Menu

What type of mop do you use and do you like it?

Ginevra

What mop do you like?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What mop do you have?

• Sponge-headed floor mop.
    • String-headed floor mop.
    • Cloth strip "rag" mop.
    • Mop with disposable pad (like Swiffer Wet Jet).
    • Mop with washable pad (like Sh-Mop).
    • Steam mop (like Shark electric).
    • We consider it clean when the dog licks food up.
    • Some other thing
  2. 2. Do you like your mop?

• Tried several, but don't like any.
    • Tried several and finally like mine.
    • I've only ever used one, but I don't like it.
    • I've only ever used one and I like it.
    • I never mop and I'm happy that way.
    • Something else.

I liked the Libman Wonder mop because it is easy to wring out and has washable/replaceable heads. The downside is it's not good for scrubbing. That one disappeared when we moved though and DH got me something kind of similar, but is a string mop and doesn't wring out well. I really hope it will break soon. My mom just got a Shark steam mop and I'm totally coveting one of those.

I'll have to ask my maids . . . :P

Actually, before I hired maids (because I'm too busy to do all the housework), I used to scrub the floor by hand, because I didn't like the fact that mops leave behind dirt / discoloration in the crevices.  (No wonder I didn't have time!)  Before I gave up on mopping, I used to use a sponge mop.  I would first wash the floor with ammonia and then again with one of those wash-and-wax products.

I have two different mops- a string mop and a Libman cloth strip one.

I use the string mop with a two bucket system for deep cleaning. Does a great job on my 16 yo vinyl kitchen floor. Totally satisfied with the results. Had to shop around to find 12 lb. mop heads, as I am too wimpy to use anything larger. The only downside is that my stupid house has no storage on the main floor, so I have to lug the buckets and mop up a flight of stairs from the garage.

For quick touch-ups I use the Libman and a spray bottle with diluted floor cleaner. Does an ok job, but not as good as the string mop.

After trying several different mops for my mother's laminate floors, I settled on the Libman because I can control the amount of water and it does an okay job. I end up wiping the floor dry with a towel, or it streaks and spots.

Magic eraser roller mop. The mop heads need to be replaced more frequently than with a regular sponge roller mop, but the floor looks a lot better than it did with those or even when we scrubbed by hand.  Here's a link, but the Amazon price is considerably higher than what I paid at my local grocery store.  http://www.amazon.com/Clean-446840-Magic-Eraser-Roller/dp/B002ZYCBAG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1375939411&sr=8-5&keywords=magic+eraser+mop   

Ok, I have generally long been of the opinion that you can clean a floor or use a mop, but not ever at the same time.  That said, I have a messy eating preschooler and no desire to get down on my hands and knees everyday to clean the floor.  I sweep 1-3 times a day, spot clean when something dribbles and use a steam mop 2-3 times a week.  I still find it necessary to get down on all fours a few times a month.  I find that the steam mop helps with any lingering cat odors in the bathroom/around the litter box.  And it makes my floor look sparkly and clean even though I know I need to do it by hand if I want it actually perfectly clean.  

We have a Hoover steam mop.  I don't recall which one.  I bought it on craigslist for $20.  We previously had a Shark which I hated quite a bit and returned to Costco when it seemed to be on the fritz.  

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts! I use a Sh-Mop most of the time. I do have a Hoover floormate that I use when I can't stand the floor any longer.  The Sh-Mop is good most of the time, but it doesn't clean the crevices of the tile floor. (Rustic-style tile with hills and valleys.) I do have a Shark steamer, too, but I'm not crazy about that one. 

For hardwood, where mops and steam cleaners really shouldn't go, I love the Bona system.

For tile I use a combination of steam cleaning, the 2 bucket sponge mop system, and hand washing.  I rotate through depending on how deeply I think the cleaning needs to be.  

I have a Vileda Ultra Max (looks kind of like the sh-mop but it folds in half to go into and ring out in it's bucket).  I LOVE :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub: , seriously, pig puffy heart, LOVE it.  I've had mine for 9 years and the it's been wearing out where the washable part snaps onto the handle and I've been trying to figure out how to attach it in some way because they stopped selling it in the U.S. for many years.  It is now available again!!!  I'm sooooo excited, I just ordered one.

http://www.amazon.com/Vileda-Ultra-Max-Mop-Bucket/dp/B007C4VMWC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375983990&sr=8-1&keywords=vileda+ultramax

I have about 1,000 sq feet of tile on my first floor and this is much, much faster than than a sponge mop.

I tried a steam mop and I hated it, it left my floors streaky and it took much longer than my Vileda.

LOVE my microfiber pad mop. I bought it at QVC several years ago after it being recommended by a friend. It has two scrubby MF pads and a dust mop pad. LOVE it!!

We also have a MF string style mop. I'm not a fan, but dh prefers it. He uses it to mop the laundry room and/or garage. I do like that it's washable and the head is replaceable (and that he scrubs those floors!).

I would love a steam mop, but that's not in the budget.

I have two - a Libman Wonder Mop and a Euroclean with a microfiber washable pad. When I do a good cleaning I use the microfiber. The Libman is for quickie cleaning, which is what I do most of the time. With the exception of a few rooms, we have ceramic tile throughout the house. I also have a teenager, so no kid type sticky messes anymore.

I have a Vileda Ultra Max (looks kind of like the sh-mop but it folds in half to go into and ring out in it's bucket).  I LOVE :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub: , seriously, pig puffy heart, LOVE it.  I've had mine for 9 years and the it's been wearing out where the washable part snaps onto the handle and I've been trying to figure out how to attach it in some way because they stopped selling it in the U.S. for many years.  It is now available again!!!  I'm sooooo excited, I just ordered one.

http://www.amazon.com/Vileda-Ultra-Max-Mop-Bucket/dp/B007C4VMWC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375983990&sr=8-1&keywords=vileda+ultramax

I have about 1,000 sq feet of tile on my first floor and this is much, much faster than than a sponge mop.

I tried a steam mop and I hated it, it left my floors streaky and it took much longer than my Vileda.

I just looked this one up.  This is the only kind of mop I have ever seen for sale on the economy in Germany and all the janitorial people I see use them.  I've always been curious.  Perhaps I'll give this one a go.

ETA:  Since I've clicked on all these links, Amazon is now suggesting all these cleaning products to me.  Hahahaha!  Off to edit my browsing history.

All of my married life, I have used a plain broom and a plain sponge mop. But, earlier this year my sponge mop was breaking and I saw this at Sam's Club and purchased one:

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Microfiber-Mop-Double-Refill/dp/B0051HOCAQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1375992906&sr=8-3&keywords=o+cedar+professional+microfiber+mop

Wow! I couldn't believe how much I love it! I use it as a duster and a mop and it picks up so much dirt! I have washed the change pad so many times and it still looks brand new. I am one seriously happy woman, especially with three little boys! Apparently I talked a lot about this mop too because next time my husband was at Sam's he bought me three more just in case one broke or something! :)

I'm so frustrated with cleaning my floor. For example, last weekend:

I vacuumed with the Dyson.

Then I used my Shark steam mop, in which the microfiber pads were black.

So, then I used my Libman wonder mop. Floor looked and felt clean.

I went over one more time with my Shark steam mop, and the microfiber pads were black again.

This is someone who vacuums their floor daily, and mops at least once a week. We have a dog and a dirt backyard. I am contemplating doing the hands and knees gig, except that almost my entire downstairs is tile. And then as soon as I'm done, someone takes the dog outside to the bathroom and it starts all over again. Sigh.