Menu

We've had the thread about words people dislike..

Parrothead

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"To make a long story short...."

"That's what I'm talking about."

I say both of these, but I'm quoting something when I do. The first is from the movie Clue, the second was Mitchell's "catch phrase" on Stargate SG1. I could probably hold an entire conversation in movie and TV quotes.

I say both of these, but I'm quoting something when I do. The first is from the movie Clue, the second was Mitchell's "catch phrase" on Stargate SG1. I could probably hold an entire conversation in movie and TV quotes.

As could I, lol. :cheers2:

ETA: "With all do respect..." causes the same reaction as "No offense, but...." Every time I hear the phrase, it reminds me of the movie Talledega Nights.

Wait...wait..it's all *due* respect!!!

Sorry, had to fix that, lol.

"Building a platform, leveraging ______"

I'm also getting really tired how mom blogs all talk about "mamas" and "babes." I guess those are the trendy words to use or something. :confused:

Another thing I noticed recently is the phrase "sort of." Smart people (or people trying to sound smart) seems to use it when explaining something, but it's WAY over-used. It strikes me as filler that is supposed to project "intelligent, well-spoken, approachable." I was listening to TED talks last night and some of them do it constantly. Interviewees on NPR do it, too. "My colleagues and I have come up with a study that, sort of, further explores the dynamic we've been talking about. What we do is, we put our subjects into an environment that sort of mimics the power scenario, and then measure the hormone levels that result from taking on the body posture that... sort of, projects this kind of dominance to others."

Awesome! Leveraging your synergies is so critical to enabling strategic mindshare..... :tongue_smilie:

What industry were you in? I worked in the tech industry.

I work in the finance industry and I think the bs generator may be helpful to me as I put together our next marketing piece!!! Lol That was awesome. :)

Well, mine is a misspeak: "I could care less" :glare:

Or "As per" when it is Per.....

I live in Texas, but I am NEVER "fixin to" do anything! :hurray:

I have my own communication issues. Bless my heart.

In Chicago, the term is "finna."

As in, "I finna go to th' sto." :thumbup1:

One of my wonderful girlfriends is from Chicago, and she says "come with"... as in "Want to come with?" or "Can I come with?"

Can you really not say the entire sentence? She blames it on her Jewish-Chicago upbringing (her words).

I had never heard this other than from her, so I'm not sure if it's a regional thing or not?

When we first moved here (Illinois), people said this all the time. The first few times I was waiting for them to finish the sentence. Want to come with.....? It was an awkward silence while this southern girl figured out that WAS the end of the sentence.

I still hate that phrase.

"I don't mean to change the subject," or, "Not to change the subject," when said by someone who immediately changes the subject.

ETA: There is nothing wrong with changing the subject--just 'fess up. "I apologize for changing the subject, but..."

"Building a platform, leveraging ______"

I'm also getting really tired how mom blogs all talk about "mamas" and "babes." I guess those are the trendy words to use or something. :confused:

You reminded me...

Mama used as a verb..."Mama-ing my Littles."

It makes me shudder.

I always call my boys dude. "Dude. Go take a shower."

I do as well. Then I think, why did you not leave that term behind in High School. I especially feel silly when I hear the 10yo boys using it liberally.

"No regrets. It made me the person I am today." Separately or together.

I'm not preaching a need to wallow in guilt, but I happen to think regret can be a healthy emotion which motivates us to analyze our mistakes and make better decisions in the future. It makes me cringe to see people disassociate so easily from the cr-ppy things they do, especially those that hurt others. I physically wince when I hear this, even when its something fairly minor.

When we first moved here (Illinois), people said this all the time. The first few times I was waiting for them to finish the sentence. Want to come with.....? It was an awkward silence while this southern girl figured out that WAS the end of the sentence.

I still hate that phrase.

