Menu

Xmas presents - boycotting computer games/screens

Hakg

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We boycott almost every year...almost. Now if only I could get the grandparents firmly on board...

My SIL has her kids make a list of experiences/small trips that they would like to receive for Christmas. I think I'm going to give that a go this year. :-)

Granted my son has electronics already, but we are not adding to the arsenal at all. No video games or consoles. Nothing. He is going to get books, a pocket knife, a flint, cool outdoor gear & some other stuff I've not thought of yet, lol. I need to think of some great ideas and be sure to tell the grandparents too! :)

Nope.

A PS4 and an XBox One will be under the tree for our ds this year, along with lots of games and accessories. There will also be games for the systems that he already has, as well as at least a few new computer games. There will be other stuff, too, but ds loves video games, so I wouldn't even think of boycotting the things he wants most.

I don't see any of it as a waste of money, nor do I view any of it as being junk. It would be a waste of money if he didn't use the stuff after I bought it, but he does, so I'm happy to buy it all for him.

Nope.

A PS4 and an XBox One will be under the tree for our ds this year, along with lots of games and accessories. There will also be games for the systems that he already has, as well as at least a few new computer games. There will be other stuff, too, but ds loves video games, so I wouldn't even think of boycotting the things he wants most.

I don't see any of it as a waste of money, nor do I view any of it as being junk. It would be a waste of money if he didn't use the stuff after I bought it, but he does, so I'm happy to buy it all for him.

No offence intended.  This is what my DS already has: Ipad, Ipad mini, Ipod Touch, Kindle Fire, PS Vita, PS3, Wii U, Xbox, 2 laptops, 3DS, regular DS, and mountains of games to go with all of these devices.  He's not missing out, and yes of course he does love this stuff - no denying that.  However, I have been reading about the damage these devices are causing to kids (even in moderation) and I want to limit his exposure, so this year am opting for outdoorsy toys and things that will encourage exercise.

Really, I am just curious about those who ARE boycotting to see how many of you feel the same.

No offence intended. This is what my DS already has: Ipad, Ipad mini, Ipod Touch, Kindle Fire, PS Vita, PS3, Wii U, Xbox, 2 laptops, 3DS, regular DS, and mountains of games to go with all of these devices. He's not missing out, and yes of course he does love this stuff - no denying that. However, I have been reading about the damage these devices are causing to kids (even in moderation) and I want to limit his exposure, so this year am opting for outdoorsy toys and things that will encourage exercise.

Really, I am just curious about those who ARE boycotting to see how many of you feel the same.

Are you sure we don't have the same kid? They both have all the same stuff!!! :D

I completely understand wanting him to broaden his horizons a bit. My ds isn't really the outdoorsy type, other than using the basketball court in our yard, so I keep trying to come up with interesting science, art supplies, and photography stuff for him, so he has alternatives to the video games. I also bought some board games and strategy games that I hope he will like, but those things are usually kind of hit and miss.

I am wondering how your ds will feel on Christmas morning when he opens packages filled with the things you wanted him to have, rather than the things he wanted.

Actually, I am doing pretty much the opposite. I have for years bought other non tech stuff and toys and found that it goes unopened and unused. So, my ds will get less gifts this year, but a few key electronic things that will get used. I am just over buying stuff for the sake of buying stuff. He asked for and got Animal Crossing and Scribblenauts for his 3ds in September for his birthday and has been playing them with time limits ever since. I could have bought him toys or Legos or sports stuff, but in the end I would be loading that stuff up a couple years down the road to send it to the thrift store.

Actually, I am doing pretty much the opposite. I have for years bought other non tech stuff and toys and found that it goes unopened and unused. So, my ds will get less gifts this year, but a few key electronic things that will get used. I am just over buying stuff for the sake of buying stuff. He asked for and got Animal Crossing and Scribblenauts for his 3ds in September for his birthday and has been playing them with time limits ever since. I could have bought him toys or Legos or sports stuff, but in the end I would be loading that stuff up a couple years down the road to send it to the thrift store.

