Menu

Homeschooling for Philosophical Reasons

176 members have voted

1. 1. Do you homeschool, at least in part, for philosophical reasons?

• Yes
    • No
    • I used to, but I changed my mind
    • My kids are in public school, but I like to vote in polls :)

Is your homeschooling motivated, at least in part, by a belief that there is something fundamentally wrong or lacking with the public school model (or maybe any institutional school)?

:bigear:

I'm thinking my answer is No.  That's what I voted anyway.

Our local school isn't good, educationally.  And I don't care for the schedule that school requires - gone til 3:30, homework til dinner, no time to be a kid, etc.  That's too much for elementary age kids.  

I'm not fundamentally opposed to schools though - if we lived near a good one, we'd strongly consider sending them.  

Yes, OUR school district is lacking and not enough for what I expect for my kids education. I do not want them held in during their one recess for one on one teacher time, nor held in during lunch to work one on one with the teacher. I do not want them shoved to the side and told they will help them before or after class just because they learn differently.

However, we were at a very lovely school on post in AZ. All the teachers were military spouses for the most part and had experience with grabbing students where they were, no matter their gaps in learning and strengths and weaknesses and bringing them into the fold of the class. My kids thrived there. That school knew what they were doing and they tried to meet each child's individualized needs and didn't try to get them to just "blend" into the classroom with the other kids.

So, I know there are schools that can do it right and can make even the most challenging student thrive. It just isn't here where we live.

eta: I will also say that I have a personal conviction that my kids are mine to raise. It is my duty to educate them. I don't like the idea of school schedules and times made "convenient" so that the kids are there while parents work. I understand and comprehend the need for such times and schedules but I don't agree with it. i know many families these days require two incomes. I get it. However, I want my kids at home as much as possible, with me because that is what feels right and I am at peace with that. If my situation changed and I had to send my kids to school due to the circumstances, I would do so with a clear conscience but if I sent them now when I have the opportunity to home educate, I would feel guilty and feel like I am being lazy. Not saying anyone who sends their kids to school is lazy, just stating that I myself would feel as such.

That's one of my reasons. There are many, and which is the biggest reason depends on the day. But yes, in general, I do have philosophical reasons for homeschooling. Even if I felt that the local school could meet our needs in other ways, I still feel that the home education model is the right one for us.

We started out with dd in a private Christian school, because we had no confidence in public schools. We withdrew dd because she was burned out (Easter break of first grade o_0 ) and began homeschooling. So we didn't start out homeschooling for philosophical reasons, but only to rescue dd. The philosophical reasons happened later. :-)

In one sense, yes. I think institutions are not the best place for kids. I think learning is done better outside of institutions. In particular, I dislike the inevitable groupthink that occurs.

In another sense, no. I think society has to provide institutions for the public to become educated. We need an educated population and society needs to ensure equal access to education. So my dislike does not mean I am against public schools or wish to undermine them.

Yes, I believe there are a LOT of things lacking in public schools (in any school for that matter).  I don't care how "good" the school system is in certain areas, there are things that schools lack in general because they don't have time to give individual attention to each student, because every student has individual needs.

I have issues with the government-run model of education as it exists currently with state and now the Common Core standards and such a heavy emphasis on test prep. But that is not a philosophical problem with public schools per se, just the direction they have taken in recent years.

Yes, I believe there are a LOT of things lacking in public schools (in any school for that matter).  I don't care how "good" the school system is in certain areas, there are things that schools lack in general because they don't have time to give individual attention to each student, because every student has individual needs.

I do agree with you but I also agree with Farrar that the state is going to have to provide some institutional schooling options.  Sometimes you can't always go with the best and can go with "good enough".  

For me, yes. I have issues with some are the larger elements of public schooling regardless of whether our local school is better or worse than others. They are not large enough concerns that I would never enroll my children but are strong enough that I hope homexhooling will continue to be an option for us over time.

I think that some parents can do better than all schools.

I think that many parents can do better than most schools.

