Menu

Does anyone else here NOT eat only healthy foods?

Catwoman

Don't get me wrong -- I have nothing against people who take the time to eat cleanly, cook every single meal from scratch, and who never eat anything even remotely resembling junk food -- I admire their hard work and dedication, but...

I can honestly tell you that I never met anyone like that until we started homeschooling, and none of my friends IRL are that way, either, so I'm wondering if I'm the only one on this forum who tries to eat pretty well, but also eats out frequently and considers Beefaroni just fine as an occasional lunch option. Am I the only one who does not consider cookies, cake, chips, and candy to be Forbidden Foods, and who always has snack foods and soda in the house?

White sandwich bread seems to be another thing that is considered to be somehow absolutely horrible, so I don't even want to know how deadly and sickening people must think it is with some salami or ham on it. Sure, most of our bread comes from the bakery, but it's not usually whole grain.

We don't bake our own bread, own a grain mill, have our own chickens, grow our own food, or milk our own goats. We keep trying to like quinoa, but it's just not happening.

We like Italian food (but don't like whole grain pasta,) and we like French food, and burgers and fries, and food with sugar and salt and fat in it. We eat dairy products. I drink coffee and tea and other caffeinated beverages... and I put milk or cream and sugar in them

We're not overweight, our blood pressure is fine, and our cholesterol is low. We are considered pretty healthy by our doctors and by the people we know. But we aren't eating only whole grains and organic everything, and we all hate hummus.

Don't get me wrong -- we try to eat a balanced diet, and compared to a lot of the people we know, I think we do pretty well, but it's not some sort of "super diet" where everything that goes into our mouths is 100% healthy, and I'm fine with that -- but I sometimes feel that I'm just about the only person on this forum who feels that way.

Is anyone else in the same boat I'm in?

And please know that I'm not criticizing anyone, and I do know that many people have special dietary considerations that require them to follow special, specific diets. I'm just wondering if anyone else goes out for pizza and a soda as a matter of course, rather than considering it to be some sort of big, rare, special-occasion junk food splurge.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I'm with you!! :D

Like you, we try to eat a balanced diet and make healthier choices. But we have juice, soda, pasta, pizza, and other things that many would ban, in our house now. And I like them. :) And lets not talk about the bags of Easter candy, shall we....

No you aren't the only one. We'll probably get flamed now. Oh well. I'm happy with the way I eat and my healthy weight. Flame away.

:party:

It's nice to know I'm not alone!

I'm all about moderation, but it seems like it's "all or nothing" for many people. (And again, I know it's medically necessary for many people, and that is an entirely different situation.)

We are trying to eat differently due to specific health concerns, but mostly we eat like you say. Except I don't like white sandwich bread.

Yeah, when there are health concerns, you have to be a lot more careful.

And I'll give you a pass on not liking the white sandwich bread... just this once, and only because I like you! ;)

We are moderates when it comes to food. We just pigged out at Sizzler for their endless salad buffet last weekend and kids had several helping of ice-cream. Kids wanted to have pie for PI day, I am not in the mood to bake due to pollen allergies getting me down but will buy pie this weekend. I have store bought meatballs and chicken nuggets in my freezer for sick days or unexpected guests.

Well, I try to buy mostly natural foods, lots of fruits and veggies, very little processed stuff for home. We have our own chickens for eggs and a garden. But, when we're out and about? I have no problem hitting a fast food drive through, grabbing a large Coke, ordering a pizza on a busy night, etc. We probably grab a quick lunch like that at least twice a week. I also drink way too much coffee with generous amounts of cream and sugar in it every morning.

I have gluten issues, but that doesn't mean I don't eat a sandwich or oreos and milk once in a while. I just can't have it as often as I'd like without getting really sick.

I'm one of those "I'd have pizza everyday" kinda people if that was an option for me. :)

I'm one who buys grassfed meats, pastured chickens and their eggs, raw milk, and produce from our CSA. I avoid bread and starch. Or at least, I should.

Then that all runs out, and we eat meat, cheese, produce, milk, desserts, and every other good thing from Trader Joe's.

We have dessert every night, almost never home-made. Why, when I'm so addicted to Trader Joes dark peanut butter cups and salt-and-dark chocolate-covered almonds!

And we eat out a lot. And I drink alcohol daily. As a type this, I'm sitting in the warm sun with my dog at my neighborhood cafe drinking a Moscow Mule, and eating their delicious Turkey Stack sandwich on crusty ciabatta bread. And.....potato chips.

So, I STRIVE for one ideal, and live another about 50% of the time. Oh well! Now that Arizona Cocktail Week is over, I'm looking forward to St. Patty's Day. Onward! :D

I ate exactly as you did before I was diagnosed with celiac. Now, I have to cook more than I ever wanted to. In my pre-celiac life my motto was "It's all about balance. You have to balance the health food with the junk food!"

