Menu

8th grade plans

We might as well round it out with an 8th grade planning thread. :D

I don't see any way to fit everything I would like to include in 8th grade.

Math - Chalkdust Pre-Algebra

English - Galore Park English Year 9, Lingua Mater Americana, 6-8 American Lit books

History - American History - my own plan

Science - ??? I can't decide

Music - Connect the Thoughts: Music Theory 2, American Composers, & Musical Theater Composers plus guitar lessons

Creative Writing - The Creative Writer 2 (if it is out, otherwise Perrine's Lit book) and Connect the Thoughts Creative Writing 4 and 5

Things that probably won't fit:

Geography - Oak Meadow World Geography & Mapping the World with Art

Spanish - Breaking the Barrier 1 or ????

Piano lessons

Sorry, I have no better alternative plan because, unless I am dissuaded, I will go with TPS for 8th, all subjects. But I think what you have looks good. My dd has enjoyed BTB French, and Oak Meadow is always tempting to me, I just can't see the expense of doing their online program.

Here's my current plan for next year, but it's subject to change as my DS11 may be going back to PS after next year for sports. If that's the case, I may change a few things to be sure there are no glaring gaps in his education according to our state standards. He has through the summer to decide what he wants to do, so I can plan accordingly.

Language Arts - R&S 8 (for English lessons only); Classical Comp Chreia/Maxim and second half of WWS 1; Teaching the Classics and Windows to the World

Math - Algebra 1 using Lial's or Dolciani

Science - BJU Earth & Space Science

History - first half of BJU American Republic

Latin - First Form (planned on doing this this year, but it got pushed to the side)

Logic - Traditional Logic 1

I'll give it a go!

Math - Lial's Algebra

English - Thinking AG

LLOTLR - I have not figured out exactly what subjects this covers completely.

Science - Apologia Physical

History - Diana Waring's Acient Civilizations and The Bible

Piano Lessons

Spanish

Home Ec

(I have yet to fit Latin in!!!!) Seems like there is more I am missing.

We might as well round it out with an 8th grade planning thread. :D

I don't see any way to fit everything I would like to include in 8th grade.

Math - Chalkdust Pre-Algebra

English - Galore Park English Year 9, Lingua Mater Americana, 6-8 American Lit books

History - American History - my own plan

Science - ??? I can't decide

Music - Connect the Thoughts: Music Theory 2, American Composers, & Musical Theater Composers plus guitar lessons

Creative Writing - The Creative Writer 2 (if it is out, otherwise Perrine's Lit book) and Connect the Thoughts Creative Writing 4 and 5

Things that probably won't fit:

Geography - Oak Meadow World Geography & Mapping the World with Art

Spanish - Breaking the Barrier 1 or ????

Piano lessons

Do you mind sharing your US History plans? I'm trying to figure out how I want to do a year of US before finishing our 4 year cycle. :)

I'll play!

Algebra 1: Math Without Borders program using Foerster. I also own Structure and Method so we might use that if I can figure out what to do with it.

Lit: Finishing Kolbe 7th&8th grade lit study, with a couple extra tossed in. We will be trying as much as possible to keep to lit from the modern era

History: K12 modern history book plus the Critical Thinking in US History plus History of US (clear as mud, yes?)

Writing: I have no idea where to go after WWS2. I can't imagine SWB is planning to start WWS3 that quickly, but you never know.

Grammar: Rod and Staff

Latin: Finish up Lively Latin 2

Logic: Critical Thinking 2

Science: Physical Science Concepts in Action

Vocabulary: Classical Roots 3&4

Dd is a math lover. She will be testing in December for admission to the math and science charter high school in our area. Even though she is a qualified applicant, she will still be subjected to a lottery of qualified students as we live outside the charter school's district.

Summer AoPS Number theory class (hopefully one will be scheduled)

Math

AoPS Algebra 2 (continuing where she finishes this year)

AoPS Geometry (continuing where she finishes this year)

Science

Physics, algebra-based (still deciding on text), may have her take the AP Physics B exam to provide external validation for placement purposes should she be accepted at the charter school. She will continue with the Science Olympiad team, most likely doing five events again.

