Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - Week two

Robin M

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm working my way through Anne of Green Gables (on audio while I work out), Switch, Radical Hospitality, and Getting Things Done. I also have a few books I need to review on my blog, so I'll have to add them to my list too. I'm going to be doing a lot of reading this month!

Finished: More Mudpies to Magnets, Flute Practice Books by Trevor Wye (a lot of interesting things I didnt' know about tone technique ect), Mixed Bags by Melody Carson, Slow and Steady Get Me Ready by June R. Oberlander.

Currently Working On:

Downstairs: The Promise of Enough by Emily Freeman

Upstairs: Big Boned by Meg Cabot

Kindle: Forever More

IPhone: Stealing Bradford by Melody Carson

Sweet Boy Read Aloud: The Yellow Fairy Book

Angel Girl Read Aloud: The Wind In The Willows

WTM: Don Quixote

IPad: Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town by Stephen Leacock (for Canada)

Total Finished in 2013: 4

None of this detracts from my excitement for having finished my first book for the year! :) Now I just need to decide what I want my next book to be. I am thinking of reading The Neverending Story by Michael Ende. I look forward to seeing how much the movie strayed from the book. By the looks of it, quite a bit! I also have The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle on my nightstand and Don Quixote. I should read that, as it would fit the chunkster and dusty requirement for me, but I just don't want to. LOL

I look forward to reading about what everyone else is reading and adding many more to my list.

You've just added 2 to my list - The Neverending Story and The Last Unicorn. I keep seeng them mentioned. I'm embarrassed to admit that I was an adult before I realized they were books.

I love Don Quixote, perhaps my favorite passage in all of literature is when he makes his helmet.

I am so excited. At this time last year, I had already dropped out! BUT, I'm so happy to say that I have finished my first book just this morning! Yea!!

I read The Hobbit. I have to say that I didn't like it all that much. I just don't get the hype. I thought it was very anticlimactic in how the problem with Smaug was handled (though how it could have been handled differently I don't know), and was really disappointed with what happened in the end with some of the dwarves.

None of this detracts from my excitement for having finished my first book for the year! :) Now I just need to decide what I want my next book to be. I am thinking of reading The Neverending Story by Michael Ende. I look forward to seeing how much the movie strayed from the book. By the looks of it, quite a bit! I also have The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle on my nightstand and Don Quixote. I should read that, as it would fit the chunkster and dusty requirement for me, but I just don't want to. LOL

I look forward to reading about what everyone else is reading and adding many more to my list.

I can't believe I didn't know these were books and not just movies. :leaving: I've put them on hold at the library though.

Today I read drivel, specifically Swinging on a Star by Janice Thompson. It's a sweet little Christian romance novel and is pure cute fluff. This book is #2 in a trilogy, and I've already checked out #3 from the library to start in a little bit.

I'm a little over 4 hours away from finishing Outlander and will start Anne of Green Gables tomorrow. The Handmaid's Tale is on request at the library in both paperback and ebook. Curious to see which one I get first.

So, for week 1, I finished Three Mile Island.

Still in progress: The Aeneid and Physics and Engineering for Future Presidents

Started last week: Herzog by Saul Bellow and The Great Dali Art Fraud and Other Deceptions by Lee Catterall

I've never read Bellow before and I'm not sure if I like it or not, I've about 100 pages left, enough to have usually formed an opinion. I just decide I don't, and then it gets interesting. I suspect he won't become a favorite author, but I'm glad I'm at least reading the one.

Both my dh and I love Jasper Fforde! Have you read the Thursday Next series? Funny. I've read the two above, which is what hooked us onto Thursday Next.

Happy reading!

I haven't yet but if I like the writing on either of these, I'll add that series to my list.

No books finished yet. It took me a few days to get in the groove and decide what to read. I abandoned my first choice, Alias Grace.

I'm still reading Shoeless Joe and Democracy in America.

After seeing the Les Miserables movie this afternoon, I really want to re-read the book this year.

For those of you who enjoy Neuromancer or "matrix" storylines in general, I'd recommend Neal Stephenson's Snowcrash. My favorite, though, is his Anathem which has an odd, unexpected twist. I'll stop with that to avoid spoilers. ;)

Gibson is hit or miss for me generally but I love Stephenson. My all-time-favorite is The Diamond Age which is like a futuristic Dickens novel with nanotechnology, neo-Victorians, and a little girl named Nell being raised by an interactive storybook. I was sad when that book was over.

