Menu

A lady at the grocery THREW another customer's pastry bag back down the conveyor belt!

unsinkable

I went to get DD some sicilian pizza.

In the checkout, I was the third person in line. The conveyor belt was empty and it looked like the first person was paying.

The second person put her pastry bag on the moving conveyor belt and it (the pastry bag) toddled along happily until it reached the end.

The first person grabbed the innocent little pastry bag and THREW it back down the conveyor belt.

Pastry assault. I'd never thought I'd witness it.

Somebody needs to go to time out for a little bit.

I have a friend who always stops and prays for the perpetrators when she witnesses something like this. She figures they are having a hard time with something and could use a prayer. My reaction to witnessing that is to roll my eyes.

Did the cashier say anything? What a crazy woman!

The cashier said don't do that but the pastry thrower just walked off. Then the cashier said I'm sorry to the pastry owner.

The funny thing was since the belt started moving again after she threw it, it was just back down where it started.

I went to get DD some sicilian pizza.

In the checkout, I was the third person in line. The conveyor belt was empty and it looked like the first person was paying.

The second person put her pastry bag on the moving conveyor belt and it (the pastry bag) toddled along happily until it reached the end.

The first person grabbed the innocent little pastry bag and THREW it back down the conveyor belt.

Pastry assault. I'd never thought I'd witness it.

Oh dear. How scathingly you could have chidden that woman! :D (I can't resist importing a joke from the now-disappeared thread.)

Enjoy your pizza!

O-6

The woman sounds like a real nut. I don't think I have ever seen anyone get offended by conveyor belt infringement, but maybe I just don't get out enough. :rolleyes:

So you're saying homeschool kids do not have the under socialized market cornered?

she probably is having a hard day. where are the dividers when you need them? :willy_nilly: (I probably would have handed one to her - to "help" her seperate her items from the pastry. it's a more subtle way of chiding her. ;) . . . so glad I got to see that thread before it was gone. usually I miss all the fun.) probably not freaking like a child that her food was inedible because other food touched it, but maybe paranoid the chasier would charge for pastry she wasn't going to get to eat?

oo, la-la!

la-patisserie_1.jpg

this is incomplete. :glare: we have been known to frequent a danish pastry place. dh's like sarah bernhardts. chocolate mousse on a chocolate macaroon, dipped in chocolate and topped with minced pistachio. I'm partial to a 'lowly' potato. choux pastry, pastry cream, covered with marzipan and cocoa powder

eta: must resist must resist . . . .

The funny thing was since the belt started moving again after she threw it, it was just back down where it started.

That was my first thought -- if the belt isn't turned off, the bag will just keep ending up in the same spot. The stupidity of not realizing that it would move back probably bothers me more than tossing the bag in the first place. And, depending on my mood, I might've burst out laughing.

That was my first thought -- if the belt isn't turned off, the bag will just keep ending up in the same spot. The stupidity of not realizing that it would move back probably bothers me more than tossing the bag in the first place. And, depending on my mood, I might've burst out laughing.

It may not have been stupidity as much as frustration and/or just trying to pay and get her own stuff out of the way before the pastry struck again.

I understand the belts are often rigged to move automatically, but I will confess to some irritation when spaces I've left intentionally between my own selections and those of the person behind me in line begin colliding, especially when those interloping items are things that are problematic for me or my family. For example, a package of juicy, dripping raw meat that I'd much rather not have contaminate my vegan groceries? I've had it happen and had both the checker and the other customer act like it's no big deal, which is, I'm sorry, infuriating.

Someone else mentioned, possibly as a joke, that the woman might be trying to go gluten free. But what if that's not a joke to her at all? What if she has a family member who suffers from celiac and she is trying to avoid contamination?

Be gone, devilish pastries!

In her defense, it's incredibly difficult to say "that's not mine" if the checker had started to ring it up with her items.

That, too. I've actually come home with items I did not place in my cart or among my selections on the belt. And, again, especially if it's something that one truly doesn't want in one's home, that's actually pretty annoying. (And, to add insult to injury, it probably means one paid for said item, too.)

I mean, sure, maybe she was just a jerk having a bad day, and I'm not defending the actual pastry abuse. But I don't think it's necessarily as indefensible as folks here want to make it sound.

It may not have been stupidity as much as frustration and/or just trying to pay and get her own stuff out of the way before the pastry struck again.

But the OP said the belt was already EMPTY when the second customer put the bag of pastries on it.

The examples you give (dripping meat, something rung up with your purchase, etc.) certainly could be frustrating, but that's why they make those plastic divider rods. And in this particular situation there wasn't anything to divide, since the belt was empty to start with.

But the OP said the belt was already EMPTY when the second customer put the bag of pastries on it.

The examples you give (dripping meat, something rung up with your purchase, etc.) certainly could be frustrating, but that's why they make those plastic divider rods. And in this particular situation there wasn't anything to divide, since the belt was empty to start with.

Oh dear. I sincerely apologize for not using every bit of my brainpower to read carefully enough to notice that part.

(The dividers don't work to fix the situations I mentioned, though. The conveyer belts just push stuff right up over the dividers.)

I always figure those belts are pretty grungy, and thus likely to contaminate my groceries with rogue gluten or meat drippings regardless of what I place where. And if customers make it a habit to toss groceries down the length of the belt, I'd picture air born gluten, etc., landing all over.

Another grocery-tossing story I just remembered: The other day I saw a woman tossing all of the avocados in a large display around while looking for a nice one. I pointed out that she was bruising them for future customers (believe it or not, I said it nicely and sympathetically). She said it didn't matter because they were softer than she liked them anyway. :confused1:

The cashier said don't do that but the pastry thrower just walked off. Then the cashier said I'm sorry to the pastry owner.

God Bless people who work in retail, they really do see the worst of peoples' behavior.

Oh dear. I sincerely apologize for not using every bit of my brainpower to read carefully enough to notice that part.

(The dividers don't work to fix the situations I mentioned, though. The conveyer belts just push stuff right up over the dividers.)

Really? The conveyor belts around here stop whenever something gets to the metal weigh/scan area. That "something" includes the divider. So when the divider gets to the weigh/scan the entire belt stops running.

I think this thread calls for a glossary of pastry-related criminal terms (plus, I don't want to fold my laundry right now, so this is a welcome distraction :tongue_smilie: ). We've already got pastry assault and crimes against patisserie.

For your consideration:

- crime de la creme - or alternatively: creme de la crime

- pastry abuse

- cakenapping

- pastrytution

- EPWI (Eating Pastry While Intoxicated)