History

American history using the K12 text American Odyssey, plus library resources and trips to historic sites (so nice living in the MidAtlantic!)

English

The only certain part is continuing with Word Within the Word 2. I would love to find a literature/writing class for her, as that's my least favorite class to teach.

Foreigh Language

This will definitely be outsourced next year. There are three "university model schools" (I really dislike that term) that offer foreign language. I have to investigate the rigor of the classes and the qualifications of the teachers this winter/spring.

Robotics

Continuing with her FIRST Lego League team for the final year.

Programming

I haven't decided what to use yet. There are so many great free resources available!

Physical Education

She dances four or five days a week. I think that covers it :lol:

Math: TT PreAlgebra

Grammar: Winston Grammar Advanced

Writing: WWS2*

Reading: Various Lit using Socratic discussion

Spelling HTS 4

History: MOH 3 + 4 (if out otherwise undecided)

Science: Apologia's Elem Chemistry/Physics supplemented with other reading.

Vocabulary: Eng from the Roots Up 2

*changed our writing plans from WWS to Essentials in Writing 8

8th grade--

Math-AoPS Intro to Algebra with some supplementing from Dolciani

Latin-Lukeion Latin 2

History-TOG Year 2 (not that I can stop myself from tinkering with it...)

Science-Finish Joy of Science series or Earth Science

Lit-Excellence in Literature Year 1

Writing-WWS

Grammar-Easy Grammar 8

Vocabulary-Wordly Wise 10

and who knows what else will come up...

Currently (always subject to change :D )

Math: Saxon Alg 1 with Art Reed videos

Science: continue our physical science (starts next week) using portions of Hewitt's Conceptual Physics and Suchocki's Conceptual Chemistry. I expect to be completed with the physics portion this semester and summer. If that doesn't last the year, I'm pulling together an Anatomy for the Artist focused on muscular and skeletal systems.

Spanish: Continue Tell Me More Spanish

English: a second class with her current writing teacher, continue Daily Grams, Analogies 2 (if we haven't finished it), Vocab from Classical Roots, not sure what to do with lit. The writing class includes some analysis.

History: Continue with Hakim's History of Us, using k12's Human Odyssey (through the modern one), Netflix videos and lit as supplements

PE: continue aikido 2-3 days per week

Art: continue with her current art teacher, and I may throw in some of the Anatomy for the Artist materials even if we don't get to do a formal semester with them

Music: continue with our current music appreciation activities---attending opera, musical theater, exposure to widely-ranging musical styles

Logic: Art of Argument if I can find all the needed pieces at a good price

Do you mind sharing your US History plans? I'm trying to figure out how I want to do a year of US before finishing our 4 year cycle. :)

I'm afraid my plan won't be very useful to you as dd is doing US History over two years with her sister.

We will be using the Teaching Company lectures - History of the United States, two Howard Zinn texts - A People's History of the United States and Voices, and a writing text called Reading and Writing American History as our spines. We will fill the course out with lots of additional readings: biographies, American literature, a 21-volume set called Annals of American History that is all primary documents, Johnson's A History of the American People, Boorstin's three volume set - The Americans and a whole bunch of documentaries and movies. They will also be taking the CLEP U.S. History 1 exam at the end of the first year and CLEP U.S. History 2 exam at the end of the second year.

Well heck, I'll give it a go! :D

Math: Lial's algebra

Science: BJU Earth and Space

History: The Middle Ages using K12 HO as the spine and lots of books!

Literature: will probably be mostly books related to history studies with a couple of literature guides thrown in

Grammar: AG

Writing: WWS 2

Music: no idea

Art: no idea

Vocabulary: not sure, maybe VfCR book B

Logic: no idea

Latin: hah. We'll see. We have tried all year to get in to Latin, and it hasn't happened yet.

That's all I've got.

I've been agonizing over next years choices. It's becoming obvious that this DD does better with outside teachers for some subjects.

