Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - Week two

Robin M

Note to Newbies: Please do not continue conversations in the old thread. You can quote or multiquote from the old thread to this one. Each week the conversation will continue in the new thread posted on Sundays with a link back to the old thread to look at it and review. Appreciate it - Thank you!

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Shoeless Joe. I really enjoyed it, but it's hard to say what I would have thought it if I hadn't seen Field of Dreams. I kept seeing the movie in my head instead of creating my own movie. Stacia, I believe this book qualifies as magical realism. :001_smile:

Up next: The Paris Wife. It wasn't what I planned to read next, but the library notice for the Kindle book came in an email this morning. E-books can only be checked out for 2 weeks, with no renewals.

I'm also still plugging away at Democracy in America. I never expected to read it in a week, but I also didn't expect it to be as slow going as it is.

I will be interested to see what you think of The Paris Wife. I also checked it out on the kindle from the library; it's on of the few I didn't finish. It was like watching a car crash in slow motion for me. I knew what was going to happen, the inevitable was coming, and I just gave it back. I think especially knowing the story ends, and there were (at least) a couple suicides within the family (not necessarily related) - it just seemed a bit too voyeuristic for me I guess. Well written in my memory though. Obviously I have a double standard because I loved Loving Frank and it's just as if not more tragic.

Up next: The Paris Wife. It wasn't what I planned to read next, but the library notice for the Kindle book came in an email this morning. E-books can only be checked out for 2 weeks, with no renewals.

That's next for me, too!

ETA: Actually, scratch that... I just discovered Open Library, and ended up borrowing "S Is for Space" by Ray Bradbury. So I'll read that first so it doesn't expire on me. :)

I just finished my second book "Murder Must Advertise" by Dorothy Sayers. I had never had a chance to read that one and enjoyed it.

I picked "Merry Christmas Alex Cross" up at the library today. So I guess that one is next. Wish it had came before xmas!

I am also reading "My Familiar Stranger--A Paranormal Romance (order of the black swan #1) which is actually quite good. Decided to try it because it was free and the second book was a free for Prime on the Kindle. They are by Victoria Danann. I love vampire fiction but my usual fair is more Sookie Stachouse type. These have time travel and alternate universes so different for me.

I finished The Corrections today. I wasn't fond of the writing style but overall the book was good. Good enough for me to forgo watching tv the last few nights. On Tues/Thurs my kids have swimming lessons for 2 hours so I have plenty of reading time then. I'm still working on The Art of Racing in the Rain and I checked out Flight Behavior, Prodigal Summer, and The Round House from the library.

An actual CD or on your portable player? If on your portable player you need to make sure that you load to your player as an audio book and not as music. Many audio books automatically transfer as music for whatever reason. So check to make sure the file says "audio book" before you transfer it. You can change it directly right before transferring if your using an MP3 player or on iPod you have to change it in iTunes.

It's on my iPod. I've tried every variation I could think of - changing the media type, making it a playlist - nothing is working. Best I can tell is that the person who originally had the CDs didn't import them correctly, so without doing some type of converting/joining in my own program I think I'm out of luck. I don't even have a clue where to start to do something like that.

Since it works just fine in iTunes (of course!), I may be able to install iTunes on my tablet and copy over just the audio book (it's 1.08GB in 659 tracks) so I can play it from the tablet in the car. I'll have to try that later.

Finally!

I finally posted my review of Switch (from week 1) to my virgin blog. I'm going to have to learn not to agonize over the wording and just hit publish. At least I managed to write it before week 2 is officially over. This week I read (almost done) In the Beginning...A Catholic Understanding of the story of Creation and the Fall. I have decided on 3 of the 5 categories I'd like to include in the 5/5/5 mini-challenge: books on Catholicism, Classics and Agatha Christie novels. The only one of hers I've read in the recent past is Ten Little Indians.

