Menu

Organic is it worth it?

Quiver0f10

I am trying to feed my family healthier and would love to do all organic, but there is no way we could afford it. My aim is real food, which is what we pretty much do already, but we have been slowly adding in junk which is gone as of today. I do buy eggs from a friends farm and organic apples/oranges, grains and bulk items through Azure, but that is about it. Is it really worth it to buy more organic items? Ideally I'd love to do more fruits and veggies but if I try to do organic there is no way that is going to happen. Same with milk and chicken. How do I find balance?

Everyone finds their own balance.

For me it is definitely organic: milk, eggs, 'everyday' meats, flour, sugar

Some organic: dairy products, fruits, veggies, grain-based items, things that have HFCS in their 'regular' form

Not organic: splurge meats (roasts, steaks, bacon), seafood (I do get ocean-friendly), cheese, most things 'off the shelf'

Everyone finds their own balance.

For me it is definitely organic: milk, eggs, 'everyday' meats, flour, sugar

Some organic: dairy products, fruits, veggies, grain-based items, things that have HFCS in their 'regular' form

Not organic: splurge meats (roasts, steaks, bacon), seafood (I do get ocean-friendly), cheese, most things 'off the shelf'

Funny, this is exactly the balance I have found, too -- except I buy regular milk.

I think it is worth it. because I wouldn't knowingly stand in the middle of a field while they sprayed pesticides/chemicals. I wouldn't pick a fruit/vegetable from a plant in a field if I stood there and watched them spray chemicals on it. So to buy it in the store, just because I didn't see the action, doesn't mean it's still not covered in chemicals that are harmful.

If my child came down with childhood cancer, I personally would always ask myself if it was because of the food that I fed them. ********PLEASE do not take offense if you have a child or know a child that has cancer, I am NOT accusing you of causing that cancer....only telling you how MY MIND would assume my own guilt.***

The cancer rates rise in America. Europe has banned many many products that are deemed carncinogens that our governments lets slide on by. I personally believe that cancers are caused by the chemicals we put in our body. That's not a marketing campaign, that's just logical.

All that being said, I have to live in the real world, and abide by a grocery budget. The thing that I go organic with always are the fruits that we eat the skin, ie strawberries, peaches, plums, grapes,apples, etc. We don't do organic for bananas.....50/50 for oranges depending on the price. I always go organic, raw actually, for milk. Veggies are same thought as fruits...if we eat the skin, it's organic. Eggs are from a local farm.

Meat depends on what is on sale and how I am using it. Really prefer organic chicken if I can. Never organic steaks as can't afford that price. Ground beef usually organic.

I cook alot of "real food", ie not from a box, and most of my shelf staples, ie flours, spice, pastas, etc are not organic. Butter is not organic, but it is REAL butter. Cheeses are not usually organic. I don't buy anything that has High Fruc Corn Syrup and try to avoid food dyes. We do eat frozen pizza here and there, so we are not as "pure" as I would prefer. We do the best we can with our budget.

So I just have a list in my mind of what I think is a priority, and what I can or have to let slide.

We grow organic veggies. We try to buy organic veggies from the store. We buy from the farmer's market that is not certified organic, but is grown without chemicals. We don't eat much meat so that isn't much a factor to us. We buy organic eggs and milk, but we don't eat that much. Because of the way we eat, it doesn't raise the cost that much. We aren't perfect. Is it worth it? Who knows.

I think it is worth it. because I wouldn't knowingly stand in the middle of a field while they sprayed pesticides/chemicals. I wouldn't pick a fruit/vegetable from a plant in a field if I stood there and watched them spray chemicals on it. So to buy it in the store, just because I didn't see the action, doesn't mean it's still not covered in chemicals that are harmful.

If my child came down with childhood cancer, I personally would always ask myself if it was because of the food that I fed them. ********PLEASE do not take offense if you have a child or know a child that has cancer, I am NOT accusing you of causing that cancer....only telling you how MY MIND would assume my own guilt.***

The cancer rates rise in America. Europe has banned many many products that are deemed carncinogens that our governments lets slide on by. I personally believe that cancers are caused by the chemicals we put in our body. That's not a marketing campaign, that's just logical.

I agree.

I have lost three loved ones to aggressive forms of cancer. Two were farmers in an area where aerial spraying was the norm. One always gardened barefoot, even while applying chemicals on his lawn.

