Menu

Easter Baskets made and hid. Anyone else?

lynn

It's hard to find creative hiding places when the kids get older. I thought I hid my son's good last year by hiding his favorite Easter candy in a yahtzee box. He just happened to look in there in his systematic search of the family room and found it in 10min. this year I am hiding it in plain sight in his own bookshelf.

I'm not making Easter baskets for the kids. Between both sides of the family and church...... Just too much. But I did get the eggs filled for dh's family lunch tomorrow. And I am so proud of myself.... No jelly beans this year. The kids are getting $ (the older ones) and whole wheat chocolate animal cookies. I am tired of the over abundance of sugar at Easter. So, I quit. My sil also said she was putting crackers in the eggs she was bringing

My kids are teens, and we never "did" the Easter bunny except in a wink-wink, nudge-nudge kind of way, meaning baskets don't get hidden. Our usual tradition is that one of the parents hangs behind a bit on the way out the door to church and sets out the baskets on the dining table or coffee table or some place in which they are easily visible when we walk back through the door later. However, this year my daughter is working on Easter morning. And I've more or less quit going to church, anyway. So, I'm unsure what we'll do.

My daughter isn't off work until 4:30. And my son is having a friend or two over after church, because they haven't had a chance to just hang out in a few weeks. But he needs to get his basket before I leave to collect his sister at work, because his big item is a pair of tickets to a comedy magic show tomorrow evening, and the show starts at 6:00.

I have an assortment of edibles for the two of them and the tickets for him. My husband and I are still trying to come up with a gift-y item for our daughter. If all else fails, we'll fall back on an iTunes card, but I'm still hoping for more inspiration. In any case, I'll assemble baskets this evening once everyone is out of the way,.

DD's eggs have legos in them, and her basket has books, goldfish crackers, and fruit. Good thing, too-we went to a hunt today that normally sees several thousand kids-and had maybe 200. DD came home with 153 eggs-and probably could have had more except her bag was getting heavy (she was using one of my grocery bags-she's learned that her basket tends to tip when you run and the eggs fall out).

I sent my husband to the store to buy Easter candy for the kids' Easter baskets. He brought back Snickers. No chocolate bunnies, no cadbury eggs, nothing like that...just a bag of fun size snickers. So I guess we aren't doing baskets this year! :tongue_smilie:

Makes me wonder if something is actually going on with him, because Easter baskets are his tradition, and he usually goes all-out for the kids.

My older girls and I have made a photo scavenger hunt for the younger kids. Each clue leads to one word of John 3:16. When they've found all the words and unscramble them to figure out the verse, they get to divy up a basket of candy. (I'm doing this instead of an egg hunt - hoping it will be more of a team effort.)

We did a new thing this year where we collected rocks to represent the stoney state of our sinful hearts and put the rocks in the basket. They covered the baskets with red cloth tonight to represent Jesus blood. So now I have to go dump out the rocks and replace them with gifts, which I did go buy today :). My mil, who always goes overboard on everything, sent them huge baskets already wrapped in cellophane. So they will get two baskets in the morning. I still have to put the stuff in the eggs and hide them in the yard.

Basket (two cute Spring-themed fabric pouches, actually) out on a chair, glass egg shaped ornaments hid throughout the living room.

Sometimes you just do what you can: high rise apartment, Muslim country, no egg dyeing kits or plastic eggs. I was ecstatic to find the egg ornaments! And a stuffed bunny (she gets a bunny every year).

Basket (two cute Spring-themed fabric pouches, actually) out on a chair, glass egg shaped ornaments hid throughout the living room.

Sometimes you just do what you can: high rise apartment, Muslim country, no egg dyeing kits or plastic eggs. I was ecstatic to find the egg ornaments! And a stuffed bunny (she gets a bunny every year).

FWIW, if it helps at all, you don't need an egg dying kit. I've always just used hot water, vinegar and regular food coloring. Works great!

My dc are 15 and 25. We don't do baskets anymore. I did get each a bag of candy. Dd wheedled hers out of me tonight, and DS will get his tomorrow when he comes over for dinner.

Part of me is sad that they're past the age to enjoy baskets and dying eggs, but part of me is glad I don't have to deal with the mess!

Our tradition is that the kids each have a basket with special goodies (something edible plus a small gift), just on the table in plain sight. And then the eggs that got dyed are hidden in a separate basket that they work together to find. Except this year, I just had knee surgery, so there are no dyed eggs, but I think DH is going to hide the basket with some plastic ones. Everything has been purchased, but it's not yet assembled - he'll do that in a bit once they're in bed.

I bought the candy. Then left it in the car and it got warm today. So we'll see if I have a melted mess when I pull it out tonight. We hide the eggs not the basket. One year we tied string to each kids bed and wove it around the house. The kids spent hours unwinding the string to get to their basket.

Only one for Easter this year--I sent the boys dollar store, handle-less baskets full of candy thru the mail.

I'm terrible at hiding the basket! It's just behind the door of the dining room--can anyone think of a good place? I need a clue, too, to give, as she only has a few minutes to look. Dh comes home from the earliest service for 15 minutes at 7am so the kid(s) can get their baskets before church. He's at the church at 4:30am to receive the Pascal light from the cathedral.

Baskets are ready, but I still have to hide them. The kids expect a challenge, so I have to think of where to hide them. If it is too easy they get upset. I think their favorite part of Easter is the challenge of finding their basket.

Baskets (yes she has two, one with spring/summer toys and one with candy) are hid and the plastic eggs. The hard boiled will be put out when we get up. Dd got a stuffed bunny from dh's aunt in the mail a few days ago so I made the bunny look like it was hiding eggs then time was up so the bunny turned back into a toy with an egg in its hand :)

Well, planning is everything. This is the first year I let the kids help with the baskets. Together we picked out the candy and loaded the baskets and then each kid hid the other's basket just before bed. We also colored the eggs together like we do every year. Problem is, I bought a "surprise" to drop into the baskets. And one of my kids hid her sister's basket in their bedroom closet. So I'm not sure how I'll work it with the surprise or the name eggs. Hmm. I also need to get up early to hide the other eggs around the house. I would rather sleep in! We were all up way past midnight so I don't know when the girls will wake up. I will probably just hide the eggs after church. Bah! I don't feel like I did Easter well this year at all. I have been so sick that it was hard to get into it.

We don't hide baskets. They're treated somewhat like Christmas stockings. We leave them out ready to be filled. I just snuck back upstairs from filling them. I tag team with dh. I stay up late to fill baskets. He wakes up early to hide eggs. I imagine holiday eves won't be as exhausting once dd figures things out?

Happy Easter! : )