Menu

Christian Homeschoolers - please share

TXMary2

If you are a christian homeschooler, can you please share your reasons as a christian, why you homeschool. If there are bible verses you believe back up your reasons, please share and explain.

I am asking because we are attending a new church where there is only a small number of homeschoolers, and the pastor is decidedly anti-homeschool. We are not members at this church, but will be attending regularly for an unspecified time and I know at some point there is going to be an opportunity for me to defend why I homeschool. I know why my family homeschools and I can give biblical reasons, but I am curious what others say about this.

Just FYI- the pastor is big on the kids being "salt and light" in the public school - which I couldn't disagree with more.

I am a Christian who does not homeschool for spiritual reasons. I began homeschooling due to one child's anxiety/learning issues.

My advice is to not prepare a defense but rather a deflection. Clearly, one size doesn't fit all with education. You can just state that you are doing what you feel is best. In the Christian community, it can also be effective to state that you feel God has called you to homeschool for this season, if that will comfortably roll off your tongue. When I encounter people with passionate arguments about how "everyone should be doing it this way", I just say, "This is what is working for our family/kids at this time." I don't engage in arguments because that is a useless endeavor. If someone persists in their argument, say, "What an interesting perspective. You've certainly given me something to think about." and leave it at that. There are harsher ways to respond, but I would not do this with a church community with whom you need to have ongoing relationships. If it becomes truly uncomfortable or you feel harassed due to homeschooling, I would march on out, no matter what my reasons for marching in, but that is my advice given that I am unfamiliar with your specific situation. Good luck!

That is odd that he is so adamantly opposed. What denomination is it, just out of curiosity? We are a Christian family who homeschools, although we don't do it necessarily because the Bible tells us so. I think you could find "proof" for either side in the Bible! We simply do it because we really enjoy it, and we feel that it gives us a better chance of teaching our children what we believe is most important, so that someday they WILL be able to be salt and light. But you know what? I would homeschool even if we WEREN'T Christians, because there are so many dumb ideas that society has nowadays that I don't think are healthy or wise. My children will have the rest of their lives to deal with all of that, but if I can help them see a different way now, when they are young and impressionable, and help them realize there are different ways of doing things and interpreting the world around them, then I want to do it.

I don't think you should feel that you have to defend your beliefs. People will believe what they want. You know what's best for your family.

My kids have attended Christian school, public school, and homeschool. Next year, I will have one at home and one in Public.

The verses that resonate with me about my girls education and upbringing come from Deuteronomy 11: 18-21

" You shall therefore lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul, and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall teach them to your children, talking of them when your are sitting in your house, and when you are walking by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates, that your days and the days of your children may be multiplied in the land the Lord swore to your fathers to give them, as long as the heavens are above the earth." ESV

In a nutshell, these verses are referring to keeping the commandments and following the leading of the Lord. We are to teach our children the ways of God, his majesty, his miracles, his creation, his design for our lives. Public school will not teach Creation, God's sovereignty, God's plan and purpose. I can teach these things in our home through modeling, discussion, and with the help of Christian curriculum. My older dd will attend PS for a variety of reasons, but she has had a very strong foundation in Biblical truths to be equipped to be "salt and light." I don't believe we can put that kind of burden on young children before they have the teaching and understanding. My 2 cents.

The verses in Dueteronomy are what immediately came to my mind as well. I have found that after homeschooling for awhile, my kids are less defensive of what they believe and more confident. It makes them strong, non-pushy leaders and not so much followers. They don't feel a need to hide their beliefs or to bang anyone over the head with them. That's what I want to see for my kids.

You don't owe him any explanation. Please don't let yourself feel that. I agree with the deflection idea. Alternately, you could ask if he's seen that work well in the lives of his children and the children of the church (don't ask in a snarky way). If he shares happy experiences just nod and smile and say how awesome it is that God has called us to so many paths. He prepares us all differently with a unique purpose in mind.

But, as a pastor's wife,I say freely, you do not have to defend God's call on your life.

This probably won't help you at all. This article explains how I feel about homeschooling from a religious stand point.

From the article

No wonder, Pope John Paul II, in the same document makes the historic statement, which I quote verbatim:

Ă¢â‚¬Å“In places where widespread unbelief or invasive secularism makes real religious growth practically impossible, Ă¢â‚¬Ëœthe church of the homeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ remains the one place where children and young people can receive an authentic catechesis. Thus there cannot be too great an effort on the part of Christian parents to prepare for this ministry of being their own childrenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s catechists and to carry it out with tireless zealĂ¢â‚¬ (68).

