Menu

My dog got attacked today while I was running...

Hikin' Mama

He was on a leash and heeling right beside me when an off leash pitbull came from a distance and tore into him. I was kicking the dog trying to get him off and the owner came running and finally got the pit off. My dog had to have surgery and will be okay, but I am so ticked off that people with aggressive dogs are so irresponsible. This is not the first time a dog has aggressed (I don't know if that's a real word), but the first time one has been violent. What really *issed me off was that I was on a public walking trail where not only is there a leash law, but there are often little kids out walking with their moms. I gave the owner a thorough piece of my mind and told him he was going to pay for it. I got his name and number and he said he would pay, but we'll see if he follows through.

It was very upsetting. And my poor dog who did nothing to instigate the attack and didn't even fight back, just kept looking at me and crying while that dog was ripping off a huge chunk of his flesh.

I'm so sorry.  We had this happen when a Chow ripped into one of my dogs on a walk,  My dog was leashed.  The Chow was not.  The woman who insisted she had "voice control" had no control over the dog at all.  I reported her to animal control.  Unfortunately my dog is now aggressive towards any dogs that come near him when he's leashed.  

We had our leashed dog attacked by a pit bull that broke out of its yard when we walked by some years ago.  It is a terrible feeling to be so helpless in helping your pet.  It takes a long time to process the trauma of it (at least it did for us).

FWIW, the owner of the dog that attacked our dog did pay the vet bills and had their dog put down - we suggested they do it and they did.  It was horrible to want, but we were just really glad we hadn't let our kids walk that day.

It was about 3 or 4 months before our dog was allowed to walk around the house again, and much longer before she was totally normal, but she did not have any aggression issues after the fact and is no more nervous than she has always been when out and about - I remember I was scared that the attack might affect my dog's temperment and we might not be able to trust her with the kids, but it didn't cause any problems that way. 

I don't know how old your kids are, but my advice is to keep your dog very safe from them until all the pain is gone, so you don't have any doggie-in-pain-kid-not-careful-enough mistakes to deal with.

He was on a leash and heeling right beside me when an off leash pitbull came from a distance and tore into him. I was kicking the dog trying to get him off and the owner came running and finally got the pit off. My dog had to have surgery and will be okay, but I am so ticked off that people with aggressive dogs are so irresponsible. This is not the first time a dog has aggressed (I don't know if that's a real word), but the first time one has been violent. What really *issed me off was that I was on a public walking trail where not only is there a leash law, but there are often little kids out walking with their moms. I gave the owner a thorough piece of my mind and told him he was going to pay for it. I got his name and number and he said he would pay, but we'll see if he follows through.

It was very upsetting. And my poor dog who did nothing to instigate the attack and didn't even fight back, just kept looking at me and crying while that dog was ripping off a huge chunk of his flesh.

Have you told your vet the background story. They may be able to advise you to assist in making a report. When three pit bulls attacked my old horse in his corral, animal control took the incident very seriously.

Best Wishes for doggie for a full recovery, and for you to get past the shock.

It makes me livid just reading this.  I would report both to animal control and to the police.  I would file charges if the police would let me. If it were a choice between the owner paying the vet bills and having a vicious dog put down, I would choose having the dog put down. 

I'm over the top that way because I don't think I could live with myself if it happened to another dog or a child afterward.

Your poor pup!  I hope he has a speedy recovery.  

My trainer advised me to carry a spray called Spray Shield Animal Deterrent Spray that is designed specifically for these types of cases.  It's supposed to be better than pepper spray because it is not supposed to affect humans if it blows back at you.  

You should report to the police department. They will then advise you how to fill out a vicious dog report.

My tiny Klee Kai had that happen to her once. The aggressor was an off leash German shepherd known for attacking other dogs. The Klee Kai breed are guard dogs at heart so she tore her leash right out of my hand and jumped up straight at the German Shepherd's neck. All I heard was a shrieking German Shepherd, and all I saw was my little dog suspended from a big dog's neck. She would not let go. The German Shepherd was bleeding so badly after we finally got the dogs apart. I was furious at the owner who was stupid enough to have a viciously provoking dog off leash. I would not pay for any vet bills. But afterwards, every time the. German shepherd sawmy tiny Klee Kai, he would run between his owner's leg and whimpers.

in my case, the injury was to the provoking dog. Nonetheless, the animal control investigated and told the owner to keep her dog on leash at all times.

Sadly, this German Shepherd kept at it and caused an older man to fall and break his hip while he was walking his own dog. He later died of complications. The owner still kept the dog, but I think she moved away.

My golden retriever was once attached by an akita while I walked her on a leash.  The akita laid in wait for her, behind a bush.  When your dog is on a leash and the attacking dog is not, it is very hard to know what to do.  Your instinct is to pull your own dog, but that gives the attacking dog an advantage, but you can't really get in the middle to tear them apart.  Anyway, I know it is a helpless feeling.  My dog was okay, just bloodied.  The owner insisted it couldn't have been his dog--you know, the one who attacked from HIS yard, who was standing behind him when I knocked on his door.  Nope, clearly mistaken identity on my part...