My neighborhood book club is meeting at my house tomorrow night. I'm looking forward to seeing what is chosen...most of the books have been pretty light so far.

Technical question: How do I add a picture of Mr. Linky onto the sidebar of my blog like I've seen on others?

I had no idea it was a book. I love the movie. I've seen it many times.

I love the movie version with Rosalind Russell so I read Auntie Mame: An Irreverent Escapade last year and I hated it! It was really bad. It joins Sense and Sensibility and The Princess Diaries on my very short list of movies that are way better than the books they were based on!

Thanks floridamom, our library does occasionally have sales but they're usually not very good. There used to be a wonderful second hand bookstore near my highschool, I spent many hours in there and found some gems, alas, they closed down. I'm sure I'll find one one day...

I read something in your blog post that I'm going to respond to here. You wrote that you don't have any used book stores near you. That is sad, I agree. We're fortunate to have one in our city (though the hours are inconsistent) and one or two in nearby cities.

Does your library ever have a book sale? Ours has sales a few times a year. They sell books that were pulled from the shelves, and some that were donated but not put on the shelf. Some people donate books specifically for the sale to help raise money for the library. Most items are organized but they always have a few bargain boxes of books. It's not quite the same as a used book store but close. Just thought I'd mention it.

My books from amazon arrived, so my next reads are The Musician's Way and Pianism! Exciting, they look great!

Finished listening to Mr Briggs' Hat (real-life Victorian murder mystery) in week 1. Should finish Busman's Honeymoon this week. Have started listening to Bad Pharma (dissection of the way the pharmaceutical industry 'deals' with research and influences the medical community) but it's 500 pages long, so it will have to count for more than one week. Maybe I'll manage a lightweight bedtime book for next week. I'm thinking of re-reading Notwithstanding, which is a series of linked short stories set in an English village, by Louis de Bernieres. So, so far:

Week 1: Mr Briggs' Hat.

Laura

Read Ballet Beautiful last night. I'd like to try some of her DVDs. Some things I didn't agree with in her book such as drinking soy milk or skim milk and stretching before exercise.

I love the movie version with Rosalind Russell so I read Auntie Mame: An Irreverent Escapade last year and I hated it! It was really bad. It joins Sense and Sensibility and The Princess Diaries on my very short list of movies that are way better than the books they were based on!

Add The Princess Bride to that list. I did not enjoy the book as much as the movie. Oh, and The Count of Monte Cristo....movie way better.

Finished The Handmaid's Tale and Book Two of Herodotus. Read a little of The King Must Die, the last in a series of historical fiction about England and Scotland during the period of Robert the Bruce and Edward Longshanks (and his heirs).

At least I've got one book finished, finally!

Completed:

Book #4 - "The Miracle of Speedy Motors" by Alexander McCall Smith.

Book #3 - "The Good Husband of Zebra Drive" by Alexander McCall Smith.

Book #2 - "Blue Shoes and Happiness" by Alexander McCall Smith.

Book #1 - "In the Company of Cheerful Ladies" by Alexander McCall Smith.

I finished Herzog (book 2), for the Canadian challenge. I liked it enough to finish, but by the end, had decided I didn't really like it.

I also decided on my 5/5/5 categories: classics, education related, new to me authors (1 finished), just for fun, and free on kindle.

I don't know, since I haven't read the book.

Okay, for some reason I thought you'd said you'd read it & watched the movie, but I must have been mixing up different threads (perhaps I was having a migrane, which can be a valid reason, or perhaps I just made a mistake for no good reason at all!)

Finally got my thoughts about The Handmaid's Tale up on my blog (review linked). Religion, politics, and gender issues all rolled up into one book -- oy!! Methinks that any discussion of that novel on these boards would get a thread locked so fast our virtual heads would spin. :boxing_smiley: Also finished this week, Murder in the Cathedral by T.S. Eliot, a play for my 5/5/5 Challenge (review linked). Now off to read some fluff.....

You deserve to read some fluff after that.

