Menu

What are you currently reading aloud?

Kidlit

Ramona the Pest and Hour of the Olympics (Magic Treehouse), plus Ramona Quimby, Age 8 in the car. We're stuck in a bit of a Beverly Cleary and Magic Treehouse rut.  I love Ramona, but I'm little weary of MTH.

I had to tell DD that MTH books we're designed to be kid-read and NOT read alouds when she was 5.  She seemed to have bought that.   :ph34r:  I read about five of them aloud before I came to that decision.

said Jack ... said Annie ... said Jack ... said Annie...

*primal scream*

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to tell DD that MTH books we're designed to be kid-read and NOT read alouds when she was 5.  She seemed to have bought that.   :ph34r:  I read about five of them aloud before I cam to that decision.

*primal scream*

I have read every---every....single one of the MTH books to my 6 year old. We started when he was 4, and he just would never sit down for a read aloud. And then he just loved the MTH, couldn't read them on his own. Still can't (yet!) so I read one to him...and then the next, ....

But he was sooo engaged and giving me cute little spontaneous oral narrations and telling my DH all about what was going on and chanting the opening prologue with me and the refrain of "then the treehouse started to spin faster and faster..."

That year he was 4 we read one of those every night at bedtime. We've read any new one as they've come out. We've read up to the Stallion book...so that means there are 3? that we haven't read.

And I hated it. It is not a very interesting thing for a grown up to do. But he was so cute, the way he loved them and wanted me to read aloud for really the first time. It only took one sitting to read the early books and maybe two nights to get through the longer Merlin ones. Bedtime memories my little guy will always have.

And if I'm being honest, it's why I was able to move on to other longer read alouds with him. He just never really had an interest in picture books.

I had to tell DD that MTH books we're designed to be kid-read and NOT read alouds when she was 5.  She seemed to have bought that.   :ph34r:  I read about five of them aloud before I came to that decision.

*primal scream*

ha! I am totally the sort of mom who bans things that annoy her (ahem, noisy toys), but I have non-reader who LOVES them, and he willingly listens to VERY little, so I'm willing to do one occasionally. This one has seemed more painful than most! 

Our current before bed read aloud is The BFG by Roal Dahl.  I just don't love to read it (especially at night - it is SO HARD to get those made up words and names!) but my DDs are liking it…. :confused:   It is strange to me because DD1 is usually into very girly books and this one is NOT girly.  At all.  (I mean, a whiz popper??  Come on!  I guess potty humor is fun for any 6 or 7 yo, boy or girl.)

DD2 is reading through all the Hank the Cowdog books and DD1 is working through all the Nancy Drew.  She just got off of an Estes feast of books.  (These are for their "free-reading" choices.)

We also read aloud in the mornings, Vos Storybook Bible, and SOTW2. :)

I am reading Kate diCamillo The Illuminated Adventures of Sophie and Ulysses.  I like it. :)  I am pre-reading for DDs.

I just finished Wings of Fire Book Three:  The Hidden Kingdom (for the second time). We're on our second time through this series-- waiting for the last book to come out in March.

Also just finished Squire's Quest. Strangely, I picked up The Legend of the King as an e-book checkout without realizing it was the same series I was reading aloud. I couldn't figure out why they were so similar (same characters).  :huh:  I thought, "Wow, I've been missing all these characters in King Arthur stories for all these years . . . ")

Not sure what we'll move onto next.

Pooh

I want to read him Trumpet of the Swan so bad, but I'm trying to get out of "Is he ready for_____ yet?" mode and back into "He'll be too old for ____ soon!" mode.

The Book of Virtues. We just started doing a poetry tea on Wednesdays this year. I read poetry from a couple of books then, Shel Silverstein, or Volland's Mother Goose edition. Then we read Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare by Nesbit aloud to finish up our tea. It's been so fun! :)

We always have several in progress. We are now in a bit of a turnover as we just finished our math and poetry read-alouds.  We're also close to finishing a couple others.

Right now our favorite is probably the Corfu Trilogy by Gerald Durrell. These books have so much to offer as read-alouds, not the least of which is absolute hilarity.  :laugh:  :smilielol5:  When they were first recommend by an evolutionary biologist acquaintance of ours, his caveat was that they be read-aloud. He was spot-on!

My Family and Other Animals--finished

Birds, Beasts, and Relatives--will finish soon

Fauna and Family (Also known as The Gardens of the Gods)--Next in line! Hope to start in the spring.

And not a read aloud but I just learned that there are sequels to The Giver. That's the next thing on my independent reading list.

Don't be surprised when the next book in the trilogy quartet isn't really a sequel. The third will tie the first two together. Threw me off. (Didn't realize there was a 4th book. Now I'll have to find that one.)

We've started A Knight's Castle.

Just finished The Midnight Folk and I'm trying to decide on the next one. Right now, I'm leaning towards Momo, but I also want to get to Bridge to Terabithia, Mary Poppins, and The Little White Horse. Then there's also the sequel to Midnight Folk, The Box of Delights.

Am I the only one that has terrible trouble deciding the next book to read?

