Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - Week two

Robin M

Have any of you ever downloaded free e-reader software to your PC or Mac? Apparently you can do this with Kindle & Nook, and perhaps others. If you have, how did it work for you? I can't afford a Kindle or Nook, won't read on one much anyway because they affect me the same way cell phones do and I prefer to read on paper. However, there are 2 books we'd like to get that aren't on paper.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have any of you ever downloaded free e-reader software to your PC or Mac? Apparently you can do this with Kindle & Nook, and perhaps others. If you have, how did it work for you? I can't afford a Kindle or Nook, won't read on one much anyway because they affect me the same way cell phones do and I prefer to read on paper. However, there are 2 books we'd like to get that aren't on paper.

I have the Kindle app for iPhone and I used it a bit before I got an actual Kindle. With the small screen of an iPhone, it's a lot of page turning, but like you, there were some books I wanted to read that weren't available any other way. It worked ok for that.

I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with reading a book a week, but I'm really going to try. This will be my first time ever.

1. May B. - I always have the goal of reading some of my daughter's books. She handed this over and told me I'd love it. Was written almost in poetry format, so it was a very quick read, but really well done. I highly recommend it for 9-10 year old girls. I will definitely have books like this thrown in, to help me get the one book a week, since I'm not normally a fast reader.

2. Elevate the Everyday - I am a photographer, but sometimes I get in a rut and don't take pictures. This year I've also committed to doing a 365 - one photo a day - so this book is one of the ones that will help me achieve that.

3. Unbroken - Wow! This was such an incredibly powerful book for me. I couldn't put it down. It made me seek out speaking engagements of Louie Zamperini, when I found out he was still alive, and we are hoping to buy tickets for an event in April he is to speak at. It also gave me the resolve to read more historical non-fiction this year, so that's what I'm going to try and focus mostly this year.

I finished The Art of Racing in the Rain. It was a very quick read and I loved everything about it. Enzo was so charming and lovable, I kept looking at my dog and wondering what he was thinking about.

1. The Handmaid's Tale- Margaret Atwood

2. When We Were the Kennedy's- Monica Wood

3. The Corrections- Jonathan Franzen

4. The Art of Racing in the Rain- Garth Stein

Hello all!

I'm late to sign up, but I've been working on my reading lists. I have so many good ideas from reading the three threads so far---thanks!

Categories I plan to incorporate into my 52 books:

• Children's Classics I Never Read
  • A to Z Challenge
  • Continental Challenge
  • 5/5/5 Challenge (still working on these categories)
  • Well-Educated Mind List
  • Dewey Decimal Challenge

This is my first year participating, and I'm really looking forward to it! Now, I just need to set up a reading blog . . . .

Books I am reading now:

Looking forward to a great year of reading!

Yes I did before I got an ereader and it was quite simple. I really don't like reading books on my computer but if necessary I will. And even though I have an ereader there are some files that have to read on computer. It's easy to read since you can change the size of the font and the brightness if it bothers you. I would give it a try if I were you and see how it goes.

I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with reading a book a week, but I'm really going to try. This will be my first time ever. 1. May B. - I always have the goal of reading some of my daughter's books. She handed this over and told me I'd love it. Was written almost in poetry format, so it was a very quick read, but really well done. I highly recommend it for 9-10 year old girls. I will definitely have books like this thrown in, to help me get the one book a week, since I'm not normally a fast reader. 2. Elevate the Everyday - I am a photographer, but sometimes I get in a rut and don't take pictures. This year I've also committed to doing a 365 - one photo a day - so this book is one of the ones that will help me achieve that. 3. Unbroken - Wow! This was such an incredibly powerful book for me. I couldn't put it down. It made me seek out speaking engagements of Louie Zamperini, when I found out he was still alive, and we are hoping to buy tickets for an event in April he is to speak at. It also gave me the resolve to read more historical non-fiction this year, so that's what I'm going to try and focus mostly this year.

