Menu

Ummm...WWYD if your child

I.Dup.

your 8yo boy pulled his p*nis OUTSIDE OF HIS PANTS AND F0NDLED IT absentmindedly? It's something he does without thinking. We have disciplined him for it (not sure that is the right tactic, but dang) and it makes no difference because he does it without thinking. I am so glad this child is not in school. Good grief.

I'd sit him down and explain to him that his penis is private, and that people may feel uncomfortable seeing his. I'd explain that yes, it does feel good and that's okay, but that good-feeling is a private feeling and he needs to only do it in private in his bedroom with the door closed. If he continues to do this in non-compliance with th aforementioned rules then I would agree with the hand washing as a reminder suggestion.

Um, couldn't you just explain to the kid that this is something you do in private?

Presumably she has? I hope!

When mine were younger and used to do this, I used to send them to their rooms to be in private. They could walk right back down if they wanted. I meant it more as a reminder than anything. It's absentminded, so I didn't want anything too putative.

My son use to do this all the time but he would just sticks his hands down his pants. I make him wash his hands and I told him that is something he should do in private. He has stopped doing it for the most part. I may catch him once a month doing it. I would try to make it less accessible put a belt on him.

your 8yo boy pulled his p*nis OUTSIDE OF HIS PANTS AND F0NDLED IT absentmindedly? It's something he does without thinking. We have disciplined him for it (not sure that is the right tactic, but dang) and it makes no difference because he does it without thinking. I am so glad this child is not in school. Good grief.

Tell him to put it away and wash his hands. Then give a reminder that if he wants to play with himself it needs to be in a private location where others can't see him. Wash, rinse, repeat as many times as it takes to have it sink in. I think of it the same as teaching a preschooler to not pick your nose, constant reminders to use a tissue and having to stop everything to go wash hands. Since this is an absent minded thing having something else handy to fidget with would likely help too. I would not punish for it at all, he is not intentionally doing wrong.

Snaps on his shirts and pants so that they are connected or the overall idea. The idea isn't to make it punishment. It is to make a habit inaccessible so that it stops becoming a habit.

P.S. - I would check to make sure that he doesn't have a yeast problem that might make things itchy.

I could see doing that if this was a child under the age of 4, but no 8 year old boy want to be in basically a onsie

Just send him to the bathroom or bedroom EVERYTIME. We do this for anything that might not be deemed socially appropriate. Farting, belching you name it. that way there is not a shame factor, but the message is clear. It is my opinion that 8 is way too old to do this even absentmindedly.

We have ABSOLUTELY told him it is not appropriate to do in front of others! Over and over and over again and finally we resorted to disciplining, it makes dh really upset. I know that's not good, but this kid is just so absentminded so much of the time.

From now on I will definitely send him to wash his hands each time. I really hope that will help. This child is so hard for me to figure out.

Besides making sure there is no infection, etc. could you give him something ELSE to figit with and keep his hands busy elsewhere? A squishy ball, some silly putty, other textured object.

You mention he is very absentminded. Does this affect him in other areas or just this one? If it affects more of his life it might be worth checking out to see if it is an ADD thing or a sensory integration thing or ????

I'm about at the point where I would try a leotard.

Yes, his absentmindedness absolutely affects his life. We have had him evaluated and he is not on "the spectrum" but he does have problems with sensory integration. We have been working on it for years. A ball or squishy toy might work, but because of his absentmindedness I worry that it would always just get lost, or the babies would end up with it. Usually this is while he is concentrating on something, like a game, waiting for his turn, etc.