Words could not be plainer, nor the ChurchĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s authorization of home schooling more supportive.

I'd be more curious as to why he is so opposed? Jesus didn't begin his ministry until he was a grown man. It amazes me that people want children to be light and salt before or during the time they are building their foundation.

Exactly. This has always been something that bugged me. Children are working on forming their own conscience and faith formation. It shouldn't be up to them to bring people to the church.

I'd be more curious as to why he is so opposed? Jesus didn't begin his ministry until he was a grown man. It amazes me that people want children to be light and salt before or during the time they are building their foundation.

:iagree:

This probably won't help you at all. This article explains how I feel about homeschooling from a religious stand point.

From the article

Love that!

You don't owe him any explanation.

I also agree with this. Why is it any of his business how you are educating your children? You shouldn't have to defend anything you do that isn't morally wrong. Unless he causes a scene by not accepting the bowl of bean dip, just tell him that you and your dh have made the best decision for your family as it is properly your job and no one elses.

Jesus said to let the children come to him. Not to send the children out to the streets to preach. He left that to the grown ups.

I think it is fine to offer up verses as to why you are following a certain path for your family, as in I feel led and thus am obeying that leading. But if you start throwing out verses that make it appear that homeschooling is the only option, then you begin stepping on toes. I wouldn't want to start down that path with someone at church. KWIM?

Besides, what happens when you throw out a verse and the other person throws out another. Are you really prepared to defend your entire belief system verse by verse? Because otherwise, it will appear that you are cherry picking verses to suit your needs. Yes, Jesus entered his ministry late, Samuel began his service early. David, Esther, Mary... But then again Paul began his ministry as an adult, Timothy learned as a child to begin an adult ministry...

Even though I may believe a certain verse supports my decision to homeschool, I don't necessarily believe homeschooling is the only way to comply with that verse. Even if I did believe that, it wouldn't be my place to tell others. I'd stick with "We feel strongly led to do this."

For your own purposes I'd look to:

1 Corinthians 12 , Hebrews 12:1, Psalm 139

These all emphasize that God's purpose and plans for us are individual ones.

Be supportive of those who have chosen to enter their children into the public system, ignore teachings that don't conform to your Spirit-led beliefs, and pray for all. :grouphug:

We are Christians; we are homeschoolers. We homeschool not because God said, "homeschool", but because he gave us charge of these three precious children of His and homeschooling best serves their needs.

I really do not like cherry picking verses to support or condemn, and especially do not like when people within the church try to justify decisions by spiritualizing them.

If I were you I would find a very nice "pass the bean dip" phrase and repeat it until they get the message. Okay, I would repeat it once and then I would remove myself lest I loose control of my temper and give a piece of my mind I may need later.

I am a Christian who does not homeschool for spiritual reasons. I began homeschooling due to one child's anxiety/learning issues.

My advice is to not prepare a defense but rather a deflection. Clearly, one size doesn't fit all with education. You can just state that you are doing what you feel is best. In the Christian community, it can also be effective to state that you feel God has called you to homeschool for this season, if that will comfortably roll off your tongue. When I encounter people with passionate arguments about how "everyone should be doing it this way", I just say, "This is what is working for our family/kids at this time." I don't engage in arguments because that is a useless endeavor. If someone persists in their argument, say, "What an interesting perspective. You've certainly given me something to think about." and leave it at that. There are harsher ways to respond, but I would not do this with a church community with whom you need to have ongoing relationships. If it becomes truly uncomfortable or you feel harassed due to homeschooling, I would march on out, no matter what my reasons for marching in, but that is my advice given that I am unfamiliar with your specific situation. Good luck!

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Just FYI- the pastor is big on the kids being "salt and light" in the public school - which I couldn't disagree with more.

This is the biggest lie that Christians parents, homeschooling or not, believe.

Here's a response from a friend on another forum long ago:

Our children in schools are not missionaries but are the mission field themselves. ALL children in the school are the mission field. The battle for their minds and hearts is fought daily. Influences from teachers to textbooks to media purposefully impact ALL the children, usually not for the furtherance of Christianity. If folly is bound up in the heart of a child (as the Bible says it is, Prov. 22:15) how can we expect him/her to not only withstand this impact but proactively influence others? How can we teach our children as we walk by the way, when we rise, etc. (as the Bible says we should, Deut. 6:4-7) when they are away from us for most of the day? In other words, how can we expect to equip our folly-filled children to fight this battle wisely when the bulk of their time is spent being trained in the enemy camp?