Read Ballet Beautiful last night. I'd like to try some of her DVDs. Some things I didn't agree with in her book such as drinking soy milk or skim milk and stretching before exercise. Add The Princess Bride to that list. I did not enjoy the book as much as the movie. Oh, and The Count of Monte Cristo....movie way better.

Did you read the books first or watch the movie first?

Barnes and Noble Free Nook Friday - Just One of the Guys by Kristan Higgins

I read this in paper; it's a pleasant contemporary romance.

Recently finished Jennifer Ashley's Mate Claimed which is fourth in her paranormal Shifters Unbound series. I enjoyed it and am now looking forward to reading the second, third and subsequent books. She's also a favorite historical romance author of mine, and I'm awaiting the library's copy of her newest book The Seduction of Elliot McBride (Mackenzies Series).

Regards,

Kareni

Finished The Perfect Health Diet by Paul Jaminet (Paleo-style plus potatoes/rice - lots of science talk). The premise is to optimize nutrients going into your body for as nearly a perfect balance as possible, so it also has supplement advice, including which nutrients are best from food, & which may need supplementing (he doesn't sell supplements himself, which I like).

51AHwQW%2BtCL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-65,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Now I'm reading The Mousetrap by Ruth Hanka Eigner. This is about a German girl who lives in Czechoslovakia. She is about 19 when WWII ends, and the Germans are getting rough treatment by the Czechs (payback). I'm 19% in and so far I like it quite a bit. Here's the blurb on Amazon:

Ruth Hanka Eigner (1926 - 2010), who eventually immigrated to the United States and converted to Judaism, was one of many Germans living in the Czechoslovak Republic (Hitler's Sudetenland) for nearly a millenium. In The Mousetrap -- winner of the 2003 San Diego Book Award for an Unpublished Memoir -- she tells the harrowing true story of her experiences as a young Bohemian woman in the years after the Second World War ended. She tells of the understandable brutality with which she and her family and friends were treated after the Germans lost the war. She also tells the story of a mother-daughter relationship that, because of the terrible times in which they lived, threatened to kill them both. At the time of her death, Ruth had nearly completed the next portion of her autobiography, which is currently being prepared for publication.

41HTMXHiBhL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-71,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

So far:

#1 Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey

#2 My Dear Charlotte

#3 The Perfect Health Diet

#4 The Mousetrap

Yay. Finally finished my first book of 2013: Women of the Klondike by Frances Backhouse. I found it to be a well-written, straightforward account of women in the Klondike, mostly during the gold rush years of the late 1800s/early 1900s. Backhouse covers all types of women... adventurers who went seeking gold, journalists, entertainers (running the gamut from singers to prostitutes), nuns, nurses, teachers, accountants, secretaries, business investors & managers, tourists, & more.

The version of the book I read was a later edition because the back includes an epilogue where she talks about families that contacted her after the first release of the book & provided additional info/letters/family history on some of the women in her book.

Especially fascinating if you like history, genealogy, &/or women's history.

FYI, I looked up some of Backhouse's source materials. If you are interested, one of them is currently free on amazon Kindle: A Woman who went to Alaska by May Kellogg Sullivan. Sullivan was briefly covered in the chapter about women who went to the Klondike mostly as tourists. I haven't read Sullivan's book (yet), but thought I'd mention it since it is currently available for free download.

--------------------------

My Goodreads Page

My PaperbackSwap Page

Working on Robin's Dusty &/or Chunky Book Challenge. (Book #1 on my list.)

Working on Robin's Continental Challenge. (Book #1 on my list.)

Working on LostSurprise's Dewey Decimal Challenge. Complete Dewey Decimal Classification List here. (Book #1 on my list.)

My rating system:

5 = Love; 4 = Pretty awesome; 3 = Decently good; 2 = Ok; 1 = Don't bother (I shouldn't have any 1s on my list as I would ditch them before finishing)...