2. The Little Book by Seldon Edwards~fiction, Vienna, time travel, turn of the century.

A minor '60s rock star finds himself on the Ringstrasse in 1898 Vienna in this Mobius strip of a novel. There was much to enjoy here. Freud. Mahler. Romance. Baseball. Philosophy. Kaffee mit Schlag. Music. WWII spies. Waltzing. Hitler as a child. Freaky twists and turns. I must admit tiring of it 3/4 of the way through. I was tired of everyone taking to the hero and heroine and falling in love with them. Everyone must *love* them and their impulsive, free ways or they are evil. :rolleyes: And frankly I don't agree with their worldview so I guess I would have been an evil pre-Nazi; however, the last bit was complex enough that I just let go and enjoyed how this novel fit together. How it all came back around. Good research. Fun if you're interested in this time period.

Also finished Bouchon Bakery and Great Coffee Cakes by Carole Walter.

Working on:

Elizabeth and Her German Garden (Europe)

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Great Human Diasporas (Dewey Decimal challenge)

Dream Wheels (Canada/North America)

The House by the Sea (journal)

Away (Canada/North America)

The Museum of Hoaxes (Dewey Decimal challenge)

OK, I only read one book this week, seems like I am slacker :p Review is on my Blog: http://cuppacoffeemomma.blogspot.com/p/52-books-in-52-weeks.html (hope we are allowed to do that)

Yes, you are allowed to link to your blogs for us to read your reviews. You can link them on 52 books blog as well if you choose.

Ack! Week one is done already? I started four different books and haven't yet finished any of them. But I will, so just you wait until next week, oh Thread of Completed Books!

It was a short week since the book weeks run sunday to sunday. It's easier for me to keep track and I have more time on fri/sat to write the post. Tuesday to Tuesday just messes up my schedule.

You guys are rocking with the reading! Looks like we are doing an unofficial readalong of Handmaid's tale this month with so many folks reading or wanting to read it now. Have fun and enjoy. Look forward to hearing what everyone thinks about it.

Enter what you want to say, i.e. "name of book". Now highlight this with your mouse, then click on the link symbol. You'll see a box to enter the URL. Now "name of book" appears in blue with the hyperlink you indicated.

Thank you!!! I've been wondering that for a while now. I can't wait to appear as smart as you guys in my next post. :laugh:

Oh my gosh, thank you!! Elinor for asking, and Jane for answering. I've been trying to figure this out for months, LOL!!

Quick question: I think the rules say we can count children's books *if* they're fairly meaty, or something along those lines. How does everyone else handle this? We're working through the Little House series (Laura Ingalls Wilder) as a read aloud, and I was planning to count those... does that work??

Last week I read The Sanctuary by Ted Dekker. He's my favorite author and I'm a few books "behind". In the past I've finished his new books within days of their release. I still have a couple waiting!

Now I am reading Raising Your Spirited Child, and already I am kicking myself for not reading it the moment it was first suggested to me at least a year and a half ago. Every other page I'm waking up the baby laughing because it has so perfectly described my DD. I'm really hoping we can glean some useful things from this book. (We because I told DH he has to read it, too. lol)

I finished The Wilder Life this week. I think I might have been expecting too much from it, but I wasn't impressed with it. I wanted to hear more about Laura and less about what she thought of everything.

This week I'm hoping for Dragon House since it's for my book club next week. My Canada book is going to be Oryx and Crake.

Quick question: I think the rules say we can count children's books *if* they're fairly meaty, or something along those lines. How does everyone else handle this? We're working through the Little House series (Laura Ingalls Wilder) as a read aloud, and I was planning to count those... does that work??

Yes!

So I ended up just neglecting everything else and reading the rest of Gatsby straight through. Wow. I loved it!

So far in 2013:

1. Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey ****

2. The Great Gatsby *****

Next up: The Night Circus (thanks to the positive reviews here)

I finished Free Range Learning by Laura Grace Weldon. It gave me a lot to think about, and I was highlighting on my Nook like crazy!

Thanks to NetGalley, I'm now reading Imperfect Harmony by Stacy Horn - it's due out in April. I can hardly put it down, and would have finished already if I didn't have La Befana/Epiphany preparations to take care of (not to mention an energetic 3 1/2 year old who is super excited mommy doesn't have to work this week! LOL)

Elizabeth and Her German Garden (Europe)

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Great Human Diasporas (Dewey Decimal challenge)

Dream Wheels (Canada/North America)

The House by the Sea (journal)

Away (Canada/North America)

The Museum of Hoaxes (Dewey Decimal challenge)

I have to ask...What is a Dewey Decimal challege? I know I probably missed something. Sorry!

