Menu

Why are we fat? (I mainly mean Americans, but anyone can postulate.)

Ginevra

American Obesity  

341 members have voted

1. 1. Which factors do you believe are responsible for American obesity?

• Most Americans eat too much (quantity).
    • Most Americans eat too much (calories, empty foods, junk).
    • Typical Americans do not exercise at all or enough.
    • Many Americans are fruitlessly following bad dietary advice.
    • GMO foods are not regulated in America and this is a culprit.
    • Americans eat too much fat.
    • Americans eat too many carbohydrates or simple sugars.
    • Many Americans are just genetically large; they are not actually "overweight."
    • Something else.
  2. 2. If you are American, how do you describe yourself?

• Fit; not overweight at all
    • A little chubby, but acceptable to me.
    • Needing to get in shape, for sure.
    • Frustrated: tried repeatedly, but can't make any headway.
    • Overcame fat and am now fit.
    • Something else.
  3. 3. Do you exercise and/or follow a particular eating plan?

• Yes, I exercise.
    • Yes, I follow a particular eating plan (Atkins, LFHC, WW, something else).
    • No, I don't usually exercise on purpose.
    • No, I don't follow any particular eating plan.
    • I generally have good eating habits.
    • I generally eat in a way I believe is not very healthy.
    • Something else.

Why should the idea that some random unknown person had about your eating habits make you sad?!?!

I mean, really! Who gives a flying fish?

I'm obviously not Jean, but can answer this about myself. Different people have different levels of sensitivity to others either. I am inherently a people-pleaser. It is my nature since childhood. Because of it, I do not like to think that people are disproving of my actions or looking down on my personality/choices. I can reason all day long that I shouldn't be that way, but it is something I feel. The way we think and the way we feel are not the same. I can control the way I think much easier than the way I feel. Changing one does not always lead to a change in the other. 

If you are not like that, then it may not make much since to you. However, I think that not wanting to be judged is a pretty universal thing, especially when the judgements are based on erroneous info and assumptions. just my opinion of course.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm obviously not Jean, but can answer this about myself. Different people have different levels of sensitivity to others either. I am inherently a people-pleaser. It is my nature since childhood. Because of it, I do not like to think that people are disproving of my actions or looking down on my personality/choices. I can reason all day long that I shouldn't be that way, but it is something I feel. The way we think and the way we feel are not the same. I can control the way I think much easier than the way I feel. Changing one does not always lead to a change in the other. 

If you are not like that, then it may not make much since to you. However, I think that not wanting to be judged is a pretty universal thing, especially when the judgements are based on erroneous info and assumptions. just my opinion of course.

Thanks, Tammy!

Jean already told me I misread her post.

I appreciate your explanation. I'm am a people pleaser, too. But I try to please the people I love and care about, not random people who make erroneous assumptions and judgements about me.

My point was to blame working parents feeding kids crap is BS.

According to the USDA, in 1960, only 26% of food was consumed away from home (and even a good portion of that food was prepared at home & brought to school/work). Today it is 49%. You are being totally disingenuous if you claim that is not the direct result of more women employed full-time. Greater disposable income and less time = more eating highly processed restaurant-prepared foods. Of course employed moms do not HAVE to feed their families that stuff but many (if not most these days) do.

Why should the idea that some random unknown person had about your eating habits make you sad?!?!

I mean, really! Who gives a flying fish?

I can answer for me. There is a pervasive assumption that fat people eat too much and move too little. That translates into "pig and lazy."

My life eating habits are the opposite of that. I had a miserable (shaking, screaming, foggy, irritable and GAINED weight) experience on WW. I followed a "healthy" low carb program and felt great, but didn't lose an ounce. (In my 30's, I did lose 50 or so on a low carb plan).

As far as movement, I've held several jobs during my most obese years and none of them have been "desk jobs". They have involved being up, moving around.

I react to the assumptions about fat people because they are associated with character and behavioral facts that are not true.

True, but on a percentage basis, the number who would not be diabetic if they beleived a pill would not take care of it is significiant. If they had to do injections, they would prevent getting to that weight by adjusting their intake, as their parents did. Instead, because of the belief that the Dr. can cure anything, they indulge themselves and eat what they know is inappropriate...a box of ice cream at one sitting, pounds of potato salad, yada yada. The total calories taken in daily adds up to more than anyone can possibly expend daily with physical exercise.

Perhaps some people but that first highlighted comment seems like the same old attack of "your fat cause your too lazy or too stupid to do what you know is right." While compounding the issue with the same mis-information (2nd bolded) that many still cling to as the universal fix for all!

As someone with PCOS who is IR, I can tell you that, in my experience, calories has nothing to do with it. I spent my teenage yrs eating low calorie, diet everything and fussing at my tiny mother for making too much evil bacon (oh the fatty horror :svengo: ).

