Menu

Does anyone else here NOT eat only healthy foods?

Catwoman

I think the key here is OP's family is NOT overweight,

probably due to lucky genes.

We ate like OP until DH and I gained a huge amount of weight.

DH turned very fat, so did I. And DS, who is not fat at all, was eating

like us. We decided to do something.

Now we really try to eat as much organic as possible, cooking from scratch, mostly healthy

unprocessed food, lots of veggies, skim milk, no more mayo,

blah blah. (Only occasional yummy treats.)

But if we hadn't gained weight, we would have kept eating happy

normal food.

I wish we could have kept going, but we just didn't want to keep

gaining, and didn't want DS to become overweight

like us.

With the new diet DH lost 15 lb, I lost 22 lb, and DS thank goodness hasn't got fat

at all.

It boils down to lucky genes I think--which we don't have...

:(

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to be healthy, but I like my baked goods. Not everything I eat is supernutritious, but I do try to be balanced and overall healthy. I do not believe in fad diets. I cook a lot of food from scratch, but that includes things with sugar and white flour.

And, yes, someone on here criticized me because my kids know how to open a juice box.

For the record, I only give my kids juice sometimes but that seemed way healthier than all the other kids near me who drink soda and eat candy all the time. Ha! I know kids who only eat fried chicken or whatever.

I think online forums are not representative of reality.

When I was visiting my boyfriend at the time in the Netherlands, he had me make a peanut butter and strawberry jelly sandwich when his friends and family were over. Then he was like, "Watch! She'll eat it!" They were all gagging and saying how gross it was. I was thinking, "What is wrong with these people? It is a wonderful flavor combination." I couldn't even get them to try it. :lol:

My sisters in law once gathered around cackling while I ate macaroni and cheese, made with cheddar. They were daring each other to eat it. One did and had to spit it out. It was insulting but also really funny.

I love that you wrote this post and all the honest responses that follow! Admittedly, I feed my kids a lot better than I eat myself. We make sure to get all the good stuff in, the fruits and veggies and lots of water. We do buy organic and I cook from scratch alot - sometimes it's healthy from scratch and sometimes it's rich and fatty from scratch :thumbup1: . I have a cookie monday tradition where there is something baked fresh every monday. We order pizza and that in itself is an ordeal with one gluten sensitive kid, one vegetarian, and one meat LOVER!

Overall, I agree - balance and moderation is key, like in all areas of life!

My sisters in law once gathered around cackling while I ate macaroni and cheese, made with cheddar. They were daring each other to eat it. One did and had to spit it out. It was insulting but also really funny.

LOL. What a waste of perfectly good mac and cheese (letting your SIL try it, just to spit it out). What were they cackling about? The use of real cheddar?

I only know one family that is 100% "perfect". I have no desire to aspire to their perfection, it means that they never go to any event because of food and their kids have some bizarre habits due to how much they are restricted. We do however try to keep pretty healthy. I buy grassfed meat, eat gluten free buy organics, etc. However, they have treats from time to time. Today they shared some peeps with their friends and had a hamburger patty w/ fries for lunch. Personally I try to keep grain/sugar free. I wish I could eat more relaxed. It gets tiring, not just the physical work of cooking, as convenience items are rare and expensive, but also the mental exhaustion of always having to worry about food. However, gluten isn't an option and I much prefer how I feel when I eat well over when I don't.

LOL. What a waste of perfectly good mac and cheese (letting your SIL try it, just to spit it out). What were they cackling about? The use of real cheddar?

I didn't know she would hate it! She only ate one noodle. No, it is because they don't normally eat cheese of any kind, much less cheddar, which is a bit strong if you're unaccustomed to cheese. I am not sure anyone had ever eaten any before, certainly not any of my SILs.

Personally, I'm pretty sure that this is correlation not causation. It's hard to eat horribly and be a healthy weight, at least past the age of 28 or so, and it's hard to eat ideally for your body (note that I'm not saying "according to mainstream medical guidelines") and not at least head in the direction of a healthier weight. But I'm not sure the people who maintain a "healthy" body weight by eating junk food in specific calories in/calories out calculated amounts are going to be healthier than someone who is not ideal weight but eating well.