I have done the same thing. There are still a few things in unopened packages from last Christmas that I thought would be wonderful and creative, but apparently ds didn't agree. ;) (He's donating them to charity this Christmas.)

I'm buying my ds the videogame stuff because it's what he wants. I'm not going to buy him what I want him to have, unless he wants it, too. Sure, I buy "extra" stuff that I think is cool in addition to the things he asked for, but I make sure to get the things I know he wants first.

It's Christmas. I want my ds to love his gifts, not wish I'd gotten him something different.

We usually aim for a balance.  Most of the gifts will be non electronic, but they always get a couple of new Wii games which typically get played the week after Christmas 24-7.  And an iTunes card to buy a new app or two for fun.

The majority of gifts for my 9 yos will probably be books, Legos, board games and clothes.

I am wondering how your ds will feel on Christmas morning when he opens packages filled with the things you wanted him to have, rather than the things he wanted.

Well, the thing is, he has so much already, does he really need the new PS4 when he has the PS2 and 3 and so many other platforms? How much is enough?  His favourite thing to do is play Minecraft on his computer, and I think even a shiny new PS4 (which here costs a little under $600) will be cast aside in favour of Minecraft (which I am already limiting).  I feel that purchasing more of this stuff is just encouraging him and its not really the path I want him to take.  Mine used to be outdoorsy until the dreaded Minecraft entered our house!  and yes it is *dreaded* to me because its far too addictive.

I too wonder how he will feel not getting anything he has asked for.  So you have me questioning my decision.  I don't want to be Grinch Mom!

We usually aim for a balance.  Most of the gifts will be non electronic, but they always get a couple of new Wii games which typically get played the week after Christmas 24-7.  And an iTunes card to buy a new app or two for fun.

The majority of gifts for my 9 yos will probably be books, Legos, board games and clothes.

Mine is 9 too.  I think balance is a good idea.  I'm leaning in your direction now with perhaps one or two electronics and the rest not.

Well, the thing is, he has so much already, does he really need the new PS4 when he has the PS2 and 3 and so many other platforms? How much is enough? His favourite thing to do is play Minecraft on his computer, and I think even a shiny new PS4 (which here costs a little under $600) will be cast aside in favour of Minecraft (which I am already limiting). I feel that purchasing more of this stuff is just encouraging him and its not really the path I want him to take. Mine used to be outdoorsy until the dreaded Minecraft entered our house! and yes it is *dreaded* to me because its far too addictive.

I too wonder how he will feel not getting anything he has asked for. So you have me questioning my decision. I don't want to be Grinch Mom!

Oops, sorry! :blush: I didn't mean to make you feel like Grinch Mom!!!

I'm not sure how much is enough, and I know my ds doesn't "need" the new systems, either, but they are what he wants, and I can't think of anything else he would prefer. I do know that he would be disappointed if he didn't get the PS4. He knows he's getting that one, because there were games I knew he would want me to preorder because of the preorder bonuses, so I had to tell him about it. The XBox One will be a complete surprise, as I have been very clear that I'm not buying it until at least his birthday. (OK, so I'm kind of an Evil Lying Mom... but it's for a good cause, right? ;))

Have you considered getting the new system for him, but only a few games to go along with

it? You'll end up buying more games later on, but you don't necessarily have to get a bunch of them all at once. That way, you could still get some of the outdoorsy stuff you hope he will like, but you'll have your bases covered in terms of getting him what he really wants.

See how easily I'm spending your money? I'm very good at that! :D

I wish I could find a PS4 or XBox One. I am on every "notify" list imaginable. I waited too late to get on the waiting lists.

In other words, I may be boycotting by default.

I heard that Best Buy stores are going to have extra PS4s on launch day. I don't know how many they will have per store, but they're going to be handing out numbers a few hours before the launch. You could call your local store and ask about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if GameStop stores get extras, too, so it might be worth calling them a few days before the release date to ask about it, and to see if you can reserve one.