Are our children really supposed to sway the minds of teachers and students alike with their immature powers of persuasion and articulation? Or more likely will bad company corrupt good character (1 Cor. 15:33)? We need to train our soldiers before we send them off to battle. As Paul writes in 1 Cor. 13:11 "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me." Young children are not equipped to proselytize in the school setting. (Goodness, some teachers (incorrectly) don't even think you are allowed to have a Bible in class!)

Okay, I guess you know where I stand!:)

by the way, I once listened to a Greg Harris tape once responding to this very issue. He recommended practicing hospitality as a means of approaching the schools as a mission field.

Thanks for all the great responses. To answer a few questions - it is a Baptist church. We have only recently started attending - we haven't had a "home church" in years. We attend a weekly bible study with friends that all used to attend another church we went to. I miss the music worship aspect and my youngest son enjoys going to "children's church" - so for now it is a place to go.

I so agree with Texasmama, especially the part about not engaging in arguments because it is useless!

a great book -- look at your lib or ask them to request it ILL -- http://www.amazon.com/Home-Schooling-Historical-Practical-Perspective/dp/0805425853/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367189795&sr=8-1&keywords=home+schooling+the+right+choice .......he debunks the "salt and light argument" as well as builds a very Bibical reason why parents should personally educate their children. It is an older book, but it is good

Home Schooling: The Right Choice: An Academic, Historical, Practical, and Legal Perspective

Christopher J. Klicka

This is none of his business. You say you feel it's best for your family. Period. The salt and light thing? I second Ellie. Further, my oldest son is 10, he's not even professed faith yet, how is he supposed to witness to others when he himself is not even saved yet??!! This drives me nuts! My dd professed faith at age seven, 1.5 years ago. Spiritually, she's still a baby, and I am to expect her to get out there and preach to the masses? Ugh. Besides, most schools these days aren't exactly open to kids bringing a bible to school and holding preaching meetings, kwim? You can still be salt and light if you're not in school. I'm a stay at home mom, you could say this really limits my potential contact with other people, my dh works outside the home and definitely comes into contact with more people on the average day than I do. Does that mean I'm not being salt and light? Should I go out and get a job in order to have more people to preach to? People really don't think this stuff through, I think. It all comes back to the stereotype that hs kids don't have any friends, don't get out in the world at all and therefore can't be witnessing. Maybe God wants them to be salt and light to a different group of people? Perhaps the librarian, or the waitress at the cafe the hs family frequents during school hours, or the elderly lady my son helped carry her groceries to her car when all the other kids were in school, maybe the weary searching single mom to be was uplifted when she overheard my 4 year old singing 'Jesus Loves Me' at the grocery store while most of my friends kids went off to ps kindy this year, or how about the times we volunteered during school hours at the food bank? Those were opportunities as well, just with a different sphere of people. Hs kids still have neighbors they play with and have friends outside their homes, they can still show Christ to others. People just have narrow minds, but when it comes right down to it, if you aren't being immoral or abusive, it's really not your pastor's business to tell you how you raise and educate your kids. I know plenty of pastors who hs their kids, btw.

I am a Christian. I do not homeschool specifically for religious reasons.

Frankly, I would "pass the bean dip" with the pastor as much as possible. The salt and light argument is so flimsy that it smacks of someone who wants to prove that the way he has chosen to do something is the only biblical way. If he pressures you, I would reply that ps is one area where one could be salt and light, but there are many other options for fulfilling this directive. Where else must everyone be salt and light? Should everyone go to college? Get a job? Get the same job? Why is it ok for adults to be salt and light in many different ways, but children are confined to ps? One of the beauties of God's people is that they are such a diverse group. Forcing everyone to minister in the same way limits the influence of the very kingdom the pastor seeks to expand.

We are a Christian family and besides us wanting to teach according to our faith (creation, Bible, prayer, etc is all welcome here) the rest of our reasons aren't really because of our religion. I mean, we want to teach morals, virtues and other things that one could argue isn't exclusive to religion.

The main "Christian reason" I have to homeschool is simple.... The Lord called us.

I'd probably respond that it is what God has led me to do. If that doesn't satisfy him I wouldn't stick around, but if I did I might point out that he is in Texas. If he firmly believes in the salt and light issue, there are lots of places he could live in the 10/40 window where a good percentage of people haven't even heard of Jesus once. Texas is full of Christians.

