Menu

Underwear and bathing suits

umsami

So, we were at a water park recently, and I saw a lot of kids (boys) with visible underwear waist bands under their bathing suits.  I had never seen this before.  Is this a regional thing?  A new trend?  A boy thing?

Honestly, I would think wet undies would feel very weird.

It's probably moms letting the boys dress themselves and boys being kind of clueless. I can't say how many times I've had to remind my DS that we don't wear underwear w/ swimming trunks. He's 11 and I haven't reminded him in a few years but I haven't checked either. Hopefully he'll figure it out or already has, but if he doesn't, it's not my problem. :)

I suspect it could be a comfort issue.  I know the mesh in some of the cheaper bathing suits is very uncomfortable.  I went to pick up a bathing suit for my son at target and I was aware that this was an issue, so I felt the mesh inside and it was very course and stiff.  Instead, I bought him a suit from Lands End (which I know isn't as great as it used to be), but still, the mesh was very soft in that suit.  I've watched my nephew walk around at the pool with his legs apart because he's gotten so chafed from his suit.

And, then again, maybe it's a fashion statement.

Swim team kids often wear their close-fitting shorts- ("jammers") or briefs-style team swimsuits under board shorts.  Board shorts are basically swim trunks without the liner.  They remove the shorts right before a race, then put them back on when they get out of the pool.

My boys don't like the built in underwear so they cut them out then wear the dri star compression shorts (like thin baseball sliders) under their swim suit. Also some boys suits don't come with built in underwear. 

This is what my DS does too, all shorts seem to slide down on him as well, so it helps make sure he doesn't show everyone his business, but is more comfortable than the mesh thing.

My DH wears underwear under his swim trunks.  The mesh liners (even the soft ones) don't do enough to 'keep stuff where it should be'-- so it is a comfort thing.

I think it would be similar to my middle dd who is a DD top going swimming with just a tank top or T-shirt on...  modesty aside, the 'girls' would not stay up if you know what I mean!

They kick people out of the pool at most of the pools here if they're wearing anything visible that isn't official swimwear so I don't think it would fly at our pool unless you kept the underwear really hidden.  At one pool we go to sometimes, they don't let you in until you've proven you have swimwear.  I've noticed they're much more strict about this than in other places though.  We went swimming while we were traveling and kids had on T-shirts in the pool and babies were wearing water wings and I was just floored because none of that is allowed here.

I noticed this for the first time at the water park this week as well. I only saw it with teens and typically if one person in a group was doing this, they all were. And they all had exactly the same amount of the band of their boxer briefs showing, too.

Now that full drawstrings aren't included in most swim shorts, underwear can mean the difference between plumber butt and no plumber butt with skinny boys. When one of our boys forgets to change out of the wet underwear, and it's soaking through his formerly dry outfit, THAT is weird. :-)

I've been noticing this trend recently as well. I'd say for teens it's about 50/50. Out of curiousity, I googled it the other day (don't recommend that!), and chafing was mentioned. More often was modesty (as in the boys didn't want anyone to be able to see up the leg of their trunks) or trying to suppress the often embarrassing reaction teen boys tend to get around teen girls.

Much like some women get comfortable having the "girls" in a certain position so they wear a soft bra to sleep in,  guys sometimes get used to having their bits positioned just so.   Apparently, wearing boxer briefs or compression shorts helps in that regard. 

Tween boy funny:   years and years ago, one of my coming-into-tween-years offspring came to me and announced that we needed to look for something to go under his swim trunks.  I was surprised because prior to this, my boys had worn long trunks with nothing under, relying on the mesh liner to do what needed to be done.

We went to WM and found something that looked exactly like it would do the job, but it was made out of silvery-looking spandex, and shaped a bit like boxer-briefs.  The youngest of the siblings took one look at the article of clothing, started giggling, and--to this day--they laugh together about the "methril panties."

A lot of the boys around here do it.  I find it bizarre. I can't believe it is even remotely comfortable.  My ds thinks it is stupid.  I know quite a few of the boys now wear compression suits underneath (which, seem an awful lot like a speedo if you ask me).

One of his friends did it (even under his swim team jammers) and I asked his father about it.  He told me there were a coupe of reasons-fear of bathing suit falling down.  In the case of the speedo-somehow he thought his privates would be less visible.  His father hated that he wore the underwear under his team suit.  Said it looked like he was wearing a diaper.  He finally got him to stop last summer when he told him the high school coach would not let him wear his underwear.

I have a friend who has her son wear underwear under his swimming shorts. I'm not sure why.

That said, last summer ds6 had 'chafing problems', particularly in the ocean, so he now wears an 'underwear-style' swimming costume under his swimming shorts. He makes sure to tell everyone that he wears 'swimming undies' because his shorts hurt his 'boy bits'. Sigh...

So, we were at a water park recently, and I saw a lot of kids (boys) with visible underwear waist bands under their bathing suits.  I had never seen this before.  Is this a regional thing?  A new trend?  A boy thing?

Honestly, I would think wet undies would feel very weird.

I would, too. My youngest ds sometimes forgets himself and wears his underwear with his swim suit. I make sure I buy boys swim suits with the inner lining, which should make it comfortable, I guess. I've never tried them on and my boys and dh haven't said otherwise. lol

My guess would be that those tighter fitting jammers would be the best for swimming, but I won't impose my thoughts on my guys. They don't swim competitively, so speed isn't an issue, just comfort and functionality.