I personally don't care to support conventional farming, having been born and raised in a rural farming community.

We already ate organically wherever possible but, since our child was diagnosed with neurological issues, we are trying even harder to keep his diet as clean as possible. Like PP said in above quote, we do question if we could have, should have done more earlier. Just one of those nagging thoughts a parent has...

We are a smaller family, but I have not noticed a major increase in our food bill. I buy in bulk, keep a tight menu, cook from scratch, support local/organic farmers. We have a good health food store with great organic store brands, which are often cheaper than brand name products at regular grocery stores.

This is where I draw the line: food on the table trumps everything.

If you can afford to put the cheapest food on the table and still have room in your budget, then take the next step: real food.

If you can afford to put real food on the table and still have room in your budget, then start looking for the next step. For me, that's pastured/grassfed/free-range meat, eggs, and dairy. I don't necessarily buy organic meat or eggs from the grocery store; if I can buy local and clean, that's better, IMO, even if it's not strictly organic. If I can buy hormone-free dairy products, I'll do that. I prioritize pastured/clean butter over other things, because toxins are stored in fat, and we eat butter every day.

If you can afford that, then organic on the produce. Sometimes I swap those last two; sometimes organic produce is only a slight increase over conventional, but pastured meat is astronomical and therefore out of the budget. I do what I can.

But if your choice is organic, but less food overall, and hungry tummies vs. no organic but plenty of food (especially if you're already doing a lot of unprocessed real foods), I'd go for the latter.

I focus on the Dirty Dozen, too, when it comes to fruits and veggies. They give you (and the people participating in the growing of those items) the most bang for the buck in terms of protection from nasty chemicals.

The Clean Fifteen are fifteen fruits and vegetables that ok to buy conventional, too, so that's some more information that can ease your mind.

I focus on the Dirty Dozen, too, when it comes to fruits and veggies. They give you (and the people participating in the growing of those items) the most bang for the buck in terms of protection from nasty chemicals.

The Clean Fifteen are fifteen fruits and vegetables that ok to buy conventional, too, so that's some more information that can ease your mind.

This is what I try to strive for, most of the time... if practical. Sometimes I just skip a food as it's either more than I think it's worth or I can find an easier alternative.

I would try to do my best with the dirty dozen and organic milk.

The Dirty Dozen are 12 vegetables and fruits that receive the highest chemical intervention in conventional farming:

1. Apples
  2. Celery
  3. Sweet bell peppers
  4. Peaches
  5. Strawberries
  6. Nectarines
  7. Grapes
  8. Spinach
  9. Lettuce
  10. Cucumber
  11. Blueberries
  12. Potatoes

In the US, you can use a disgusting array of hormones and antibiotics and there is little to no limitation on that milk going into the milk supply. (Here, it is very different and organic milk isn't popular because you can't use the hormone junk and any milk where the cow has had antibiotics has to be separately handled and isn't allowed for sale).

Here is an article about the chemical cocktail in US milk. I wouldn't give that to my kid. Just say no. If you can't afford organic milk, I'd seriously think about eliminating it as a beverage and using it only for cooking. Then you COULD afford organic because you'd be using only a small fraction of regular milk anyway.

If there was still some wiggle room in the budget, then I'd try to get organic meats.

That all said, "organic" does not define "healthy." It is entirely possible to eat a very healthy diet with no organic products whatsoever. You would just need to be very aware of not only the food value of what you eat, but the potential chemical implications, and adjust accordingly. The Clean 15 are 15 vegetables and fruits that receive little to no chemical application in conventional farming.

1. Onions
  2. Sweet corn
  3. Pineapples
  4. Avocado
  5. Cabbage
  6. Sweet peas
  7. Asparagus
  8. Mangoes
  9. Eggplant
  10. Kiwi
  11. Cantaloupe (domestic)
  12. Sweet potatoes
  13. Grapefruit
  14. Watermelon
  15. Mushrooms

For organic things it pays to shop around. Unfortunately, organics and chemical-free products are still considered "luxury" items, and are marked up to a premium accordingly by the "regular" stores.

For "off the shelf" things (like tea or coconut oil) I've found that I can order these things online for half the price of what they are sold for at Whole Foods or a regular grocery store.

For fruits and veggies I found a local "produce market" that sells a small selection of organics for the same or less than the conventional at the main grocery stores. It's weird to shop there, as I don't speak a word of Spanish, but it offers us good food at a price we can afford, so there's that.