When I received my pcos diagnosis, my obgyn told me to do atkins. I was horrified that I could eat a pound of bacon but not an apple. But, I did it anyway. I consumed way more calories than I was comfortable with , but I experienced weight-loss for the first time in my life! I ate low carb through pregnancy, breastfeeding, and beyond. I broke from it because so many told me how bad it was to stay low carb yada yada yada and went to a weight watchers system (points) that was basically calorie counting.  I gained weight and my health went wonky. I now know what works. I have experimented enough to know what does and does not work with my body. The bottom line for me is this: it is about the carbs, not the calories. It is not about expecting a magic pill to fix me or about doing enough sit-ups, running a mile, or eating less overall.

I am currently paying more attention to the glycemic index, and keeping sugar out, while trying to allow for more carbs from occasional whole sources like fruit and some of the more starchy vegetables. The loss is much slower this way, but I feel more balanced.

Oh, and as to the whole 'people don't want to be judged' idea:

maybe it's that people don't want to be judged negatively. Cuz if I thought, "Wow, she's an awesome person! She's cute and well dressed and smart and kind!" I just judged you.

Yeah, but how many people do you know who feel uncomfortable even when the judgement is given in the form of a compliment? There's a surprising number out there.

Yeah, but how many people do you know who feel uncomfortable even when the judgement is given in the form of a compliment? There's a surprising number out there.

Ah, but I hypothetically didn't say it outloud!

I was just hypothetically thinking it in a creepy judgemental manner.

I think one of the reasons that people consume so much food is because their bodies don't recognize it as such; the body doesn't know what to do with all the food colorings, fake fats and sugars etc that the brain keeps triggering the body to eat more, hoping it'll eventually get something nutritionally substantial in there.  People never feel satisfied and the hunger cycle never stops.  Another side effect from all the empty food is illness/general lack of feeling well.

That said, as several others have mentioned, there are many factors- not just the above. Fad diets, both under and over eating, fat-fear, franken food, lack of exercise, the addictive ingredients in junk food... these are all significant.

If you are overweight, you can have people come up and give you the infamous unsolicited advice.  I've received "dieter's tea" from my SIL which included Ephedra, something I was not about to ingest.  I've received numerous diet tips from others.  I've been told that I should start exercising.  All of those people looked at my outside me and made assumptions.  Not one of them asked me a single question.  I don't care about internal judgments someone might make but not everyone knows how to shut their mouth.  They take generalizations and try to apply them to people other than themselves without any thought or regard for others.

Some of these same people were shocked to find out that I eat less than they do and have a much higher quality diet of mostly whole foods.   We don't eat HFCS - we cut that out of our diet 20 years ago when I was first diagnosed with auto-immune problems.  I don't eat dairy and am gluten free.  I am mostly grain free but do eat the occasional gluten free grain.  I exercise 6 days a week and am dripping sweat at the end of it.  I log in my food and exercise every day on Sparkpeople and get very good support there.  I've been on Sparkpeople for five years now and have lost only 7 pounds the entire time.   I don't fit the mold.  I also know that five years ago, when I joined Sparkpeople, I was a semi-invalid and spent 80% of my time in my chair because of intense pain issues.  I've been working to build up my stamina and muscles very slowly over the years to my current level.  I am still in pain almost every day.  Most of these people, including family members, have no idea how I feel every day because I don't tell them and I'm not visibly writhing in pain.  (I am more open here on the forum because I'm actively asking questions about these issues.)

Yes, I'm reading the books and articles linked to threads like these because I can always learn more.  I just started a thread yesterday asking for advice on some convenience foods I use to try and close up some loopholes in my diet while still allowing me to function despite my fatigue.  In my case I know that I have very high levels of inflammation and have recently cut out nightshades.  I'm hoping that having less inflammation will help me to lose weight.  

I know exactly how ravenous eating works, thanks to prescription steriods. However, as the nurse pointed out in advance, one doesn't have to eat the high cal items...one can stick with the veggies.

Personally I found it was easier to get on my bike and cycle for two hours and that took my attention off the ravenous, clean out the cabinet, steroid induced hunger. I did also clean out the cabinet so I wouldn't be eating mounds of high cal stuff that was easy to shove in. I found that there comes a point when the stomach says enough, even though the steroid says pack it in.

But it is ravenous accompanied by feeling faint, rapid pulse, wooziness, etc. There's no way to hop on a bike, trust me. It isn't just feeling hungry, it is a total blood sugar crash. Veggies won't fix it (and at the time I was experiencing my bouts of hypoglycemia looking back, I was a vegetarian. I was a vegetarian for about 8 years through high school and college). Some carrots and celery sticks, even in large amounts, weren't going to remedy it. A blood sugar crash like that can leave you feeling like you might die. I kid you not. Heart racing, sweaty, awful, awful, awful. It isn't just hunger.

Like a PP who talked about her experience with Atkins, many people with IR do great on higher calorie than they've ever eaten in their lives. For once they don't have to be super restrictive about quantity of food. Once they control the insulin spikes, their whole appetite becomes more in control. They are more easily satiated, they don't feel awful in between meals, their energy level is more stable.