I do not think it is due to infection, he has never complained of any pain and it doesn't seem like he is itching or uncomfortable. Just fiddling around with it hanging out for everyone to see. :confused1:

My aspie was a little younger than your son when we went through this, definitely sensory for him. We let him try carrying different things around in his pocket that he could pull out and play with (kind of the same action as the offending) He ended up picking a toy spatula that his sisters had in their toy kitchen. He carried it in his pocket for YEARS. Then one day it disappeared. It took him a while, but he has replaced it with a specific combination of mega blocks that he keeps in his pocket. Completely stopped grabbing himself after an adjustment period. Anytime we saw him pulling at it, we reminded him of his blocks. He created a new brain pattern

My aspie was a little younger than your son when we went through this, definitely sensory for him. We let him try carrying different things around in his pocket that he could pull out and play with (kind of the same action as the offending) He ended up picking a toy spatula that his sisters had in their toy kitchen. He carried it in his pocket for YEARS. Then one day it disappeared. It took him a while, but he has replaced it with a specific combination of mega blocks that he keeps in his pocket. Completely stopped grabbing himself after an adjustment period. Anytime we saw him pulling at it, we reminded him of his blocks. He created a new brain pattern

Okay, so you had him carry it in his pocket and reminded him it was there when you noticed him pulling on himself? How long before he would naturally turn to the object instead of himself? That is encouraging. It's definitely a sensory thing here as well.

I have to say, if I remember correctly, it took several weeks, but once the new pattern was established, we never had a problem with it again. He is 13 now, and still carries the megablocks in his pocket, but will leave them in the car when we go in places like church, the store etc, then fiddle with them as soon as we get in the car. He does do some stimulating of that area when he goes to bed at night, but only in the form of laying on top of his hands fully clothed and rocking back and forth, and only in his room at night.

Remind him "Put your pickle in your pants!". When one of my twins was about six and his hand used to creep into his pants I'd remind him that he "Did not need to check on it - it wasn't going to crawl down his leg and escape!" He'd laugh, and stop. I think constant reminders, done with slight humor if you can manage it, are better than going all punitive on them.

Yes, his absentmindedness absolutely affects his life. We have had him evaluated and he is not on "the spectrum" but he does have problems with sensory integration. We have been working on it for years. A ball or squishy toy might work, but because of his absentmindedness I worry that it would always just get lost, or the babies would end up with it. Usually this is while he is concentrating on something, like a game, waiting for his turn, etc.

I do not think it is due to infection, he has never complained of any pain and it doesn't seem like he is itching or uncomfortable. Just fiddling around with it hanging out for everyone to see. :confused1:

Right, so you would have to be the keeper of it initially and give it him before he starts playing a game or waiting. Is he in OT or anything? My dd's speech teacher gave her some of that chewy rope and I hand it to her before I turn anything on the TV because that is when she does things like lick her lips a million times. It has helped tremendously. But it had to come from me for weeks, then she started asking for it.

If he's got some sensory issues, I'd try to replace it with a chewy necklace. The easiest way to quickly satisfy sensory stuff is through the pants or mouth.

If he has a necklace and you put it on him, he will not lose it.

I'd also stick him in a leotard or overalls to restrict access while redirecting.

Mine picks his nose or messes with his pants while watching stuff or doing something otherwise inactive. I've found that heavy stuff piled on him helps a lot.

This is basically the technique I would use if working with a kid in therapy to replace one habit with another. It is very difficult to stop a habit, but it is an easier transition if another, more socially appropriate habit, is substituted. For nose pickers, I have used a necklace to fidget with. A squishy ball in a boy's pocket would work, in addition to wearing a belt or some tighter pants. It is important not to overreact in a negative or punitive manner. (I know that the OP is not doing this, but it needs to be stated as a general principle.) Just a simple reminder and lather, rinse, repeat is what is needed.

If he's got some sensory issues, I'd try to replace it with a chewy necklace. The easiest way to quickly satisfy sensory stuff is through the pants or mouth. If he has a necklace and you put it on him, he will not lose it. I'd also stick him in a leotard or overalls to restrict access while redirecting. Mine picks his nose or messes with his pants while watching stuff or doing something otherwise inactive. I've found that heavy stuff piled on him helps a lot.

Do you mean those candy necklaces? Or is there another type of chewy necklace? I don't necessarily want to be constantly giving him candy necklaces. When he has his winter coat on, the collar comes above his neck and he is CONSTANTLY chewing on it. So yes, I can see how the pants/mouth are major sensory areas.