I'm still reading Kisses from Katie. I'll finish it this week, but I doubt I'll finish the second book by the end of the week. I single parent through the week and then we all want to spend the weekend with dh, so I don't get much reading time. I may end up at only half of the goal, but I'll keep plodding along. ;)

In addition to several volumes of literary junk (what my family of origin called my reading choices while I was growing up; aka 'drivel'), I also enjoyed browsing through An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration from the Private Sketchbooks of Artists, Illustrators and Designers by Danny Gregory which I'd recommend to those who journal, love art or might like to do some of either.

Regards,

Kareni

Kareni, when my head hurts too much or my heart aches, I revert to my own form of "drivel," only here I call it "Dorito reading" - Rosamund and Robin Pilcher's novels, the Mists of Avalon books, ratty volumes of Agatha Christie swiped from my dd's room, and my kid's favorite children's volumes like The Dark is Rising series, Tamora Pierce adventures, or The Ranger's Apprentice books. Tonight, I will finish Inkspell, but am not adding it to my list. :blushing:

Well, I lurked all last year, but I am joining in this year! Last week got away from me, so this is my first post! I have multiple books going all the time, so it will probably be easiest to list them as I start, and mark them read as I finish. At least that makes sense to me this week! Maybe next week I will change! Next up are Lionheart by Sharon Kay Penman (finally came out in paperback!!!) and The Handmaid's Tale (I've heard quite a bit about it! :laugh: ).

6. Practical Paleo

5. Money, Possessions, and Eternity

4. The Three Musketeers

3. The New Messies Manual - finished

2. The Miracle of MSM

1. I, Elizabeth

This past week I finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. The story line is intriguing and i thought she did a good job developing the main characters. I like that they are not "good people" or "bad people", but just people who make good and bad choices and then live out the consequences of those choices. I appreciate the way she fleshed out the challenges and joys of parenting a child with Down's syndrome. The writing is definitely best at the beginning and the end. The middle gets a bit repetitive and I think she tries to accomplish too much through flashbacks, lending an unreal sense to some of the elements of the story. She also hammers a bit hard on her imagery. It is apparently her first novel, though. I liked it well enough to pick up her second one.

I am currently working on finishing How to Read Church History by Jean Comby. I am planning a personal challenge of reading from the Church Fathers this year, and I think it will provide a great framework for that. I have also just started Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather.

Elaine

Okay, I finally figured out the challenges, and am joining the Canada challenge. So, I'm reading:

My Dear Charlotte

And I'm going to listen to The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie for the Canadian author. Robin, I'm giving your post a whirl and trying an audio book - I haven't seen how I would enjoy that, but I'm up for the challenge to give myself the chance! So, I'm committing to walking my dog an hour tomorrow while listening, and see how that goes.

Killing three birds with one stone may be just the ticket. :tongue_smilie:

I made progress in The History of the Ancient World. I have started Anne of Green Gables, she is refreshing and fun so far, I hope she atys that way! I also started listening to Little Women, which I read as a kid, but only remember bits and pieces. This is a lot for me, I am very happy with my start.

You've just added 2 to my list - The Neverending Story and The Last Unicorn. I keep seeng them mentioned. I'm embarrassed to admit that I was an adult before I realized they were books. I love Don Quixote, perhaps my favorite passage in all of literature is when he makes his helmet.
I can't believe I didn't know these were books and not just movies. :leaving: I've put them on hold at the library though. Today I read drivel, specifically Swinging on a Star by Janice Thompson. It's a sweet little Christian romance novel and is pure cute fluff. This book is #2 in a trilogy, and I've already checked out #3 from the library to start in a little bit. I'm a little over 4 hours away from finishing Outlander and will start Anne of Green Gables tomorrow. The Handmaid's Tale is on request at the library in both paperback and ebook. Curious to see which one I get first.

I knew The Last Unicorn was a book, but I didn't know The Neverending Story was. You are not alone!

I have only read about three pages into The Neverending Story and I am already loving it. It is going to be hard for me to get anything done this week if it turns out to be as good as it promises.

Moving on now to one fictional book, one non-fiction. The former will satisfy the Canadian challenge, The View from Castle Rock by Alice Munro. This book of short stories has been sitting on my dusty shelf for a while now.

