Menu

Newbie ?? Can I let my kids go out alone during the day?

I know this sounds like a really silly question, but we will be homeschooling our 11 year old son and 13 year old daughter this fall.  We live in a suburb and are lucky enough to be walking/biking distance to many things in town like the library, grocery store, Caribou coffee, town park, etc...and I do let them go together or with friends to many of these places without an adult during the daytime in the summer or after school.

My question is, can I let my children continue to go out unaccompanied by an adult during the daytime while school is in session without having to worry about someone stopping them to find out why they are not in school?  Would a simple answer of "we are home schooled" be enough to keep someone from calling authorites, or do they need to be with an adult during the day when they are out?  I don't want them to get freaked out if someone says they are going to call the police or something if they see them out during the school day.  I also don't really want anyone coming to our house asking what we are doing if I can help it, although we have nothing to hide and we are doing everything that the state requires us to do to fullfil the home schooling requirements in Illinois.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Paige

That may depend on the area you live in. Where I live, homeschooling is fairly common, and I don't have any problems letting my kids ride their bikes around the neighborhood unsupervised (they're not old enough or close enough to actually go anywhere). When I'm at the store with them, I get questioned occasionally, but a lot of times, people will just blurt out things like,"Oh, you must be be homeschooled! My grandkids are homeschooled..."

If you are uncomfortable, you might want to spend the first month or so accompanying them during school hours so the librarians, store clerks, etc get used to seeing them during the day.

And do they have a cell phone they can take? It may be helpful if they can contact you immediately if a sticky situation arises.

I know this sounds like a really silly question, but we will be homeschooling our 11 year old son and 13 year old daughter this fall.  We live in a suburb and are lucky enough to be walking/biking distance to many things in town like the library, grocery store, Caribou coffee, town park, etc...and I do let them go together or with friends to many of these places without an adult during the daytime in the summer or after school.

My question is, can I let my children continue to go out unaccompanied by an adult during the daytime while school is in session without having to worry about someone stopping them to find out why they are not in school?  Would a simple answer of "we are home schooled" be enough to keep someone from calling authorites, or do they need to be with an adult during the day when they are out?  I don't want them to get freaked out if someone says they are going to call the police or something if they see them out during the school day.  I also don't really want anyone coming to our house asking what we are doing if I can help it, although we have nothing to hide and we are doing everything that the state requires us to do to fullfil the home schooling requirements in Illinois.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Paige

Personally, I would not let my children go out during the day during school hours, unaccompanied by an adult. With me, yes, everywhere, all the time; alone, no.

Personally, I would not let my children go out during the day during school hours, unaccompanied by an adult. With me, yes, everywhere, all the time; alone, no.

Why not?

(My kids aren't old enough or close enough to anything.  But, I'm still curious what your reasoning is. This is sort of what I lean toward, but I'm not sure why I tend to feel that way other than having heard stories of kids being hassled by authorities and I'm too chicken to take that risk. :tongue_smilie: )

ETA - Of course if there is a law that is a good reason. :D

I wouldn't do it unless you know you are in a very homeschool-friendly area. It seems like inviting trouble from busybodies to contact authorities. Some places won't even allow it. You are responsible for supervising your homeschoolers during public school hours.

I live in a VERY small town. It is not homeschool-friendly (although there are quite a few of us). 

I have allowed my older two kids to ride their bikes or walk to the local library at some points during the school day in the past. Neighbors see them riding their bikes (or running) around the block during their 'recess' or lunch times. 

I think, for your purposes, you need to check your state law about what age they can be left alone, during school time or out of it... 

Illinois law defines a neglected minor, in part, as Ă¢â‚¬Å“any minor under the age of 14 years whose parent or other person responsible for the minorĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ s welfare leaves the minor without supervision for an unreasonable period of time without regard for the mental or physical health, safety or welfare of that minor.Ă¢â‚¬ Juvenile Court Act, 705 ILCS 405/2-3(1)(d) 

This thread is sad. What sort of "free" country is the US when we fear for our children being confronted by authorities if they are out and about during the day?!