I am not a Christian anymore (or a homeschooler anymore), but I was once both; for many years.

I would not attend or stay at a church with a Pastor who held this belief.

Just on the basis of childhood development and faith development or spiritual formation alone, the "salt and light" idea is a bad one.

:iagree:

I used to attend a women's Bible study group that had a lot of homeschoolers. I used to feel so guilty when they would get to talking about how it was God calling us to home educate, because that in no way was why we are homeschooling. I have never felt "the call" to homeschool. It was a choice my husband and I made, even before we got married. I flat out told him that when we had kids, I was homeschooling them, and if he wasn't ok with that, I wasn't the girl for him. :lol:

I choose to homeschool mostly based on my youngest brother's and my public school experiences. Lots of baggage there, I'm afraid, and I want to keep my dc from that, if possible. Plus, I don't want to have to constantly fight against a world view that my dc aren't ready to understand (which is really just an extension of the previous statement). I want to provide them with a good grounding in Scripture and give them the opportunity to cultivate a relationship with their Creator.

I am a Christian. I homeschool my kids because my husband feels its best. We tried private school when they were really young and they couldn't explain to me why my son got a C on a phonics test, after lots of discussion and asking general questions like did a lot of kids get C, is this more of a pre-test, etc, and thinking that K was really young to be testing all the time. I pulled them out. We were lucky that we paid per month and they didn't hold us for the rest of the year. We had previous homeschooled with a co-op but I had taken on a part-time job that included housing so we felt it was a good move at the time. I quit the job, my husband's business took off and we got a house. I always thought we would put them back in private school but now they love homeschooling and the cost of private schools in our area is $10k+ a year some as high as $20K so for 3 kids it doesn't make sense plus they would be heart-broken. My husband has used some scripture when sharing why he believes in the parent schooling children at home. Deut. 6-9 Especially verse 7..

I am not sure why you are going to the "new" church, but I wouldn't subject my myself or kids to a pastor that was anti-homeschool. There are several churches in our area that promotes public school as a mission field as you described in your post, while some people view it that way, we don't and we have stayed away from churches that have leadership that is anti- our way of schooling. It really comes into play with kids activities and Youth Group (not sure if your church has that) but the one we went to for a long time had special activities just for public school kids and pvt/homeschool were not allowed to participate. It really turned us off and we since have left (quietly). Just an idea.

I am not a Christian anymore (or a homeschooler anymore), but I was once both; for many years.

I would not attend or stay at a church with a Pastor who held this belief.

Just on the basis of childhood development and faith development or spiritual formation alone, the "salt and light" idea is a bad one.

ITA.

A pastor who holds the opinion that going to school is a possible way for some students who are Christians to be salt and light...OK. I mean, I disagree, because I think children go to school to get an education (novel, I know), not to proselytize or be preached at by their peers or teachers, but it's a reasonable line of thought and pretty pervasive among churchgoers today.

A pastor who holds the opinion that all children of all Christians are to be sent to school as missionaries....not OK. Such an opinion demonstrates his immaturity as a teacher, himself, and a lack of Bible knowledge. The former because anyone who does work as a missionary knows it's not a job for children or for unprepared persons, and the latter because there's no scriptural foundation for it at all.

Also, the whole thing fails on the common sense front. Why is it assumed that all children of all Christians understand and share their parents' beliefs and really, really, really want to rush to school and preach to their peers? Statistics show that the vast majority of children being raised in church-going families have rejected their parents' faith by middle school. According to that fact, the children sitting in churches on Sunday mornings are the mission field. They're not the preachers.

Anybody ought to be able to see that, but especially a man whose life work is to understand the gospel, the church, and the community.

I am a Christian and I didn't begin homeschooling for Biblical reasons but I agree with the fact that I am training my kids before sending them into the mission field.

Our "mission field" right now is the homeschooling community. Obviously not all homeschoolers are Christian. Because I homeschool I am able to take my kids with me to the ministry I run at church where we store clothes, household items, baby items, etc for the needy in the community. We are out and about in the community during the day while the other kids are in school. Many opportunities to be a "light."