If you are overweight, you can have people come up and give you the infamous unsolicited advice.  I've received "dieter's tea" from my SIL which included Ephedra, something I was not about to ingest.  I've received numerous diet tips from others.  I've been told that I should start exercising.  All of those people looked at my outside me and made assumptions.  Not one of them asked me a single question.  I don't care about internal judgments someone might make but not everyone knows how to shut their mouth.  They take generalizations and try to apply them to people other than themselves without any thought or regard for others.

These same people were shocked to find out that I eat less than they do and have a much higher quality diet of mostly whole foods.   We don't eat HFCS - we cut that out of our diet 20 years ago when I was first diagnosed with auto-immune problems.  I don't eat dairy and am gluten free.  I am mostly grain free but do eat the occasional gluten free grain.  I exercise 6 days a week and am dripping sweat at the end of it.  I log in my food and exercise every day on Sparkpeople and get very good support there.  I've been on Sparkpeople for five years now and have lost only 7 pounds the entire time.   I don't fit the mold.  I also know that five years ago, when I joined Sparkpeople, I was a semi-invalid and spent 80% of my time in my chair because of intense pain issues.  I've been working to build up my stamina and muscles very slowly over the years to my current level.  I am still in pain almost every day.  Most of these people, including family members, have no idea how I feel every day because I don't tell them and I'm not visibly writhing in pain.  (I am more open here on the forum because I'm actively asking questions about these issues.)

Yes, I'm reading the books and articles linked to threads like these because I can always learn more.  I just started a thread yesterday asking for advice on some convenience foods I use to try and close up some loopholes in my diet while still allowing me to function despite my fatigue.  In my case I know that I have very high levels of inflammation and have recently cut out nightshades.  I'm hoping that having less inflammation will help me to lose weight.

:grouphug: I think people in general need to learn, "If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all." Unsolicited advice is often very harsh. People have no clue most of the time what health issues others are going through.

Oh, and as to the whole 'people don't want to be judged' idea:

maybe it's that people don't want to be judged negatively. Cuz if I thought, "Wow, she's an awesome person! She's cute and well dressed and smart and kind!" I just judged you.

Yes, you are correct.

I should have said that people don't want to be unfairly judged or judged harshly or judged negatively as you pointed out. We all make judgements, we all make observations, but it is when we reduce other people's struggles or problems to a simplistic equation; or hold the view that we could easily fix it if we were them that we have crossed the line into the realm of 'judgement' that no body wants to be on the back end of.

For instance: I loved it when my teen, childless, brother would try to tell me what I was doing wrong with my child and  how, in his infinite wisdom, his methodology was superior :huh: . The answers were just so simple to him. How could I possibly not see it? :001_rolleyes: May I just say that I can't wait for him to have children. :D 

:grouphug: I think people in general need to learn, "If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all." Unsolicited advice is often very harsh. People have no clue most of the time what health issues others are going through.

I agree.

But I also TRY to ascribe to the idea that no one can make you feel inferior without your consent philosophy. That's why if someone were to think I'm overweight because I overeat and under move and that's not true, I wouldn't get a case of the sads over it.

According to the USDA, in 1960, only 26% of food was consumed away from home (and even a good portion of that food was prepared at home & brought to school/work). Today it is 49%. You are being totally disingenuous if you claim that is not the direct result of more women employed full-time. Greater disposable income and less time = more eating highly processed restaurant-prepared foods. Of course employed moms do not HAVE to feed their families that stuff but many (if not most these days) do.

and stay at home parents never go through the McDonald's drive through or buy frozen pizza. 

Do you have a statistic that directly compares eating out behavior of single income families to double income families. I bet the main difference is cheaper restaurants and more frozen prepared foods (eating stouffer's lasagna at home is cheaper, but not necessarily healthier than upscale takeout). I've known a few homeschooling moms who really didn't cook. 

You have a history of being extremely judgemental of double income families. Since you brought up the issue of double income families this thread was your chance to continue your mantra on the evils of working moms. 

I do think low carb can be magical for some people.  Although I think it's not easy to live like that.  I've been on and off low carb for years.  My biggest problem is just the practicality of it because it's a high carb world. 

But what is interesting is that there are many people who eat a rather high carb diet and are not overweight.  So back to what I said, I think the issue is very complex. 

Yes, agreed. My mom is an anomaly in that she eats high fat and high carb and is normal weight. I believe that the chemical/hormonal situation in one's body is what makes the difference. This is why I try to say 'what works for my body.'  I don't think there is one right answer. There are obviously people who maintain healthy weight while eating higher carbs or by watching calories only. I think where you are metabolic-ly  (is that a word?) is what matters in what you need to do and eat to be healthy. Complex indeed!

I think the fact that it is culturally acceptable to eat anywhere and everywhere contributes greatly.

Look at how much smoking has decreased now that it is culturally unacceptable to smoke anywhere.

The same thing would happen if it was unacceptable to eat anywhere except at a dining table or on a picnic blanket.

Crimson Wife, I bet your mom's snacks of fritos and coke were at a dining table. 