Oooh, I like Alice Munro so much. I am waiting for her newest short story collection (Dear Life) to become available at my library. I did a project on her writing waaaaaaay back in high school, so she and I have a bit of a connection. :)

My first book of 2013 was John Barry's The Great Influenza. I have been curious about the 1918-1919 flu epidemic ever since I was a kid and my mom told me about a family on her side of the family tree where all of the males died during the flu epidemic. Didn't know that much about the epidemic, but now I do! I won't say the book is perfectly written--sometimes he repeats himself, it's a bit long, and "the rest of the story" with some of the scientists he highlights can be pretty anticlimactic. But I really enjoyed the book and discussing the medical history in it with my dad (a doctor)--I bought a copy of the book for him too. This book was written in 2004, so totally predates the 2009 H1N1 scare but still completely relevant.

I think I read that a few years ago--or something very similar. It made a big impression on me.

Okay, I finally figured out the challenges, and am joining the Canada challenge. So, I'm reading:

My Dear Charlotte

And I'm going to listen to The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie for the Canadian author. Robin, I'm giving your post a whirl and trying an audio book - I haven't seen how I would enjoy that, but I'm up for the challenge to give myself the chance! So, I'm committing to walking my dog an hour tomorrow while listening, and see how that goes.

Killing three birds with one stone may be just the ticket. :tongue_smilie:

Awesome. Look forward to hearing how it worked out for you.

This week, I read Saul Bellow's novella, Seize the Day. This is the synopsis from goodreads: "Deftly interweaving humor and pathos, Saul Bellow evokes in the climactic events of one day the full drama of one man's search to affirm his own worth and humanity." What I have always appreciated about Saul Bellow, besides his black humor, is his ability to find beauty in the middle of life's trashier moments and life's trashier characters. It is this characteristic that keeps me from giving the book a blanket thumb's up to everyone. However, if you are a Saul Bellow fan and have not read Seize the Day, by all means pick it up and add it to your library.
So, for week 1, I finished Three Mile Island. Still in progress: The Aeneid and Physics and Engineering for Future Presidents Started last week: Herzog by Saul Bellow and The Great Dali Art Fraud and Other Deceptions by Lee Catterall I've never read Bellow before and I'm not sure if I like it or not, I've about 100 pages left, enough to have usually formed an opinion. I just decide I don't, and then it gets interesting. I suspect he won't become a favorite author, but I'm glad I'm at least reading the one.

These posts make me realize that I've never read Saul Bellow. Added him to my list to read this year! Thank you.

Trillian, thanks also for your review of Three Mile Island last week.

The Little Book by Seldon Edwards~fiction, Vienna, time travel, turn of the century.

Sounds like a neat book. Fortunately, my library has it. :thumbup1:

I may join you for the Dewey Decimal Challenge this year.... It may be late January before I'm ramped up to my usual reading schedule, though. Life has been hectic & crazy for the last couple of weeks & will remain that way for at least a couple more....

Okay, now I have Handmaid's Tale on my TBR list. Not sure when I'll get to it, but I am now intrigued.

As for my reading this week, I'm still working through my stack that I posted last week. I got a little sidetracked reading French Kids Eat Everything by Karen Le Billon. Not sure why, my kids are great eaters. But it caught my fancy one evening and the next thing I knew I was nearly finished with the book. Turns out I agreed, and already practice, much of what as in the book. Maybe I'm part French somewhere in there :D

My finished book still stand at a big zero. But at least I've got 5-6 started :) Hopefully I'll be back before the week's end to post some completed titles.

Started Reading:

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton (Australian author, DD class 800)

Still Reading:

The Next Story: Life and Faith After the Digital Explosion by Tim Challies (Canadian author, DD class 600)

The God Who is There: Finding Your Place in God's Story by D.A. Carson (Canadian author, DD class 200)

Finished:

2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (English author, DD class 800)

1. The Dark Monk: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch (German author, DD class 800)

I read a lot last week and this weekend! I will keep my running total in my first post each week.

I read the companion volume to Ken Burns's latest documentary about the Dust Bowl. the Dust Bowl :An Illustrated History was powerful, upsetting, and inspiring at the same time. I cried many times due to the text and to the photographs. My grandmother's family left Oklahoma before the Depression----if they had stayed...

After that book I read two light books in a row. One was a reread (A Lot Like Love by Julie James) from a series I love (I buy this series) and the other was part of a series I started last year (Playing to Win by Jaci Burton), from the library.