2013 Books Read:

01. Women of the Klondike by Frances Backhouse (3 stars). Fits challenges: Dusty; Continental/North America; Dewey Decimal Class 900.

Finally!

I finally posted my review of Switch (from week 1) to my virgin blog. I'm going to have to learn not to agonize over the wording and just hit publish. At least I managed to write it before week 2 is officially over. This week I read (almost done) In the Beginning...A Catholic Understanding of the story of Creation and the Fall. I have decided on 3 of the 5 categories I'd like to include in the 5/5/5 mini-challenge: books on Catholicism, Classics and Agatha Christie novels. The only one of hers I've read in the recent past is Ten Little Indians.

My neighborhood book club is meeting at my house tomorrow night. I'm looking forward to seeing what is chosen...most of the books have been pretty light so far.

Technical question: How do I add a picture of Mr. Linky onto the sidebar of my blog like I've seen on others?

I might keep an eye on what you read because I was considering reading some Catholicism books among other religious books.

Publisher Weekly Can You Guess These Classic Covers My review of Neuromanceris now up on my blog.

The covers were fun, even if I was completely terrible at guessing them. :tongue_smilie: (I did get the first one, then it went entirely downhill from there....). Neuromancer sounds neat -- I requested it from the library but don't know if I'll get around to reading it anytime soon.

I just finished The Kabul Beauty School and liked it quite a lot. Sometimes, I wondered why the author did some of the things she did, but hey, different strokes for different folks!

I read that quite a few years ago & felt very agitated at the author by the time I finished. Imo, she probably endangered more than one woman's life by her book.... :thumbdown:

I finished Shoeless Joe. I really enjoyed it, but it's hard to say what I would have thought it if I hadn't seen Field of Dreams. I kept seeing the movie in my head instead of creating my own movie. Stacia, I believe this book qualifies as magical realism. :001_smile:

Ah, thanks for the note. Would I like Shoeless Joe if I don't care one single whit for baseball??? (I've never see Field of Dreams either.)

Finally got my thoughts about The Handmaid's Tale up on my blog (review linked). Religion, politics, and gender issues all rolled up into one book -- oy!! Methinks that any discussion of that novel on these boards would get a thread locked so fast our virtual heads would spin. :boxing_smiley: Also finished this week, Murder in the Cathedral by T.S. Eliot, a play for my 5/5/5 Challenge (review linked). Now off to read some fluff.....

Enjoyed reading your reviews! I tried The Handmaid's Tale many years ago, but never managed to finish it as I found it so disturbing + I don't like Atwood's writing style.

However, I remember loving Murder in the Cathedral when I read it so many, many years ago. I should try to dig out my old copy & read it again sometime....

Working: Elizabeth and Her German Garden (Europe)

The Museum of Hoaxes (Dewey Decimal challenge)

Looking forward to your reviews of both of these. I enjoyed von Arnim's The Enchanted April. Wondering if I would enjoy her German Garden book too. The Museum of Hoaxes looks like a perfect book for my sister (that I would get her, read first, & then give to her http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smilielol5.gif ).

Trying to push through the beginning of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. This is one of those books that I feel like I should like -- that I probably will like -- if I can just get into it. I am on page 80 and contemplating tossing it back on the stack because it's just d-r-a-g-g-i-n-g. (I've also encountered a character who reminds me too much of Mr Skimpole from Bleak House. Ick.) Who has finished this one? When does it get good?

Oh, that's disappointing to hear. It's one of those books I've never read but that has been on my perennial 'to-read' list & I keep thinking it's something I'd love. (Of course, I still haven't gotten around to reading it....)

Is it weird that I'm interested in what other people check out from the library? LOL

Yep.

(I like to see what others are reading too. Isn't that why we have this thread in the first place???)

My maternal grandparents lived in Whitehorse for a number of years, & my first plane ride was to that airport (I don't remember it as I was 2, nor do I remember the next flight even though I remember the trip, which is odd, since flying wasn't as common yet and it was only my second plane trip.)