Emily

Single-income, double-income, wealthy, poor, what-have-you -- many fewer people today cook at home than ever before.  They don't have to.

If you're rich you can go out.  If you're not rich, you can find a tasty meal of bagged/boxed/frozen/canned foods at the grocery.  If you're in a hurry, you can go through a drive-through.  If you're at home, you can eat all day without cooking a single thing. 

Food is cheap.  Food is widely available.  Food tastes really good.  And nobody has to do any work to get it.  

I cook in a large church kitchen on the weekends.  We prepare breakfast, lunch, dinner for a total of about 1500 people each week.  The food tastes great and people really enjoy it.

We are on a budget.  The cheapest ingredients that pack the biggest punch in terms of large group appeal are sugar, salt, and whole-fat dairy products.  If people saw just how much of those go into our recipes, they'd take smaller servings.  

Restaurant food is the same way.  Most people would never prepare food at home on a regular basis the way a restaurant does it -- just too much butter, salt, and sugar.  So, those of us who eat out a lot need to take that into account.  It could quickly become a bit like eating Thanksgiving dinner every day if one eats out often.  That level of indulgence should not be a daily event.

(By the way, we do also serve lovely (and affordable) salads and make beautiful soups that have better nutritional value than our (very delicious) baked goods.  

The issues here are so complicated and frankly I don't think science yet understands why people are getting so fat.

Personally I think that microbes and micro-nutrients are pieces of the puzzle that will help scientists understand the relationship between diet and weight. It appears that the microbial worlds within us may dictate other health issues too (i.e. the connection between gingivitis and heart attacks).

With respect to micronutrients, these are the things that processing removes from our food supply, things that a supplementary vitamin may not be supplying either. I wonder...

My observations and thoughts, which include obese and morbidly obese extended family:

1. The invention of metformin.

Before metformin, one took care not to be overweight enough that diabetes and a daily injection would be part of one's life. Now one can pop a pill so it's hardly an inconvenience to be diabetic. Metformin is free at the local supermarket, with Dr.'s Rx.

2. The reduction in attending church

Some religions promote self-discipline. Gluttony for ex. is not encouraged.

3.  The reduction in poverty

In poverty, one is always concerned about having enough. When one gets to the point of having enough, if one does not change one's habits, the plate is still piled high, usually with cheap carbs. Those calories add up fast. I've seen data (probably on slate) where they say people consume roughly 330 more calories per day now than in our parent's gen.

4. The 'I don't cook' attitude some people have.

They aren't interested in preparing veggies or a meal, they hit a diner or do takeout, every day every meal. Now, most of the ones I know that do this are double dippers (i.e. on two gov't pensions) or dinks (double income, no kids) so they can afford the habit...except for the problems that come with the high salt, low fiber intake.

5.  The lifestyle

In the city, one takes transit everywhere. Outside the city, it's a vehicle. One rarely walks more than two blocks at once. At home, few garden or keep animals or even hang the wash out.  I use my fitbit to track my calorie expenditure. I now walk to the supermarket to buy veggies, just like when I lived in Europe, every few days. If I didn't make plans to walk, I'd use so little energy that I would get chubby just from getting in my daily 1200 calories needed to get the minimum nutrients. To lose weight, I have to plan in 600 calories daily beyond what my sedentary lifestyle usually adds up to.

6. Drinks

No one drank a 2 liter of soda pop between lunch and dinner when I was a kid. Not that I knew about anyway.  That or pounding down a six pack nightly adds up fast. I have one morbidly obese family member who drank 6 liters a day until the Dr. told him that he needed to choose between his heart and his soda.

7. Safety

Population has increased greatly. Children can't play outside with out a high risk of being run over by cars that don't respect residential neighborhood speed limits or encountering s.o.'s. That greatly reduces their activity compared to when we were children and played out all day until being called in for dinner.

Did you read the original post?

I"m pointing the experiences my extended family and neighbors have had, which are not your experiences. I've had several older neighbors get on the bike or walk, make the necessary diet changes, and lose the weight and get to the point where they were not considered diabetic. I also know several who pack in the food and drink, pop the pill and maintain their morbid obesity and diabetes, never considering swapping their pounds of potato salad for a garden salad and avoiding any referral to a nutritionist. Their issues have nothing to do with you; they are stated in answer to the OP. There is more than one cause and one solution to diabetes and to morbid obesity, and hopefully the OP will share her paper when done with her research.

Absolutely! to the bolded part. I do not mean to suggest otherwise. I fully believe in multiple contributions to the problem and those same problems may be fixed by different means in different people. That was what I was trying to point out by giving my story. Not that my story is the "right" way or only way, obviously. But, someone could easily look at me and think that I should have put down that bun-less burger with bacon and pick up an apple. I could be the that  gluttonous 'neighbor' you see popping a pill because I took Glucophage (metformin) along with eating low carb, and eating low-carb sure does look unhealthy.

I just disagree with you about some of your causes of obesity and wanted to present another side that you may or may not have been aware of.

