Menu

Don't short women have the right to wear pyjamas?

MamaBearTeacher

If you cut them, the fleece won't ravel, but the seam stitching may come undone after a few washings. If you sew at all, you could take a few stitches to reinforce that bottom corner without bothering to hem the pants. Or just live on the edge!

If you're an XS, what about girls' sizes in microfleece bottoms? They'll be much shorter. My oldest DD can wear women's "cropped" or capri PJ pants when regulars are too long still. I don't know if they make cropped fleece...

Find a pair you love, and take them to a tailor, dry cleaner, or work-at-home-mom, and pay them to hem the pants for you.  That way, you can have whatever pair you like.  Yeah, it will cost a little, maybe ten or twelve bucks, but that will go into the pocket of a local worker during holiday time, so it's all good.  

The problem isn't just the length though, if it's not a petite length...... the rise is often too long, causing the pants, even sweats, to droop & sag......... I have found petite length sweats at Kohls and petite length yoga pants at Macy's.

What is a maxi skirt?!

The opposite of a mini skirt. Those long skirts with lots of fabric.

I always wish I could get away with wearing them as a halter dress. They would still be a maxi dress on me.

I remember that scene from the first Sex in the City movie when they all had on their maxi dresses in Mexico and I knew it was going to be a long fashionless summer for me. I might as well walk around in a tent with it dragging behind me.

The opposite of a mini skirt. Those long skirts with lots of fabric.

I always wish I could get away with wearing them as a halter dress. They would still be a maxi dress on me.

I remember that scene from the first Sex in the City movie when they all had on their maxi dresses in Mexico and I knew it was going to be a long fashionless summer for me. I might as well walk around in a tent with it dragging behind me.

I'm 5'3" and still can't wear a maxi skirt, I stand at the racks and they are hanging at eye level and only a couple inches off the floor, lol maybe we could roll them, add some duct tape?

OP, I sleep in compression capris. I have been known to sleep in my entire running gear of sports bra, capris and running t.. getting up and going. and the days i don't, I at least FEEL active LOL

I'm 5'2 (ok, really 5'1) and I finally found a maxi skirt that works for me. It's a junior size rollover one I got on amazon. When I first saw it, I thought there'd be no way, but it just rolls on up as much as you need it to, and somehow it's tight enough that it doesn't make it super bulky and unattractive. I have to wear a longer shirt with it, but I was so excited to find it. I wanted it to wear on planes when I like my legs covered and warm but wanted something more comfy than pants for long flights. I picked it based on reviews that said it ran way too small.

As for pajama bottoms, I mostly just step on them but I got some fleece ones from Old Navy last Christmas that actually fit. They aren't even kids' and don't give me droopy drawers. I wish I had bought 6 pair. They were probably a manufacturing mistake and this years' pants will be long again. ;)

I'm short and small, but all arms and legs. I used to have a huge problem with everything being a few inches too short, but lately things (especially jeans) have been longer. I don't get it at all.

Yeah, I've noticed this, too.

I round up to 5' and am used to having things too long. But now the petite sizes are RIDICULOUSLY long, not just a little bit long.  I think it's because so many women are wearing heels now, even with jeans, so the hemlines have lowered to accommodate the trend. 

Sad thing is that even in heels (and I typically wear 4-5") I'm still tripping over my hem to the point I have to have everything altered. It used to be that if I wore heels, the pants would run a tad too long but not so bad that I had to have it altered; I just had to sometimes pull the back hem out from under a stiletto if I moved too quickly.

I round up to 5'

I like that.  Except I'd have to do a lot of rounding.

Also, 5'2" feels short to people?

I always wanted to be 5'2" because to me it equaled average/normal height! 

Same here.  I'd feel wonderfully tall at 5'2."

We have a dry cleaners close to the house that does hemming for $8.  The ladies there know me well.

Also, 5'2" feels short to people?

I always wanted to be 5'2" because to me it equaled average/normal height! 

I guess it's all relative. LOL

It feels short when I try on clothes but not so short when I'm with a crowd of other ladies. I also have a longer torso which keeps my tummy flat but means my inseam needs to be shorter than the average for my height. My 4'11 friend wears longer pants than me. I've claimed 5'2 for years, but I'm really 5'1 and a smidge. I think average height is 5'4, so it's just a little shorter than average but normal people clothes are made for women who are 5'5. And I rarely wear heels...