Back to heavier books-----Farewell to Manzanar by Jeanne Wakatsuki, a memoir of her life in the Manzanar CA interment camp during World War II. I felt the book was more a memoir of a family falling apart than a memoir of life in the camp. Since I was looking for the latter for dd to read, I was disappointed. I have higher hopes for another book sitting in the library pile.

And then one last reread----Heaven, Texas by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. My library has been adding her ebooks so I decided to start rereading them as comfort reads :)

I failed at reading Getting Things Done. It wasn't very applicable to my non-office life! I read the first two chapters but skimmed the rest. I also failed at The Book Thief by Markus Susak (WW2 YA) which dd17 wanted her sister to read. I think I will need absolute quiet around me to get into this particular book---no absolute quiet here :lol: I'll try it again someday.

Finished:

8. Heaven, Texas, Susan Elizabeth Phillips (reread)

7. Playing to Win, Jaci Burton

6. Farewell to Manzanar, Jeanne Wakatsuki

5. A Lot Like Love, Julie James (reread)

4. The Dust Bowl: An Illustrated History, Dayton Duncan and Ken Burns

3. The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion

2. Wallbanger, Alice Clayton

1. A Cowboy for Christmas, Lori Wilde

I started The Handmaid's Tale last night and now I'm in a feminist rage. It's not even a shocking book as most of the views I've heard expressed in the American news last year and in posts here on the forums.

In other news I'm going to join in the Dewey Decimal challenge. I used to read non-fiction all the time before I had kids so this will be a nice push back into it. I'll come up with a list later today for that.

I just added some books to my to-read Goodreads shelf (and requested from the library) after reading a post on the Life as Mom blog:

Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman

An Everlasting Meal by Tamar Adler

The Feast Nearby: How I lost my job.... byRobin Mather (I think it was mentioned earlier this year by someone here.)

I'm formulating ideas for the 5/5/5 challenge :)

Now to wake up the cranky homeschooled kid and get started with our real day!

Here's what I've read so far this year.

• The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had by Kristin Levine
  • Marmee & Louisa: The Untold Story of Louisa May Alcott and Her Mother by Eve LaPlante
  • Elsewhere: A Memoir by Richard Russo

My book club reads biographies during January so I picked two. While I like Richard Russo I didn't love his memoir. And The Untold Story seemed very obvious to me. From reading LMA I just assumed that her mother was the major figure in her life. The book was interesting but not earth shattering.

The Best Bad Luck is YA but well over the page limit and it's an interesting read. Set between the Civil War and WWI. A black family moves to Alabama.

I finished last week's book, The Midwife by Jennifer Worth.

I enjoyed this book so much that I paid way too much to get the others in the series shipped from the UK.

I started The Handmaid's Tale last night and now I'm in a feminist rage. It's not even a shocking book as most of the views I've heard expressed in the American news last year and in posts here on the forums.

This is exactly why the book terrified me!

Well, you are all putting me to shame. I finished a few and felt quite accomplished, but there are so many others who have had such great reading weeks!

Anyhow, here's my week:

A Walk Across the Sun by Corban Addison - Interesting book about two Indian girls left orphaned by a tsunami and their unfortunate kidnapping to the sex trade. I don't think I read the summary very well, because I didn't realize it was going to be an international thriller about an American lawyer's efforts to rescue the girls. Still a very interesting book. I like that it addressed the topic of the sex trade and human trafficking without any vulgarity.

The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright - This is everything that a great read aloud should be: engaging story, charming characters, rich vocabulary, and cultural references galore. DD loved it, as did I. She woke up every morning begging me to read it. We've ordered the next in the Melendy Quartet from the library and are eagerly awaiting its arrival.

Lullabies for Little Criminals by Heather O'Neill - Read this for the Canada challenge. It's a very sad story about the 12yo daughter of a heroin addict and her life of neglect and abuse. Depressing without being melodramatic. The story is set in Montreal, so this was a good match for the challenge because there are references to sections of the city, French-language musicians, etc.

Now I've started on Simplicity Parenting and Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey. Neither has fully engaged my attention so we'll see if I stick with them. Also started The Children of Noisy Village by Astrid Lindgren as a read aloud with DD because she loved all of the Pippi Longstocking books. So far it's just OK.

So, I'm reading: My Dear Charlotte

I have that on my Kindle but couldn't get into it. I might try again, since it fits the dusty book category. I'm not usually a fan of epistolary novels, though I did enjoy Lady Susan and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

This is exactly why the book terrified me!

Me three.