BTW: Metformin is not just a diabetic drug. In fact (using myself as example again seeing as how I don't know your neighbors) I have never been diagnosed diabetic (my A1C has never crossed the threshold, nor have I had a high sugar reading as a response to a glucose tolerance test. I took the Glucophage to control the PCOS. I know some say that IR and diabetes are the same thing, but my Dr. says they are degrees of each other not the same thing. One can be IR and not diabetic.

I also just wanted to point out that people may not know that they can change their situation by trying low-carb. In the same way that I let people talk me out of staying low-carb in the first place,'they' may not be able to sort through all the contradictory info that is out there about how to eat right.

AND...as far as church attendance goes, one of the programs I tried after stopping low carb, ironically, was a church program called FIT4. It was a calorie based program that did not help people like me (which would include others too, I don't think I am the only one like me :001_smile: ). Again, just letting you know 'the possible other side' of the story.

Single-income, double-income, wealthy, poor, what-have-you -- many fewer people today cook at home than ever before.  They don't have to.

If you're rich you can go out.  If you're not rich, you can find a tasty meal of bagged/boxed/frozen/canned foods at the grocery.  If you're in a hurry, you can go through a drive-through.  If you're at home, you can eat all day without cooking a single thing. 

Food is cheap.  Food is widely available.  Food tastes really good.  And nobody has to do any work to get it.  

I think that is part of the problem.

Not all, but a good majority of food that is cheap and widely available is of poor nutritional value and highly problematic. Ramen noodles for example. I have seen these as low as $0.19 a package. Even at a 7-11 (convenience marts) I have seen them for around 50 cents a piece. I taught at a daycare that was mostly populated by SS recipients, and I saw every flavor of ramen noodle ever made because it was the most popular lunch sent in. :crying:  It was what the parents thought they could afford that was also easy to prepare. I don't think any of them thought that this was harmful. I asked many of the parents if I could offer their children carrots, celery, grapes and apples. They were always appreciative and supportive of their children having this option when I could bring it in.

Now, I know that carrots are not expensive, but I think this is an easy trap to fall into - thinking cheap, easy, won't spoil/go bad, store in a pantry type food is the way to go. These were hard-working women that either didn't know how or didn't see the need to learn how to prep healthier, and still cheap options.

I am not a "fermento" but at this point in the discussion I think someone (ahem--that would be me) should make the case for more fermented foods in the diet.

Enjoy your kimchi, tempeh and yogurt! And don't forget the wine and cheese! :)

You have a history of being extremely judgemental of double income families. Since you brought up the issue of double income families this thread was your chance to continue your mantra on the evils of working moms.

Umm, I used to be an employed mom until my 2nd child was born. I have a TON of sympathy for families where both parents need to be employed FT because of the ridiculously high cost of basics these days. BTDT and it's not an easy life.

I don't know which poster you've got me confused with, but I am definitely not someone who thinks that employed moms are evil.

I am not a "fermento" but at this point in the discussion I think someone (ahem--that would be me) should make the case for more fermented foods in the diet.

Enjoy your kimchi, tempeh and yogurt! And don't forget the wine and cheese! :)

Unless your body is weird like mine and you react to the high histamine content of fermented food.  But you are correct - most people should eat more fermented food.  

Junk Food. Many people eat regularly at "those" places and the "airburgers" contain nothing but horrifically bad ingredients; therefore there is nothing to nourish the body and 45 minutes after eating, the person is hungry again because the body is calling for some nourishment.

Secondary reason: we have become a sedentary society, sitting for most of the day and not taking the time to exercise.

and stay at home parents never go through the McDonald's drive through or buy frozen pizza. 

Do you have a statistic that directly compares eating out behavior of single income families to double income families. I bet the main difference is cheaper restaurants and more frozen prepared foods (eating stouffer's lasagna at home is cheaper, but not necessarily healthier than upscale takeout). I've known a few homeschooling moms who really didn't cook. 

"Study: Kids' weight increases when mom works more."

Different study: Maternal employment and childhood obesity

Google-fu suggests that this link is fairly well-known and accepted, rather than CrimsonMomWife's devious attempt to oppress the working mum.

eta: Edited to fix Crimson Wife's name.

Obesity correlates to poverty these days.  People in poverty are more likely to be obese. 

And it's a nasty cycle. Food insecurity leads some to stockpile calories when they are available.

Somewhat OT, because it talks about food availability rather than obesity, but did anyone read this article on the weekend?

In rural Tennessee, a new way to help hungry children: A bus turned bread truck

Desperation had become their permanent state, defining each of their lives in different ways. For Courtney, it meant she had stayed rail thin, with hand-me-down jeans that fell low on her hips. For Taylor, 14, it meant stockpiling calories whenever food was available, ingesting enough processed sugar and salt to bring on a doctorĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s lecture about obesity and early-onset diabetes, the most common risks of a food-stamp diet. For Anthony, 9, it meant moving out of the trailer and usually living at his grandparentsĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ farm. For Hannah, 7, it meant her report card had been sent home with a handwritten note of the teacherĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s concerns, one of which read: Ă¢â‚¬Å“Easily distracted by other people eating.Ă¢â‚¬ For Sarah, the 9-month-old baby, it meant sometimes being fed Mountain Dew out of the can after she finished her formula, a dose of caffeine that kept her up at night.