Hello all! I'm late to sign up, but I've been working on my reading lists. I have so many good ideas from reading the three threads so far---thanks! Categories I plan to incorporate into my 52 books:
  • Children's Classics I Never Read
  • A to Z Challenge
  • Continental Challenge
  • 5/5/5 Challenge (still working on these categories)
  • Well-Educated Mind List
  • Dewey Decimal Challenge

This is my first year participating, and I'm really looking forward to it! Now, I just need to set up a reading blog . . . . Books I am reading now:

Looking forward to a great year of reading!

Awesome. Welcome the 52 Books and happy reading!

I'm having a hard time with it, myself. I'm about halfway through, and it's just okay. I thought I would love it because I really love Jane Austen, especially P&P but I've read all (or almost all) of them. I'm having a hard time caring about the people in the book enough to just sit and read it for hours. But I'll finish it, and then move on!

I'm always suspicious of unfinished books that are published posthumously. Maybe the author didn't finish it because it stunk, you know?

I did kind of enjoy Lady Susan, actually. But, still. Pet peeve of mine. Whenever I read a particularly sub-par book from a children's author we've loved I check and almost always it was published posthumously.

I made it through 200 pages Around the World with Auntie Mame and her crazy travels through Paris, London, Venice, biarritz, alps of switzerland and a commune in russia. Couldn't take it any more and skipped to the ending.

Now I'm enjoying traveling through Africa with Alexander McCall Smith's No 1 Ladies Detective Agency. Much less aggravating read.

I finished Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics by Liping Ma which was book number two for me. I'm working on Gotham by Mike Wallace (at the rate I'm going, I will finish this in June!) and listening to David Copperfield on Audible. I haven't decided what to read alongside Gotham this week. I think I will pull out a short-ish novel.

Besides reading more, I also was hoping to write more this year so I'm going to try to review books as I finish them on my blog (which hasn't been very active of late) and I will keep my running list for the year there as well.

It's so great to see how much everyone is reading. I wish I had more time to be chatty on this thread!

I just finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Whew! I feel so strange trying to process the end of this series. I really liked the ending, but there were parts that surprised me. I am not a fantasy reader. I only started HP so that I could decide if it is something that I want ds to read (I do!). I will admit that there were parts of the series that I found boring (no tomatoes, please) and I didn't have that "can't put the book down" feeling that I know so many others had with HP. But man, what a well-written series! I can totally see how HP got kids reading again (isn't that what they say?). I bought all of the movies over Christmas and my next plan is to watch all eight of them. And is it weird that I kind of want to read the series again?

Not weird at all! I regularly reread HP and Tolkien. Or maybe I'm weird, too. :D

I'm always suspicious of unfinished books that are published posthumously. Maybe the author didn't finish it because it stunk, you know?

I did kind of enjoy Lady Susan, actually. But, still. Pet peeve of mine. Whenever I read a particularly sub-par book from a children's author we've loved I check and almost always it was published posthumously.

That's interesting. Now I'll start checking, too!

If you won't read on a Kindle or Nook because you don't like the backlighting (I assume that's what you mean about affecting you the way that a cell phone does), that will be the same on a PC. There are adjustments you can make like changing the brightness and background color but it is still kind of hard on old eyes. But, hey, the software is free and you are only out the money for the book so it's worth a try IMHO. You might discover that you like it. I much prefer e-ink readers over tablets & PCs, and I have both a Kindle Paperwhite and Nook Simple Touch. They are just like reading on paper (no glare and similar font to print) and I absolutely love them :001_wub: . I was an e-reader hold out for a long time but now am totally sold. If only I could get all these TBR's into digital formats ....
I have the Kindle app for iPhone and I used it a bit before I got an actual Kindle. With the small screen of an iPhone, it's a lot of page turning, but like you, there were some books I wanted to read that weren't available any other way. It worked ok for that.
Yes I did before I got an ereader and it was quite simple. I really don't like reading books on my computer but if necessary I will. And even though I have an ereader there are some files that have to read on computer. It's easy to read since you can change the size of the font and the brightness if it bothers you. I would give it a try if I were you and see how it goes.