If I hear that any other stores are getting extra PS4 or XBox One systems, I'll send you a PM. I know we got lucky last year at Toys R Us when they had Wii-U consoles first thing one morning. No one else had them and we were sure we'd never find one... but there they were, so you just never know.

My boys are 9. We only own x-box 360, a laptop, and an e-reader. My sons, and one in particular, would love more. But I do have concerns about screens. I do not like what I see, particularly in one child, after any significant screen time.  I struggle with this!

Their lists were lego dominated this year. But I am pretty sure neither thinks a game system is actually an option and so wouldn't put it on a list. At this point, I don't think we're doing any electronic stuff. If they were asking/had their hearts set, I don't know what I would do. Probably a mix. But we'd still limit screen time. The balance is hard.

Not here. Each of the girls is getting a 2DS, one with Pokémon X and one with Y. And a couple other games, probably Professor Layton and Animal Crossing. These are the first Game Boys that aren't hand-me-downs from their father. We have a Wii, but the spend most of game time on their tablets. They also have access to DH's PC (for Cube World, Minecraft, and a couple other games).

They also each have well-stocked e-readers, but that's not for games, obviously. :)

We own a Wii and an XBox 360 (that James Bond bought to take to Afghanistan last year, and remarkably survived).  Other than James Bond's and my iPad minis, we have no handheld games.  I'm the Grinch Mom on that one, and refuse to buy one.

I think Indy got one video game last year, which was Lego Star Wars, IIRC, and the rest were Legos and Nerf stuff.  This year, he'll be getting Nerf stuff (he loves Nerf!), Legos (of course!) and some other random things.  The only 2 electronics he'll be getting are a remote control helicopter (if I can keep it away from James Bond) and a nice camera (from my mom and step-dad).  He hasn't even asked for any video games.  He'd love to have a DS, but he knows that's not going to happen, so he doesn't ask.

I don't think it's "bad" stuff, but IMO, at some point, how much is too much?  We have loads of games for the Wii and some for the XBox, and after the novelty has worn off, they get put in a drawer and rarely played once a new game comes along.  I don't like that.  Of course we never get tired of Wii Sports Resort and Wii Winter Sports though!  I'm awesome at the ski jump!  I also like to wave to the crowd along with my little Mii character.  It makes me feel like I'm there. Oh, and I'm pretty kick arse at Mario Cart.  ;)

Have you considered getting the new system for him, but only a few games to go along with

it? You'll end up buying more games later on, but you don't necessarily have to get a bunch of them all at once. That way, you could still get some of the outdoorsy stuff you hope he will like, but you'll have your bases covered in terms of getting him what he really wants.

I have to buy games too!  sheesh!

My boys are 9. We only own x-box 360, a laptop, and an e-reader. My sons, and one in particular, would love more. But I do have concerns about screens. I do not like what I see, particularly in one child, after any significant screen time.  I struggle with this!

We have the same situation here, which is why I don't like to encourage these things. 

We do love our screen time in this house. If finances were better, I'd probably opt for getting a ps4, but they're not. So right now I'm thinking perhaps small items for under the tree/ in stockings and seeing if maybe we could afford something like a day to Legoland. If not, then I'll see if my mom wants to go in on it. I'm so sick of too much stuff over giftmas and would rather spend the money on an activity/outing for all of us instead. Along that vein, I think when asked for suggestions I'll offer up zoo or museum memberships.

I wouldn't buy a new system when the ps3 we have is perfectly fine.  But no, we don't boycott video games or limit screen time, we love it.

We actually have an old ps2 and still get games for it that we loved and want the kids to have a chance to play, like the Kingdom Hearts series.  The PS3 is good old fashioned family fun around here, we play lots of hilarious cooperative games like Little Big Planet and the like and keep up with beloved franchises like Tomb Raider and Lego games.  We also use it to watch Netflix and Amazon Prime since we don't have cable and I just loaded all my Christmas music onto it.