I agree. I used to eat like total crap. A snickers and coke for lunch every day and still cellulite and fat free. Dh was stick thin and never touched a fruit or veggie until we dated. He's type 1 diabetic, btw. My joints are dead. Now if we cheat on our diet, we hurt or have big consequences. Like my cheat for today:Starbucks peppermint mocha which whip. Ohhhh I will hurt tomorrow. Usually i have a safer splurge, but we were out late and i had a migraine. in that case, Starbucks is medicine. ;)

I do believe if you get too extreme about diet, it will only hurt you, though. Psychologically it toes a toll. That's why I like the primal diet like Mark Sisson describes. You need balance and occasional splurges.

I grew up on frozen pot pies, campbells soups, kraft spag in the box. I taught myself how to cook good southern food which is really not healthy LOL. I started cooking healthy most of the time but sometimes I just want chicken n dumpling, fried flounder, gumbo and well you get the picture. We also love our junk. I do get healthy junk LOL I love veggie chips but then I will also get ruffles and dip. I believe in moderation and my dh would never eat completely clean. He is one of those guys high metabolism that can eat anything so he does eat more junk.

Last night was Chinese take out full fat, sodium MMM good very naughty meal LOL

Personally, I'm pretty sure that this is correlation not causation. It's hard to eat horribly and be a healthy weight, at least past the age of 28 or so, and it's hard to eat ideally for your body (note that I'm not saying "according to mainstream medical guidelines") and not at least head in the direction of a healthier weight. But I'm not sure the people who maintain a "healthy" body weight by eating junk food in specific calories in/calories out calculated amounts are going to be healthier than someone who is not ideal weight but eating well.

This is true. There are many people that are above the ideal BMI who are fitter and healthier than those in a "healthy" BMI range but who live on cr@p food. I know quite a few people who are slender but unhealthy and who couldn't pass a basic physical fitness test and who get eye opening results from their blood panels. My little brother was like this- ate nothing BUT starches and sugars, maintained an ok weight. He was then told he was a greatly elevated risk for a cardiac event. Eating better reversed his numbers, even now that he has in fact gained a little weight. No matter how you dice it, the quality of the calories you eat and getting adequate vitamins and minerals are an important factor in health and energy levels. I feel far better on a dinner of salmon and broccoli than on a dinner of cheese bread and ice cream. Mental function, energy, sleep etc are all impacted by diet choices. That said, there are those rare nights when dinner is pretty much ice cream for the kids and my husband and some alternate for me (I am not a dairy fan.)

Florida too. I am always so aggravated by the Orlando Whole Foods, for example. It's Florida, people! Why are your 'organic' oranges from Mexico?!

This chart says oranges are seasonal in Florida from October to July.

Wow, July? I've never known of Florida oranges to be available in October or July though I'm sure the big citrus companies have found a way to do it. November to April is more like it. Most citrus is winter fruit, though some oranges ripen as late as April or May. I have fond memories of going out to our backyard on Christmas mornings to pick oranges to have with breakfast. It was a Christmas tradition. If I tried to buy oranges or grapefruit in July in a grocery store, they would be from California or somewhere in South America. (I hardly ever buy them though because we can have them all winter for free.)

I don't live in FL, but I visit often, and I must admit there are some decent Farmers' Markets. In fact, Orlando's is pretty spectacular.

Yet the farther away you get from metro areas (Orlando,Tampa, Miami, Jax, etc.) the fewer options you have for locally grown. I can get some locally grown produce at a small produce store in town, but even they stock from other states and other countries. Some of the nearby farmer's markets also have produce from around the world.

I only know one family that is 100% "perfect". I have no desire to aspire to their perfection, it means that they never go to any event because of food and their kids have some bizarre habits due to how much they are restricted.