One thing that does help the budget is to buy organic vegetables frozen. Whole Foods has a good selection at a good price, especially if you hit a sale and stock up.

My answer is a big no. I do not believe it's worth it and IMHO it borders on a marketing scam. What matters is eating a lot of nutrient dense foods, whether they're organic or not.

My feeling is the same. However, when I raise my own food, I do avoid chemical pesticides.

I think it is absolutely worth it. I buy 85-90% organic. It kind of makes me sick now to think I am eating something laden with pesticides.

The big thing for me (besides three people in my immediate family having rare, weird and different forms of cancer) was the statistic that if you eat only organic, 100% organic, for two weeks, you will reduce the pesticide levels in your blood by 50%. Pesticide levels in your blood. Pesticide in your bloodstream can NOT be doing anything good for your body! And eating clean food for two weeks only reduces it 50%? Yuck.

My answer is a big no. I do not believe it's worth it and IMHO it borders on a marketing scam. What matters is eating a lot of nutrient dense foods, whether they're organic or not.

I agree and disagree.

I can somewhat agree that it borders on a marketing scam. It is not true that it costs more to produce organic foods. On paper, it costs less. However, organic produce doesn't have the shelf life of conventional produce, so if it isn't handled and moved quickly, you lose a lot of product. That is part of the reason for the higher costs = higher loss rate. Another part of the cost equation is supply and demand, of course. You have far fewer organic producers, but a rising demand. So, all along the line of supply they can command a premium price. Yet, many people who are faithful to organic products may not know that while "organic" is strictly regulated in a few countries, in most countries it is not. In most countries, "organic" is not even clearly defined, yet when "organic" produce is imported, most countries (including the US) allow the originating country's organic declaration to stand. So, in a sense it can be a scam, as "organic" does not equal "organic" across the board.

I disagree, however, that eating a lot of nutrient dense foods is what matters. Yes, one should strive to eat a variety of nutrient dense foods, but with some of those foods, you are also ingesting a chemical soup that you can neither see, nor taste (for the most part), but which your body will still have to process or retain if it cannot process it.

It is up to the individual to decide whether or not they want to take the risks associated with those chemicals, and I'm certainly not going to argue anyone's right to eat what they choose to eat, but I think it is misleading to say "just eat nutrient dense foods," when the basic facts of science will show you that it does matter which of those foods you choose vis-ĂƒÂ -vis what "extras" you may ingest with them.

I think that food education can be helpful to others in making that choice, which is what I understood the OP was reaching out for here. But again, as I said... I'm not going to argue anyone's right to eat what they choose to eat. I believe we all try to do the best we can.

Everybody should buy and eat what they like. But just because you can not see the immediate result from eating organic food, it does not make it a marketing scam. The rising rates of allergies, cancer, neurological problems at birth, birth defects, obesity, early puberty etc in children have all been linked to chemicals (pesticides, hormones etc) in our food chain (I am equally wary of genetically modified foods). Just because there are only trace amounts of certain chemicals in a food product (that was put there in the first place to kill a living organism on contact - pests - or an artificial hormone put into a cow to make it lactate longer) it does not make it alright to feed my family with it. I always wonder how long it takes for these trace chemicals to accumulate to a toxic level in one's body (a few years?). I was also told that kids below 5 years old should be fed organic food if possible, because their bodies are so little that even trace amounts of the toxic pesticides would be a large dosage and very harmful for them.

I cut my budget in all the other stuff that I shop for, but stick to organic whenever possible for most things (especially for the "Dirty dozen" mentioned in a PP).

We raise our own chickens for eggs and have a garden so grow our own produce....all organic. We freeze and can produce for winter. I do not go out of my way to purchase organic otherwise. I do not purchase many prepared foods...we make food from scratch and freeze for easy meals.

Our budget is very tight. I value large amounts of F&V more than fewer choices that are all organic. If organic is comparably priced I'll go for it but that doesn't happen too often. The things I grow are pesticide free. Our beef is organic and grass fed because it is available locally. The turkey slices dh insists on for lunches are not. It's all trade offs. I still think the conventional veg are better than boxed mac&cheese.

We eat a lot of organic, local food in the warmer months, but in the winter much of the time it's just not possible. I was in the grocery store the other day, and the organic cauliflower heads were selling for eight bucks each. Not per pound. Each. And while the rest of the organic produce isn't quite that expensive, it's close. Even the organic milk is up to seven to eight dollars a gallon now, depending on the brand. I can't afford that all the time, so we get what we can afford.

