Menu

I can't do this anymore.

It's just too much.

Dad threw up again last night, and they wanted to discharge him anyway. They don't know why he has intermittent vomiting.

Dad has been confused a lot during this hospital stay.

I found out from my mom tonight that dad's not actually taking anything for his diabetes.

He needs a more permanent catheter for his dialysis, but he doesn't want to get it.

They're discharging him tomorrow with no explanation as to why he's confused or vomiting.

He's going to be home alone all day while mom's at work. And from what mom sounded like on the phone tonight, she's pretty much checked out of the situation.

I'm a mess. I don't know how to help my dad anymore, and I'm just a freaking mess.

I agree with the previous posters about a patient advocate! They are not treating him in any way for Diabetes?? Really?? Have they explained why? They would be willing to release him when he is confused and vomiting??? Really??? At the risk of repeating myself - why??? He will be sent home with no one to care for him? Are these not sufficient enough reasons to keep him where he is or, at least, transfered to hospice or a nursing home?

I can sympathize how very hard this is for you and I am so sorry you are going through this. I really, truly am. I went through a somewhat similar situation with my late mother. It wasn't easy, but I had to be her advocate. I know this is very hard, but I suggest you do what you can to see that he gets the appropriate help and gets to a stable place. If you see it through, you will have no regrets. And, eventually, you will breathe easy again.

Do you have a good IRL support network? Family? Friends? Church members that will hold you up in prayer and meet your practical needs? I wish I could do more, but I will continue to pray for you from here. As others have said, keep venting here - you need the outlet. :grouphug:

(((hugs)))

Hospice? Can he come with you? I wish I could help, I wish we all could help.

I'm going to take a bat to your mother. Just one swing, I swear.

Get mad with the Dr. Tell them he can't come home and that he needs a nursing home?

Has Hospice even been discussed as an option with the family though?

I agree that hospice care is great (I'm a volunteer), but it might not be what he needs just yet. Can your mother afford a companion type person to come in a care for him during the day? My sis did something like this for a while. She would go into the family's house to watch their mother. She did light chores (tidying, laundry), fixed this lady lunch, and just basically visited with her for about 3-4 hours. It was a set of eyes there just in case something happened while the family was away working. We have something similar for my mom now too.

Call social services and patient advocates and see what might be available through the state.

I'm sorry your mom has checked out. She's probably exhausted & overwhelmed herself....and older people do not deal with stress as well as they did when they were younger. :grouphug:

Talk to the doctor and hospital about getting him into a local rehabilitation care facility. He can be transferred straight from there to the hospital and stay until he gains strength to go home. He isn't well enough to go home, especially since doesn't have anyone who will be taking care of him. Otherwise, you'll need to arrange for home health care. This is what my dad with my mom. She was in rehab for a couple weeks and then they had nurses coming to the house almost daily until she was better. They also assigned a social worker to my dad because he was so stressed out. This may be needed for your mom if she is so stressed she's incapable of making decisions. I don't think it's time for hospice unless he is terminal and there is absolutely no hope. I'm sorry but it sounds like its going to be on your shoulders to make sure he gets the proper care since your mom is not taking responsibility.

I wanted to also suggest home health care. It will be covered under Medicare as long as he is homebound. It can include a nurse, PT, OT, and ST if needed. But that is just a few visits a week and doesn't provide someone to stay with him all day long. A skilled nursing facility may also be an option. You sound like an amazing daughter and I am sorry you are having to deal with all this but I am sure your Dad appreciates you even if he can't tell you right now.

It may be you're in a different state, but patients are seldom released as you describe, especially with disorientation, without someone at home (not at work) as a caregiver. Can you talk to the Doc? I know you've posted a lot about your situation, but I am not current on the facts. I would push hard on the hospital staff, requesting a social worker to review your case etc. The hospital is responsible for ensuring your father takes his meds. That his diabetes meds are not being administered is not OK. I'd be putting on my big Bit-- boots on and start asking questions that you want answered.

Who has medical decision making power on behalf of you father? You or your mother? Who ever has the power, that person needs to advocate for your father's care.

Caring for ones elderly parents is not easy. I am going through a similar situation with my mother. Fortunatly, my mother is cooperative, and so far her care is good. I did the same for my father before he passed away. If anything I learned was to be demanding and persistent.

In the end you might find that a convalecent center might be a better fit.

I was dealing similar circumstances last year, with my mom-living with dementia, and dad acting as caretaker and dealing with severe depression. I completely agree with everything in PrincessMommy's post. We made it through, somehow, but it took a mental health stay in the hospital for my dad, unfortunately :(. Has your mom seen a doctor?

In March of last year, mom fell and broke her hip and went directly from the hospital to an excellent nursing home. This was thanks to our family doctor advocating for my parents. I do think it is very important to find an advocate in *someone*.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: Wish there was more I could do.

The diabetes thing is a huge red flag. Really? I can't believe they would release a diabetic without blood sugars under control? That alone could cause confusion.

I'm sorry Bethany. I hope you can get some answers and some peace. :grouphug:

I was going to suggest a patient advocate as well. Also, consider seeing someone yourself and maying taking medication short-term. I know people have different feelings about doing so, but it can help you to be functional during a very stressful time. You might talk to the hospice people about counselling for you even if you don't want medication. They have been with a lot of people through some very rough times and will understand what you are feeling. :grouphug:

:grouphug: Call the patient advocate. Ask them to put in writing that they are discharging your father despite him not getting treatment for his diabetes and his uncontrolled vomitting and disorientation. Explain that he has no one to help him at home - no matter what your mother may have told them.

One of the most frustrating things about Mom's cancer was everyone passing the buck to someone else with medication side effects. The patient advocate will listen. She was one of the few people I could count on while Mom was sick.

I'm praying for you. It is so hard to feel so helpless.

Most (all?) hospitals also assign a case manager to each patient who is responsible for making the discharge arrangements. You need to speak with that person without your mother present so that they understand that your father will not have anyone home with him during the day and also that based on your interactions with him he is not fully oriented at all times. Make sure they put your concerns in writing in his file which will ensure that anyone looking over his notes sees them. It is probably also worth explaining to the case manager that your mother is not handling things well and is having trouble properly evaluating the situation and accepting his condition. Then give them your contact information and ask that you be kept in the loop.

Yes, you need the patient advocate or a hospital social worker to intervene.

I went through a similar thing with my father four years ago, but I was halfway across the country without the power to make decisions. Discharging him to the care of my mother was *NOT* the right thing to do.

So I was calling and faxing everyone begging for help there. In that case the right choice was to put him into a local nursing home, and I demanded that from anyone who would listen until it happened. He had wonderful care there, and I have no regrets about that.