Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - Week two

Robin M

Good Morning, dolls! Today is the start of week 2 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome back to all our readers, to all those who are just joining in and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 Books blog to link to your reviews.

52 Books Blog - Audible Atwood: Since we are starting out the new year with traveling through Canada, I thought we'd take along an audiobook or two or three. Who better to start with than Margaret Atwood. She is most well known for the dystopian story, The Handmaid's Tale, which I read eons and eons ago. I'm trying to decide which one of her other stories I should try now.

Before you turn up your nose at audiobooks, you have to know that I haven't always liked them either. Up until last year, I had great difficulties even listening to one. My problem is voices. If I find a voice annoying, then forget it. So I have to listen to all the samples, make sure I like the narrator. Then I discovered I have a preference for female narrators versus male. The ladies just seem to do a better job of male voices. The males end up sound like those performers in those off broadway female impersonator shows and throw me completely out of the story. Just think Patrick Swayze and Wesley Snipes in To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything Julie Newmar and you'll understand. And yes, I'll admit I watched the movie (a couple times) which is just a fascinating train wreck. (if you are easily offended by anything including cross dressing men then don't look at the clip)

Publisher Weekly's Best New Books for the week of Jan 7,2013

Retelling of Alice in Wonderland - conversation with A.G. Howard: in her modern day retelling of Lewis CarrollĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Alice In Wonderland, A.G. Howard puts a gothic spin on the beloved classic, and sends sixteen-year-old Alyssa back through the looking glass to correct the wrongs of her great-great-great grandmother Alice.

What are you reading this week?

Link to week one

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Criminey, the boards are giving me fits this morning. Anybody else? It's the Matrix's fault. Yes, that's the ticket. I started reading Neuromancer by William Gibson, my Canadian author. I found out the book was used as the basis for The Matrix movies.

I started Robinson Crusoe this morning. As I didn't make it to the library that is what sounded interesting from my shelf. I considered 1984 as well but I re-read that one not too long ago. I'm not sure if it is considered children's literature but as I've never read it I thought I'd give it a go.

I am still plugging along with Herodotus' Histories - in Book Two and about ready to shove all the geography of Egypt out the window. I may start skimming....

Haven't started The Handmaid's Tale yet - too much DH and DD and not enough free time. Travelling this week so I might get some time on the plane - if DD settles down with her movies I'm downloading to the iPad (we'll be flying for 16 hours all told so I have hope).

Still also reading History of the Medieval World, but it's a little back-burner right now. Concentrating on the Ancients with the random "relief" book thrown in for good measure. Though I love SWB's writing style so I'll sometimes pick this one back up just as a relaxing visit with a good friend, if that makes any sense.

I finished Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. This book is well-loved, but I can't say I liked it much. I didn't think the jokes were funny, and with a lot of time and words devoted to jokes, I spent much of the time bored and wishing they would get back to the plot. I liked the story, but it was slow-going for me. I assume it's not slow at all if you're laughing the whole time, and I guess that is the case with many people since it often gets high ratings.

I have moved onto The Handmaid's Tale. This one I'm loving. In fact, I'm having trouble putting it down and hope to finish it tonight - started it yesterday.

This week I'm going to try The Corrections. At one time I owned this book but for whatever reason never read it then I must have given it away because I can't find it now. I picked up another copy at the library book sale for .75 so if I don't like it I'm not out much money. I'm also going to try The Art of Racing in the Rain which seems like it will be a quick read.

I finished my first two books this week. Here's the list so far.

The Deathly Hallows- J.K Rowling

The Friday Society- Adrienne Kress

Leviathan- Scott Westerfeld

The Chrysalids- John Wyndham

The Eyre Affair-Jasper Fforde

The Handmaid's Tale- Margaret Atwood

The Tar-Aiym Krang- Dean Alan Foster

The Woman Who Died A Lot- Jasper Fforde

Changeless-Gail Carriger

I was not really feeling The Friday Society in the beginning when I thought it was just a steampunk detective type novel. It's hard to describe but the speech was too modern and I felt like the author had a feminist checklist she was trying to fill which made some of it feel a bit cliche. At some point it became apparent that this was actually a superhero origin story. Once I realized that, it became much more enjoyable. I look forward to reading more from this series.