My kids are young, I'm with them outside our neighborhood. I wouldn't stress over "getting caught" unless it becomes an issue. Of course I wouldn't go looking to make a statement either.

I wouldn't, unless it's a venue where you're known to be homeschooling (like a public library, maybe). I've heard a few horror stories of teens or pre-teens accosted by the police or treated badly and with suspicion by adults. Some chains have corporate policies about reporting suspected truancy-which, basically, is any school-age child without an adult with them (apparently McDonald's does in our area-I don't know if that's chain-wide or just the local franchise holder).

I would first check with the law and then ask the police department. Let them know the situation and the best way for your children to inform a police officer (if confronted by one) they are not being truant and are homeschooled on a break or going to the library for research. Make sure you inform your children to be polite and give no attitude if confronted by the police. My children know they might and why...it does not have to be a stressful event.

Do you belong to a homeschool program? Ask if they can pass out a form letter. Having this letter or an ID will help.

I let mine out and it's never been a problem.  But I know it's not against state law (there's a website somewhere with minimum "alone" ages for each state), and we live in an area where when someone asks dd, "Do you have the day off?" she can just say, "I homeschool," and they're fine with that.  If either of those things were different, then I couldn't let them out.

At that age, yes; they are old enough to be able to tell anybody who accost them that they are homeschooled and out with parental permission. I always made mine carry a phone; they can offer to call the parent.

Schoool ID is a good idea, too.

A group of our kids (teen+preteen) were once approached by a police officer on an outing of our homeschool group; the kids had wandered away from the parents at park day. They explained that they are homeschooled and the officer was fine with that.

It was the late 90s and early 2000s but my 14 year old worked days on the waterfront, and often served lunch to his elementary school teachers. They would interrogate him, but he was using a correspondence school, had skipped 2 grades, and was receiving passing grades. They knew they wouldn't win if they started anything. They sure did NOT like it though, and let him know it. He just laughed.

For this child, because he was SO out there, an accredited correspondence school was a must, I felt. He was breaking child labor laws, working for a boss that wasn't American. We were low income and couldn't afford a lawyer. I needed to know nothing but a warning would be issued.

At 14 this child was very socially precocious, "well over 200 pounds" (according to his hippie type doctor who was behind him working long hours to bring his weight down, and wouldn't tell me how much he weighed), and few people guesses how young he was, or knew how many hours he was working.

Both of my boys were seen going for a long walk every morning long after the other kids had been picked up by the buses. Otherwise the younger boy was with me mostly during school hours.

The older son started junior college at 16, and no one there even knew he was underage, because he was so big and confident, and was obviously paying his own way through school, with years of work experience behind him.

It also probably helped that his dad was the town bully.

Also the younger son was probably profoundly gifted and a bit autistic but the school was hiding from US, because they didn't want to provide proper testing or any services, and the older son got ignored along with him. Some years I couldn't even hand in my paperwork, because they wouldn't meet with me. We got treated different than all the other normal homeschoolers in the town that were always being chased down.

So even in a same town, things can be different for some families, than for others.

I live in central IL and would have no problem letting my kids do what you describe if they were as old as your kids. However, homeschooling is common in our area. I think it very much depends on where you live. I would stress to my kids that they need to exhibit exemplary behavior when they are out during school hours. They should be involved in purposeful activity, not just loitering at McDonald's or something. I don't forsee our local authorities intervening unless kids are being a nuisance, though they may ask why they aren't at school.

Since the homeschooling regulations are so vague in IL, I doubt they would investigate you unless your kids are causing trouble or something. But it does probably depend on what suburb you live in.

My kids are always out during the day, my teens definitely without me.  But even my 9 year old.  We live in a tiny town, we are the only homeschoolers currently, but most people are used to seeing mine out, either heading to main street to pick up the mail, or go to the library or the grocery store, or just out for a bike ride.  And ds14 goes to work in the next town over mid day too, I drive him to and from, but it has not been questioned at all, why this 14 yr old boy with obvious social issues is working in the middle of the day and not in school.