I mostly make everything from scratch for the simple reason that ready made gluten free items are EXPENSIVE. Think a 12oz. bag of gf pretzels is $7.69 and a loaf of gf bread (18oz.) is over $6. A box of 4 gf muffins is over $6. So, yeah. It's cheaper to make from scratch.

I drink heavy cream in my coffee and tea. :thumbup:

I love a certain gf white bread mix and splurge to buy it so I can make french bread with it.

I have a pint of Ben & Jerry in my freezer that I have a date with later tonight.

Trust me if I could eat anything and eat out I would. I used to. I haven't had take out or eaten out in almost 2 years. NOT BY CHOICE!

So when you see my posts here about me cooking, baking, and so forth just remember it's because this has been forced on me.

Oh, I also plan on buying Betty Crocker gf brownie mix this weekend....cause I'm PMS'ing and I want brownies.

I became very food conscious about 8 years ago for health reasons. But before that I ate a standard american diet minus the meat, because I dislike meat. But a lot of sugar & refined grains, never any greens, and the occasional fruit.

These days I might be considered a health nut but I do allow myself the occasional sugary indulgence, but I try to eat large amounts of greens every day, avoid refined grains and sugar, and stick to mostly plant foods.

My kids eat a S.A.D. for the most part but no soda or candy. We do make lots of desserts around here!

:seeya: Right now youngest is drinking Sprite and eating a Peep. Oldest is enjoying an Almond Joy with a Frappuccino.

Breakfast is usually make it yourself, which usually means eggs either scrambled or hard boiled. Lunch is usually leftover dinner, which I make most nights, or sandwiches. We have salad with every meal and everyone eats it. We love to snack on fruits and veggies, too.

We also like our junk food, which includes soda (shhh...sometimes in large quantities). My dds and dh are stick thin and tall. They're healthy and have great teeth as well. I'm a bit overweight but my blood pressure is usually on the low side, and my cholesterol and blood sugar are perfect. We probably do the junk food thing too often by most people's standards (soda and sweets are always in our house) but we're healthy and happy.

I believe in moderation! Dh is taking me out of town tomorrow. I plan on eating whatever I feel like, drinking good wine and enjoying myself. For the most part we eat healthy, and I'm trying to lower my carb intake, but moderation rules.

Am I the only one who does not consider cookies, cake, chips, and candy to be Forbidden Foods, and who always has snack foods and soda in the house?

We're not overweight, our blood pressure is fine, and our cholesterol is low. We are considered pretty healthy by our doctors and by the people we know. But we aren't eating only whole grains and organic everything, and we all hate hummus.

Don't get me wrong -- we try to eat a balanced diet, and compared to a lot of the people we know, I think we do pretty well, but it's not some sort of "super diet" where everything that goes into our mouths is 100% healthy, and I'm fine with that -- but I sometimes feel that I'm just about the only person on this forum who feels that way.

And please know that I'm not criticizing anyone, and I do know that many people have special dietary considerations that require them to follow special, specific diets. I'm just wondering if anyone else goes out for pizza and a soda as a matter of course, rather than considering it to be some sort of big, rare, special-occasion junk food splurge.

We are with you, we are a mix of healthy and unhealthy behavior. While we eat whole grains, lots of fruit and veggies, and lowfat dairy, I also drink diet soda daily. I run 10 miles a week and am not overweight. We eat cookies or other snacks daily. We ate McDonald's for lunch today. You know I'm going to hell for that! :lol:

I'm pretty sure the sight of my "snack cabinet" would give many on this forum a heart attack :) It's filled with goodies (chips, girl scout cookies, pretzels, snack mixes, Nutella, crackers, etc). There is also a cookie jar stuffed to the brim with homemade peanut butter cookies.

Of course, there is also a ton of fresh fruit littering the counter and if you open the fridge you'll find fresh, crunchy raw vegetables, meats, etc (okay, so you'll also find soda, non-organic milk, apple juice, and tons of fatty cheeses...).

Well, I've worked at a health foods store for 13+ years. I've been eating organic and natural foods since long before it was "cool." I've been a vegetarian all my adult life. I do own a grain mill and raise my own chickens (the goats, well, I've got 'em, but at this point they are elderly pasture potatoes and loved pets). I don't keep anything in the house that has corn syrup or artificial colors, and I mostly avoid packaged and processed foods.

BUT. I'm totally a believer in everything in moderation. So yeah, I ate an "egg" sandwich and a couple of donuts at Dunkin' last weekend. And I just made a pan of brownies with white flour. I know exactly what is in that stuff and how awful it is, but I don't think (barring any allergies or issues like celiac/gluten intolerance) that eating some crap every now and then is gonna kill us.