I think I'm going to go with The Handmaid's Tale next. I may put in a rule for myself where I alternate fluff with more serious stuff. Maybe.

Finished Moby Dick on January 2, so I'm counting it as book 1 for 2013, even though I read most of it in 2012. I read this because my son has to read it for his English class and I had never read it. I enjoyed it. I found Ishmael a delightful and often humorous narrator, and I found the look at the whaling industry instructive if often unpleasant. The slaughter of the whales was definitely the hardest part about reading the book.

I am currently reading The Handmaid's Tale on the Kindle when I exercise. I am having a difficult time not reading it at other times.

I am also reading The Swerve for my book club.

Thanks again Robin and fellow readers for the continuing inspiration!

It is really hard to discuss Gillespie and I by Jane Harris without revealing the plot. Suffice it to say that I really liked this tale, set in Victorian Glasgow and narrated by a lonely woman. Harriet Baxter struck me initially as one of Barbara Pym's "excellent women"--single and quick to help the family of Ned Gillespie whom she has taken under wing. The storyline takes a surprising turn.

Having looked at a few online reviews, I see that critics felt that this novel paled when compared to her first, The Observations. Since I am giving Gillespie and I four stars, I really look forward to reading her other book.

Gillespie and I contains 504 pages, a technical chunkster, but it certainly did not feel like a slog!

Moving on now to one fictional book, one non-fiction. The former will satisfy the Canadian challenge, The View from Castle Rock by Alice Munro. This book of short stories has been sitting on my dusty shelf for a while now.

I am also reading The Feast Nearby by Robin Mather. The book has a lengthy subtitle: "How I lost my job, buried a marriage and found my way for keeping chickens, foraging, preserving, bartering and eating locally (all on forty dollars a week". The upshot is that within a week in 2009 Mather's husband of twelve years asked for a divorce and she lost her job as a food writer for the Chicago Tribune. She went from having Julia Child cook for her and traveling with Rick Bayless in Mexico to being jobless and living in the small family cottage on Lake Michigan. This resulted in a book of essays and recipes, organized by season. As a foodie, this should be a fun read for me.

I read The Great Gatsby last week and really enjoyed it. It was one I was supposed to read in high school, but I skated through most of HS so while I remember skimming parts, it was wonderful to just read it to enjoy it.

This week I'm reading The Poisonwood Bible by Barbra Kingslover. I had to read The Bean Trees in High School and remember so disliking the whole thing but as with Gatsby I wanted to give her another chance. There was no way I was going to pick up The Bean Trees again though, and the HS store had TONS of these for $1 each so that's my book for this week.

All this talk about The Handmaid's Tale though I may have to go back and reread that. I read it when I was pregnant with DS and really remember enjoying it.

I'm halfway through The Great Gatsby, and I'm starting to get a little annoyed at all of the mundane tasks that keep pulling me away from it! I just want to keep reading until the end...

I read that one last week, and I felt the same way! I finally put the kids to bed one night, told DH I was busy and ran a hot bath to relax in while I finished it.

1. Middle Ages, Dorothy Mills (over Christmas break, but finished Jan. 4

2. To Kill a Mockingbird, still reading

I am reading so much simultaneously.

-Homemaking, J.R. Miller, a few chapters a week to read and journal.

-Hobbit and Song of Roland to discuss with children, plus get started on Ivanhoe.

-I also received many amazon wish list books for Christmas that I can't wajt to read.

I am so excited. At this time last year, I had already dropped out! BUT, I'm so happy to say that I have finished my first book just this morning! Yea!!