I'd double check that Clean 15 list. I was told pineapples are very high in pesticides, and I had reactions lip-swelling, tightness of breath, etc. to conventional melons (both canteloupe and watermelon) when I was extremely chemically sensitive (MCS). I remember years ago reading a book like Food Safety Bible or some such thing that had similar lists. Brussel sprouts, asparagus, pomegranates, yes these things are low pesticide.

I agree it's more important to change *what* you eat. One of the most fascinating things you learn, when you get MCS, is that our bodies were built-in with the ability to detox. If you happen to be a christian, ponder that. You have bodies made for the Garden of Eden (totally organic!) that just HAPPEN to have the built-in ability to detox, through many complicated mechanisms, the onslaughts of chemicals they were going to receive 2-3,000 years later in modern America. I just don't believe that's by chance, and it's why I don't think we have to be freaky about it. Do what you can, but know that you were also made with protective measures in place.

And yes, I eat almost all organic now. I eat it because I don't want to go back to being sick. I'm a little more sensitive than the average bear. ;)

I'd double check that Clean 15 list. I was told pineapples are very high in pesticides, and I had reactions lip-swelling, tightness of breath, etc. to conventional melons (both canteloupe and watermelon) when I was extremely chemically sensitive (MCS). I remember years ago reading a book like Food Safety Bible or some such thing that had similar lists. Brussel sprouts, asparagus, pomegranates, yes these things are low pesticide.

I was going to mention that the Dirty Dozen and Clean Fifteen lists get updated sometimes as things change. Also, where the produce comes from matters in terms of what pesticides it has likely had applied, too. For instance, grapes from Chile (which is where most grapes seem to come from, when I'm looking) are sprayed with more and/or worse stuff than grapes from other places.

I don't know specificially about pineapple, though.

Honestly, we can't afford all organic; it's just too expensive. That said, I do try to as much as possible. Unfortunately, our growing season is short here (had more snow two days ago) and local stores, and markets don't sell a lot of organic stuff that isn't processed. The actual organic produce around here is super expensive and is usually not very fresh.

I think the best we can do to feed our families healthy food is to grow as much of it ourselves as we can, make as much homemade food as we can and expose ourselves to fewer chemical influences if/when we can. However - I am very price-sensitive. I buy, on average, 5 gallons of milk for my family per week. I am not willing to have a cow of our own at this time. I am also not willing to pay $6.00/gallon for organic milk. That would make the cost of milk alone for my family over $120 a month. Would I prefer to have milk from a local dairy, in a glass, returnable jug, with no added steroids, antibiotics, etc? Yes. Is it a practical option for me? No. Therefore, I accept the small risk represented by supermarket milk.

This is about to sound cynical, so brace yourself - ultimately, we are all going to die. I hope I and my family members live long, healthy lives. I certainly don't want cancer; this is why I don't smoke, drink alcohol rarely, protect myself from the sun, and eat as many fruits and vegetables as I can. But none of us can shield ourselves from all risk, and even the most natural-living, organic folks I know still die. Some still get cancer. Likewise, some people who live "trashy" lives don't get cancer and don't die early.

In short, I believe in raising my own food as organically as I can. I preserve my own food, I grow herbs out the back door, which I toss in my food all summer long. I'm doing everything that makes practical sense for me to do, but beyond that, I just have to decide that all I can do is all I can do.

Btw, some of the alternative milks (almond, soy, coconut) are better for you than cow milk and cheaper in organic. If you decide to go that way, get the vanilla (or chocolate, hehe) of whatever you try. Had a local friend try original (unflavored) coconut milk, and she thought it was NASTY. Vanilla in stuff is usually ok. Make pudding with the chocolate coconut, and it's actually quite fabulous.

It's so hard to know, isn't it? I once heard an interview on NPR by a scientist who was asked if he could pick just ONE food to always buy organic, what would it be, and he said spinach. We eat spinach all the time, and I do get it organic! I figure things that grow in the ground like potatoes and carrots, etc., are good to get organic too. Also, we get milk that is from cows with no hormones in their diet, and chicken with no hormones, too.