English: Outside class, undetermined at this point

Math: Jacob's Geometry Honor class with current teacher, AoPS Algebra I or II depending on what she does over the summer (currently doing second half of Foerster Algebra I in an Honors class)

Science: Chemistry, trying to decide if I want to use Conceptual Chemistry, another text, or have her take an outside class, NUMATS is off the table because of cost

History: Ancients (I've used TOG up until now but she has done most of the D lit already for this year plan with SL Core 6, this might be an advantage if we do outside lit)

Foreign Language: leaning toward Latin 1

History: Omnibus Primary II with VPSA

Literature: Omnibus Secondary II with VPSA

Grammar & Writing: Rod & Staff English 8

Latin: Latin II with VPSA

Science: BJU Physical Science

Logic: Memoria Press Traditional Logic II

Math: I have no idea what geometry program to use. Jacobs? Saxon? Ds has been doing very well with Foerster, but I am feeling my confidence drop with each passing chapter.

Modern Language: Ds has taken French 5th-7th grade, but wants to take Russian. I'm not sure what to do. Do we just stop French and wait until 9th to begin Russian?

This is the plan for now:

Math: Probably Math Without Borders Geometry

History/Literature: TOG year 3 but I will also use parts of Windows To the World

Writing: Lost Tools of Writing I, Killgallon Sentence Composing for Middle School

Grammar: Rod and Staff 8

Vocabulary: Rummy Roots and Vocabulary Cartoons:SAT Word Power

French: We will probably finish up French 1 using EZ French and the open source Carnegie Melon course. Then we will move on to French 2 or review until I'm sure he has French I.

Science: Middle School Chemistry plus units on Light and Sound using Science Explorer Physical Science and TOPS.

Logic: Probably James Nance's Intro to Logic as I own it.

Current plans, subject to change:

Literature: Excellence in Literature's Introduction to Lit; possibly Windows to the World

Writing: Writing with Skill 2 (second half); possibly Lively Art of Writing if WWS3 isn't available

Grammar: Growing with Grammar 8

Vocabulary: Vocabulary from Classical Roots C & D

Math: Lial's Pre-algebra

Science: CPO Physical Science

History: K12 Human Odyssey book 3

Logic: Discovery of Deduction

Spanish: possibly Tell Me More, still looking into other options

Art/Music: finishing the history/appreciation study we started for this rotation

Latin: not even sure we'll be doing it; she burned out part way through LP 3 and still needs to decide if she wants to continue

Current plans, subject to change:

Literature: Excellence in Literature's Introduction to Lit; possibly Windows to the World

May I ask why you are doing Excellence in Literature's Intro to Lit before Windows to the World? Is WttW supposed to be more rigorous than the EinLit program?

I'm asking because I'm trying to think through my own plans for progression through 8th grade and these are two programs I'm looking at for 8th.

Thx!

May I ask why you are doing Excellence in Literature's Intro to Lit before Windows to the World? Is WttW supposed to be more rigorous than the EinLit program?

I'm asking because I'm trying to think through my own plans for progression through 8th grade and these are two programs I'm looking at for 8th.

Thx!

Actually, I'm debating on whether to use them together. I know there's someone else on the boards who has done it, can't remember exactly who, but she mentioned it in one of the EIL threads. I've also considered using just the TTC/WttW syllabus, but dd saw EIL and really wants to do it. I figure in the end I'll just pick up both and go from there.

I'm not sure if EIL would be considered less rigorous than WttW or just different. I know WttW does go through the process of writing a literary analysis paper, plus a lot more.

HTH

writing...IEW...Medieval
math...MUS finishing up Epsilon starting Pre-Algebra
vocabulary...Voc from Classical Roots study
literature... Teaching the Classics 6 weeks study and EIL Intro to Lit
grammar...EG8 Ultimate and Winston Advanced
science...PH CIA Physical Science w/ Logos Science PS lab kit
history...Spielvogel's World History: The Human Odyssey with supplements for MARR
Bible...Meade's OT/NT survey
trumpet with concert band

Actually, I'm debating on whether to use them together. I know there's someone else on the boards who has done it, can't remember exactly who, but she mentioned it in one of the EIL threads. I've also considered using just the TTC/WttW syllabus, but dd saw EIL and really wants to do it. I figure in the end I'll just pick up both and go from there.

I'm not sure if EIL would be considered less rigorous than WttW or just different. I know WttW does go through the process of writing a literary analysis paper, plus a lot more.

HTH

Somewhere out there or possibly on an earlier thread was a syllabus for combining the two. Or at least I have a vague memory of something like that...

