Bathroom reading. Do you?

jeninok

153 members have voted

1. 1. Reading in the bathroom....Yea or nay

• Duh! Doesn't everybody
    • Only in the tub, otherwise it is gross
    • Absolutely not!
    • I like unicorns!

Can you help solve a disagreement DS and have been having for about a week?

His body magically needs to go potty every day before school, and sometimes it takes foreeeever. He also does not like to read, so I think that it would be a great time to sit with a book and no other distractions. :coolgleamA:

He says it is gross and weird and under no circumstances do normal people read in the bathroom. I have tried to point out that there are books made for this purpose, and he is quite old enough to take a book and take advantage of the peace and quiet.

I can hide in there and read in silence. I have done so since I was in elementary school. As long as the door was locked, my parents left me alone to read. I could read whole books. I do not keep books in the bathroom. They sit outside on the half wall.

(Gosh, is there ANYTHING I will not be asked to reveal about myself on this forum?)

It is an anonymous poll!!

But seriously if a reluctant reader is spending so much time in there probably avoiding school to some degree, I feel like he might as well use his time productively :)

It's the only place I can go and be completely undisturbed! Heck, sometimes I don't even have to go, I'll just take a book in the bathroom and hide out. :)

Indy has picked up the habit of reading in the bathroom. He's terribly regular (must be all the raisins and dates he eats) and when it's that time, he'll pick up whatever book he's reading for school (no, I don't get books from the library) and head to the bathroom. He says it keeps him from wasting school time.

It's the only place I can go and be completely undisturbed! Heck, sometimes I don't even have to go, I'll just take a book in the bathroom and hide out. :)

Indy has picked up the habit of reading in the bathroom. He's terribly regular (must be all the raisins and dates he eats) and when it's that time, he'll pick up whatever book he's reading for school (no, I don't get books from the library) and head to the bathroom. He says it keeps him from wasting school time.

My kids and I must be your long-lost twins :) this is us, too!

I do set an unspoken time limit, though. For the kids, anyhow. A few chapters is one thing, but any more than that and I worry they'll get a hemorrhoid LOL. The pain and suffering it would cause me to live with a kid experiencing a hemorrhoid is worth the huffing and puffing I get by forcing them out after a reasonable time!

Dh and I do. the kids not so much.

so I have stuck a periodic chart right across at eye level. I figure if they stare at it long enough it might sink in.

One of my high school's chemistry teachers told all of his students to do the same. It works.

I used to as a child, but no more. Grosses me out now. In one house I had maps of the world and the US posted just outside the potty. As DD was learning she kept the door open and would talk about the states and countries. Books in the bathroom just would not go over well these days.

I can hide in there and read in silence. I have done so since I was in elementary school. As long as the door was locked, my parents left me alone to read. I could read whole books. I do not keep books in the bathroom. They sit outside on the half wall.

Totally. Nobody bothered the kid in the loo about unloading the dishwasher so it was a safe place to hide with a Nancy Drew book.

Yeah, not in this household.

funny-bathroom-break-kid-baby-hand-door-find-you-pics.jpg

LOL. How did you get that picture of DD?!?! True story - one time I was in the loo and I guess by DD's standards I was taking too long and she was missing me so she grabbed a book and sprawled out on the floor right outside the door. I had no idea she was there and I tripped over her when I was leaving. It was dangerous ... and a little strange.