One option for people living where organic veggies are super expensive - to buy frozen organic veggies at a cheaper price (frozen organic spinach bag is $2). I understand how expensive vegetables are in the non-growing season for some parts of the country. I stockpile frozen organic spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, peas etc. The good thing is that you cannot tell the difference in stir fries and soups etc. And you can pull out as much as you like from the bag and store the rest away for another time.

We eat a lot of organic, local food in the warmer months, but in the winter much of the time it's just not possible. I was in the grocery store the other day, and the organic cauliflower heads were selling for eight bucks each. Not per pound. Each. And while the rest of the organic produce isn't quite that expensive, it's close. Even the organic milk is up to seven to eight dollars a gallon now, depending on the brand. I can't afford that all the time, so we get what we can afford.

Wow! That's high for organic milk. I can get organic milk from MOMS, Wegmans and Whole Foods for $5.69 a gallon.

Wow! That's high for organic milk. I can get organic milk from MOMS, Wegmans and Whole Foods for $5.69 a gallon.

Yeah. I don't know why it's so expensive here. A half gallon is even worse, between four and five bucks. :glare: Luckily, all the non-organic milk around here is rbgh-free, which is better than nothing. Even the non-organic milk here is up to around four-fifty a gallon at most places, though. We spend a lot on food. :(

One of the most fascinating things you learn, when you get MCS, is that our bodies were built-in with the ability to detox. If you happen to be a christian, ponder that. You have bodies made for the Garden of Eden (totally organic!) that just HAPPEN to have the built-in ability to detox, through many complicated mechanisms, the onslaughts of chemicals they were going to receive 2-3,000 years later in modern America. I just don't believe that's by chance, and it's why I don't think we have to be freaky about it. Do what you can, but know that you were also made with protective measures in place.

Very cool :)

ETA: We follow the Dirty Dozen list as well, then I compiled a list of the top 20 foods our family consumes most....those we do organic as well. That includes milk (which we get raw from a local homeschooling family) and meat but thankfully, we have a source here for reasonably price sides of beef, which we purchase every year or two; plus dh and ds have kept our freezer full of wild elk...

In general, I think so, but we too are on a tight budget and have to do what we can and not worry about the rest.

We do not eat much processed food - organic or not. We buy as much locally produced food as we can. We do have a garden and belong to a very affordable CSA.

My priority list for groceries like this:

1. Real food. Not processed. We avoid HFCS, artificial dyes or flavorings, preservatives, unfermented soy, MSG, etc. Some for personal health reasons - MSG gives me migraines, soy aggravates some issues for me, artificial dyes make my kids weird.

2. Animal products - dairy, eggs, meat, poultry

We live in an area with many small farms, most of which are organic, but not certified. I can buy grass fed/pastured meats, eggs, dairy, raw or pasteurized, easily. (In terms of availability, not price!) I can't do it all so I choose the things we eat more of, which stretch our dollars the farthest and which are high in fat, since fat carries a high concentration of toxins. Somethings are cheaper at the store. E.g. Organic Valley butter (a Bon Appetit pick for top 10 kitchen staples!) for $4.82 at Walmart. Pastured butter is $10/lb locally.

I buy pastured eggs, bacon, sausage (and lard!), grass fed ground beef and soup bones. Chx breasts I usually get at the store. Pastured whole chx are anywhere from $3.45 to $5.75/lb. I f I can get it under $4, I do and make stock from the bones. I buy organic every so often at Kroger b/c then they will send me coupons for it. We buy milk from a local dairy with only grass fed cows. Pasteurized, but not homogenized. I make our yogurt from this too. Occasionally I buy raw milk. I can't afford organic cheese but I get hormone free.

3. Dirty dozen fruits and veggies. We do get some of these in our CSA and some we grow ourselves. As other have said, the list does change from time to time. We pick local berries, not organic but unsprayed, and freeze them.

4. Sugar. Flour and grains. Because they are staples and in many things.

Again, I can't do all of these all the time. Every week is a balancing act and I don't always accomplish my goals.

I don't care too much about the official organic label when I can meet the farmer, visit the farm etc. Much of what is available here is "beyond organic" in that it is pastured or grass fed. I'd rather have local grass-fed beef than organic grain-fed from California. It's the quality of the food that counts, not the label.

But as many have noted, these concerns give way before the simple necessity of putting food on the table.

I'm thankful that despite a tight budget, my kids do not go hungry!

Pesticides cause cancer and are detected in blood levels of children who eat conventionally grown foods. Yes, organic is definitely worth it.