I had never heard that phrase until I moved to the south and heard a southerner (whose family went back many generations in the area) use it. My response was the same as yours. The speaker also used the phrase "pull the door to" to indicate he wanted the door closed. Him: "Will you pull the door to?" Me: Pull the door to what?" Him a little louder becuase surely I just didn't hear him: "Pull the door to." Me a little louder right back: "Pull the door to WHAT?"

Another phrase I have only heard here in the south is 'cut on/off' as in "Cut the lights on" or "cut the lights off." Drives me batty.

We also get lots of 'fixin to' and 'fudna' (which is a close relative of 'fixin to', apparently).

I also can't stand baby bump, baby daddy, and FEmale (when used to speak about a woman).

It's not a phrase, but when the media stops blending stars' names and creating stupid nicknames, I will do cartwheels down the street. Seriously. BenJen, Bennifer, BranJolina, and the nicknames of K-Stew, R-patz, J-Lo, etc. Makes me want to scream.

I freely admit that I use several of the phrases mentioned upthread. Sorry for making y'all twitch. :lol:

I do as well. Then I think, why did you not leave that term behind in High School. I especially feel silly when I hear the 10yo boys using it liberally.

:smilielol5: I hope that's one of the few things I didn't leave behind! Now I'm wondering what else I haven't outgrown? My boys do love things from the 80's though. We're often sidetracked during school with youtube 80's music videos.

"I know, right?" tops my list. I also dislike "man up" "git 'er done", and the local-to-me use "X needs done." For instance, "your shirt needs washed" or "my lawn needs mowed."

Eastern Ohio/Western PA? I use "and whatnot" a lot. It's probably annoying.

Cut the lights on/off is making me nuts here. Dh hasn't lost that one yet. Yesterday he told dd to cut out the light on her bedroom. I cringed.

This is the one that put "at" at the end of his sentences because everybody does it around here (except me. It makes me crazy to hear it). Yet nobody talks about cutting lights. Maybe one day.

This is only something I've heard from my relatives in the mid-west. "So we went to the store, and that...we went hiking, and that..." I get sidetracked focusing on what in the world "and that" is supposed to mean that I miss the whole conversation!

This is only something I've heard from my relatives in the mid-west. "So we went to the store, and that...we went hiking, and that..." I get sidetracked focusing on what in the world "and that" is supposed to mean that I miss the whole conversation!

I think they mean "whatnot." :001_smile:

One of my wonderful girlfriends is from Chicago, and she says "come with"... as in "Want to come with?" or "Can I come with?"

Can you really not say the entire sentence? She blames it on her Jewish-Chicago upbringing (her words).

I had never heard this other than from her, so I'm not sure if it's a regional thing or not?

I know people from Illinois and Indiana who say it all the time.

"Where are you at?" The AT is redundant and annoying!

"At the end of the day" my husband got in the habit of saying this so much it became like a verbal tic. He's pretty much stopped since I finally blew up and threw a tantrum about it. (He was using it repeatedly in a dismissive manner when I was trying to have a serious conversation.)

"Like" -- as in, "I was like," "I'm like," etc. Every. Other. Word. Oldest dd started that when she started hanging around other kids, and I shut that down really fast by making her repeat the sentence using correct vocabulary. Unfortunately, adults are often the worst offenders. I heard her Sunday School teacher start a sentence in the lesson, "And Joseph was like...."

Don't forget "you know." One of the teens spoke at church Sunday. He started out by saying he doesn't like to use notes and prefers to just wing it. He should have stuck with notes. In about seven minutes of speaking, he must have said "you know" at least fifty times, sometimes more than once in a sentence! Using "um" as filler would have been a huge improvement.

I think listening to that cemented my plan to have my kids join Toastmasters as teens (or an equivalent group). I've never taken public speaking myself, but I can't let them graduate sounding like that. I could hardly focus on his content because I was, you know, so distracted by his, you know, filler, you know?