I homeschool because this is where God has led us. I believe that God leads some families to public schools and some to private schools. I don't really have a solid answer for why He has led us to homeschooling because I am quite certain there are more solid educational choices we could have gone with - in particular several excellent Christian Classical schools in our area whose leaders and teachers we know well who have particular gifts in discipling their students. But we will continue hsing unless and until God leads us elsewhere.

christian homeschooler here. in my previous church, i was the only homeschooler there. i was never made to feel uncomfortable for my choice, nor did i ever make anyone uncomfortable for their choice. it is a private decision on how families opt to educate their children, whether that be through public school, charter, private, university model, virtual PS, homeschooling, etc.

we do not homeschool for religious reasons, although we did pray about our decision & i do use christian publishers. i think your pastor is totally out of line to say homeschooling is wrong for christians, and likewise, i think to say all christians are obliged to homeschool is untrue (my daughter will enroll in middle school next year & we are at peace with this).

imho, it is really none of his business to challenge you in this area, especially considering this is a new church that you are attending. there is no established relationship or history between your family and his pastoral role in your life to even be questioning you about this. totally inappropriate imo. i think this pastor needs to be reminded that there is a vast difference between doctrine & opinion, and to not distinguish between the two often causes more division than good.

Our family has chosen homeschooling for educational, not spiritual, reasons. However, Rob Rienow of Visionary Family Ministries has a very well-done audio message called Exploring Educational Choices for the Christian Family that you can listen to free. He is not dogmatic and provides a lot of thought-provoking information on both sides of the issue. His family does homeschool and he quotes scriptures to support their reasoning, but he doesn't believe it's the only right choice. He also discusses the idea of viewing public school as the mission field of children. Again, he is not opposed to it, but he brings up very insightful aspects of this viewpoint that are overlooked (e.g., ensuring that children are adequately trained and prepared to be effective missionaries, providing respites and social support, etc as adult missionaries in the field are given). I highly recommend listening to what he has to say.

I would be cautious in how you reply. You can certainly prepare a fabulous, well-reasoned, scripture-supported defense. But the very act of defending your choices may give the questioner an implied authority over you when in fact this man has no place in your decision-making process. An appropriate response might be something along the lines of "we are doing what we feel is best for our children. We are not planning to change that decision or defend it. But if you want some resources for learning more about reasons for homeschooling, there is some great information out there and I'd be happy to point you in the right direction. Why don't you give me your email address?"

FTR, I do believe that pastors have the obligation to provide guidance to the families in their churches, which may include advising them regarding educational choices. However, I also think they are obligated to make an effort to be more knowledgeable about educational choices. I think that parents have an obligation to listen respectfully to their pastors, whom God has placed over them as shepherds, but i do NOT think they must obey a pastor who has the temerity to tell them they shouldn't homeschool.

That seems crazy to me, our former church also baptist. The pastor spoke very highly of homeschooling moms and we had a good amount of them. The church even had its own school, yet the pastor had tons of events, graduation, sports teams, banquets etc. just for us!

I don't think it's really a concern of the pastors how the children of the church are educated. I would just say what is in your heart.

I don't think you have to defend your position whatever reasons you have. For us the Bible and certain verses are what reaffirm our decision to homeschool. Yes, I've heard the salt and light argument as well. I just shake my head. Proverbs can handle that argument for you, alone. I did want our faith to be the foremost thing in our educational process though, especially with my younger children, building that foundation. I also sought it out as a way to grow closer together as a family and participate in family ministry together. Our faith is a HUGE reason we homeschool, but I also want to give my kids a good education, which is why I love the Classical model.

Here is a passage that helped us to reaffirm "our" reasons to homeschool :

Psalm 1:1 and 2 actually all of Psalm 1, but these two verses were what snagged my attention the first time.

1 Blessed is the man[a]

who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,

nor stands in the way of sinners,

nor sits in the seat of scoffers;

2 but his delight is in the law[b] of the Lord,

and on his law he meditates day and night.

There are many Baptist churches with children's church and worship music that encourage homeschooling. I'd encourage you to find one, not so much for the home school stance as much as the fact that he will railroad people about decisions like that mean he will probably do the same thing about many other aspects of life - which indicates possible spiritual abuse and manipulation.

I want to shield my children even more from spiritual abuse than from the secular world. It's a lot easier to explain to small children that someone doesn't make decisions we agree with because they don't have the Lord than it is to suss out the many nuances of spiritual abuse. Recognizing abuse, especially spiritual abuse, is something to talk about when teenagers are preparing to leave home, but not when they are little.

That said, if you're married I'd leave defending or ignoring this up to your husband. Men who will railroad women have a funny way of acting with much more propriety towards men.