We always have several in progress. We are now in a bit of a turnover as we just finished our math and poetry read-alouds.  We're also close to finishing a couple others.

Right now our favorite is probably the Corfu Trilogy by Gerald Durrell. These books have so much to offer as read-alouds, not the least of which is absolute hilarity.  :laugh:  :smilielol5:  When they were first recommend by an evolutionary biologist acquaintance of ours, his caveat was that they be read-aloud. He was spot-on!

Fauna and Family (Also known as The Gardens of the Gods)--Next in line! Hope to start in the spring.

Right after reading this, I ordered My Family and Other Animals because it looks like DD would love it. You are enabling my addiction. I did not need to buy another book.  :P

I'm homeschooling my 8 year old.

Not for school:

Me: Rascal by Sterling North

Husband: The Two Towers by Tolkien

For School: we're in SOTW 2, chapter 24 The Ottoman Empire

supplemental: The Legend of the Persian Carpet by Tomie DePaola

supplemental: The Asian empires by Stefof (selected readings)

I loved these books, he's a hysterical writer.  I hadn't thought of reading them aloud.  I do think my kids would love them!

Last night, reading Swallows and Amazons, Morgan said, "I love this book!"  So it's a hit with the kids.  Me, I'm a little bored with the constant sailing references, mostly because I don't really get them.  I keep thinking that dh should be reading this book to them. . . . 

We'll be starting Five Elements of Effective Thinking, as we're wrapping up Zaccaro's Ten Things.  That one has also been a hit, especially with the 7 yo! Go figure.

I confess that I don't read novels aloud much as my children and I prefer listening to audiobooks. It works best for me to read shorter stories, fairy tales and picture books aloud and save the chapter books for all of us to enjoy on audiobook.

Last week we listened to "Clementine."

Right now we're finishing up Roald Dahl's "Boy." My children have decided that they absolutely would never want to go to an English boarding school. Poor Roald.

I reserved and just picked up the Laura Ingalls Wilder "The Long Winter" CD set from the library last night. Seemed very fitting for this time of year seeing as we're in the midst of our own terrible, long winter. I imagine we'll start it this evening or tomorrow.

Ds has been listening to a ton of audiobooks, this week he's listened to Bud, Not Buddy, Sounder and Middle School is the Worst. I just recently finished My Side of the Mountain as a RA and have Howl's Moving Castle waiting at the library for our next one, hopefully I can get it today, this week is a busy one though. I have various picture books for dds.

DD has decided that Little Britches is too sad and has requested another read aloud.  I gave her a choice between:

Time Cat

Chuck and Danielle

King of the Wind

The last of the Really Great Whangdoodles 

Swallows and Amazons

I will keep you updated once she's decided.   :laugh:

We do a lot of audiobooks here too and two of DD's recent favorites have been the Enola Holmes mysteries by Nancy Springer and Chasing Vermeer

Just finished The Midnight Folk and I'm trying to decide on the next one. Right now, I'm leaning towards Momo, but I also want to get to Bridge to Terabithia, Mary Poppins, and The Little White Horse. Then there's also the sequel to Midnight Folk, The Box of Delights.

Am I the only one that has terrible trouble deciding the next book to read?

We loved the Mary Poppins books!

Bridge to Terabithia.....I have so many memories of this book from various times in my life. So powerful. . .

Sparrows in the Scullery

Mattimeo (from the Red Wall series)

These are our current audio books for the car. (We are saving Mattimeo for times when dh is riding with us because he wants to hear it, too.) Listening in the car has dramatically increased our number of read alouds. Besides anyway it keeps the kids really quiet. We could make a cross country drive with merely the Redwall series. Also, Sparrows in the Scullery has been quite useful. Whenever the kids say they don't like what I cooked for dinner, then I say at least it is not as bad as what they eat at the Broggin Home for Boys.

This is a great thread!  Thanks to mentions here, we've just started "The Wheel on the School", and we'll move onto the Narnia books next, I think.  In between stories from "The Wonder Clock" and shorter read-alouds for SOTW1.

And thanks to the PP who mentioned Gerald Durrell - it's been so long since I read his books that I'd completely forgotten about him, but am so glad to be reminded!

We're reading Katie Morag's Island Stories right now by Mairi Hedderwick and the kiddo declared, "This is a good book." We also just read and enjoyed Gerald Rose's The Tiger-Skin Rug and Anita Lobel's Sven's Bridge. These are all recommendations from the four-year-olds chapter of Dorothy Butler's Babies Need Books.

I LOVE THESE BOOKS. So glad to see them recommended on this forum.

We are reading aloud The Wanderings of Odysseus: The Story of the Odyssey by Rosemary Sutcliff from the library and my beloved copy of The Fellowship of The Ring.

At bedtime, my dd is listening to BBC's dramatization of The Odyssey. Before that, she listened to an audio recording of The Hobbit by Nicol Williamson.

Nothing - and I'm missing it. 

But my Dh is reading the boys the Ranger's Apprentice series and they were not getting into anything I was reading. So I'm putting any read alouds by me on hold for awhile. 

(Besides school books, and the series I am helping Youngest read - which Eldest is also reading to himself.)