Although I may have been thinking of this syllabus from Jill Pike.

If I survive 7th grade here is what we are doing for 8th grade-

Saxon Math 1/2 (whatever comes after 87 and before Algebra 1)

Spanish 1 (University of Missouri high school)

Latin Alive 1

Science-not sure, maybe University of Missouri but leaning towards Oak Meadow

History (university of missouri middle school) or Oak Meadow (my backup plan)

English (university of missouri middle school)

We take art classes (2x/week) at an art school and ice skate (3X/week) plus go to the gym 4-5 days/week.

Our plans are still very open...but here is what we have so far:

Math: VT Interactive Algebra

English: R&S 8 and Vocabulary from Classical Roots

History: American (haven't chosen resource yet!)

Science: BJU Earth and Space

F.L.: French?

Music: piano/clarinet

Still working on other details!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well here is my current plan

Math: Algebra 1 (Saxon)

Science: Physical science (Apologia)

Geography (Runkle's geography)

English - Intro to Lit by SMARR

Latin -- we will do this but I'm not certain with what (She is finishing Latina Christiana II)

Logic -- something

Art--color theory (intro to painting class)

Choir

Piano

Bible -- we are working through some worldview things and will continue. She also does AWANA

I hope I'm not forgetting anything. Any glaring holes?

1) Medieval History & Literature - Oxford University Press & Famous Men as spine, lots of movies, lots of living history books. I already have some work trips scheduled to Europe, so we will be visiting castles! Might do LLOTR as a literature component, otherwise just lots of books that align with the period under study.

2) Algebra - LOF Algebra, plus Zaccaro books. Periodically drop "traditional" algebra textbooks on him to make sure he can handle them.

3) Geography/Art: Mapping the World by Heart - I am SO psyched about knowing the world by heart. Maybe the kid is too!

3) Lively Latin Big Book 2

4) German - Rosetta Stone

5) Physics - LOF Elementary Physics. Backyard Ballistics. Quick Study Projects for some electronics fun? Not sure what else, need to figure it out.

6) Writing with Skill 2 & Bravewriter (Lifestyle/online classes). We are doing WWS1 now, and will do a Bravewriter class later this 7th grade spring. DS is an excellent freewriter, and I think BW will work well for him. WWS does not let him freewrite, but he needs its outlining skills.

I think I have my plans settled. A few subjects need to be fleshed out a bit more.

Math - finishing MUS Zeta and moving into Pre-Algebra

Foriegn Language - Continuing with Irasshai (Japanese)

History - Notgrass America the Beautiful

Science - Computer Science (Still putting this together...so far all I have listed are the lectures on Kahn.)

Language Arts will include -

Writing - WWS1/ WWS2

Literature - EIL Introduction to Literature

Grammar - Completing AG then Killgallon to finish out the year

Vocab - Sadlier Oxford

Art - She'll continue honing her skills daily (she's working on perfecting hands right now, and may be for awhile) in addition to a 6 week Manga course and working through Khan's Art History lectures.

Here is our plan for 8th grade; subject to change

English: finish SWO and start Vocabulary from Classical Roots, continue with WWS 1 and move on to WWS 2

Literature: Great Books class with Escondido Tutorials (this is a 5 year program which is why he'll start in 8th grade)

Math: NEM1

German: OSU German I

History: Revolution and constitution class with coop; finish SOTW 4

Science: ?

Art: ?

Music: Piano

Logic: continue Mindbenders, Building Thinking Skills, Critical Thinking and Critical Thinking in US History

We're finishing 8th grade, but I'll throw in what we did:

Math: Lial's Introductory Algebra

Science: DIVE ICP

History: NROC AP US History 1 w/America A Narrative History

LA: LL8, WW8, Lively Art of Writing, AG

BTB French 1 (just 2 chapters left and this has gone REALLY well)

Band: private school flute; drum lessons & worship band

Gymnastics

As of now........

Writing: Writing with Skill 2, Creative Writer 2

Grammar: AG Season 3, then ?

Vocabulary: Caesar's English II

Math: Geometry (most likely Discovering Geometry), AoPS Intro to Algebra (for review & polishing skills)

Science: Physics....not sure what yet

History: K12 Human Odyssey vol 3

Logic: ?