My only rule about being out during the day is stay off the school grounds.  The town playground is on school property.  If I am with them they can use it during the day, but if I am not they are not allowed to, the principal is quick to call the police claiming trespassing if children/teens are using it without an adult during school hours.

When we lived in the city my kids were too young to be doing too much during the day without me during the school day, but had we continued living there I would have allowed it like I do now. 

Our previous town did a daytime curfew on unaccompanied minors our during the day. It was mainly to combat dropouts and those skipping school. There was also few places for ds to go. I do think they neighbors thought we were strange anyway, having light saber battles in the front yard during the day that sort of thing. 

Where we live now, I probably would let him, but if we're going out it's together anyway. Sometimes he would go to work with dh. I had him carry a school ID (made from big huge labs.com). 

I should probably rethink this as I'll be working this fall too. 

Why not?

(My kids aren't old enough or close enough to anything.  But, I'm still curious what your reasoning is. This is sort of what I lean toward, but I'm not sure why I tend to feel that way other than having heard stories of kids being hassled by authorities and I'm too chicken to take that risk. :tongue_smilie: )

ETA - Of course if there is a law that is a good reason. :D

In general, I am not a paranoid person. As I said, I have no qualms about being out and about with my dc in tow. We went to the library every Wednesday, and on a field trip every Thursday. But alone, without an adult...nosey neighbors, police, store owners, have been known to give grief to unaccompanied children who are out during the day. There is a problem with truancy in the public schools, and a child out during school hours looks truant. I know that technically, children old enough to go to the store alone are capable of explaining that they are homeschooled and not truant, but I think discretion is the better part of valor. Even children playing in their own front yard during school hours can incite nosy neighbors to become whistle blowers (I know people personally who had such problems), so my dc played in the back yard during the day (before, oh, 2ish), not in the front.

I agree with the PP that have suggested you check with your local police department to find out about daytime curfews.

We have one for our town. I don't know if there are exceptions made for homeschoolers, or if it would help if he just carried his school ID with him, but we don't even chance it. Any trip outside the house during the school year involves a parent.

The ordinance states:
It shall be unlawful for any minor to knowingly remain, walk, run, stand, drive or ride about, in or upon any public place in the city:

(1) Between the hours of 12:00 at night (midnight) and 6:00 a.m. on any day of the week; 
Or
(2) Between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. on any day on which classes are in session.

There are several exceptions to this ordinance with regard to emergencies, school and work functions, and other situations.

Our town hasn't any laws against it, but homeschooling isn't well-understood here, so my kids aren't out during school hours without me.  We live in a pretty calm neighborhood, but there have been incidents of mischief and even minor crime (car break-ins), apparently by teens, and I don't want to set my kid up for suspicion.  (It's also kind of a weird neighborhood; after 6 years we are still new here, compared to most.  It's a very settled area, where many folks buy their parents' or grandparents' home and raise their own kids in the home they were raised in, or buy one down the street so they are close by family.) 

Sometimes I feel I should be more bold - if homeschoolers stay hidden, how will it ever become better-understood? - but I also have to watch out for my own kids.  

If I lived in a more homeschool-friendly area, I wouldn't hesitate!  I'd love it!

Thanks for all of your responses!  I will check with the local authorities and see if there are any ordinances on the matter.  It's not like I plan to let them go out all the time by themselves, but I don't want to be surprised if I do let them go to the library and I get a call asking why my kids are out unaccompanied.  My daughter does have a cell phone so she would be able to contact me if something did happen.

We live in the north suburbs of Chicago, and while homeschooling is happening in surrounding communities, I know of NO homeschooled children in our particular town.  All of my neighbors and friends think I'm crazy, and I'm sure we will get lots of unsolicited comments and such when we are seen out and about during the daytime.

