Menu

Please explain skinny pants to me--really!

GinaPagnato

It's sweltering around here right now, but fall will be here before I know it. As I've been looking around for the last year or so, I've noticed this marked shift to skinny pants in women of all shapes, sizes, and ages. I know younger people wear them, but it seems like even grown women are wearing them.

Now, I am a boot-cut kinda girl. I'm barely 5'5", and the boot cut just looks good on me. However, I saw a pretty, well-put together woman wearing boot cut jeans the other day in a sea of skinny pants/leggings, and she just looked...off. Like, out-dated.

So, this raises many concerns for me, not the least of which is, how does one pull-off this look? I've seen skinny jeans and leggings. Is this what you wear? By skinny, I don't necessarily mean artery-constricting, like an anorexic runway model. I mean just narrow legs with a tapered cuff. Where do you buy them, how do you pair them with tops, can you rock them when you're short-ish and somewhat curvy?

I should tell you that I DO care how I'm dressed, that I'm NOT a fashion diva, but I like to be somewhat trendy.

TIA!

I never ever thought I'd wear skinny jeans (pants), but that's what I'm wearing these days. I've always been fat and really liked pants with lots of room in the legs. But, I've lost weight and my legs look really weird in normal jeans. It's like there's just too much fabric. Last year I tried on all different sizes and brands, and my daughter finally suggested I try skinny jeans. I figured no way, but to humor her I tried on a pair. I love how they fit. They're not tight or too fitted, but just fit me much better than other jeans. Now, if I could just find some skinny pants for work for a short person!

Oh, I'm short and still too curvy, but I think that the skinny jeans look much better on me than regular jeans. I've had tons of compliments since making the switch.

I have tried to like the skinny jeans. I'm 5'4" and thin, but they just don't look right. To me they look good on tall, super thin young women only. In fact, they probably look good in anything fashionable! I think boot cut is a good traditional choice, and I stick with that, too.

These specific Old Navy Diva jeans are good for many body types, somewhere or other I read that. They look good on me, and maybe on you, too:

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=480941&locale=en_US&kwid=1&sem=false&sdReferer=

Some types of skinny jeans are HORRIBLE on anyone over 21. You have to find skinnies for grownups.

Footwear is vital with skinny jeans. For me, the footwear can't be too dainty or I look like an ice cream cone. I need some stability on the bottom to offset the skinny jeans. These boots work well for me:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Womens-Beston-Parker-01/19612119

I prefer to wear fitted shirts or jackets, so I'm not an ice cream cone.

Here's a picture of me last year shopping (if this works). I'm 5'3 and weigh 125 and I actually have a flabby tummy. I dress very carefully to hide it. Also, my best feature is my small waist--I dress carefully to enhance it!

http://dustylizard.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/dsc3785-small1.jpg

And look, I found one of me with a jacket and ankle boots, same pair of jeans: (is it sideways to you? Why is it sideways?)

http://dustylizard.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/img_6040-small2.jpg

I like to wear the long tunic tops with my skinny jeans and then my pair of really awesome boots over the top.  

This is a great look.

In the meantime, it is important to pair a skinny jean with a looser top. Something flowy can look great. Be careful it isn't too short, too. That is typically unflattering on most people. A tunic top can look good with skinny jeans. Experiment with different shoes--flats and wedges, especially. 

I often wear skinny jeans in the winter... not the skin-tight ones, but ones that do fit more snugly rather than baggy. I wear them with big sweaters. We get a lot of snow here, and it's SO easy to throw on my tall snow boots over my skinny jeans.

I've gotten them at The Loft, Old Navy, and other places.

I bought some skinny jeans last year for the first time since the 80s. I HAD to . . . for the first time in years they made cute, flat boots that I liked and were comfortable. These boots demanded the tapered jeans which also went well with long, warm cardigans. I'm 5'4" and past 30 (by a decade). I'm on the thin side, but I do I have enough booty that I gravitate towards the curvy cuts in jeans. I really think the look worked for me. I will own up to the fact that all of my height is in my legs so I look a bit taller than I really am.

I'm digging the skinny jeans.  I wasn't sure about them when the trend first showed up, but they're great for riding around on my bike.  No getting my jeans caught while I pedal.  And they fit better on me, too.  In normal jeans the hips are too snug and the thigh part of the pant leg is too baggy.  Not a problem with the skinny jeans.  Also, they're a must for tall leather boots, which I also love.