Art: at co-op

Music: piano lessons

PE: gymnastics, homeschool PE class at local Y, Irish dance

Pretty sure this is what we will do:

Math-TT pre algebra/supplement with Kahn

Science- Exploration Education upper level

History-History Makers or local world history class

Writing-IEW class

Poetry-

Language Arts- Free McMillan Spelling power and Vocab power, Daily Grammar

Foreign Language-intro to Spanish through Song School Spanish that the youngers will do

Art/Music-Harmony Fine Arts and Mark Kistler

PE-ballet, tap, jazz, lyrical, competition classes=7 hours per week

Sewing class every monday for 1 hour

Math: TT PreAlgebra

Grammar: Winston Grammar Advanced

Writing: WWS2*

Reading: Various Lit using Socratic discussion

Spelling HTS 4

History: MOH 3 + 4 (if out otherwise undecided)

Science: Apologia's Elem Chemistry/Physics supplemented with other reading.

Vocabulary: Eng from the Roots Up 2

*changed our writing plans from WWS to Essentials in Writing 8

Do you or anyone else have any information on when the Apologia Elem Chemistry/Physics book will be coming out?

Already making changes for next year!

Dd is a math lover. She will be testing in December for admission to the math and science charter high school in our area. Even though she is a qualified applicant, she will still be subjected to a lottery of qualified students as we live outside the charter school's district.

Summer AoPS Number theory class (hopefully one will be scheduled)

She will be taking the AoPS Geometry class from March through September.

Math

AoPS Algebra 2 (continuing where she finishes this year)

AoPS Geometry (continuing where she finishes this year)

She'll continue with Algebra 2 and do all of Number Theory.

Science

Physics, algebra-based (still deciding on text), may have her take the AP Physics B exam to provide external validation for placement purposes should she be accepted at the charter school. She will continue with the Science Olympiad team, most likely doing five events again.

History

American history using the K12 text American Odyssey, plus library resources and trips to historic sites (so nice living in the MidAtlantic!)

I'll add in some AP US History DBQs to be done (untimed!) at least a few times each semester.

English

The only certain part is continuing with Word Within the Word 2. I would love to find a literature/writing class for her, as that's my least favorite class to teach.

Foreigh Language

This will definitely be outsourced next year. There are three "university model schools" (I really dislike that term) that offer foreign language. I have to investigate the rigor of the classes and the qualifications of the teachers this winter/spring.

Robotics

Continuing with her FIRST Lego League team for the final year.

Programming

I haven't decided what to use yet. There are so many great free resources available!

Physical Education

She dances four or five days a week. I think that covers it :lol:

I am not settled on everything yet, but here's what I'm thinking for next year for DS13:

1. History: SCM History module 5

2. Literature: As many books from the SCM list that we can squeeze in, including some from The Chronicles of Narnia series since we haven't gotten to those yet!

Grammar: I'm thinking KISS or maybe Daily Grammar (both are free, I've tried both with DS9 and prefer Daily Grammar; DS13 is doing Easy Grammar this year but doesn't really like it)

Vocab: Undecided

3. Science: I'll be teaching a Robotics class at his co-op next year, but I'm also considering getting him into the Apologia Physical Science class there too.

4. Math: MUS Zeta- He'll be finishing this up as we enter the new school year. He has dyscalculia and will greatly benefit from continuing math year round. After that, we will move onto MUS Pre-Algebra OR I'm considering doing Teaching Textbooks with him at that point. Again, I'm undecided.

5. Spanish: We'll be getting the book from our local PS

6. Art: Adventures in Art

Guest Carolinagirlinny

As of right now we are going to continue on strengthening some areas before high school

SO-

Math- Lial's BCM

Self-paced Omnibus I Primary

Omnibus I Secondary at our own

VP Grammar & Writing Transitions Class online

Science- still deciding

Spanish- continue with RS

• 1 month later...