Anyway, animal control (in Nashville) at the time was no help.  Maybe they would be better now, but you will probably have better luck because it was a pit.  I also carried pepper spray or mace afterwards and tried to use it once, but unless you can get into the dog's eyes, which is hard because his eyes are on his head, and his head is firmly attached to your dog, it's useless.  I suggest trying out the pepper spray or mace before you ever have to use it--mine was useless. 

Thank you all for your concern. The vet said he will be okay, and I will go pick him up tonight. The other dog's tooth punctured his gut and there was a huge hunk of skin missing, but surgery and antibiotics will take care of it.

I've encountered many, many dogs on my runs. I'm usually in the country dealing with loose dogs and absent owners. When they barrel up to us, I make my dog get behind me, I stomp and yell and it usually makes the dog stop. I'm always cautious, because you never know. I've actually been bitten by a dog while riding my bike. This time, I was in town and dealing with the owner's other dog (very big, but not pitbull) who took off running towards us first. It stopped after I yelled at it. Then the pit came running. Ya, they were walking both those dogs off leash on a public walking trail.

Pepper spray would not be very effective here, as it is often windy and I fear it would blow back in my face. I am going to get some sort of something to carry to beat the dog over the head with if I encounter this again. That sounds mean, but I don't care. I am not going to get down on the ground and try to wrestle a vicious dog and I want more protection than I had yesterday.

My dog is quite fearful anyway, so I hope this doesn't make him worse. I don't know if it was his first months of life (I adopted him when he was 8 months old from a family in which the man of the house was mean to him and the wife hated dogs) or his breed, Weimaraner. He's come a long way, but he still gets scared easily by things that don't scare any other dogs I've ever known.

Thanks for listening!

I am sorry this happened. I hope the owners of the dog are paying your vet bills.

I had this happen once when I was walking my moms standard poodle.  Thankfully her dog needed a hair cut so the other dogs teeth could not penetrate.  This same dog attacked two other dogs after it attacked mine.  The first time was when a little girl was walking her dog. The people said her dog must have done something to provoke their dog. Then when it happened again the people yelled at the man and told him to keep himself and his dog on the other side of town.  Finally the town stepped up and told them they needed to get the agressive dog out of town.  At first they just told the people to keep it in the fence.  Well now the people have their house up for sale. They are mad because the whole town is "against" them. (their words)

After an incident where an aggressive Rottweiler followed me around a block, I started carrying a short, sturdy stick. It's actually a 'leg' from one of those three legged side tables that used to be so popular. My dh removed the metal hardware. Basically it's a short broom stick. Most of the dogs I encounter are mouthy and small. Simply lifting the stick and saying Go Home in a firm, deep, loud voice discourages most dogs.  On the day it doesn't I hope I'll be able to cram the stick in the dog's mouth.

The only time I tried to hit a dog was when a small poodle half the size of my cat was biting my ankles. Ugh. I never connected, but it finally discouraged the little critter.

My heart goes out to you and your poor puppy.

My ten-year-old Australian Shepherd, who had been with me since I was 18 years old and she was six weeks old, was attacked by the neighbor's two pitbulls. They broke through a fence to get at her. She also just cried while they ripped into her leg and neck until finally we got them off by simultaneously punching one in the face (my ex) and throwing a trash can at the other (me). She survived after surgery but is now aggressive when she sees other dogs. Of course I leash her at all times but I am always afraid we will be forced to put her down if we are someday unable to quickly enough tell another dog owner that she isn't friendly. We should have been helping her re-learn to socialize from the very first day. Please for your own peace of mind talk to your vet or a pet psychologist about helping her stay friendly towards other dogs.

Also, please contact animal control and see if the dog who attacked yours can be picked up. In some counties dogs who attack must be put down.

FWIW, I was given the advice afterwards that jamming something up an attacking dog's butt (a long stick/cane) would be a very effective way to get them off.  My DH was kicking that dog as hard as he could when it had our dog and there was no getting it to release.  A stick up the bum may well have worked.

:( So sorry to hear your pup went through that and that you had to witness it.  It amazes me how people can stand behind a dog that does that to another dog or human.  There was a story in the local news the other day about a little 6 year old, as well as another child and two adults who were attacked by two dogs.  These dogs jumped the fence into these people's yard and hurt the little girl bad enough to need some serious abdominal surgery.  The owner refused to sign the dogs away, but they quarantined them anyway.  This wasn't the first time the dogs had attacked.  My dogs are both docile, and animal control here has praised me often for seeing how well they are under voice control.  BUT, I still wouldn't allow them offleash outside my own yard.  

I'm so sorry your pup had to live through that. It's so scary to see it happen to. I would definitely report that animal. A dog that size, with that much power, that's vicious needs to be put down. I had a retriever attack my pit bull once. I have had to deal with dogs coming in with issues, but when it's a strange dog just attacking your pet out of no where, it can really rattle an owner up not to mention the poor dog. It's the first time I ever wished my pit would fight back but he won't fight with me there so the retriever just went nuts on him. My dh had to help pull him off and he got bit in the process. Here people get one warning for dog aggression and immediate putting the dog down for person aggression.