Menu

What is your MOST loved curriculum?

Ariston

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I just applaud the mom that listed "the internet" as her top choice? I could have never homeschooled without the internet. We are so blessed to have the forums, Pinterest, thousands of blogs, millions of websites devoted to homeschooling. How did the homeschool pioneers do it? :laugh: :hurray:

Well, I got a lot more done and was a more focused teacher. Seriously.

RightStart Math B,C,D (Best Foundational Math Ever)

Teaching Textbooks Math (I no longer have nightmares about how I can possibly teach my son preAlgebra)

SOTW with Activity Book (Yes, we mummified the chicken. Awesome!)

MCT Language Arts (Teaches a true love of language)

Sonlight Readers/ReadAlouds (Turned my reluctant reader into an eager reader)

FLL 1&2 (Lovely, organic intro to grammar)

Homeschool in the Woods Time Travelers (No other craft/games/hands-on history resource needed)

The curricula that I am keeping on my shelf even after it has been used by all...

Wordsmith Aprentice

Mystery of History

AOPS (a word about this one, none of my children, so far, have really used this, just not their style of learning, however AOPS is an excellent curriculum and I have it on my shelf for me)

Apologia Elementary sreies

These are being kept because they are excellent curricula and because they are not subject to constant changes.

I did not list BJU Elementary math or their K and 1st grade curriculum, all of which I feel are excellent twice over, however because BJU does update and make improvements every few years so keeping these on a shelf is useless since the consumables would be impossible to buy after a change.

How did the homeschool pioneers do it?

When I started in the mid 90s all many people had was:

Writing Road to Reading 4th

Saxon math

KJV Bible

Library card

Timetables of History

And before TWTM Guide to American Christian Education was quite popular

We got paper catalogs in the mail, and actually mailed checks by snail mail. The trendy amongst us used a phone to call in our orders using a charge card. :lol:

It was actually easier back then. Seriously! I don't envy you ladies starting now with all this pressure and information overload. You do NOT have it easier than we did!

Miquon and Brave Writer.

There are many others that I like, but those are the two I really love. I might also love Tin Man Press, but it's very supplemental.

And while I don't have to imagine life without BW, Miquon is over for us now. Sniffle.

Passport Middle Ages from Homeschool in the Woods- it's so well done and gets into the way life was instead of just the history

The Nature Connection- We used this as our stand alone science program and just rolled with it. It's broken down by month of nature activities to do and really covers a lot of ground. We studied a tree through the seasons, animals and all sorts of things. It's a wonderful, cheap book that is PERFECT for elementary science.

Singapore Science

The Logic of English- both foundations and essentials are so well done. I taught my kids to read with it, and both of them are spelling so well. It's even improved my spelling.

So I am just heading into my first year of HS and I am seeing many of out curriculum choices on peoples lists! This makes me feel good :) I am sure that we will make some changes, I cannot imagine anyone picks the perfect curriculum the first year lol Thanks for the encouragement.

Galore Park, particularly Latin, English and French.

Laura

I really like the sample for "So you really want to learn French". I look forward to trying it in a year or two. I want to have both my boys work on it together so I'm thinking it might be best to start it when Eldest is 10 1/2 and Youngest is 9. So of a comprise for the recommend age. They will already have some basic French down so I'm hoping it would work out with starting Youngest before the recommended age.

I really like the sample for "So you really want to learn French". I look forward to trying it in a year or two. I want to have both my boys work on it together so I'm thinking it might be best to start it when Eldest is 10 1/2 and Youngest is 9. So of a comprise for the recommend age. They will already have some basic French down so I'm hoping it would work out with starting Youngest before the recommended age.

Yes and no. It depends. I tried to teach my two together when then were 12 and 9. It worked really well for both of them, but the 9yo needed to move much more slowly than the 12yo. I couldn't find the right pace for the two of them - either the younger was confused or the elder was bored. I ended up teaching them separately: the older moved ahead and I went back to the beginning with the younger so that we could go back over the material that we had moved through too fast.

Sorry that this is not more helpful.....

Laura

Yes and no. It depends. I tried to teach my two together when then were 12 and 9. It worked really well for both of them, but the 9yo needed to move much more slowly than the 12yo. I couldn't find the right pace for the two of them - either the younger was confused or the elder was bored. I ended up teaching them separately: the older moved ahead and I went back to the beginning with the younger so that we could go back over the material that we had moved through too fast.

Sorry that this is not more helpful.....