I read The Hobbit. I have to say that I didn't like it all that much. I just don't get the hype. I thought it was very anticlimactic in how the problem with Smaug was handled (though how it could have been handled differently I don't know), and was really disappointed with what happened in the end with some of the dwarves.

None of this detracts from my excitement for having finished my first book for the year! :) Now I just need to decide what I want my next book to be. I am thinking of reading The Neverending Story by Michael Ende. I look forward to seeing how much the movie strayed from the book. By the looks of it, quite a bit! I also have The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle on my nightstand and Don Quixote. I should read that, as it would fit the chunkster and dusty requirement for me, but I just don't want to. LOL

I look forward to reading about what everyone else is reading and adding many more to my list.

This week I'm going to try The Corrections. At one time I owned this book but for whatever reason never read it then I must have given it away because I can't find it now. I picked up another copy at the library book sale for .75 so if I don't like it I'm not out much money. I'm also going to try The Art of Racing in the Rain which seems like it will be a quick read.

I loved the Art of Racing in the Rain. It is a pretty quick read. I hope you enjoy it

I'm reading slowly through Empire of the Mind. The Preface begins with the following translation, and I can see that I may end up riding my own lame little donkey through the next 51 weeks:

Anyone who knows, and knows that he knows,

Makes the steed of intelligence leap over the vault of heaven.

Anyone who does not know, but knows that he does not know,

Can bring his lame little donkey to the destination nonetheless.

Anyone who does not know, and does not know that he does not know

Is stuck forever in double ignorance.

Anonymous, attributed to Naser od-Din Tusi 1201-1274

For those of you who enjoy Neuromancer or "matrix" storylines in general, I'd recommend Neal Stephenson's Snowcrash. My favorite, though, is his Anathem which has an odd, unexpected twist. I'll stop with that to avoid spoilers. ;)

I am so excited. At this time last year, I had already dropped out! BUT, I'm so happy to say that I have finished my first book just this morning! Yea!!

I read The Hobbit. I have to say that I didn't like it all that much. I just don't get the hype. I thought it was very anticlimactic in how the problem with Smaug was handled (though how it could have been handled differently I don't know), and was really disappointed with what happened in the end with some of the dwarves.

I wasn't a huge fan of The Hobbit either, but I have been enjoying the Lord of the Rings. I'm going to try The Hobbit again once I'm finished.

I finished two books since I posted last week. The first book I read was a mystery novel, All The Great Pretenders by Deborah Adams. The first half of the book I found myself skipping ahead from the sentence I was on. However the second half of the book seemed better. I'm not sure if the writing got better or the action helped me stay more focused. The second book I read was Mr. Churchill's Secretary. I loved this book. I loved the historical setting, I loved the storyline, I loved the different opinions and point of views that are expressed throughout the novel, I loved the action, and I loved the twists.

My first book of 2013 was John Barry's The Great Influenza. I have been curious about the 1918-1919 flu epidemic ever since I was a kid and my mom told me about a family on her side of the family tree where all of the males died during the flu epidemic. Didn't know that much about the epidemic, but now I do! I won't say the book is perfectly written--sometimes he repeats himself, it's a bit long, and "the rest of the story" with some of the scientists he highlights can be pretty anticlimactic. But I really enjoyed the book and discussing the medical history in it with my dad (a doctor)--I bought a copy of the book for him too. This book was written in 2004, so totally predates the 2009 H1N1 scare but still completely relevant.

I also have Sense and Sensibility going. I started reading Carrie Bebris' Mr. and Mrs. Darcy mysteries last year and realized after the second one that I really should re-read the relevant Austen book first to remember the details. So this was for one I read last year and then I'll read Northanger Abbey so I can be ready for North by Northanger.

Read Handmaid's Tale last year and enjoyed it.

Loved The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Re-read Gatsby a few years back--still not my fave.

I wasn't a huge fan of The Hobbit either, but I have been enjoying the Lord of the Rings. I'm going to try The Hobbit again once I'm finished.