I think most schools can do better than plenty of parents (and I'm always a little surprised here when people here get offended by their pediatrician or someone like that asking "obvious" questions... there are LOTS of ignorant people out there, plenty of them perfectly nice and well-meaning, making poor parenting choices).

I think that all schools can do better than some parents.

I think I don't really understand the question... I have philosophical reasons for homeschooling, but they don't include public schools as a monolith being bad.

We are educating for philosophical over education reasons, though I believe I am also offering a better educaiton to my kids. 

My choice has to do with who I want influencing my kids for most of their waking hours, who I want shaping their world view, and who I want them to feel closest to in life.  The answer is family for all of those questions. 

I think free universal education is a worthy ideal, and that the public school system is necessary. I do not think it is the ideal form of education for most people, and that there will be inherent problems in any system that tries to meet the needs of large groups of individuals en masse.

My ideal form of education involves personal tutors who are experts in their fields with passion for their subject and a talent for teaching, and a unique individualized educational plan for each child, developed by parents, tutors, and (eventually) the student, all in partnership. Obviously impossible on a large scale, but also not exactly homeschooling either. Both public schooling and homeschooling have inherent weaknesses IMO.

Answering my own poll now :)

We began homeschooling because our local PS kneels  before the god of high-stakes testing and our bright, eager-to-learn five year old left kindergarten declaring that she was bad, stupid and hated learning everything.   :(  This is considered a good (high-scoring) school.

We continue homeschooling because I've come to believe that the traditional school model (particularly public school) is deeply flawed, does not deliver on its promises, and is only truly effective in training children to respond to bells like Pavlov's dogs and to be subservient to authority.  Yes, some 3-Rs are taught, too, but that's not the main thing.  If it were the main thing, they'd do it better.

In our family we value creativity, individuality,liberty, and fearless questioning.  I want my kids to think dangerous thoughts, speak their minds, and lead bold, creative lives.  This isn't the kind of child the public school usually produces (and "produces" is the perfect word here, as children do tend to be viewed as products rather than individuals.)

The reason I started this poll was that I was surprised at how few of my IRL homeschool friends feel as strongly as I do.  My beliefs feel perfectly normal to me :) but I was reminded yesterday that even in HS circles they're rather unorthodox.  I'm okay with that.  I'm comfortable with being different.  But, I do wonder if there are others like me out there.

Answering my own poll now :)

We began homeschooling because our local PS kneels  before the god of high-stakes testing and our bright, eager-to-learn five year old left kindergarten declaring that she was bad, stupid and hated learning everything.   :(  This is considered a good (high-scoring) school.

We continue homeschooling because I've come to believe that the traditional school model (particularly public school) is deeply flawed, does not deliver on its promises, and is only truly effective in training children to respond to bells like Pavlov's dogs and to be subservient to authority.  Yes, some 3-Rs are taught, too, but that's not the main thing.  If it were the main thing, they'd do it better.

In our family we value creativity, individuality,liberty, and fearless questioning.  I want my kids to think dangerous thoughts, speak their minds, and lead bold, creative lives.  This isn't the kind of child the public school usually produces (and "produces" is the perfect word here, as children do tend to be viewed as products rather than individuals.)

The reason I started this poll was that I was surprised at how few of my IRL homeschool friends feel as strongly as I do.  My beliefs feel perfectly normal to me :) but I was reminded yesterday that even in HS circles they're rather unorthodox.  I'm okay with that.  I'm comfortable with being different.  But, I do wonder if there are others like me out there.

This sounds similar to my parents' reasons for homeschooling.  They started out by pulling their third child out when the local middle school, which had been okay for myself and one brother, went downhill academically.  They originally intended to put him back in for high school, since after all, my other brother and I did very well at the high school.  Then they ended up pulling our little sister out in elementary school, and what started out as an academic decision acquired a philosophical component.  I don't think you're alone in that thought evolution.  I think academics are often the most obvious reason to question the public school model -- kid is making low grades, kid is obviously unhappy or bored, kid has obvious special needs that the school can't meet (and sometimes all of those at once!), etc.  So parents look for something different to address the academics and then find other reasons why they're glad to continue hs'ing.  Among my local friends, philosophical (and often closely-related religious) reasons are probably pretty high on the list, especially among those who hs from the very beginning.