I don't know why, but it was the bolded that got me, even more so than the baby.

I think that overall, Americans eat too much, maybe not in quantity (though some of that, too), but in quality for sure.  There are too many processed foods that have become the norm, portion sizes are apparently quite large, etc.  

The other biggest contributor is, I believe, the lack of exercise.  Thing is, the US is just NOT a naturally exercise-friendly country in a lot of places.  So many people live in areas that aren't conducive to exercising without paying for a gym membership.  We don't, as a whole, live in a country where we can walk to the market to get something (with the exception of some cities) or incorporate walking/exercise as a part of our daily lives without being very purposeful about it.  I think there are other places where one does this, therefore getting more exercise without even thinking about it, kwim?

I do think genetics can play a factor, as well.  For example, some people really are just genetically bigger-built (but still within the range of healthy and normal, like me when I don't need to lose a few pounds ;) ...though I wish I could say that I could be 5'6" and weigh less than 130, it just never has happened for me.  I don't think I've weighed less than 130 since...early high school?  And at my lower weights - 130-135 - I didn't look big or obese at ALL.  At the same time, there are those who are built in a way that 130 looks large on them at 5'6").  There are also other genetic conditions and such that affect health that could have a negative impact on one's weight.

FWIW, my answers were that 1. Americans eat too much (quality of food is bad), 2. don't get enough exercise; that I fall into the 'other' category, because I'm not quite 'fit' yet, but I'm definitely more toward the fit side than I am the obese/unhealthy side.  I exercise regularly but am still relatively new at it (only been doing it a couple months) and I definitely see results.  I know I had posted last week about not having lost a lot of weight despite running, but noticing that things fit differently, etc - let me tell you, the dress I wore to church yesterday was a DEFINITE example of that!  It was the dress I had bought for Easter this year, and it was pushing it a little as far as being something I was comfortable in.  I won't wear spanx or anything like that, so I hesitate to buy dresses that I feel will show any lumpy-bumpiness or anything like that - I want to look smooth and svelte or I won't wear it.  Period.  So anyway, I bought this dress at Easter and it looked good - I was a little over-concerned about my stomach not looking perfectly flat in it (note: my stomach is NOT perfectly flat.  There is just a certain type of dress that gives this illusion on me :D ) but overall it was great.  I wore it again yesterday, and I rocked it.  No worrying about the flat stomach illusion because the dress was hanging a little further from my body so I didn't have to worry about it.  

Score!  :party:  

Anyway, I think we eat pretty well, and I think that was the last thing that I answered on the poll.  :)  

Everyone is different. I mean, several posters are posting how all the snacking going on is horrible. I cannot imagine what my youngest dd would look like if she wasn't eating and snacking all the time. She is tall, stick thin, and always hungry. She burns it off about as quick as she puts it in her mouth and she's not that active. She has her dad's metabolism though and it's crazy. Many tell me to feed her more protein, but last night's dinner was steak, potatoes, and salad - of which she only ate steak and salad. She pigged out and an hour later made herself scrambled eggs with cheese. Half an hour after that she asking for cheese and fruit.

I don't really know what the problem is, though. I'm overweight but only eat two normal meals a day. Dh and I always share an entree when we eat out because one is just too much food for me. I've started running and I hope that helps the weight come off. The only medical problem I have is low B12. I cook from scratch most nights and it's usually always rather healthy.

Do you have a statistic that directly compares eating out behavior of single income families to double income families.

You want studies?

The "American Journal of Epidemiology" found that children whose moms were employed full-time were 48 percent more likely to be overweight than those with stay-at-home moms. http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-204_162-6573110.html

The journal "Child Development" published a study finding that the more years a woman spends at work after her childĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s birth, the more that childĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s BMI rises http://healthland.time.com/2011/02/04/are-working-moms-to-blame-for-childhood-obesity/#ixzz2YVG5OYzB

http://www.parenting.com/blogs/show-and-tell/lauren-parentingcom/study-working-moms-have-fatter-kids

I'm not sure if this is the same study or a different one in "Child Development", but it found that children of employed mothers were six times more likely to be overweight as children of SAHM's. http://www.mybesthealthportal.net/nutrition/latest-nutrition-studies/children-of-working-mothers-are-six-times-more-likely-to-be-fat.html

A study published in the journal "Economics and Human Biology" found that employed mothers spent 3 1/2 hours less per day on chores related to their kids' diet & exercise compared to SAHM's. The researchers specifically mentioned substituting takeout for home-cooked meals as a timesaving measure. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120827162011.htm

ETA: I'm really not trying to bash employed moms, just point out that the switch away from home-cooked meals to takeout & "convenience" foods largely driven by the rise in maternal employment is a major cause of the childhood obesity epidemic.

I do keep attempting to respond and have put two long posts up now, upon which time my internet connection goes kaput and all my efforts are lost. Thanks everyone for participating and do keep 'em coming.