Laura

I might have to separate them. But they like working on things together so would like to start with that and only separate them if I have to. I also am fine with modifying the work for Youngest. For example just work on him understanding the work but not being able to write it. Then quickly cycle through it again with him when he is older.

Mystery of History

BJU middle science: Life, Earth/Space, Physical

CLE Math

I get warm, fuzzy feelings over MCT's stuff, but it just isn't a good fit for my boys (except for Word Within a Word for my oldest). I still refuse to sell any of my MCT stuff, though...hoping little daughter will thrive with it! :)

Oh this is such a fun topic! I loved reading all the favorites!

I agree, I'm having so much fun reading the responses and looking up the ones I haven't heard of! Although it pains me every time someone says Konos because I've always really wanted to try it but think I probably never will :(

Also I find it interesting that two people mentioned Lyra colored pencils....how could I not go out and buy them now?

I agree, I'm having so much fun reading the responses and looking up the ones I haven't heard of! Although it pains me every time someone says Konos because I've always really wanted to try it but think I probably never will :(

Also I find it interesting that two people mentioned Lyra colored pencils....how could I not go out and buy them now?

I bought them last night after reading the comments on this thread :lol:

Just finishing my 2nd year HS so don't have the experience of so many of you, but so far our favorites have been:

Miquon

FIAR

FLL

AAS

We are starting MCT this fall and have seen all the glowing reviews in this thread, so keeping my fingers crossed that we will hit a homerun with that too!

This is sort of a spin-off, but I was wondering what have been the 2 or 3 curricula that you just wouldn't even want to homeschool without? We all have things we like and love, but what are the few things you've found that have just been essential for you?

We have plenty of "stuff," but when I look at the shelves I know we could homeschool without most of it. The few things I've found that have been essential have not been materials that teach the student, but rather resources that have helped me to grow as a person, mother, teacher, and leader in my home. I wouldn't want to homeschool without:

1. The support, encouragement, and broad shoulders ;) of my husband

2. Our extended family and church community

3. Prayer, water, protein, sleep, and exercise :)

Money for materials is nice. We've homeschooled without it and with it. I like "with it" better, but we would find ways to go on learning. I can't think of homeschool materials that I consider essential -- as in, "can't homeschool without them." What I need to keep going is my husband, my family, my church, God's grace, and a body that works. HTH.

MUS (finally made my ODS understand fractions!)

Internet (so many great craft ideas, free book lists, fun history videos, free worksheets/notebooking pages, free lapbooks, etc)

Our library card (our library is small but I have managed to get a LOT of good books through them)

I was homeschooled then. My grandparents solution was to buy a graded curriculum in a box, hand me a monstrous pile of workbooks, and take me to the library regularly. There were a whopping 3 companies that would sell to homeschoolers then. But just keeping me home was revolutionary enough at the time, and I don't fault my grandparents for those horrible ACE paces. They were doing their best to raise a pair of adopted grandkids instead of retiring.

If you're truly interested in learning more about the bolded, read Homeschooling for Excellence by the Colfaxes. :001_smile:

(To this day I have a near allergic reaction to the thought of a graded kit. :tongue_smilie: My kids

have never had one.)

I hear you! I was homeschooled in the dark ages too. You will never see me use BJU, Abeka or those packs! My parents were taking a big step by keeping me home, but it came with a lot of uncertainty. They stuck with what was on hand. I am soooo grateful for all we have now. My mom is fascinated by all the choices there are, and says I am doing such a better job than she did. I tell her it is only because of those choices.

We've had good luck with Internet based reading programs. Click-n-read phonics for DS1, and Reading Eggs for DS2.

Right Start A or B (but not both..too repetitive.)

HWOT Kindy.

Sonlight book lists.

Also, not a curriculum, but all of my kids have loved the "You Wouldn't Want to be a ....." series. (History)

Well I haven't had much experience homeschooling my younger two long term yet. My favorites may change. But looking back on what I've done over the years with my oldest, the things that I love and will go back to again and again...

Sequential Spelling (I pray this works as well with my other kids, because it has been a smashing success with my oldest.) Bravewriter and WWE combo. I doubt I'll ever seriously consider other writing curricula.

Miquon math.

And all things Montessori related.

I also have a big place in my heart for Ambleside Online. I had zero budget and zero know-how when my oldest was 1st grade, and I followed Ambleside to a T and read every thing on that website. Now I pick and choose and do my own thing, and look through WTM more often, but I still gravitate to Ambleside when in doubt.