I disagree with the emphasis on testing, age separation and homework for kids who have been gone 6 hours already. Right now, I want my children to have time to play and explore their interests. I want them to grow up into free people, who will make their own path and question conventional wisdom. Institutions are about conformity. Now that isn't bad, per se. We should conform to the local traffic laws. We should conform to standards of common courtesy. But the sit down, shut up, take in this information and regurgitate it for the test, no thanks. 

I think I disagree with most people about the point of education though. It's not utilitarian (get a job, make money) but formative (who are you, what do you value). Perhaps I would go for an old one-room schoolhouse model, I'm not sure. But I don't want my kids tested, and I don't want them all to be shaped into round pegs that fit the holes.

I voted "yes". I'm not sure this is my best explanation as to why, but I've found the last year and a half have really changed my viewpoints on education, and I'm still learning.

I voted Yes. In truth my answer is yes and no. 

I believe that the "no child left behind" rule or mentality is causing the majority to suffer. Our public school system had a program that starts in 3rd grade for what they consider "gifted" children. If you did not fit into that category you are in a classroom of 25-30 kids and the teacher is forced to spend the majority of the time making sure the children that are having the hardest time are being brought up to a point where they can pass state tests or their funding and jobs are at stake. I believe this ends up leaving the larger percentage of children, who are not especially gifted or excel easily, but yet are also not falling behind, to sort of fend for themselves a large part of the day. My older child suffered with this system and I never should have let her go to public school through 4th grade. We are playing catch up because basically she retained a lot of information for the week to take each "test" but didn't really learn much at all. I feel like she is really just about on a late third/early fourth grade level instead of the 5th grade she should be at. (She also had a very late birthday though and was the youngest in her class, barely making the cut off by a week). My younger child would have been fine and going into second grade they were telling me to prepare to move her to a different building for the accelerated program. I am teaching her mostly on a third grade level and another year of public school would have mostly social for her while she waited on third grade.

However, I do feel like most teachers are doing the best they can. I think their teachers cared about their education and wanted to help every child as much as possible. I don't fault them. I just dont think it is possible to teach 25 children, all needing different levels of help and guidance, to each child's potential. 

Yes. Kind of. I don't know.

Certainly not all schools - there are some amazing private schools that veer far from the public school model (my eldest is in one), but yes, I homeschool in part because we believe there are many things fundamentally wrong with public schools (on a "philosophical" level).

Yup!  We have some good schools here (in fact, they are reintroducing cursive!) and some excellent public charters/IB schools. However, I am philosophically against homework of any kind, tests, and age-segregated classes.  Since B&M schools of every kind are built around those three things, then I am against institutional schools :)  Although I am a reformed Christian, that is as far as my anti-public school beliefs go.

Not all of them. Many private montessori schools aren't age segregated, some private schools do not teach to a test, and many either impose no or little homework.

In one sense, yes. I think institutions are not the best place for kids. I think learning is done better outside of institutions. In particular, I dislike the inevitable groupthink that occurs.

In another sense, no. I think society has to provide institutions for the public to become educated. We need an educated population and society needs to ensure equal access to education. So my dislike does not mean I am against public schools or wish to undermine them.

I agree with this.

Is your homeschooling motivated, at least in part, by a belief that there is something fundamentally wrong or lacking with the public school model (or maybe any institutional school)?

Yes, in large part.

I must admit, I am a bit LOL about all the people who have answered no but then say their kids would be in school if their local schools were better and/or equipped to handle their kids' educational needs, because I believe the low quality of many schools is the biggest fundamental problem with our current public school model. The one-size-fits-all approach seems like an inherent flaw with PS education, but I think that with better schools and more rigorous teacher selection and training, that problem could be minimized.