Here are some ways to help keep costs down:

Buy and eat only what's in season. Buy in bulk when you find a good deal. Learn how to preserve.

Go for frozen over fresh organics.

Focus on healthy, not variety. Beans and rice are pretty affordable organic. Make that dinner (topped with organic veggies) a few times per week.

Find a farmer's market that is not trendy- in CA they are all over the place and many vendors offer non-sprayed naturally grown produce that is not certified organic and thus much cheaper and still healthy because they are not grown with chemicals. See if you can find anything like that in your area.

If you can't afford to buy milk/cheese organic go dairy free. Dairy is very expensive and there are cheaper ways to get your calcium and protein.

Even organic eggs are a very cheap source of protein. Make more meals that revolve around eggs, even for dinner.

Buy whole organic chickens from Costco. Make the meat stretch by adding it to large salads or soup. Use the carcass to make bone broth, which contains calcium and other minerals/nutrients and stretches the chicken farther.

Start your own garden.

• 4 weeks later...

I do not believe it's worth it and IMHO it borders on a marketing scam.

How so?

It is entirely possible to eat a very healthy diet with no organic products whatsoever.

True.

It is not true that it costs more to produce organic foods. On paper, it costs less.

Um, no. It doesn't cost less. Not in the case of certified organic dairy in the U.S., anyway. I can assure you our cost of production is well above the costs of conventional production. That, in turn, is why the end price is more. We set our pay price such that we can make a living wage at this job. Crazy, eh? ;-)

One option for people living where organic veggies are super expensive - to buy frozen organic veggies at a cheaper price (frozen organic spinach bag is $2).

Do take a look at the point of origin on the frozen food packaging, though.

As a breast cancer survivor, I am careful about pesticides and hormones. I mostly follow Audrey's strategy, so in your case, I would always buy organic apples, but not organic oranges (generally things with thick skins are safer to buy conventionally). I focus on avoiding the dirty dozen (or stuff that has been on the dirty dozen in fairly recent years.)

I drink local milk that is not technically organic because the guy doesn't have his field certified. It is double the price of the cheapest milk in the grocery store. (Organic milk in the grocery store is also double the price of the cheapest milk.) I don't buy organic cheese--hard to find and very expensive. I don't eat much cheese. I do buy organic yogurt and kefir because I do eat a lot of those products.

I buy local grass-fed beef when we eat beef. I compromise on chicken and don't buy organic, but do buy antibiotic free. (All poultry is hormone free.) I am very careful about where the fish I buy comes from. I do not buy anything but wild caught.

It is worth it to me. I was quite ill 6 years ago, went to a naturopath and changed my diet, learned about traditional foods, organic vs. commercially grown.

It is very possible that some people are more sensitive to pesticides / toxins than others. I feel so much better today than I did 10 years ago. I am not saying this can solely be attributed to the change to organic food but I believe it is part of the bigger picture.

An older man at a farmer's market once said to my dh: "You can pay the grocer now or the doctor later." :)

Um, no. It doesn't cost less. Not in the case of certified organic dairy in the U.S., anyway. I can assure you our cost of production is well above the costs of conventional production. That, in turn, is why the end price is more. We set our pay price such that we can make a living wage at this job. Crazy, eh? ;-)

You are right, Colleen. I stand corrected. In my comment, I am thinking on my end of organic production, which is grain, oilseeds, vegetables and herbs. Bringing animals into any farming equation will automatically up your costs. Dairy is probably one of the most cost intensive farming industries as it is.

For my family, becoming locavores has naturally made us more organic. As has food preservation. It takes much more labor from us but we all consider REAL food to be imperative as a family. And I love that I have kids who ask for roasted brussel sprouts or steamed broccoli. :)

You are right, Colleen. I stand corrected. In my comment, I am thinking on my end of organic production, which is grain, oilseeds, vegetables and herbs. Bringing animals into any farming equation will automatically up your costs. Dairy is probably one of the most cost intensive farming industries as it is.

Thanks for noting this, Audrey.

An older man at a farmer's market once said to my dh: "You can pay the grocer now or the doctor later." :)

Love this! But if you're all about healthy eating & organics and get cancer (or in my case, your husband gets cancer) anyway, you end up paying both ways. Not to mention, people who love to deride organics get the smug satisfaction of "proving" you wrong (in their estimation). Oy.