I have those on my nightstand as well, but I just wasn't sure if I could get into it. Maybe after The Neverending Story... OR not. :tongue_smilie:

I'm still on my religion kick, which I suspect may be the theme of this year.

I finished Bart Ehrman's Did Jesus Exist? just a day or two into the year. I'm now rotating among:

Reading the Bible Again for the First Time, by Marcus J. Borg;

Son of a Preacher Man, by Jay Bakker; and

In the Land of Believers, by Gina Welch (audio).

I expect to finish all of most of those this week.

I am also reading The Feast Nearby by Robin Mather. The book has a lengthy subtitle: "How I lost my job, buried a marriage and found my way for keeping chickens, foraging, preserving, bartering and eating locally (all on forty dollars a week". The upshot is that within a week in 2009 Mather's husband of twelve years asked for a divorce and she lost her job as a food writer for the Chicago Tribune. She went from having Julia Child cook for her and traveling with Rick Bayless in Mexico to being jobless and living in the small family cottage on Lake Michigan. This resulted in a book of essays and recipes, organized by season. As a foodie, this should be a fun read for me.

Jane, I am looking forward to reading your review on this book. It definitely sounds like a good read.

This week, I read Saul Bellow's novella, Seize the Day. This is the synopsis from goodreads:

"Deftly interweaving humor and pathos, Saul Bellow evokes in the climactic events of one day the full drama of one man's search to affirm his own worth and humanity."

What I have always appreciated about Saul Bellow, besides his black humor, is his ability to find beauty in the middle of life's trashier moments and life's trashier characters. It is this characteristic that keeps me from giving the book a blanket thumb's up to everyone. However, if you are a Saul Bellow fan and have not read Seize the Day, by all means pick it up and add it to your library.

My plan for this week is to continue reading the five books I mentioned in Week One that go with my study of ancient Greek classics.

For all of you considering The Handmaid's Tale, I definitely recommend it! I finished that one last week, and I began Northanger Abbey. I'm still working on that one, and it's just so-so right now.

I finished a free Kindle non-fiction called First Handgun Boot Camp. Horrible, horrible writing. I did learn a few things, and it was a quick read.

I'm thinking I will try to keep both a fiction and non-fiction going at the same time, so I can switch back and forth if I get bored.

For week two I'm starting, Wesley the Owl: The Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and His Girl by Stacey O'Brien. So far, I'm absolutely enchanted.

Completed Thus Far:

1. Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary by Samantha Glen

In addition to several volumes of literary junk (what my family of origin called my reading choices while I was growing up; aka 'drivel'), I also enjoyed browsing through An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration from the Private Sketchbooks of Artists, Illustrators and Designers by Danny Gregory which I'd recommend to those who journal, love art or might like to do some of either.

Regards,

Kareni

Well, since we were on vacation for the most part, I had quite a productive week since the first of January. I started with The Summer Deal (The Greek Series) by Aleka Nakis, it's a relaxing quick easy read that is part of the Prime Library.

I then moved to a new author for me and read Grave Witch: An Alex Craft Novel by Kalayna Price. I quickly moved to the rest of the published books, Grave Dance and Grave Memory. The fourth book is due out in August. It's hard to review without spoilers as each novel certainly builds on the last. It began with the main character, a grave witch, working a homicide case with the police. Various fae and other paranormal characters intermingle with the nulls to keep it interesting. By the second book the emphasis turned to fae and reminded me somewhat of Laurell K Hamilton's early books in regards to the world building of the Courts within the fae realm although not as dark in it's overall feel. Let's just hope it doesn't venture the same way that the Merry Gentry series did with the love triangle going between Alex, Death, and Falin. I was certain to put the next book on my wishlist.

I took a short break and turned to another easy read (or drivel if you like) and read Woth the Scandal: Worth it by Karen Erickson. At 184 pages it's an easy distraction one quiet night and free right now on Kindle. The ending comes to quick and is resolved in to neat a manner but the price is right. It's about average when you come to the free stuff.