You want studies?

The "American Journal of Epidemiology" found that children whose moms were employed full-time were 48 percent more likely to be overweight than those with stay-at-home moms. http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-204_162-6573110.html

The journal "Child Development" published a study finding that the more years a woman spends at work after her childĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s birth, the more that childĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s BMI rises http://healthland.time.com/2011/02/04/are-working-moms-to-blame-for-childhood-obesity/#ixzz2YVG5OYzB

http://www.parenting.com/blogs/show-and-tell/lauren-parentingcom/study-working-moms-have-fatter-kids

I'm not sure if this is the same study or a different one in "Child Development", but it found that children of employed mothers were six times more likely to be overweight as children of SAHM's. http://www.mybesthealthportal.net/nutrition/latest-nutrition-studies/children-of-working-mothers-are-six-times-more-likely-to-be-fat.html

A study published in the journal "Economics and Human Biology" found that employed mothers spent 3 1/2 hours less per day on chores related to their kids' diet & exercise compared to SAHM's. The researchers specifically mentioned substituting takeout for home-cooked meals as a timesaving measure. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120827162011.htm

ETA: I'm really not trying to bash employed moms, just point out that the switch away from home-cooked meals to takeout & "convenience" foods largely driven by the rise in maternal employment is a major cause of the childhood obesity epidemic.

But when the subgroup data is teased out:

http://www.ers.usda.gov/media/328697/efan04004e_1_.pdf

The results suggest that the mechanism through which maternal employment affects childhood overweight is constraint on the motherĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s time; hours per week (i.e., intensity of work), not the number of weeks worked, affect childrenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s probability of overweight. The increase in the motherĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s time constraints may lead to behavioral changes affecting the childĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s nutrition and physical activity,such as the motherĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s greater reliance on calorie-dense convenience foods and her lack of time for supervising vigorous play outside. Moreover, the authors demonstrate the importance of examining explanations for childhood overweight separately for subgroups. Working more hours per week only has a deleterious effect on the weight of children in higher socioeconomic status households.

And I find it interesting that these studies all focus exclusively on "mothers," rather than "parents." 

employed mothers spent 3 1/2 hours less per day on chores related to their kids' diet & exercise compared to SAHM's.

This made me smile. My mother was a SAHM for my young childhood. She cooked (but it wasn't her favorite thing to do). Her contribution to her kids' exercise? "GO OUTSIDE! NOW!" :)

I live in area that is demographically similar to the one in which I grew up (affluent, predominantly white & Asian). It is frankly shocking the childhood obesity rate here compared to when I was a kid in the '80's. Back then, there was typically 1 heavy kid per classroom, or about a 4% obesity rate. Today it's about 20%. These aren't families who cannot afford healthy meals for their families because the kids are wearing designer clothes and being chauffered around in luxury SUV's.

It's politically incorrect to say, but I blame a lot of the childhood obesity epidemic on the rise in moms who are employed FT. Fewer moms have the time to cook healthy meals from scratch every day. It's easy when you're tired to just rely on eating out, takeout, and/or highly processed "convenience" foods. Additionally, kids are being driven to & from school en route to mom's office instead of walking or biking.

The larger portion sizes definitely aren't helping things either.

I don't disagree with most of this, but I do disagree with the bolded.  It is not a lack of time to cook healthy meals from scratch.  It is a lack of knowledge of how to do so coupled with either an unwillingness or an inability to learn how.  Very healthy meals can easily be made in a very short amount of time.  There are even hundreds of cookbooks devoted to healthy cooking in under 30 minutes and even dozens for under 15 minutes. 

Also, a male parent (if there is one) can cook just as easily as a female parent.  So, if both are slacking off of the meal prep, then both are to blame for the results.

ETA: And, I absolutely agree with the portions sizes.  We've got obesity problems in Canada as well, but not really the rates of the US.  When we go south of the border, we are truly shocked and somewhat sickened at the size of portions in restaurants.  I once ordered a child's burger meal for my then 6 year old son at a Chili's restaurant.  What he was served could have easily fed both his father and me!  It was actually quite disgusting to look at that trough of food in front of a small child. 

There was an interesting opinion piece on Salon a few months back:

Is Michael Pollan a sexist pig?

Excerpt:

ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s easy to forget, in the face of todayĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s foodie culture, that cooking is not fun when itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s mandatory.

There is a lot in life that is not fun, but still needs to be done.  

ETA: And, I absolutely agree with the portions sizes.  We've got obesity problems in Canada as well, but not really the rates of the US.  When we go south of the border, we are truly shocked and somewhat sickened at the size of portions in restaurants.  I once ordered a child's burger meal for my then 6 year old son at a Chili's restaurant.  What he was served could have easily fed both his father and me!  It was actually quite disgusting to look at that trough of food in front of a small child. 

Interesting.  When we were in Canada a couple of years ago, I don't recall noticing any significant difference in portion sizes than what we typically get here in the States.  But that was more a comparison of mom-and-pop (non-chain) restaurants.  Some of the chains certainly do serve huge portions.