We live far enough from everything that my kids can't go anywhere by themselves (well, they can go around on bikes, but without DH, they have to stay fairly close to the house -- we don't live in a true neighborhood, but more rural), but when we go to do errands, I do let them do things by themselves, at least the older one, sometimes the older two.  I send the 11yo to buy crickets for our gecko while I wait in the car, or I send the 11yo or 8yo to pick up library books, etc.  Nobody's ever batted an eye at them, but we also have a fair number of homeschoolers around here.  Our big local grocery store recently opened a beer shop/cafe in the corner, and it's a very nice space; rather than wander around the store with me, the older kids often sit down in the cafe and do their schoolwork.  I check on them every so often, not because I think they'll get into trouble, but in case anyone in charge is wondering about them, but there's never been a problem.  Once or twice, someone from the store has come over just to see what they're doing, but I have always told the kids that if they're behaving and acting like they are doing nothing wrong (because they aren't), they should just say, politely, "We're homeschooled, and we're doing our work while our mother shops."  One guy was amused that they were working on math, LOL -- I suppose if you're truant, you're probably not going to do your homework.  It's not been an issue.

We aren't in an area conducive to that, although I do allow my eldest to ride her bike or walk in the neighborhood during school hours.

Are you granted any sort of ID? Here, we have to register with a "third party accountability association" - they send us cards with our family (last) name and states that we are registered with them (a homeschool association).

Also consider what other schools around and their schedule.

In our area, there are tons of private schools with different days off than the public school. So if kids are out and about during the day it is as likely that they are attending a private school than being homeschooled. Plus consider that sometimes you take your child to the doctor and then afterwards swing by the store to pick something up (prescriptions, snack etc.) and so kids are out at all hours here.

there are tons of homeschoolers in the area but if I see a child out during school hours I don't try and figure out what their schooling situation is because there are so many choices.

My daughter is currently too young to go further than the backyard on her own. We are in a moderately homeschool-friendly area and I frequently see school-age children on their own during the daytime, especially at the library. It is common enough around here and no one seems to so much as blink. There are also a handful of private schools in town that don't quite match up with the public school calendar, so those kids are also out and about during the school day sometimes.

One way people become familiar with homeschooling and the laws allowing homeschooling is by seeing homeschoolers out and about.. I used to sometimes send mine out in a homeschooling t-shirt if they were going beyond the neighborhood.  I do like the idea of the school I.D. I may try that one for dfd getting into movies instead of dragging around our homeschooling affidavit. 

Hunter, can I just say that I always love reading snippets of your life stories? One day, you really must write a book.

Mid way through my first period of homelessness, I was on the phone, and my roommate jumped up and screamed at me, "Stop it! You have now passed the point of being able to sell your story as fiction, never mind truth. Just make it stop!" Then she stomped out of the room and wouldn't come back in until I got off the phone.

And at that point, the most off-the-wall stuff hadn't started happening yet. :lol:

I'm too protective of some of the people involved. I won't expose them. If you notice, it's not really ME that is interesting. I just a female version of Forest Gump that was THERE, and because I have hopped from one subculture to another and another and another, none that I belonged to, I write from the perspective of an outsider, but with the a deep familiarity, which is unusual.

There will be no book! :D People get a story here and there, on a need-to-know basis, if I like them, and I like you ladies. :grouphug:

I will add I have no issue going out and about during the day with ds. I loved grocery shopping at noon when he was little. As an only child, it could look differently, like we were out for an appointment or something. 

Sometimes we'd tell people we were done with school for the day. We also had a habit of going out to lunch about once a month. Just to sit in a restaurant and chat. So being OUT together has never been an issue. It's also fun to see how people react to seeing a kid in a restaurant at lunch, a nice social experiment. 

If you allow them to do it during the Summer there is no reason they shouldn't be able to do it during the school year. I do know some states specify that HSer's must be schooling during normal hours but it doesn't sound like IL is one of those. I would insist on cell phone and do a couple practice runs of how they should respond to adults asking questions. If it is a particular business that has an issue you can address it in person. This is a good learning experience for your children. It will help them learn how to respectfully stand up to authority figures. They can see how to express their rights in a calm and polite fashion. Then again it's unlikely they'll get more then a few curious glances.