Robin had to mention Jennifer Estep in the first week, an author that I've been throwing around for a while. I broke down and started the Elemental Assassin series with Spider's Bite. It took me a little longer to get into this book, as in a little longer to get through it, but I'm guessing it will pick up in the next book and that a lot of what slowed me down is world building for later on in the series. I will be moving on to the next book Web of Lies. I also have The Handmaid's Tale on my list as my book for Canada, and any distracting drivel that I find when I don't want to start anything new to late in the day. ;)

OK, I only read one book this week, seems like I am slacker :p

Review is on my Blog: http://cuppacoffeemomma.blogspot.com/p/52-books-in-52-weeks.html

(hope we are allowed to do that)

I *am* still reading Les Mis, I've not given it up; maybe by week 3 or 4 I'll have it done. It's a hard read for me. I have not decided on my next book yet; perusing my Kindle library to see what jumps out at me.

~coffee~

It is really hard to discuss Gillespie and I by Jane Harris without revealing the plot. Suffice it to say that I really liked this tale, set in Victorian Glasgow and narrated by a lonely woman. Harriet Baxter struck me initially as one of Barbara Pym's "excellent women"--single and quick to help the family of Ned Gillespie whom she has taken under wing. The storyline takes a surprising turn.

Having looked at a few online reviews, I see that critics felt that this novel paled when compared to her first, The Observations. Since I am giving Gillespie and I four stars, I really look forward to reading her other book.

Gillespie and I contains 504 pages, a technical chunkster, but it certainly did not feel like a slog!

You sold me...my library has it. I'll get it later this week!

I finished reading Classics in the Classroom and found it very interesting. I have started the blog post but it's not up yet.

After all the Atwood talk I downloaded the sample of Alias Grace and I really enjoyed it, I think I'll download the full version and finish it this week. It's been on my list for a while but hadn't got there yet...

I'm still working on Dr. Zhivago but finding it a slog. I really do like it a lot, but it's not *easy*! I'll have it finished by the end of the year!

Code Name Verity was incredible. A beautiful, perfectly crafted gem... a book about courage and female friendship, about sacrifice and loyalty. Simultaneously tragic and triumphant... it deserves every bit of the resounding praise it received and a whole lot more. Don't miss this. http://www.amazon.co...ode+name+verity

Thank you! Added it to my to read list. Looks very interesting.

Right after Christmas I read Crazy Dangerous by Andrew Klavan. It was entertaining and a quick read. It's told through the eyes of a teenage boy and tough decisions he has to make.

Last week I finished Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey by The Countess of Carnarvon.

Wow, lots of great reading this week. I will have to go back over this thread and make a list! :)

This week, I read "Vintage Ladybug Farm" by Donna Ball and "Home Again" by Kristin Hannah. They were both good reads!

Up for this week, I am going to read "Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey - I've read it a couple times, but my plan is to re-read each January! I'm also going to start at least one of the following: "Zen to Done" or "Love Wins" or "The Great Gatsby" depending on my time!!

As an aside, how do you guys change the way your links read? Mine just link to the book at Amazon, but how do I make them say what I want, like the name of the book, "this", or whatever?

Enter what you want to say, i.e. "name of book". Now highlight this with your mouse, then click on the link symbol. You'll see a box to enter the URL. Now "name of book" appears in blue with the hyperlink you indicated.

I have finished three books this past week.

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier YA It was okay but I have read better YA books.

How to Be Your Own Selfish Pig by Susan Macauley. I am pre-reading this for my dd for school next year. I enjoyed it.

Coventry by Helen Humphreys. This is my Canadian book as well as my Dusty book. I loved this story.

I am now reading 'The Map That Changed the World' by Simon Winchester (quite interesting so far) and 'The Pursuit of Happiness' by Gretchen Rubin.

Enter what you want to say, i.e. "name of book". Now highlight this with your mouse, then click on the link symbol. You'll see a box to enter the URL. Now "name of book" appears in blue with the hyperlink you indicated.