So no, you are not the only one, and even us crunchy, health-food store loving hippies eat junk sometimes!

(ETA: I don't consider things like heavy cream or real butter NOT healthy foods. I've been preaching that for more than a decade. I love fat. And I think its good for you, as long as it's not the processed trans-crap. :) )

We're having Krispy Kreme donuts for dessert tonight. :D

We prefer whole wheat bread and I try to serve salad nearly every day. But we do have soda. It's not a daily drink but it's not totally off limits here. And we do have ice cream in the freezer. So I guess that's a fairly standard American diet?

Don't get me wrong -- I have nothing against people who take the time to eat cleanly, cook every single meal from scratch, and who never eat anything even remotely resembling junk food -- I admire their hard work and dedication, but...

I can honestly tell you that I never met anyone like that until we started homeschooling, and none of my friends IRL are that way, either, so I'm wondering if I'm the only one on this forum who tries to eat pretty well, but also eats out frequently and considers Beefaroni just fine as an occasional lunch option. Am I the only one who does not consider cookies, cake, chips, and candy to be Forbidden Foods, and who always has snack foods and soda in the house?

White sandwich bread seems to be another thing that is considered to be somehow absolutely horrible, so I don't even want to know how deadly and sickening people must think it is with some salami or ham on it. Sure, most of our bread comes from the bakery, but it's not usually whole grain.

We don't bake our own bread, own a grain mill, have our own chickens, grow our own food, or milk our own goats. We keep trying to like quinoa, but it's just not happening.

We like Italian food (but don't like whole grain pasta,) and we like French food, and burgers and fries, and food with sugar and salt and fat in it. We eat dairy products. I drink coffee and tea and other caffeinated beverages... and I put milk or cream and sugar in them

Are you TRYING to get banned?

I guiltlessly eat most of the things on your list (except Beefaroni. You need to examine your life over that one alone). I also cook from scratch and eat the good stuff MOST of the time. One of the perks of having no food issues in my family is that we can eat whatever we want. Tonight we're having a salad and salmon. We had Chipotle for lunch. We get or make a pizza at least once a week. I've even been known to hit the McDonald's drive-thru.

I'm the person who annoyingly posts food pics on my Facebook feed. If I cooked it and it was interesting (to me) I'm sharing a photo. MANY of those recipes involve wheat, butter, cheese, red meats, etc . . . I will proudly make a stromboli without an ounce of whole wheat flour. I'm REALLY into food :-)

ETA: Chic-fil-A milkshakes ROCK!

We do take-out Chinese food once a week. We don't live in an area where that food is all organic/grass fed. It is, they say, without MSG. We've been getting the same take- out from the same place for years.

I buy some processed food to have on hand: Amy's products (veggie burgers, burritos), and Newman's pizza. I also buy Annie's Shells, so the kids at home have that at least once a week for lunch. They also eat peanut butter, almond butter, eggs, salmon, grass fed meat, our own chickens, real butter, tuna, nuts, raw milk, hummus etc. Sometimes I make the hummus, and sometimes I just buy a big tub. ;) Raw carrots are staples.

I don't care if the children go out for ice cream. I don't care if they make banana muffins with chocolate chips. ;) I do not have a sweet tooth, but I do like salty things. I buy blue corn tortilla chips, and I love avocados. (I haven't had any in a long time...but that just made me think of Pringles. :) )

My thinnest child is a mashed potato lover. Dc will cook up a batch of potatoes (and doesn't peel them because it's too much trouble) at least once a week, and eat it all with salt and butter. (Nobody else really cares about mashed potatoes.) My kids like to bake. I buy organic ingredients, but sugar is sugar.

My kids are very healthy-- we all are. (Knock wood.) I can't remember the last time any of us was sick. (Gosh, why do I say these things????????)

I make sure there are lots of veggies and fruits. I feel really lucky that I can go to the market and buy however much I want of organic fruits and veggies etc. Summer here is wonderful We have a garden, and there are lots of organic items available at our local Farmers Market.

I could stand to loose a few pounds. I try not to eat too many crappy carbs, but sometimes I do.

We try to eat mainly healthy foods, but I disapprove of formalism across all disciplines, including culinary (translation: we eat pub food once a week).

I like salty snacks, not so much sweets. Stuff like Doritos, Cheetos, etc. And I like pork rinds.

Last Thursday I ate an entire bag of Lays BBQ potato chips. One of the big bags. Myself. I wasn't very happy with myself on Friday, but Thursday I just kept eating them.

I like salty snacks, not so much sweets. Stuff like Doritos, Cheetos, etc. And I like pork rinds.