The bolded reflects a certain worldview that many parents do not share. Plenty of people want their children to be obedient to and respectful of authority, except when civil authorities contradict a higher (e.g. divine) authority. I would say that most Christian homeschoolers fall into this category. So yeah, if you're an anti-authoritarian "freethinker" then you very well might be in the minority of HSers.

The bolded reflects a certain worldview that many parents do not share. Plenty of people want their children to be obedient to and respectful of authority, except when civil authorities contradict a higher (e.g. divine) authority. I would say that most Christian homeschoolers fall into this category. So yeah, if you're an anti-authoritarian "freethinker" then you very well might be in the minority of HSers.

I agree with shiny, except that I would alter her statement to say that I don't want my kids to be afraid (or too simple, accepting, disengaged, etc.) to think "dangerous" thoughts. I am absolutely not anti-authority*; I fully expect my kids to obey laws and be respectful of authority, but never blindly. Being American, I want my kids to understand that authority is ultimately granted by the people, so the people have not just the right but the responsibility to be informed and stay vigilant in assuring that those in positions of authority act in the best interests of the people who granted them that authority in the first place. In short, I don't want my kids to be puppets or drones.

* I assume you meant authority rather than authoritarian, which I am very much anti, along with (I hope!) most other Americans. LOL

* I assume you meant authority rather than authoritarian, which I am very much anti, along with (I hope!) most other Americans. LOL

LOL, yes. I was thinking the kind of '60's era, anti-hierarchical, anti-tradition, "fight the power, man!" type of attitude, NOT talking about a totalitarian government!

This question isn't quite as cut and dried as "yes & no". Yes I have philosophical problems with much of the current educational system. But that is not why I don't currently utilize it. My parents had philosophical issues with the public education system, but we went to public schools and received a good education. My parents did not force us to buy into the philosophy of the system. We were taught to be respectful to people as people, but not that teachers were authority beyond basic classroom order. We learned early on that teachers could be wrong. We were encouraged to stand up for our beliefs even it meant a lower grade. Busy work homework was optional in our home. My parents cared more about learning than grades. My parents did not allow school to get in the way of our education.

I feel we could successfully utilize our local public schools similarly. And we may someday. But they aren't terribly efficient, and our current family schedule and lifestyle just doesn't mesh well with public schooling. Besides I really like homeschooling :)

I believe that every child would be best served by an individualized, one-on-one or small-group, self-paced,  non-age-segregated education. Homeschooling serves this purpose, along with providing social, familial, and spiritual benefits.

This is clearly not an option for everyone. However, I would prefer to see an alternative model (there are many that I find appealing) rather than the traditional model that we have now. 

My personal decision to homeschool is based on my philosophical approach to the education of my children, not necessarily in response to our traditional schooling options. However, I am not a fan of the public schools, either.

Eta: FTR, I am not well versed in school issues, especially public school. My children have never attended. We have considered our options at times, and have always found homeschooling to be the hands-down best option for us.

I generally avoid discussion of schools. Beyond supporting parent choice, I have little experience and less opinion. 

I'm always left scratching my head a little when homeschooling parents want to talk about schools. Kind of like nonparents debating parenting, vegetarians talking about meat, or atheists discussing churches.

Over the whole country, yes, probably.  But in my area, I think most homeschoolers would agree with Shiny.  They want their kids to be independent questioners.  Ah, life in the blue states.

This sort of gets to really different philosophical issues with institutional school.  I mean, some people feel the schools are too secular, too focused on the wrong things educationally and morally.  Other people think the schools are too focused on conformity and obedience and groupthink.  One thing I like about this board is that both secular, liberal types and more conservative Christian types here often agree that schools are places of shallow thought and we want deeper thought for our kids - though what that looks like may differ.