I love skinny jeans and jeggings. The fabrics now are so nice they are super comfortable. I have pretty much replaced all my old jeans with them. I don't worry about covering my hips so I will wear with T shirts or shirts or something longer depending on what I fancy but they do look really good with tunics. I also love the fact that you can wear longer boots without the bootleg getting in the way.

I love boot cuts. I will not be giving them up even if it makes me look like a fashion dinosaur.

They work for me. I'm not going to mess with that.

Same here.  With my apple shape (thick waist), skinny jeans are not going to look good.  Boot cuts help balance my shape. 

Things to love about skinny jeans...

1. You can be short and they aren't too long; no need to hem, cuff or walk on them.

2. They fit easily into boots.

My dd loves them; I'm still a bit leary.  I'm definitely not changing out all my jeans, but a pair or two can update a wardrobe.

Okay, I think I'm ready to take the plunge now. I've been losing weight and plan to lose about 10 more pounds, so I may wait til it gets cooler outside before investing. I have a small waist, am not overweight, but definitely hourglass-y. So The Loft and Old Navy seem to be good places to buy them. Any other suggestions?

I, too, feared the ice cream cone look. But you guys seem to know how to do this, so I shall take your advice. Thanks!

Footwear is vital with skinny jeans. For me, the footwear can't be too dainty or I look like an ice cream cone.

I prefer to wear fitted shirts or jackets, so I'm not an ice cream cone.

And look, I found one of me with a jacket and ankle boots, same pair of jeans: (is it sideways to you? Why is it sideways?)

http://dustylizard.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/img_6040-small2.jpg

Ice cream cone. That's the phrase I was looking for. I've seen too many ice cream cones here that it has put me off skinny jeans. But it looks like you've got it figured out. Thanks for sharing your pics.

BTW, you look great! And the last picture wasn't sideways for me.

IMHO they don't look good on women with curvy hips even if those women are not overweight. I'm thin but have an hourglass shape and have been looking for a new pair of jeans for ages. All the jeans in my size that the stores seem to carry are skinny. Why can't stores understand that some of us are petite but hate the skinny jeans style because they make us look hippy?

I am highly doubtful I can pull off the skinny jean look. I am not overweight, but I am not skinny. I have an hourglass figure for sure. My waist is 10.5 inches smaller than my hips and I am slightly bigger than average on top. Often, if a pant fits me in the hips it is too big in the waist, so I am forever in need of a belt. In a skinny jean I just look like I have enormous hips and upper thighs. Trust me, no one wants to see that. 

I think I am going to stick with my bootcut jeans. They are considered a classic and always look good on me. I might not look trendy without skinny jeans, but I think one of the benefits of being in my 40s is that I don't feel the need to follow the trends to a 'T'. I can pick and choose what I like. I know what basic lines do and do not flatter my figure at this point in the game, and I am grownup enough to stick with that. If I had slimmer hips I would wear the heck out of skinny jeans, trust me.

Now, a shorter skirt with thick tights (maybe leggings) and boots etc look fine on me and I will happily wear that.

I like skinny jeans a lot. In the winter I wear them tucked into boots, and in the summer with flats or sandals. Shirt choice is important too. It can be flowy or structured, but shouldn't be form fitting imo. I stick with the general rule that your shirt or pants can be form fitting, but never both. I'm also picky about the length of skinny jeans. I prefer them to hit right at my ankle not have extra fabric bunched up there.

I am 5'4" and overweight- as in, I could lose half my body weight and than I'd be at a healthy weight. :blushing:

Anyway- when I get some $$$ to do some shopping, I'm going to buy black skinny jeans...  with flowy tunic tops they look much better on me.  A long tunic tpop with wide/bootcut jeans on my short frame just looks awful.  I am long-waisted, and have short stubby legs to make up for it.  Really- I can wear Tall sizes in tops...  but only short or 3/4 sleeves.

Diamond HATES tight clothes (even though she has the figure to wear them)- but likes the look of skinny jeans.  I found apair of stretchy dark red ones at Walmart, 3 sizes too big for her- for $1! They fit like loose leggings and look great with a loose top... 

I live in skinnies. I am a 5'3", small framed woman and they are a wardrobe staple for me. I find that other cuts tend to overwhelm my frame now that I am used to a more fitted style. I live in boots as well so they kind of go hand in hand. I am a long loose tank top, long chunky knit cardigan, skinny jeans a boots kind of girl.........and I can't wait for fall.