I have the opposite problem: sleeve length and leg length are almost always too short for me (not a whole foot too short, lol, but still short). I'm not that tall, for crying out loud. :glare:

Yep, me too.  And short people can always remove extra fabric - but tall people are stuck looking silly.  :glare:

I think 5'6" is average for women in the US.   So 5'2" is about 4 inches shorter than average.

I was once in an elevator with two women I know who were both under 5".   I looked at them and said 'for once in my life I feel tall'.   I don't think they appreciated it.

Every statistic I've ever seen said the average height for U.S. females is 5'4".

And yeah . . . I don't typically "appreciate" comments, although I will smile as politely as possible.  IMO making comments about any aspect of another person's appearance that is totally out of their control is exceedingly rude.  But some of the things that I've heard fall out of peoples' mouths over the years have been rather mind boggling.

we were thrilled when 2dd dated a guy who was 6'7" because for the first time in her life she felt short.

I have the opposite problem: sleeve length and leg length are almost always too short for me (not a whole foot too short, lol, but still short). I'm not that tall, for crying out loud. :glare:

2dd and the constant refrain of "these sleeves are too short". (I did finally measure her arm span. I was much more sympathetic after that.)  just to get sleeves long enough meant shopping at better quality stores (re: clothes that fit cost more) - even the off price version of the exact same item had shorter sleeves.     my arms are short on top of me being only average height and all my sleeves need to be shortened.   pants are a pain to find some that fit properly.  maybe one reason I wear jeans so much.

I always wondered this when it came to maxi skirts - they only seem to fit women 5'10"+ ....   you can cut fleece and nobody would probably know!

and regular skirts are too short for taller women, unless they want to wear something as a mini-skirt or well above the knee.

eta; dd's orchestra ordered long dresses to use as their "uniform".  one length fits all, meant to be hemmed for proper length.  we couldn't make her's longer and ended up leaving it completely unhemmed..

I feel your pain. I'm not short (5'5")but I have a long torso and short legs. so pj pants are always too long and the tops too short.

you can cut microfleece (I do it all the time) and you can also cut knit maxi skirts (I do that too). many of the maxi skirts come that way (unhemmed).

That's right.  Short people CAN have them shortened.  We tall people who aren't all that tall (5'7") don't have a choice.  It's just more recently that they have pants for taller women (last 10 yrs).  There are TONS of stores with petite sections but I have yet to see a woman's tall section.

This is so bizarre to me.  Men's pants are always sold by length.  Women's, not always.  I do not understand that! 

Yes, years ago that's what I had to do - order from Lands End and/or LLBean because it was the only place that made pant length to order.  I'm only 5'7" but have long legs.

PJ's are ALWAY too short on me!  I call them capri pj's.

Thanks for all the replies.  It's good to know you can cut microfleece.  I might start with this because it seems easiest.  With the piles and piles of pjs in the stores you'd think they might make a few shorter ones.  They always have piles leftover after Christmas.  Even petite stuff is usually really long.  I do have some pants that I bought years ago that fit but I can't seem to find any in the stores now.  I might try the girls section if they have larger girl sizes. 

If you cut them, the fleece won't ravel, but the seam stitching may come undone after a few washings. If you sew at all, you could take a few stitches to reinforce that bottom corner without bothering to hem the pants. Or just live on the edge!

If you're an XS, what about girls' sizes in microfleece bottoms? They'll be much shorter. My oldest DD can wear women's "cropped" or capri PJ pants when regulars are too long still. I don't know if they make cropped fleece...

There is a product called Fray Check you can put on those seam ends so they won't come unraveled.  It is clear and dries clear.

I'm 5'2 but It matters if your height is more in your torso or legs. I have short legs and so I really need petite pants. I hate shirts that are too short, which I find many to be. Also, I have short arms, like freakishly short, and my dh is always making t-rex jokes :glare: so pretty much all long sleeve shirts are too long in the arm. I can't use most circuit arm work out machines with proper form because of my short arms. it really is strange, but I digress... I find that the cheaper pajama sets from Target fit pretty ok. If I wear slippers then it takes up enough of the extra length and only a little drags the ground at the heel. It doesn't really bother me.

Me too. I'm 5'8", so not overly tall, but man oh man I hate clothes shopping! It doesn't help that I'm small boned, but still managed to get linebacker shoulders, somehow. :(