Menu

Hot dogs and gravy? Food purists need not apply.

beaners

I'm a bit of a food purist, but isnt country gravy basically the same as sausage gravy without the sausage?  so let the hot dogs sub in for the sausage?  I think brown gravy has too specific a flavor to blend well w hot dogs.  i mean, its basically beef gravy, right?  

Brown gravy.

You can also make Hot Dog Gravy from the water you boil the hot dogs in...  just us the minimum amount of water necessary to boil the hot dogs- makes for a more concentrated "broth".

To make the gravy:

melt butter in a pan- about 2TBS, whisk in 2TBS flour, then add broth, cook to thicken.

OR: mix 2TBS cornstarch and 3TBS cold water, quickly add to broth and cook to thicken.

No more questions. :leaving:

I've done hot dogs in mac and cheese, hot dogs in scrambled eggs, and of course beanie weenies.  But in this case I think I'd stick with noodles and gravy and the hot dogs cooked separately.  If you really want to mix them in, I'd go with the country gravy on the theory that it is sort of like sausage gravy.

Ha, that is hilarious, and brought back memories!

When I was very young my mom made a very similar meal... But she baked the hotdogs in those pre made rolls in a tube, like a wiener wrap. Noodles and brown gravy on the side. Of course, four kids on a single income probably encouraged this:)

Oh...did I mention I went vegetarian at age five?!

I put the hot dogs on the side, but the kids dipped them in the gravy anyway. :) It was edible! Not incredible, but it used up some old food in the cupboard.

Now, can anyone give me suggestions for 22 boxes of jello? I don't think hot dogs would go as well with that, but I'm open to any and all ideas.

I put the hot dogs on the side, but the kids dipped them in the gravy anyway. :) It was edible! Not incredible, but it used up some old food in the cupboard.

Now, can anyone give me suggestions for 22 boxes of jello? I don't think hot dogs would go as well with that, but I'm open to any and all ideas.

Jello as a dessert after a meal of hot dogs (or beanie weenies) wouldn't be bad.  Do not do the 50's thing and put the hot dogs in the jello!  

My mom used to make jello pops (frozen jello in dixie cups) when I was a kid.

http://frugalliving.about.com/od/frugalfoodsrecipes/r/Jello_Popsicles.htm

Jello as a dessert after a meal of hot dogs (or beanie weenies) wouldn't be bad.  Do not do the 50's thing and put the hot dogs in the jello!  

I couldn't believe this was a thing.  So I made a terrible mistake...I googled "jello and hot dogs".  I may be scarred for life.

Even dh, who LOVES hot dogs, is completely aghast.  It will be a while before we eat hot dogs again.

:drool5:   (that's not drool)

I couldn't believe this was a thing.  So I made a terrible mistake...I googled "jello and hot dogs".  I may be scarred for life.

Even dh, who LOVES hot dogs, is completely aghast.  It will be a while before we eat hot dogs again.

:drool5:   (that's not drool)

LOL!  I'm old.  I have mother who actually made 50's food!  (Even though I was born in the early 60's).  Run away, run far, far away!  

My kids would drink ranch dressing if I let them.

I would drink ranch dressing if you let me.

My kids would eat gravy over noodles.  I would personally serve the hot dogs on the side (if they are all beef and the noodles and gravy are gluten free, that is....)

I will eat almost anything, but I don't think I could choke down noodles with gravy and cut up hot dogs.

We had beef stroganoff for dinner, which is basically noodles with gravy (not country but still gravy-ish) with ground beef.

*snort*  Any and all ideas?  Are you sure?

You could start...here.

Okay. What ARE brown gravy and country gravy? I don't know if those are American terms but as far as I've always known gravy was defined by the beast as in beef gravy, chicken gravy, etc.

I don't know if this is "technically" correct, but being from the South we do love our gravy. Here's quick gravy run down:

Brown gravy: usually made to go over beef and made from beef

Mushroom gravy: very similar to brown gravy but with bits of mushroom in it

Country gravy: I've always heard this called white gravy. It's made from sausage or bacon grease and is generally a very light color with flecks of black pepper in it.

Red-Eye gravy: This is made from ham drippings.

Chocolate gravy: This one is obvious. It's a thick chocolate sauce gravy usually served over biscuits.

Giblet Gravy: Can be made from turkey or chicken. Usually a yellowish color.

I'm sure there are more gravies than this, but these are the ones with which I'm familiar. However, I hate gravy and never eat it.