Sweets I could care less about. But salty snacks - my downfall. My girls baked a double-chocolate cake yesterday, and it doesn't bother me at all to pass it up. But a bag of chips is not safe in this house. My dh loves pork rinds. That's the only salty snack I don't eat. I rarely buy them because I can't trust myself.

We eat healthy about 85% of the time. Because of DS's various food sensitivities, I cook all of our meals at home from scratch. We drink mostly water (the kids and I like Perrier so I do keep that around as a treat). I never buy soda and only buy orange juice every few months. Snack foods are mostly fruits, veggies, and nuts.

That said, I love to eat out and do so at least 2-3 times a week. Today, after dropping off the kids at my mom's (date night tonight with DH!) I went to Chipotle for lunch and through the Starbucks drive-thru on the way home. Add dinner out with DH, and I will have eaten out 3x today. :D When I go out I eat whatever sounds good - whether it's a *healthy* option or not. I also have a glass or two of wine most evenings - sometimes with chocolate.

You saw my list in the "what would you eat if health were not a concern" thread the other day. I'm happy to say that I enjoy all of those foods in moderation. I just don't eat them at every meal. ;)

I'm baking cookies now for a bed time snack.

Dh is diabetic so we are a little more careful with what we eat but we still manage to eat more junk than I like to admit. (Good thing Dh has much better self control than I do). Both my littles are underweight so I spend quite a bit of time making things they like to eat including bread (with white flour and topped with butter) and cookies.

We eat healthy probably 80% of the time. We eat out quite a bit because eveyrone in my family is a foodie. We can and eat local chickens plus organic buffalo at home. I make the mozzarella and ricotta for my lasagna. And the sauce.

But we also all had a can of Ravioli Os for lunch this week because we spent 3 days straight running errands and frankly Mama was still tired from making the lasagna. :laugh:

When I go out I eat whatever sounds good - whether it's a *healthy* option or not. I also have a glass or two of wine most evenings - sometimes with chocolate.

l. ;)

dh and I recently went out for wine, and rich & creamy clam chowder. It was delicious and decadent. (And there was even music.)

I do know people who would not touch that chowder. I know a guy who won't touch lobster because it is all fat. He's not gained a pound since high school, and if he has, it must be muscle, as he looks exactly the same. I have to give it to him. He does like vodka. lol

I do think there are people who are that dedicated, and happy about it.

One of my favorite memories of my dad is taking a short road trip when I was around six. My brother, dad, and I shared a huge bag of pork rinds and I had my own can of Dr Pepper *gasp*. I guess I can thank (or blame, depending on the POV) him for my love of junk food.

We try to eat mainly healthy foods, but I disapprove of formalism across all disciplines, including culinary (translation: we eat pub food once a week).

"I disapprove of Culinary Formalism."

Wow! I am totally stealing that. :hurray:

I love it! It sounds so much smarter the way you phrased it!!! :D

I know a guy who won't touch lobster because it is all fat. He's not gained a pound since high school, and if he has, it must be muscle, as he looks exactly the same. I have to give it to him. He does like vodka. lol

Well of course he likes the vodka. It helps him forget about the Forbidden Lobster. ;)

Yum, I love pub food! We don't have any pubs here, we don't even have sports bars.

I'm always confused when people ask if I like salty or sweet? :confused1: Both? I would like an order of french fries, followed up with a maple glazed donut please. :drool5:

My kids are GF, so I never get donuts, if I could sneak out of the house, I would eat donuts.

I try to eat only home raised meat, wheat bread, homemade salad dressing etc. However, I seriously do not think I could survive without the occasional junk food. It is good for the soul so you see in that light even the junkiest food is healthy:)

typed as I was eating an almond chocolate bar.

We mix the healthy and the unhealthy and I don't feel the least bit guilty. Since middle son brought a friend home for spring break, we even took them both to the local potato chip factory tour today (Utz) right before getting Shamrock shakes at McD's, then hitting Wally World to load him up with snacks (including oodles of chips) to take back to college with him.

I'll admit to liking frozen pizza, frozen grilled chicken, and frozen meatballs as some of our "need it quick" meals. I also love Arbys, Chick Fil A and Taco Bell.

I don't like white bread (except with cheesesteak), so we do whole wheat and we own our own chickens because I like them and their eggs, but no, I don't feel the least bit guilty at keeping chips and regular soda on hand along with tea or nuts.

I even like Movie Theater popcorn... and microwaved versions of it.

We strive for what we believe is healthy eating. For us that means centering our intake around lower fat foods, lots of fruits and veggies and healthy whole grains. But we've got way too much going on to let shopping and meal prep take up a huge chunk of our time, and we believe in moderation and not becoming obsessed about anything. So yes, there are convenience foods galore here and we eat out or get take-out quite a lot. In fact, I just polished off a diet Coke.