Neat!

Okay, now I have Handmaid's Tale on my TBR list. Not sure when I'll get to it, but I am now intrigued.

As for my reading this week, I'm still working through my stack that I posted last week. I got a little sidetracked reading French Kids Eat Everything by Karen Le Billon. Not sure why, my kids are great eaters. But it caught my fancy one evening and the next thing I knew I was nearly finished with the book. Turns out I agreed, and already practice, much of what as in the book. Maybe I'm part French somewhere in there :D

My finished book still stand at a big zero. But at least I've got 5-6 started :) Hopefully I'll be back before the week's end to post some completed titles.

Sounds like an interesting book and will have to check it out. Thank you for seeing my note and posting in the new thread. Please ignore the pm - I was a tiny bit frustrated. :grouphug:

Recently finished Jennifer Ashley's Mate Claimed which is fourth in her paranormal Shifters Unbound series. I enjoyed it and am now looking forward to reading the second, third and subsequent books. She's also a favorite historical romance author of mine, and I'm awaiting the library's copy of her newest book The Seduction of Elliot McBride (Mackenzies Series).

Regards,

Kareni

I'm hooked, her next Shifters Unbound books come out in April and June. I hope they are as good.

Regards,

Kareni

Ashley's series sounds a bit like Lora Leigh's Breed series which I thoroughly enjoyed. Will have to check her out.

Started a bit late.... but better late than never. ;)

I read The 4 Hour Chef for my first book this year. I... enjoyed it. Tim Ferriss has a very engaging way of writing, and I'm learning a lot of little things about both cooking and learning that I didn't know beforehand (I'm terrible at cooking).

I haven't done many of the actual cooking exercises yet, but I'm hoping to be able to do some soon and get my confidence up.

I will read two books next week, if possible, to catch up to all of you. :)

I just finished Mr. Rosenblum Dreams in English and give it 3 Stars.

:seeya: , Negin. Good to see you back on the boards!

They have a wiki of suggestions. The list of each of the sections is on the right side. http://www.libraryth...nge/suggestions I don't like to pick mine out ahead of time unless I have it on a reading list.

Thanks for the link.

Like you, I probably won't pick mine out ahead of time -- just wander the library aisles & see what looks interesting.

It went pretty well! For the first 20 minutes of walking/listening I found my mind wandering, which is why I'm such an awful auditory learner. I thrive as a visual learner, and I've noticed as I've gotten older (I'm almost 50) that my attention span for auditory input is getting worse. So I really want to focus on audio books and see if I can reverse that trend. The last 40 minutes were much better - I even walked slower towards the end so I could hear more of the story. This is good motivation for me to get out and walk, too, so I'm only listening to it while I'm exercising. Already looking forward to tomorrow's walk, and that never happens. :tongue_smilie:

This sounds like me. I find listening to audio pretty hard. If I were walking, I'd probably have to stop, shut my eyes, & concentrate a lot in order to actually follow the story. :tongue_smilie: Kudos on working on your new skill! :thumbup1:

I hoard books with good intentions. I really do mean to read them eventually. Unfortunately my house is small and it has come down to space for books vs. living space for family members. My goal this year is to actually read the books I've bought and gathered over the years and then pass them on to other book lovers. It's time to declutter the books, but I want to read them first before I send them away.

I've cleaned out a lot of my book collection over the years, but have had a bit pile up because of being on PaperbackSwap. So, I'd like to go through my piles of those, then let them move onto the next reader....

I read that quite a few years ago & felt very agitated at the author by the time I finished. Imo, she probably endangered more than one woman's life by her book.... :thumbdown:

She admits to as much on her blog (and I assume in the afterword of later editions of the book, which she mentions on her blog, too). Really a shame. I would be interested in a "where are they now" update on the women--even anonymously.