I know a few families like that IRL. It is really sad. The funny thing is, their kids aren't all that healthy. They get sick as much as anyone else's, and take just as long to recover. The kids don't eat or drink anything when they go to a friend's house.

I just was looking at America's Test Kitchen's Healthy Family Cookbook, and I think it's got some nice ideas of being reasonably healthy and adding more whole grains and veges to the diet without being very extreme about it. King Arthur Flour has Whole Grain Baking, which has some nice recipes using (but not exclusively, either) more whole grains in your baking. I think it's nice to have ideas for getting rid of fat that really doesn't improve anything and increasing overall healthfulness, even if you only use them occasionally. I made the KA flour whole wheat brownies once, and they were very very good. No one who ate them detected it, and they were quite nice. Why not use whole wheat flour for things like that, where the extra healthfulness is either undetectable or makes something taste better?

King Arthur Flour has Whole Grain Baking, which has some nice recipes using (but not exclusively, either) more whole grains in your baking.

I made the Peanut Butter Muffins this morning (without chocolate chips or glaze), a family fave. Blueberry bran for the week, and these for a treat on the weekend. Most of the fat in the recipe is from the peanut butter.

Here's the recipe:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/423921-muffinsrecipes-or-ideas-needed/#entry4297997

I made the mistake of serving some young guests soup with kale in it. I did chicken nuggets after that.

We eat lots of weird vegetables and grains and legumes. I also make Hamburger Helper, which seems to be the worst thing you could possibly do to your children. Sometimes I buy poptarts. My 2 year old finishes my glasses of soda. Depending on what meal you join us for, you might think we are freaky-deaky crunchy granola healthy. Or you might think we eat nothing but processed garbage.

When can we come for the processed garbage? :drool5:

Folks, this is a long thread; I'm not going to read all of it. But I saw the topic at hand and I just HAD to share this link below! I hate cooking and we're particular about the flavor/texture of our foods (i.e. we're all really picky eaters), and we fall well below the line of people who definitely do NOT eat only or mostly or half healthy foods. If I can throw it in the oven for 15 minutes with zero prep on my part, I'm happy.

So anyway, I read this last night and LAUGHED SO HARD. Gasping for breath, tears, the whole shebang. :D

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cook_home

(warning: there is one not-child-friendly word in it)

When can we come for the processed garbage? :drool5:

I have a delicious recipe featuring ramen noodles on the menu tonight, if you're interested. :lol: No green beer to go with it, but I could pour you a glass of wine!

Did you get my message about Tuesday?

So do I get junk food cred for eating chocolate chip cookies or do I get slammed for having made those cookies myself, going as far as to brown the butter and dissolve the sugar in the process for the best texture and caramelized flavor?

Plenty of homemade stuff isn't healthy. You can cook mainly from scratch, eat a lot of very healthy food AND still eat cookies and cakes and fried chicken etc in moderation.

I made browned butter brownies from Bon Appetit yesterday and watched people stand by them and sneak them for about half an hour. Oh, so good!!

And now I'm craving them again...

I thought of this thread while food shopping yesterday. Next thing you know I bought 4 boxes of Triscuits. Eeek! I don't almost ever buy stuff like that, but what the hey. I scarfed down a box last night.

I'm thirsty just thinking about that.

You are not alone.

Although, we love quinoa (except for DS), love hummus (except for DD). We're not super strict about it, but do try to eat organic, whole/brown foods at home, because....

We eat out. More than we should. Where we revel in all the white/not healthy/greasy food glory. Pizza, fast food burgers, pasta, and pop.

We do eat boxed, canned, frozen convenience foods, too. Especially for lunches, so we're not totally healthy at home, either.

Yesterday, I had a Mcdonalds cheeseburger and a Diet Coke.

I feel like I have done my part for supporting *healthy foods* now.

Yesterday we started with fried eggs (over easy - from our chickens - any bonus points there?), & potatoes + spam fried toegether. Lunch was at a Taco Bell/KFC place. Supper was at McD's and included Shamrock Shakes.