I have a pretty bad opinion of public schools...  particularly after having taught in them, I wanted to run screaming for the hills (and sort of did for a little while).  But the further I get away, the more that I just want to live and let live.  And I feel sort of suspicious on forums now when people want to decry public schooling.  They'll never be for us.  But I'm glad they exist for others and I hope they improve, as some have done.  Certainly, in my city, education has gotten dramatically better since my boys would have started preK (preK is almost universal here - most kids go to public preK if they're going to go to ps).  When it was time for them to go to school, it would have meant some really tricky lotteries or some bad choices.  Now, more than half the city is charter, many are great options, and it wouldn't be so unthinkable.  Except...  it's still unthinkable for me.

Yes, I believe there is something fundamentally wrong with our PS system.  Everything about PS irks me. To many children in a small indoor space expected to sit for long periods of time.  No mixing of social peer groups to include other aged children, no real oversight of those peer groups (bullying) at the same time the "no tolerance" policies make me boil, I mean a little kid makes his poptart look like a gun and get suspended?  No specialized curriculum/levels for children who learn differently, so the expectation is that every child will fit in the "box" no matter what.  Those that don't WILL BE LEFT BEHIND, because they might screw up the test scores.... ummmm, so my answer is yes:)  

Kind of, but it is not the primary reason AND it is only the reason for one child.

My oldest is 15 and has some LDs.  He was not getting what he needed in the schools and does much better in small groups and one on one.

My other two kids would most likely be fine in a B&M school.  They might actually really like it.

I am not against all schools, if I were, I wouldn't have worked in them for almost 17 years.

Dawn

Maybe I didn't understand the question, because my first thought was something completely different. 

Yes, PS are lacking something major for our family...a strong Biblical worldview.  Obviously, they don't have that.  For our family, this is foundational and the number one reason we homeschool. We teach from this point of view. PS lacks this and therefore we have a HUGE philosophical difference.

However, I also agree with many other points brought up here about PS's and institutional learning in general.  While our faith is the biggest philosophical difference, it is just the first and most important in a long list of philosophical differences I have with PS. 

:bigear:

Yes.

For all known Western history, from the days of ancient Greece, it was universal belief that, when there was a choice between tutoring and class teaching, tutoring was self-evidently the better method of education. Only at the beginning of the 20th century was there a mass shift to the opposite belief, that groups of students taught by one teacher was superior to tutoring.

Dh and I believed from the outset that two-and-a-half millennia of "this is obvious" beats one century of "wait, we just came up with a better idea."

I voted yes.  We don't homeschool for religious reasons and we live in one of the "best school districts" in our state.  I don't like institutional schooling - the one size fits all, the "if it makes life easier for the assembly line" vs what is best for the child model.  I don't like the social structure of school  - survival of the fittest or cruelest.  I am sure that there are excellent schools out there and excellent teachers out there.  I just prefer the one on one and small group structure of learning. 

I'm drawing a blank here. I mean no snark in this, but can you help me understand in what way is that not fair to apply to men?

Because the quote was referring to how women were left out of history unless they caused trouble, which has never been the case for men.

Because the quote was referring to how women were left out of history unless they caused trouble, which has never been the case for men.

Yeah, Sadie's comment made me think about that phrase. "Well behaved" is another way to describe "obedient to authority." I think that applies to kids, which is why that phrase popped into my head. But, I meant that as a joke, not make a serious comment about people and their roles in history, and certainly not to dis anyone.

I think I disagree with most people about the point of education though. It's not utilitarian (get a job, make money) but formative (who are you, what do you value). Perhaps I would go for an old one-room schoolhouse model, I'm not sure. But I don't want my kids tested, and I don't want them all to be shaped into round pegs that fit the holes.

Yea, I'm an "odd duck" that way too. I'm a newbie and TWTM is my current "happy place" so I don't want to accidentally offend anyone with different life experiences and values, but this does affect my curriculum choices and is relevant to the purposes of the board.

My grandfather, who was a doctor during the 1930s, said that he could always tell a well educated man because no matter how little money he had, he was never bored.

At this point, I'm not going to run for president or try to change the world anyway even if I did think I knew how to save the public school system.

OP, it took a lot of courage to post this poll. Thank you.