Thanks, all. I don't like reading on the computer, either, but if I can make the print larger I can read from farther away, which is better, and I won't read in the evening, which is when reading on a computer or any other digital device will prevent me from sleeping properly even after I stop (unlike paper, which only keeps me up while I'm actually reading ;)) Plus, I foolishly did Amazon Prime, so can get x number of books a year for free, so I don't have anything to lose financially if I only download books I've already paid for with this fee for Prime.

Okay guys, this looks like fun - Gina of Book Dragon's lair (52 book a weeker) is hosting Monthly Mix Up Mania which is to read a book for every letter of each month of the year, It starts in April and runs from April 1st, 2013 through March 31, 2015. check it out here

Just a reminder that I'll be posting Week 3's thread Sunday morning around 10:00 pst for all those who like to know the schedule and are anxious to talk about your books for the week. It's usually easier to wait and post in the new thread on Sunday, rather than post in the old thread because then you'll just end up posting twice. Once the new thread is up, please continue the conversation in the new thread. I'll post a heads up in the status updates when we go live. Happy reading!

I finished three books this week!

Poetic Knowledge by James Taylor- a dense read about how modern society has lost the habit of learning in the poetic mode. Learning poetically means approaching what you are learning about with a sense of wonder, and knowing it by loving it before analyzing it or critiquing it. A very inspiring book that has given me much to mull over in regards to my educational philosophy. 5/5 and one of my "dusty books."

Time to Write by Kelly Stone - a sort of survey of writers on the subject of when they find time to write. Some interesting ideas but also disorganized and repetitive. 3/5

Becoming a Writer by Dorothea Brande - a book on what it means to be a writer and how to live an inspired writing life. A short read but full of wonderful advice. 5/5

I'm also about halfway through Create Your Writer Platform by Chuck Sambuchino, but I'm probably going to take a break and read some mindless fiction. :)

My list so far:

4. Poetic Knowledge by James Taylor

3. Time to Write by Kelly Stone

2. Becoming a Writer by Dorothea Brande

1. How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas C. Foster

In addition to several volumes of literary junk (what my family of origin called my reading choices while I was growing up; aka 'drivel'), I also enjoyed browsing through An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration from the Private Sketchbooks of Artists, Illustrators and Designers by Danny Gregory which I'd recommend to those who journal, love art or might like to do some of either.

Regards,

Kareni

I'm in line for some drivel this next week, suggestions requested. :)

Completed:

Book #6 - "
Tea Time for the Traditionally Built" by Alexander McCall Smith.

Book #5 - "Crime and Punishment" by Fydor Dostoevsky.

Book #4 - "The Miracle of Speedy Motors" by Alexander McCall Smith.

Book #3 - "The Good Husband of Zebra Drive" by Alexander McCall Smith.

Book #2 - "Blue Shoes and Happiness" by Alexander McCall Smith.

Book #1 - "In the Company of Cheerful Ladies" by Alexander McCall Smith.

2} Secrets at Sea by Richard Peck. This was a fun book for me and my kids. It is about a mouse family who goes on a trip with their house family and each one living their own life with the assumptions of what the others are doing. I liked it a lot.

I finished Halfway to Forever, by Kingsbury. I'm sorry. I have been finishing only drivel! I've needed the escape! I'm reading several non-fiction, but with most I am taking notes while I read, so it's slow-going!

Jeepers, don't apologize! And don't call your books drivel! A well-written book is a well-written book!

(Sorry, hot topic for me :lol:)

Reposting Robin for anyone who didn't see it. There were some issues last week with old threads being bumped. It can get pretty confusing to keep track of the conversation if we are all talking simultaneously in different threads.

I've got my Week 3 post written and ready to go. Now just have to wait on those west coasters to get outta bed .... (lol, j/k) :D

Don't worry, us newcomers were all properly reprimanded privately. I doubt we will make that mistake again. ;-).