Thank you!!! I've been wondering that for a while now. I can't wait to appear as smart as you guys in my next post. :laugh:

I finished All the King's Men for week one and was planning on heading to the library tomorrow for a new one. It sounds like Handmaid's Tale is highly recommended so maybe I'll try that one.

I had to force myself to read All the King's Men, it's not a book I would normally choose. But I decided that this year I was going to read 20th Century lit. and someone recommended it on this thread: http://forums.welltr...-i-should-read/

I was pleasantly surprised with it! Despite the fact that I don't like political books and that the majority of the characters were corrupt, despicable people, the author's writing style really drew me in. By the end of the book I was very curious what was going to come of these people and it ended just the way it should.

Week 1: Finished Sink Reflections, How We Decide, and An Abundance of Katherines.

On the list for Week 2: Shadow of Night, Deborah Harkness; The Fiddler, Beverly Lewis; and I already gave up on Happier at Home, Gretchen Rubin. I could not get into this book whatsoever. I wasn't feeling the "happiness". I'm afraid to commit to more because we start back to school this week. We'll see how it goes...

This week, I read Saul Bellow's novella, Seize the Day. This is the synopsis from goodreads:

"Deftly interweaving humor and pathos, Saul Bellow evokes in the climactic events of one day the full drama of one man's search to affirm his own worth and humanity."

What I have always appreciated about Saul Bellow, besides his black humor, is his ability to find beauty in the middle of life's trashier moments and life's trashier characters. It is this characteristic that keeps me from giving the book a blanket thumb's up to everyone. However, if you are a Saul Bellow fan and have not read Seize the Day, by all means pick it up and add it to your library.

I was thinking about reading something by Saul Bellow - just stuck this one on hold at the library. Thanks!

I finished a nice little murder mystery last night for my book #2 called Publish & Perish by Sally S Wright (the first in the Ben Reese mysteries). I'd read it about 10 years ago and remembered liking it, but absolutely nothing more. My sister-in-law got me book #3 for Christmas, so I thought I needed to re-read up to that point, and I'm so glad I did! It was a good read, a whodunit in the old style. Ben Reese is a wonderful character. Definitely influenced by Sayer's mysteries, which makes them that more entertaining.

Plus, the town it's set in fits what my town was probably like in the early 60s (when the stories are set) - an hour north of Columbus, college town, Methodist-affiliated college, lots of farms not far away, close to the zoo. It makes it easy to imagine the surrounding landscape and town patterns.

I'm going to start the second in the series next, Pride and Predator.

Book Reviews

1. The White Horse King: The Life of Alfred the Great by Benjamin Merkle

2. Publish & Perish by Sally S Wright

I love my first book of the year and am looking forward to reading it again. I read "The Reading Promise: My Father and the Books We Shared" by Alice Ozma. Highly recommend this! It's an account of a single dad and his daughter and how reading together every day (for nine years!) influenced their relationship. I loved the conversations between the two. I really enjoyed this author's sense of humor (check out the dreaded, potentially fatal "kiss-lock" position). :)

I think this week's read will be something of C.S. Lewis, but I'm not sure yet.

Dd and I are still having a great time reading "Anne of Green Gables." We are getting closer to the end, which will probably have me crying and passing the book to dd to read. She, on the other hand, will probably be fine.

For week 1 I read The Hot Zone and Tuesdays with Morrie.

This week I am working on Getting Things Done and Pride & Prejudice. Not sure I will finish either one this week, but I will try to get through P & P. I'm forcing myself to read the classics even though I'd rather focus on other books. I haven't read most classics though, so I figure it's important I do. Right?

I finished Pride and Prejudice by Austen for my first book of the year. I hadn't read it since high school and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. It was also my first book read on my new Kindle, and I enjoyed the ebook format a lot more than I expected. The review is here on my new blog. Up next I've started Talking Money by Chatzky as part of a New Year's resolution. I'm going to try to squeeze in Emily in New Moon by Montgomery as part of the continental challenge as well.