Our girls also each have a DS system, one DSi and one 3DSXL and we usually get them a new game for Christmas.

They are now also both into Steam and it's games on their laptops so a gift card for that might go in their stocking.

DVDS are also on the Christmas list.  We love movies.

My boys are selling their Xbox 360 and the few games they have with it as they never use it!  But instead they want the Wii U.

They mostly play with their 3DS and computer games, but they do have a Wii so the Wii U will be an added bonus.  We will see if they play with it.

Wow, no offense at all intended with my comment here, just an observation that things have changed so much in 10 years!  Ten years ago my son (oldest child) was 15, and we had one desktop computer, absolutely nothing else.  (Because nothing else was available yet!)  He did buy himself an iPod when he was either 16 or 17, I can't remember.  He was the first person in our town of 5,000 to have one.  I still remember the crowds that would gather to look at it!  Most people had never even seen one before!  We (even my kids) still buy very conservatively when it comes to electronics, but not because we're against them.  It's just the non-tech background we come from, I guess.

I have a 9 year old. He is into mine craft and wants an xbox to play minecraft. I have put my foot down and said no. He has been doing better about limiting screen time and spends most of his free time with his Legos now.

I have talked to DS a lot about how marketing and our society creates pressure to have the latest and greatest when what he has works fine. Ds knows that on the off chance he ever gets one it will not be upgraded for any reason. I have explained that it is wasteful and I live those words. I have a smart phone that is bordering on being an antique. Just last week someone commented about how they haven't seen this phone for years. I only have this phone because my last one crapped out and this was what the warrenty covered. I have had it 3 years.

I would not buy a new game system when we have systems that work perfectly fine. I have been listening and saving ideas of games I think will get longer lasting play to enhance what we already have. My 9 year old will spend a good deal of time reading game reviews, etc before he chooses what games he thinks he would like. I am finding that if I listen to him and then follow up with my own research, we both win.

I'm stumped as to what to get my 12 year old. He has an XBOX but rarely ever plays. He does love the Skylanders game but that's about it. He also has a Kindle Fire which he loves but he doesn't play on that much either. I know he loves legos, reading and swimming. I was going to get him another pair of practice jammers, maybe a cool towel and a couple of caps. He already has a parka and good swim bag. I was thinking about maybe going in with my mom and getting him an ipod or other mp3 player since he does love music. He has some music on his kindle fire but it's not so portable.

I have a 9 year old. He is into mine craft and wants an xbox to play minecraft. I have put my foot down and said no. 

my little guy would love an Xbox too (he's 9 also). he has a minecraft account & a roblox membership. he has a nexus 7, Wii, two DSi's and a gameboy.  we just don't need anything else right now. his birthday is in march and he will get a ridiculous amount of cash from grandparents & he can spend that on new games if he likes.  but for christmas, we are not going to buy more consoles and games. he asked for some specific books, (chris d'lacey & more rick riordan), as well as outdoor type stuff & told me to "surprise him" with the rest.  i've been looking & trying to find something that i know he will love - ugh...still can't figure it out though. i really want it to be something he would have never thought of, but it will blow his mind! :)

for screen time, we've been incorporating scratch a lot more, which i find pretty educational.  my son definitely doesn't self-regulate with minecraft or roblox well at all. i have to put a time limit on it or he would be there all.day.long. 

someone mentioned movies & we are going to buy dvd's for christmas. he did ask for the percy jackson sea of monsters, so that is in my queue at amazon when it comes out in mid december.   :)

My turning 8 and 9 boys' wish list are

Flute

Chemistry molecular kit - diamond and/or bucky ball one (we have the organic/inorganic kit already)

Chess set (the nice pretty wooden board with lovely carved pieces kind)

Mindstorm EV3 (they won't mind the vex robotics kit either)

So the robotics kit would be the only electronics stuff.  We don't buy WII, Nintendo, PS or any game system.  They are allowed games on their iPad since hubby already play Plants vs Zombies.