I have always allowed my kids to go out without me. We haven't had any trouble, though dd is a homebody and doesn't roam on her own very much. Ds is totally different, so we may be in for more with him.

I do coach my children on what to do if approached. They carry a cell phone ALWAYS. If a stranger in general approaches them, they go to where there are other people (like in a store by the cashier or something). The reason for this is that they should not be talking to random strangers.

If a police officer were to approach them, they are to state that they are homeschooled and have their mother's permission to be out. They are also expected to call me if a police officer approaches them.

We do live in a free country. We have not had to deal with any daytime curfew problems, though if I lived in an area that tried to enforce such a policy I would protest vigorously and publicly. The government does NOT have the right to restrict the movements of people who have not committed a crime.

Thanks for all of your responses!  I will check with the local authorities and see if there are any ordinances on the matter.  It's not like I plan to let them go out all the time by themselves, but I don't want to be surprised if I do let them go to the library and I get a call asking why my kids are out unaccompanied.  My daughter does have a cell phone so she would be able to contact me if something did happen.

We live in the north suburbs of Chicago, and while homeschooling is happening in surrounding communities, I know of NO homeschooled children in our particular town.  All of my neighbors and friends think I'm crazy, and I'm sure we will get lots of unsolicited comments and such when we are seen out and about during the daytime.

I lived in the north suburbs of Chicago for two years (just moved this summer elsewhere). There are homeschoolers there. There is a HUGE network in the Arlington Heights/Mount Prospect area with sprinklings of more homeschoolers throughout Barrington and Vernon Hills and etc.

I doubt you will have problems letting your kids be out. Illinois is very homeschooling friendly, and there are lots of homeschoolers out and about, in addition to a myriad of private school options.

I sent my 6 year old down the street at 1pm to his piano lesson, which is 6 houses down, no street crossing, etc.  

He was 2 houses away when a patrolman (they tour our neighborhood hourly because there is nothing else to do in the town) stopped him, asked him where he lived and returned him to my house.  :-/  He condescendingly questioned me about letting my 6 year old walk down the sidewalk by himself.  I was a little miffed.  I have trained my children well to be responsible and trustworthy. We live in a tiny, safe town in an enclosed neighborhood.  He worried me and the piano teacher more by not arriving on time.  

To resolve the issue, I have my 8 year old escort him the six houses, which means he is missing productive school work on this little errand.  

The lesson I learned was to make friends with the police officers (4 in our town) and let them get to know my kids and their responsibility level, so they know them by name when they see them in my neighborhood (too young to go any further) as they pass through hourly.  If you live in a small town, making friends with the authorities is the best bet.  

Harriet Vane, I grew up in Mount Prospect, my parents still live there, and I've been doing research on co-ops in that area.  I've also found several homeschooling groups in Evanston.  We are in Northbrook, and have only lived here for three years after moving from Connecticut after 20 years there, but I personally don't know of any home schoolers in our town.  Neither do any of our neighbors or friends.  There may be a few in the Jewish communities that I am unaware of, we have a good population of Orthodox and Hassidic Jews in the area, but also lots of Jewish schools.  Once in a blue moon I will see an older (8-12yo) kid out with a parent during the day and I so want to ask if they are homeschooling, but I don't want them to think I am a crazy person  :wacko:

I so want to ask if they are homeschooling, but I don't want them to think I am a crazy person  :wacko:

But you are crazy, because you homeschool.  :thumbup1: 

DH & I sometimes will spot people out & about (on non-school days) & I'll say, "There's a homeschooling family." When I get the guts up to ask, I've been right 75% of the time. I've been "spotted" as a homeschooler on non-school days several times. 

This thread is sad. What sort of "free" country is the US when we fear for our children being confronted by authorities if they are out and about during the day?!

My kids are young, I'm with them outside our neighborhood. I wouldn't stress over "getting caught" unless it becomes an issue. Of course I wouldn't go looking to make a statement either.