Don't forget "you know." One of the teens spoke at church Sunday. He started out by saying he doesn't like to use notes and prefers to just wing it. He should have stuck with notes. In about seven minutes of speaking, he must have said "you know" at least fifty times, sometimes more than once in a sentence! Using "um" as filler would have been a huge improvement.

I think listening to that cemented my plan to have my kids join Toastmasters as teens (or an equivalent group). I've never taken public speaking myself, but I can't let them graduate sounding like that. I could hardly focus on his content because I was, you know, so distracted by his, you know, filler, you know?

I know a person like this. When I hear him talk I just start counting.

While "my bad" and "git er done" make me cringe, regional sayings don't bother me. I find them interesting. I'm geeky like that though. :D Accents are also interesting to me.

Wait...wait..it's all *due* respect!!!

Sorry, had to fix that, lol.

Thank you. I wanted to fix it too. :)

Oh, i guess those are both just words, not phrases. So...

Using verbs incorrectly. For example, "The dishes need done." Or "The car needs washed." No, they don't. The dishes need to be done and the car needs to be washed.

We should be friends! To be honest though, I'm more of an O'Neill kind of girl than Mitchell. Sweet! :)

I hate when people say "up" as in "I up and decided to...." Ack! How do you up??????

"Fixing to," as is "I'm fixing to make a phone call. No, you're about to make a phone call! You can't 'fix' to do something.

When people use "could pay less" I want to smack them and tell them I "couldn't care less" if it hurt.

Why do people in the south say "I'm going to carry Mama to the doctor's'? I've been away from Atlanta for 20 years and I can STILL hear that in my head. You're going to take your mom, or drive your mom, or go with your mom to her appointment. But I really doubt you're going to carry her. We moved to Atlanta when I was 7 and I felt like I'd been dropped into a foreign land- I had NO idea why they used all these goofy phrases. But I kind of miss those charming phrases.

Why do people in the south say "I'm going to carry Mama to the doctor's'?

My step-dad, who has a very "old southern" accent, says that all the time. It used to make me cringe, but now I'm used to. I don't say it, and it bothers me if I hear someone else say it, but in my step-dad, it's just one of his endearing little quirks.

In defense of ''I could care less' -- it's not like 'I couldn't care less' is literally true either. It's a cheeky idiom similar to 'fall head over heels'.

My pet peeve cliche phrase is 'I'm a voracious reader'. Partly because you never ever hear the word voracious in any other context (you'd think well read people could be more original). Partly because It always sounds like bragging about a hobby to me. People say I enjoy cooking, or I crochet for fun, not I am a fabulous cook or I am a high volume yet high quality crocheter.

Why do people in the south say "I'm going to carry Mama to the doctor's'? I've been away from Atlanta for 20 years and I can STILL hear that in my head. You're going to take your mom, or drive your mom, or go with your mom to her appointment. But I really doubt you're going to carry her. We moved to Atlanta when I was 7 and I felt like I'd been dropped into a foreign land- I had NO idea why they used all these goofy phrases. But I kind of miss those charming phrases.

That particular one makes me kind of twitch, as well, lol. I think I must be a word snob or something...'nuff said!

"Bottom line" is overused. How many bottom lines can one story have?

Maybe there's a Bottom Bottom Line? Much like a station wagon with the Back and the Wayback? Waybottom?

"I know, right?"

"Meh" especially when used in a post.

Oh, I love Meh! It's just so...evocative. If somebody asks how I liked a book, I'm probably thinking something like, "The protagonist was interesting in her ambivalence toward marriage, and the narrative moved along nicely. The plot itself, though, was both predictable and farfetched, and the outcome was inescapable. I enjoyed the Cape Cod setting, but the near-constant name dropping got really tiresome. It wasn't a waste of time, but I'm also not going to put this on my To Read Again Someday shelf." But since nobody wants that much detail, I can sum it up pretty tidily with, "Meh."

Of course, such a flippant answer has to be used judiciously (and sparingly). But on the whole, I stand behind Meh. :)