Menu

Explosion near Waco -- Prayers please....

Joker

Praying.

I got the feeling from the video footage shown on our nightly news {large city south of Waco}, that its pretty grim. I didn't see anywhere near the activity outside the triage center that I would have expected given the massive nature of the damage.

I fear there may be a lot of deaths, and not many wounded, which would account for the lack of activity.

My youngest was about 70 miles from the blast, at church. They felt and heard the blast and thought that it was an earthquake. I was driving and therefore missed it. It sounds just awful. You can imagine the damage caused by an explosion that could be heard and felt 70 miles away.

He's very sad tonight...a teen feeling overwhlemed by tragedy.

In the last two months, there have been two lockdown incidents on the community college campus he attends. The latest was a shooter, and classes were canceled in the afternoon. Ds was at home, heading out for class within the hour, and he received a text saying to turn off phones, lock yourselves in classrooms,and turn off lights, etc. A bit nervewracking to receive that kind of text!

I can say "what is the world coming to?" with some perspective, having lived through many episodes of Chicken Little. He's not so fortunate.

Last I heard on my local news was an initial estimate of 60-70 that may have perished, with 100s injured. The footage of the triage center being set up in the football field did look deserted, that's because they had to relocate it due to the proximity of dangerous fumes (maybe due to wind direction? not sure...).

A large swath of the town is said to be destroyed. Horrific.

It is horrible. None of the articles say, were people working at the plant at the time of the explosion? I am just wondering if that is where the majority of the deaths and injuries are coming from. :(

The articles are saying a nursing home which was nearby was engulfed and an apartment building has been devastated.

http://www.cnn.com/2...sion/index.html

If you scroll down on this page there's a youtube video of the explosion that is horrible but shows how massive it was.

http://blog.chron.co...town-near-waco/

People in the video survived, but it looks like nothing I've seen even on tv. If you scroll down farther, there's a picture that looks like a funnel cloud. I don't think anyone near the site could have survived but there's probably many people injured from the blast in the surrounding area. If it's a rural area, it could take a while to check in on everyone. Many prayers for Texas tonight.

I had the youtube link but took it out because I didn't want any unsuspecting kids to see. It's not gory or anything, but just shocking.

If you scroll down on this page there's a youtube video of the explosion that is horrible but shows how massive it was.

http://blog.chron.co...town-near-waco/

People in the video survived, but it looks like nothing I've seen even on tv. If you scroll down farther, there's a picture that looks like a funnel cloud. I don't think anyone near the site could have survived but there's probably many people injured from the blast in the surrounding area. If it's a rural area, it could take a while to check in on everyone. Many prayers for Texas tonight.

I had the youtube link but took it out because I didn't want any unsuspecting kids to see. It's not gory or anything, but just shocking.

Oh. my. goodness. Those poor people. So horrific. I had no idea how bad it was from reading. The video gives it a whole new level of horrible.

Thoughts to all affected!

My question though is why would anyone OK a fertilizer plant that close to a school and a nursing home? Aren't there zoning regulations that would prohibit this type of accident from impacting so many lives?

In a small country town like this - probably not.

Just wanted to add (since I posted the initial comment of the EMS director from the Texas tv station) that this morning the estimated number of deaths has been revised down to between five and ten. I am praying that number holds, or even falls again.

Yeah, there are too many conflicting reports right now to have a good idea. I've read that they think people may still be buried in the rubble. :( I had hoped to have some clearer reports this morning.

Thoughts to all affected!

My question though is why would anyone OK a fertilizer plant that close to a school and a nursing home? Aren't there zoning regulations that would prohibit this type of accident from impacting so many lives?

Linking to newspaper article:

http://dallasmorning...decisions.html/

We said the same thing last night - who thought it was okay to have such a plant near a school, nursing home and apartment building?

My best friend's brother and stepmom lived 3 blocks from the plant. The only thing that saved their lives is that they were outside watching the fire when the explosion happened. Their home was flattened. If they had been inside, they would have died. It is absolutely horrific.

I don't know the history or the area, but it is possible that the plant was there before the other stuff around it was built. Having lived in Hampton Roads we always heard complaints about Jet noise, the thing is, the airstrip was there long before the housing developments were put in.

My youngest was about 70 miles from the blast, at church. They felt and heard the blast and thought that it was an earthquake. I was driving and therefore missed it. It sounds just awful. You can imagine the damage caused by an explosion that could be heard and felt 70 miles away.

He's very sad tonight...a teen feeling overwhlemed by tragedy.

In the last two months, there have been two lockdown incidents on the community college campus he attends. The latest was a shooter, and classes were canceled in the afternoon. Ds was at home, heading out for class within the hour, and he received a text saying to turn off phones, lock yourselves in classrooms,and turn off lights, etc. A bit nervewracking to receive that kind of text!

I can say "what is the world coming to?" with some perspective, having lived through many episodes of Chicken Little. He's not so fortunate.

TCC? I have a friend who teaches there and was on lockdown. We are about 50 miles north of West. We didn't feel the blast, but I think we would have if we had been outside.