Menu

Do you wash swimsuits after every wearing?

ILiveInFlipFlops

No - that is really hard on swimsuits. Especially for girls/women's suits! I usually just rinse and hang them. I wash them now and again on gentle and hang to dry. They boys trunks, I don't care how much they run through the wash. But if we're swimming a bunch I use the rinse/hang treatment on those too.

OK, that's kind of along the lines of what I was thinking. I do wash them in a lingerie bag, so they're not getting yanked around, but still--at this point, I'm finding stuff to wash, and that's a waste of resources anyway.

Thanks!

I thought laundry soap was bad for them?

I rinse for pools but sometime wash after ponds, lakes, rivers. Can you tell I'm not near an ocean?

If we have been at the beach, then I hang them up to dry. If the kids have been swimming in the pool, then we rinse them thoroughly and hang them to dry. Chlorine is hard on the fabric if you don't rinse. I wash them with soap and stuff about once a week.

Eta: We swim almost daily. It is probably less of an issue if you swim less often.

I never wash swimsuits. I make the kids rinse off after swimming anyhow, so I just make them keep their suits on, which rinses the chlorine water out of them and then hang them up to dry. Even with that, it's hard to make a suit last a whole summer.

Hm, that's a good idea. I wonder if that will work at camp? I'm not sure they're given the time to do that after getting out of the pool. I'll ask them. It would sure save me time! I agree about the suits lasting. I'm not happy at all with Lands' End's swimsuit quality anymore. This summer we have LL Bean swimsuits, and I'll be very interested to see how they hold up through the rest of the season. So far, they still look new and are still thick and sturdy. 

I wash ours after each wearing, but we only swim about twice a week. I put them in a small, fast load and hang to dry. I think this is easier than washing them by hand. Since we walk to the pool, we just shower at home. The suits are usually washed by the time everyone is showered and redressed.

DD6 is in and out of her suits several times per day just playing in regular water outside.  I wash all 3 at the end of the week with her regular clothes. (She has 3 because it is hard to put on a wet suit and she is easily frustrated).  I do check them for streaks just in case during the week though.  LOL 

DD14 washes hers each time she wears it, but it goes for several days in between so it is better for it to get a soap wash (even if it is a swirl in soapy water in the sink).

Any suit that has been in chlorinated water gets a thorough rinse and usually gets a shampoo bath in the sink so it doesn't desinigrate. 

Mine, no. I dry mine and wash after wearing 3-4 times. Mine are good quality and thick material, it seems to take forever to dry, so I want them ready for the next day.

Kids, yes. I hang dry when we get home and every few days I wash several days worth of suits all together on gentle with tiny bit of detergent. We swim about 3-4 times/week in the summer.  

I wash them once a week whether they have been worn once or 3 times a day for 5 days (like they did at camp last week).  In between washings I rinse and hang to dry.  The towels unless we are camping get washed after each use though.  I find they get that mildewy smell otherwise even though swimsuits don't.

Or do you pretty much consider them washed by chlorinated pool water? I'm getting tired of running a load of laundry every day after camp for this. Believe it or not, I'm OUT OF OTHER LAUNDRY! 

If we are swimming in chlorinated water, I am careful to wash them promptly.  The pool chemicals can ruin suits pretty quickly if they are not rinsed out.  To minimize the work, I put them in the washer, on a rinse-only cycle, usually on a small load setting. I hang them to dry.  Pool towels go in with the suits if they just need a rinse; I put them in the dryer.  I generally don't use detergent, though I do now and again, especially if we have dace laundry, workout clothes, or some other kind of delicate stuff that can be put together with the suits.

Laundry *is* a huge pain if the swimsuits are used daily, but that goes along with having active kids.  If it wasn't swim suits, it would be some other kind of athletic gear, much of which seems to need special laundry treatment of one kind or another.  

I wash them each time in a net bag with the towels and other laundry if possible on a short cycle, and air dry.

During our swim team days, that was the only way to make the suits last the whole season.  I didn't believe that the first year, and I regretted it.

My kids are on a summer league swim team and those team/practice suits are EXPENSIVE!  I usually end up rinsing them off and hanging to dry, or my DD will wear it in the shower to "wash" it and they may go in the wash once every couple of weeks.  They usually outgrow the suits before they get worn out, though.  

My suits never see the inside of a washing machine.  I'll either wear them in the shower to rinse/wash or rinse them in the sink when I'm done.  I still have suits that are 10+ years old that are in good shape.