We were taking middle son back to college from spring break. Breakfast was his request and the others were travel foods. No regrets here.

Of course, today's lunch was deer (crockpot recipe using Sherry, soy sauce, onions, garlic, turmeric, etc), corn, broccoli (garden) and cantaloupe.

We simply do a mix - healthy reasonably often and other foods when we want.

We will eat anything in my family. I try to cook healthy about 90% of the time but not always. For example, a few nights ago I was making some sort of grilled meat with a side of steamed broccoli. Totally healthy. DH came in and looked at it and said that his mom used to serve broccoli with melted cheese on top. We discussed it for a few minutes and DD said she had never had anything like that. Well! I can't raise my child to not experience all sorts of broccoli toppings so I whipped up some VELVETA cheese sauce to go with the broccoli. It reminded me of my grandmother's cooking and I enjoyed every bite of that food product.

The day before we had marinated tofu with steamed spinach and apples. The day before that I tried to make my own veggie burgers with avacado topping and roasted potatoes.

I love kale. So there :p

Bill

I love kale also!

We just finished up a container of Oreos so no, we don't always eat homemade or particularly healthy. We can't do a lot of foods we used to do because of my dd;s allergy which forces me to cook even more homemade then I used to. I believe in moderation and that includes treats that aren't homemade.

Forgot to mention this earlier but I also HATE PB&J. DD loves it and will eat it everyday. It makes me want to gag. I like PB and nutella, PB and bananas, and Jelly on toast but if you put jelly on top of my PB I'm going to choose to starve instead of eat it.

I'm pretty sure the sight of my "snack cabinet" would give many on this forum a heart attack :) It's filled with goodies (chips, girl scout cookies, pretzels, snack mixes, Nutella, crackers, etc). There is also a cookie jar stuffed to the brim with homemade peanut butter cookies.

Of course, there is also a ton of fresh fruit littering the counter and if you open the fridge you'll find fresh, crunchy raw vegetables, meats, etc (okay, so you'll also find soda, non-organic milk, apple juice, and tons of fatty cheeses...).

Your pantry and fridge are much the same as mine. We eat healthy meals for the most part. My kids eat a good variety of fruits and veggies. We like whole grain breads, pasta, and brown rice, but also will do white rice and pasta about half the time and I like sourdough bread and even white bread, to make grilled cheese sandwiches in winter, with real butter, and processed cheese.

I also have posted about (gasp, are you ready for this) canned soup in recipes.

I am not going to be gluten free enless it's a necessity. Sorry. Well, no not really :)

We went to the movies tonight, and my dinner was popcorn and Reese's Pieces. The worst part is that with my warped taste and smell it didn't even taste that good, but I wanted to eat it anyway. Does it make it better that I had a green smoothie with kale and spinach for lunch?

To get back to the goat-raising aspect... we have a baby goat that's black on both ends, and white in the middle. The kids are absolutely baffled by why we call her Cookie.

(This is what I mean about the so-crunchy-as-to-be-satire posts)

Don't hate. We took a little road trip today and the kids got to choose their snack at the convenience store. One got Peanut M&Ms, two got M&M cookies.

I suppose I should have made them get Oreos. For the cultural educational value and all that. And since the trip was to visit a fault, and they're about to watch the Bill Nye episode about earthquakes, we probably could have done some sort of cool demonstration of tectonic plates or something with them. Total missed opportunity.

• 7 months later...

Eating healthy foods will provide you good body condition. It will boost your immune system resulting to strong body resistance. When that thing happens, there will be a good result that can be seen physically. Your height may increase without even noticing it that will leave you in full surprise.

**************OLD THREAD ALERT!!!!!!************

Reported gflexpro, our latest troll.

I don't know what he wants, but I wish he wouldn't have dredged up one of my very old threads.

No need to rehash any of this again... Keep it moving, people! :D

************OLD THREAD ALERT**************

***************OLD THREAD ALERT**************