Wow, no offense at all intended with my comment here, just an observation that things have changed so much in 10 years!  Ten years ago my son (oldest child) was 15, and we had one desktop computer, absolutely nothing else.  (Because nothing else was available yet!)  He did buy himself an iPod when he was either 16 or 17, I can't remember.  He was the first person in our town of 5,000 to have one.  I still remember the crowds that would gather to look at it!  Most people had never even seen one before!  We (even my kids) still buy very conservatively when it comes to electronics, but not because we're against them.  It's just the non-tech background we come from, I guess.

Perhaps this has something to do with the small town you live in? ipods have been around since before I was married (10 years ago). I had a friend who bought a large one to put her entire music collection on.

I had an Atari 3600 as a child. My husband grew up with a Gameboy and discusses games with our nephew that HE played as a child.

I was actually thinking the opposite! I was thinking of getting iPads for the kids. They're 6 and 3. It would never occur to them to ask for their own, but they would be beyond thrilled. They can be loaded with educational apps and the very best part- they would not add to the piles of toys they already have. However......I know I would have to constantly police their use. My 3 year old cries whenever she has to put up the iPad. And she's been known to get ahold of it when she wasn't supposed to and hide in her closet to play it. But we already have those problems.....i'm not sure it would be any worse if she had her own. I can't really decide. I considered this last year too and ultimately decided against it.

Well, the thing is, he has so much already, does he really need the new PS4 when he has the PS2 and 3 and so many other platforms? How much is enough?  His favourite thing to do is play Minecraft on his computer, and I think even a shiny new PS4 (which here costs a little under $600) will be cast aside in favour of Minecraft (which I am already limiting).  I feel that purchasing more of this stuff is just encouraging him and its not really the path I want him to take.  Mine used to be outdoorsy until the dreaded Minecraft entered our house!  and yes it is *dreaded* to me because its far too addictive.

I too wonder how he will feel not getting anything he has asked for.  So you have me questioning my decision.  I don't want to be Grinch Mom!

Not trying to talk you out of your decision - promise.

I still hold some very childish resentment towards my parents for always buying me what they wanted me to have, instead of things that lined up with my own interests.

What about a compromise? Either/or. He can have one of the tech toys he asked for and then ask him what else, that doesn't involve a screen, he would like - books, experiences, outdoor toys, etc.

I think it was just where you lived, lol.

10 years ago I was 19. We had several computers in the house, cell phones, etc.

I would love to get my kids laptops for Christmas, but $$$!

We are pretty low-tech compared to most people, I think.  Kids have ipod touches and an Xbox of uncertain age, and the 3 of us share a desktop. (My husband has a desktop in his home office and a laptop for work.)  I have a kindle fire and am getting another one for the family to use.   My husband was a computer engineer for 20 years, so we're not anti-tech nor particularly anti screen time, and I'm sure my kids would love more, newer, cooler stuff.  But so far we seem to get by OK.   I do wonder what to get them for  Christmas besides books, though. 

lol!

Well, we won't be getting a PS4 for awhile.  I guess I could always try to find one and charge it, but I try to avoid that.  ;)  :D  DH would love one, though.  

Yeah, DH.  The boys don't care one way or another about the PS4 - they don't play anything on the PS3.  (Scratch that - Link has played Mini Ninjas.  But mostly we relegate them to our bedroom TV, where the PS2 and old Nintendo systems are, and he plays Kingdom Hearts, Lego ___, or Zelda)   We have a Wii that they play some but not a ton.  Link has an original DS that we gave him a couple of years ago, passed down from DH.  We still wrapped it and everything lol.  :)

This year we've decided to get Link and Astro each a 3DS XL, one with Pokemon X and one with Y.  