I just finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Whew! I feel so strange trying to process the end of this series. I really liked the ending, but there were parts that surprised me. I am not a fantasy reader. I only started HP so that I could decide if it is something that I want ds to read (I do!). I will admit that there were parts of the series that I found boring (no tomatoes, please) and I didn't have that "can't put the book down" feeling that I know so many others had with HP. But man, what a well-written series! I can totally see how HP got kids reading again (isn't that what they say?). I bought all of the movies over Christmas and my next plan is to watch all eight of them. And is it weird that I kind of want to read the series again?

She admits to as much on her blog (and I assume in the afterword of later editions of the book, which she mentions on her blog, too). Really a shame. I would be interested in a "where are they now" update on the women--even anonymously.

[FYI, since the thread is getting so long, my post is in reply/about "Kabul Beauty School" by Deborah Rodriguez.]

Hmmm.

I think she was so irresponsible in the way that she reported things. I think that she not only endangered people she specifically profiled (even if she 'renamed' the person), she may have endangered innocent people (who would become suspected of being her anonymous profilees), kwim?

I didn't know she had a blog. I think I must have read her first edition of the book. I read it years ago, around the time it first came out, because my book club selected it. I, too, would be curious to see a current update on the people she profiled in her book (because I hope their lives have turned out ok rather than them being killed in honor killings or suffering in other ways, especially if the suffering or killing was based on things she wrote in her book).

Ugh. That book & author really, really bothered me.

I have now started Equator by Miguel Sousa Tavares.

It is 1905 and Luis Bernardo Valenca, a thirty-seven-year-old bachelor and owner of a small shipping company, is revelling in LisbonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s luxurious high society. But his life is turned upside down when King Dom Carlos invites him to become governor of PortugalĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s smallest colony, the island of SĂƒÂ£o TomĂƒÂ© e Principe. Luis Bernardo is ill-prepared for the challenges of plantation life Ă¢â‚¬â€œ used to a softer urban existence, he is shocked by the conditions under which the workers labour.

But with the English closing in on SĂƒÂ£o TomĂƒÂ©Ă¢â‚¬â„¢s cocoa plantations, the islandĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s main means of survival, Luis Bernardo must endeavour to protect the island and its community.

I finished Book 3 late last night, Pride and Predator by Sally S Wright. Don't tell anyone, but I might love Ben Reese more than I love Peter Wimsey, although they have some similar characteristics (including Post Traumatic Stress from war). Ben's so much more rugged American. Sayers' writing is better, and definitely influential, but I do like Ben.

Book Reviews

1. The White Horse King: The Life of Alfred the Great by Benjamin Merkle

2. Publish and Perish by Sally S Wright

3. Pride and Predator by Sally S Wright

I just finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Whew! I feel so strange trying to process the end of this series. I really liked the ending, but there were parts that surprised me. I am not a fantasy reader. I only started HP so that I could decide if it is something that I want ds to read (I do!). I will admit that there were parts of the series that I found boring (no tomatoes, please) and I didn't have that "can't put the book down" feeling that I know so many others had with HP. But man, what a well-written series! I can totally see how HP got kids reading again (isn't that what they say?). I bought all of the movies over Christmas and my next plan is to watch all eight of them. And is it weird that I kind of want to read the series again?

No

Would I like Shoeless Joe if I don't care one single whit for baseball??? (I've never see Field of Dreams either.)

It's hard to say. There is a lot of baseball. You'll read about games past and present, about players and their stats, The narrator lives and breathes baseball. However, it's also about family and relationships, dreams lost, choices made, second chances, and redemption. I would say give it a try.

Finished "A Wrinkle in Time" yesterday. We are now watching the movie on Netflix but I've been disappointed so far in the changes they've made. Not sure what I'll start next. Hopefully we can get to the library today.

1. Weight of Glory- CS Lewis

2. The Help- Kathryn Stockett

3. A Wrinkle in Time- Madeleine L'Engle