There is a lot in life that is not fun, but still needs to be done.

Absolutely, but not everyone is a foodie. There's something to be said for healthy *and* convenient, rather than sneering at those who think of food in more utilitarian terms.

Absolutely, but not everyone is a foodie. There's something to be said for healthy *and* convenient, rather than sneering at those who think of food in more utilitarian terms.

Well, food is a utilitarian thing. We need calories.  There is an infinite number of ways to get calories.  There are some healthier ways to get it and less healthy ways.  It doesn't have to be "foodie" food to sustain us in a healthy manner.  I think that part of the problem is the near-fetishization of food. 

Food is more expensive in Canada. I don't eat out much, so I don't know about that. If you factor in the racial make up and rural vs. urban populations, are Canadians still thinner?

Yes, but we still have an obesity problem that needs to be addressed.  According to this, the US rate of those 15 and older with a BMI over 30 is slightly over 30%.  For Canada, that rate is slightly over 14%.

Portion sizes, and too little physical activity naturally built into the day.

I grew up in Europe; cities are not as car centered, and people simply walk and bike more without hvaing to schedule "exercise" specifically. Kids walk to school, people walk to the store.

Portion sizes are a huge difference as well.

I do not believe that Americans are genetically so much different from the people in their countries of origin; the few hundred years maximum since they immigrated are too short.

Oh, and one more thing: a distorted attitude towards food. Lets thank the Puritans for that. Nowhere else have I seen people eat with so much guilt and so little genuine appreciation for quality.

Many people seem not to believe that food choices matter, and their behaviour reflects that.

People also seem not to understand that our requirements change according to age, season and health. Fermented foods are healthy choices, unless your system is weak, in which case, you'd better start small or you'll make yourself sick.

Sleep deprivation is another problem. The less energy you are getting by sleeping, the more you will have to turn to consumable sources.

I was never overweight until I had my dc, and even then, I was okay until I piled on 5 pregnancies in 7 years. Since then, it's been a neverending struggle to try and lose the weight I put on with those pregnancies.

I took a trip to Paris & Rome with my ds. The food was wonderful, and I ate whatever I wanted during that time. In the 10 days that we were gone, I lost ten pounds. I enjoyed public transportation, and along with that came frequent walks to metro stations, bus stops, etc.  If our destination was close, we walked there. In my real life I life in an area where public transportation is non-existent, and the only way to get anywhere is to get in my car and drive there, since I live appx. 8 miles out of town.

This is so ironic that I had to reply--I had the exact opposite experience.  I just got back from a month in Europe, where I gained 5 pounds.  I was far more active than I normally am at home;  my legs ached at night from all the walking.  I normally eat low-carb, because it keeps my weight down and because wheat doesn't agree with me.  I didn't overeat, but I did eat far more carbs than I do at home.  It's very hard to avoid bread when you are traveling and trying to keep expenses down. 

Not to deny your experience at all, Julie;  it just shows, I think, that there isn't one simple answer. 

This is so ironic that I had to reply--I had the exact opposite experience. I just got back from a month in Europe, where I gained 5 pounds. I was far more active than I normally am at home; my legs ached at night from all the walking. I normally eat low-carb, because it keeps my weight down and because wheat doesn't agree with me. I didn't overeat, but I did eat far more carbs than I do at home. It's very hard to avoid bread when you are traveling and trying to keep expenses down.

Not to deny your experience at all, Julie; it just shows, I think, that there isn't one simple answer.

I also gain weight in europe. I've lived there a couple times and it's always the same. I don't overeat & walk everywhere but the lbs pile on all the same.

Not sure how common this is but part of my issues with food stem from my parents' experiences during the war & in extreme poverty. That kind of thing is hard to overcome.

I don't know if this was said, but it should be noted that just because a person is thin, it doesn't necessarily mean they are 'fit' or in shape! (Yes, this would be me, huffing and puffing up the hill and not even carrying any extra baggage.) Many think because they are skinny they'll not get heart disease or type 2 diabetes, and it does happen more than people realize.

I think 1) sugar and junky drinks + 2) very little exercise are the 2 main culprits. I see so many moms giving their kids sugar drinks and artificially sweetened drinks all the time. What a horrible habit to start. Just as bad as smoking. DRINK WATER!!!!!!!!!! My kids don't even like juice because they hardly get it. We're at birthday parties and begging for water because there is none to be had. Who eats cake with punch?!? Disgusting. Ok, rant over.

I don't agree with the food pyramid/plate thing either. Too many carbs, not enough protein, and too much emphasis that fat is bad for you. Ummm, too many carbs turns into fat and triglycerides - the bad kind! And many of us are actually deficient in the good fats.

Not sure how common this is but part of my issues with food stem from my parents' experiences during the war & in extreme poverty. That kind of thing is hard to overcome.

There's evidence that the propensity to put on weight can be passed down through epigenetics through at least one generation of offspring (and I do seem to recall it's more than one) in such circumstances.