Anyone else revising plans? My new plans:

2013-2014

Introduction to Literature Analysis and Academic Writing
Beowulf translated by Burton Raffel
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
The Hobbit BY J.R.R. Tolkien
Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne
The Giver by Lois Lowry
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Animal Farm by George Orwell
Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis

Analytical Grammar

Geometry
Geometry: Seeing, Doing, Understanding, 3rd edition by Harold Jacobs

Latin I
Wheelock Latin
38 Latin Stories

Logic
The Fallacy Detective (once a week)

Chemistry
Introductory Chemistry: A Foundation 6th edition by Zumdahl
The Home Scientist Chemistry Lab

Ancient History
The History of the Ancient World by Susan Wise Bauer
Western Civilization by Speilvogel
These Were the Greeks
These Were the Romans

Ancient Egyptian Literature: An Anthology (TOG U1)
The Cats of Bubastes: A Tale of Ancient Egypt (TOG U1 alternative)

The Analects (TOG U2 R)
The Iliad (TOG U2 R)
Odyssey (TOG U2 R) or The Wandering of Odysseus (TOG U2 D)

Parts of the following (TOG U3 R): 

Euripides III

Aeschylus I

Sophocles I

The Aeneid (TOG U4 R)
The Ides of April (TOG U4 D)
Beyond the Desert Gate

Edited by melmichigan

We've made changes since January as well.

Math - Saxon Algebra 1/2

Science - Kolbe Physical Science +TOPS Chemistry / Physics labs

English - Movies as Literature, Hake Grammar 8

Spanish - Breaking the Spanish Barrier 1

History & Humanities - TRISMS Rise of Nations (2nd semester) & own American history plan + U.S. History 1 CLEP

6 credits total

Extras -

guitar lessons / performances

acting lessons / performances

Here are my plans and a question or two:

History: Core 100 from Sonlight

Science: Apologia Physical Science

Math: Math*U*See pre-algebra

Grammar: Analytical Grammar

Bible: Sonlight

Vocabulary: Wordly Wise Book 8

Logic: here is my question: What is the difference between Critical Thinking books one and two and Analogies 1? I can't decide which to use and don't want to overwhelm my son. We have struggled in the past with overwhelming subjects and had to scrap those subjects altogether. He is a bright boy, but could use a confidence boosting subject. Is Critical Thinking an intese book that should wait until later high school years? Any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Math: Lial's Prealgebra + some Zaccaro books.

English: MCT Level 4

History: K12's Human Odyssey volume 2, various TC lectures (She loves these!)

Science: Science Fusion modules D & F (maybe one more if there's time)

Art: Meet the Master's as an art history component with selected projects (the ones she wants to do) and Atelier Level 6.

Literature: Probably just a few books Teaching the Classics style.

A few random enrichment classes at our co-op.

Revising ;)

Currently (always subject to change :D )

Math: Saxon Alg 1 with Art Reed videos

Science: continue our physical science (starts next week) using portions of Hewitt's Conceptual Physics and Suchocki's Conceptual Chemistry. I expect to be completed with the physics portion this semester and summer. If that doesn't last the year, I'm pulling together an Anatomy for the Artist focused on muscular and skeletal systems. Now watching Louis Bloomfield's How Things Work videos through Coursera (first 2 chapters) then will start Plato Physical Science soon

Spanish: Continue Tell Me More Spanish and Duolingo Spanish

English: a second class with her current writing teacher, continue Daily Grams, Analogies 2 (if we haven't finished it), Vocab from Classical Roots, not sure what to do with lit. The writing class includes some analysis. Decided to fill some holes with The Bible and Its Influence from the Bible Literacy Project---a secular text for use in public schools---for lit

History: Continue with Hakim's History of Us, using k12's Human Odyssey (through the modern one), Netflix videos and lit as supplements looks like we may finish early, if so, we'll go to something for geography

PE: continue aikido 2-3 days per week

Art: continue with her current art teacher, and I may throw in some of the Anatomy for the Artist materials even if we don't get to do a formal semester with them

Music: continue with our current music appreciation activities---attending opera, musical theater, exposure to widely-ranging musical styles

Logic: Art of Argument if I can find all the needed pieces at a good price

We'll likely be starting with a new co-op next year so I'll have to see in June which enrichment classes are available and what that does to our schedule She also wants to start volunteering with the Humane Society as well as do more backstage work with our local community theater (she's just started this with their current production and loves it).