I do not see it as sad. Where we live there is a really, really big problem with truancy and with truancy there is often crime as well here. I actually wish they would do more about the truancy problem here as long as homeschoolers are not bothered with supervised outings during school hours.

I do not see it as sad. Where we live there is a really, really big problem with truancy and with truancy there is often crime as well here. I actually wish they would do more about the truancy problem here as long as homeschoolers are not bothered with supervised outings during school hours.

I lived in a high-crime, high-truancy area of the city for many years. I still do not think it's acceptable in any way to approach kids on the street. By your logic, if a child is seen on the street, there is a chance they might be truant, so they should have to show that they are not.

Apply that logic in another way.

If a majority of crimes in an area are committed by African-Americans, then African-Americans seen on the street should have to show that they are not perpetrating a crime.

If a majority of plane hijackings are committed by Islamic extremists, then Muslims who wish to travel should have to prove that they are not planning to hijack a plane.

That's ridiculous, right?

It's unfair to target a population and subject them to unconstitutional rights' violations or freedom restrictions. In this country, the law says that we are all presumed innocent until proven guilty. That presumption means that we are free to move about the country legally unless there is specific evidence of a crime in progress.

With the growing numbers of kids enrolled in private schools, charter schools, or who are homeschooled, there is a wide variance in school scheduling. Some kids' schools may have a day off when others do not. It's not realistic to expect law enforcement officers to keep track of all that scheduling, and it's absolutely unconstitutional to target any law-abiding citizen with restrictions on their liberty or to subject them to police scrutiny in the absence of evidence of a crime.

Edited to add--I do NOT believe, personally, that a majority of crimes are committed by African-Americans. I gave that example because I have heard people discuss the issue of crime and race with that unfounded fear.

This is one of the many reasons I'm glad we live in the city.  Kids are always out and about.  There are many, many charter schools and private schools with slightly different schedules and different start and release times, so it's not totally weird to see kids out and about and most of them aren't homeschoolers.  High school students have lunch releases at various times midday and you see them in the fast food places near our metro stop pretty commonly.  Only special needs students are bused, so elementary students are out and about.  Older siblings walk kindergarteners home.  I never feel like I have to worry about my kids being questioned just for being kids.  Too bad it's not like that everywhere.

I sent my 6 year old down the street at 1pm to his piano lesson, which is 6 houses down, no street crossing, etc.  

He was 2 houses away when a patrolman (they tour our neighborhood hourly because there is nothing else to do in the town) stopped him, asked him where he lived and returned him to my house.  :-/  He condescendingly questioned me about letting my 6 year old walk down the sidewalk by himself.  I was a little miffed.  I have trained my children well to be responsible and trustworthy. We live in a tiny, safe town in an enclosed neighborhood.  He worried me and the piano teacher more by not arriving on time.  

To resolve the issue, I have my 8 year old escort him the six houses, which means he is missing productive school work on this little errand.  

The lesson I learned was to make friends with the police officers (4 in our town) and let them get to know my kids and their responsibility level, so they know them by name when they see them in my neighborhood (too young to go any further) as they pass through hourly.  If you live in a small town, making friends with the authorities is the best bet.  

Okay, I know it's the middle of the day, but 6 houses?  I can't imagine how busy the officers in my hometown would have been if they had tried to return home every child that was outside of his or her own yard.  :lol:  

I would always go out with my kids.  It's just not safe anymore.  We lived on a Bible college campus when our kids were little.  And the children lived in a bubble so that when couples would move away, there children kept the same habits of wondering the neighborhood as they had been used to.  That's not safe.  besides, you probably need to get out for some fresh air as well.

• 2 weeks later...

We live in IL in a fairly large northwestern suburb of Chicago and I would not let my kids go places without me during regular public school hours.

They aren't old enough for that yet but I certainly do not want to put our family in the kind of sticky situation that could follow if they are called in as truant!

They do however play outside in our front yard and back yard on a daily basis while I am inside...I consider that recess of course :)