Pink will most likely be getting the newest LeapPad thing.  I said she had to get something, too.  :D

As far as gaming systems go, we have a lot when you count all our old platforms and such.  But we don't allow screen time until after dinner, unless it's really rainy or freezing cold (or insanely hot) outside or something.  

When I think about my childhood, I would watch movies and TV a lot, but not nearly as much as some of my friends.  Still more than we do now though - and it didn't do any harm that I'm aware of.  ;)  I DO get what people are saying - I'm not trying to be contrary!!  That's why we don't allow much screen time.  I just don't worry about it all that much, though.

So, if my 12-year-old wants a Mercedes, I should get it for him?  I understand what you're saying, of course, but I really think my objections carry more weight than his requests. 

I only know two items on DS's list so far, and both of them are well over $3,000 each.  Not gonna happen!  He had no idea they were that expensive, though, and seemed to understand when I told him he would not be getting them.

In the same vein, I am not going to spend thousands of dollars on game systems that will be obsolete in a few years and that he can use only 2-3 hours a week anyway.

I can think of FAR better ways to use that money - and some of them would even benefit him!  ;)

So, if my 12-year-old wants a Mercedes, I should get it for him?  I understand what you're saying, of course, but I really think my objections carry more weight than his requests. 

I only know two items on DS's list so far, and both of them are well over $3,000 each.  Not gonna happen!  He had no idea they were that expensive, though, and seemed to understand when I told him he would not be getting them.

In the same vein, I am not going to spend thousands of dollars on game systems that will be obsolete in a few years and that he can use only 2-3 hours a week anyway.

I can think of FAR better ways to use that money - and some of them would even benefit him!  

I think the important thing is to have a balance.  As long as you (general) aren't buying ONLY things that you (general) want the kid to have, and nothing that the kid actually asked for, year after year, I don't think there's a right or wrong way.  Kwim?

I think the important thing is to have a balance.  As long as you (general) aren't buying ONLY things that you (general) want the kid to have, and nothing that the kid actually asked for, year after year, I don't think there's a right or wrong way.  Kwim?

Yeah, my kids always want things we can't get them ($1000 DSLR? uh, no) and of course I'd like things I can't have too.  I'm not getting a new kitchen this year even though that is the best gift I can think of right now.

We generally set expectations for our kids.  I don't ask for lists but kids have ways of letting their desires known.  At least mine do.  When I know they really want something that we can't get them, we just tell them not to expect it.   I don't think my kids have ever expressed a desire for something I didn't want them to have.  Well, except that year my son asked for a set of throwing knives.   :lol:

I can remember as a kid being really disappointed at Christmas because my parents never gave me what I really wanted, or gave me a cheap knockoff.  Like real Levi's jeans, and they bought some bargain pair from Sears.  I didn't realize they simply couldn't afford the things I wanted.  We don't talk about finances too much with our kids, but they know we have limits. 

We are boycotting this year except for one Skylander character each. My kids only have a wii and they really only love to play Skylanders on it but they spend more time banned from it then playing with it. They fight terribly when they play and they get really grumpy when I tell them to turn it off. We went through a period where they could think of nothing else but Skylanders and they were rushing through school to get time to play. They haven't played for a couple weeks now and are actually playing outside and making up their own games again.

I know my kids would love the new Skylanders game but since they hardly get to play the last one what is the point?

My kids would all love an Ipad but there is just no way. $500 each for kids under 8.... I think not. Plus they just can't be trusted with them. They don't look after anything and my DD is clumsy as heck. One drop and all that money down the drain. I told my kids they can wait for things like that till they are old enough to buy them themselves...like I had too. I can barely afford to buy these things for myself... I'm not buying them for my kids!!!

Luckily my kids are still happy with traditional toys. They are getting playmobil, geomags and a couple other things they have requested. I like to get them the things they specifically ask for ...even the waste of money, pointless ones( my 4 yo really wants that new furreal kitty that is like $70 and yes Santa is bringing it) but there are still places that I think the line needs to be drawn even if my kids would really like it. Screen has to be limited here because my kids can't handle it right now and fight too much when it's on ( throw controllers at each other and physically attack each other).

So the boycott is on this year at my house.

We aren’t boycotting per se but we don’t do a lot of video games. We don’t have any systems. The kids have Kindle Fires and have games on those but usually if they want more games or stuff for the games they buy with their own money. 

Are you ideas of other stuff to get or how to deal with the disappointment? The latter is harder I imagine, and I’m not sure Christmas is the best time to make a stand if these are things they’ve been able to have in the past. I think the idea to buy some electronic/technological stuff and some not is a good one. And then maybe after Christmas (some time next year) examine whether or not you want to make new rules or have new family approach to this issue. 

As far as other stuff to get we’re going more and more towards experiences over stuff. They get a ton of stuff from other family members and despite efforts to keep that to a mininum it’s not going to change. For oldest’s birthday next week I’m getting him a special behind the scenes reptile experience at the zoo. For Christmas we got tickets to a play they will be excited about. We’ve done days at a ropes climbing course, climbing walls, a night at Medieval Times, a family weekend at a water park (kind of like Great Wolf Lodge), snow tubing, sports games all as presents. Maybe something like that might be the way to go...it would be less obviously your stuff vs. their stuff and it might be cool enough to get over the fact that it isn’t the thing they want. 

Well, I've been considering an Itouch or a handheld gaming system for the kids but I wasn't sure.  I'm glad I opened this thread because it made me look up about the 2DS and I think if we go ahead, we'll get that one (along with Pokemon X and Y).    I guess that wasn't really the point of the thread though. :lol:

Ds still occasionally plays Pokemon on his older sisters very old original Gameboy.  They both have Leapsters but have outgrown most of the games so we have been thinking of getting a new hand-held.

We have a Wii and ds is getting Skylanders Swap Force from gramma.  Dd might get a game too if we find something we think she'll like.

They both have their own desktop computers that sit in the living room and they play mostly Minecraft and Roblox on.  We don't have any tablets but I have an Itouch that they very occasionally get to play on (or listen to music - ds loves Glee songs).

Well, I've been considering an Itouch or a handheld gaming system for the kids but I wasn't sure. I'm glad I opened this thread because it made me look up about the 2DS and I think if we go ahead, we'll get that one (along with Pokemon X and Y). I guess that wasn't really the point of the thread though. :lol: .

I think I might have derailed the thread way back at the beginning. :blush:

Sorry, Hakg!!!!!

I can think of FAR better ways to use that money - and some of them would even benefit him!  ;)

Yes this.. all this...

I would never think of doing that.  Of course I want him to have what he really wants, and he usually gets much of what he wants (within reason), but I do worry about over use of computer games and the like.

Last year for Xmas, when DS was 8, he *desperately* wanted the shiny new (console of the month) Wii U, and a couple of games.  He got it all, but he also got a number of other items I chose that I knew he would like.  One item was a Gyrocar (not sure if you have them in the US). http://thatsmytoy.com.au/gyro-cars/gyro-car-bullet-blue.

That Gyrocar ended up being his most loved, most used, Christmas present.  He still uses it on a daily basis.  So the point is, I don't buy him items based on what I want him to have, but I like to expand his interests and steer them away from electronics a little.

If one of the girls asks for something beyond our reach financially or in terms of practicality, we say, "All the _____s are at the war," a nod to Rufus Moffat's repeated and heartfelt requests for a pony.

It's not necessary to have the latest console or handheld, and neither is it wrong for a family to take delight in it. We're not in the latest and greatest camp, but for the kids, a new Pokémon game is a *big* deal, and the new 2DS makes it more affordable overall.

No computer or screen-type gifts for my family this year.

I'm not against it, and we have plenty of electronics in our house, but I just don't think we need anymore this year.   2 of the 3 kids are mildly disappointed, but they'll live.  I'll also save money, which is a major goal this year.  

So...yeah, you're not alone.