This is not age expected behavior at all. I would look for other indications of special needs.

What do you mean? Do you mean on top of the sensory/neurodevelopmental stuff I've already mentioned? I have had him evaluated by multiple professionals and they all say he is an extremely pleasant, social child who is absolutely NOT on the autism spectrum. Since he is not on the spectrum, there is very little help I can get for him.

yeah, ugh. He is very skinny so his pants hang down and he just whips it right out. This is so discouraging, anyone looking at him can FULLY see it. We'd have to put his pants up around his belly button or above.

I'd thread elastic through the back of the waistband to make the waist tight. Otherwise, I'd just keep reminding him....

Laura

Do you mean those candy necklaces? Or is there another type of chewy necklace? I don't necessarily want to be constantly giving him candy necklaces. When he has his winter coat on, the collar comes above his neck and he is CONSTANTLY chewing on it. So yes, I can see how the pants/mouth are major sensory areas.

I used to hang ChewyTubes around the boys' necks when they used to chew their shirts.

Laura

A really great, and I mean GREAT book about things to do that helps with sensory seeking, stimulation, etc. Is The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun. I used it years ago, and recently recommended it to a friend whose child has been evaluated for the spectrum, but not diagnosed. She said it made a huge difference in her daughter to have a sensory "diet" There is also a companion book that goes more into detail about Sensory Intergration Disorder. I am NOT saying that your child has Sensory intergration disorder, I just want to pass a long a great book about things sensory. I have a daughter who by no means is anywhere near needing an evaluation and she likes doing some of the activities, like joint compressions.

Remind him "Put your pickle in your pants!". When one of my twins was about six and his hand used to creep into his pants I'd remind him that he "Did not need to check on it - it wasn't going to crawl down his leg and escape!" He'd laugh, and stop. I think constant reminders, done with slight humor if you can manage it, are better than going all punitive on them.

Yeah, when my son has occasionally done this, I return the favor - fondle my bre*st in front of him if he's doing that to himself. He gets all wigged out, and I laugh and say, "Well, if you don't want to see me do this, why do you think I want to see you do that?" It ends with a lot of giggling and eye rolling and that's that.

Good luck -- you will find a cure!

Our DS chews his nails to the extent that there is nothing left, and then he starts chewing the skin of his fingers. In our case, it is a nervous habit. We tried everything!

Lately, we reward him when we catch him not doing it, and it has been helping. Especially, when he goes to bite his nails and stops himself. When he says 'Mom, I was going to bite' ... he gets a reward. Maybe something similar would work. Our DS is very sensory, we have every chew toy and squishing thing known to man - we do gum and lollipos through the day and lots of other sensory breaks.

However, by far, the most productive thing has been positive attention for stopping himself, or asking for help, with the 'undesired' behavior.

Hope this helps - good luck.

I'd get him a belt and maybe tie something to it so that it's there when he absentmindedly reaches for it.

Look for some things like a squishy ball, etc. on a clip key chain or something you can put on a lanyard so that he can wear it around his neck (safety one) or clip to one of his belt loops. That way he is less likely to loose it.

Sorry you have had trouble with getting help. A child can NOT be on the spectrum but still have sensory and other needs that OT and other therapies can help.

I agree with attaching a squishy toy to a belt loop. I think sending him off to privacy is okay, but it might not help the absent-mindedness. I also agree with OT. It made a major difference to our son (different manifestations, but he was like a different kid.) You should probably get ADD checked out.

What I don't agree with is the hand-washing bit because it gives the message that his private parts are dirty. They are not. It does not make one "unclean" to touch a pen is. I wouldn't want to give that message.

What I don't agree with is the hand-washing bit because it gives the message that his private parts are dirty. They are not. It does not make one "unclean" to touch a pen is. I wouldn't want to give that message.

Really? Wild you touch yourself or your husband down there and then turn to normal activities without washing your hands? I wouldn't! That's just gross. If I see my kid touching his private parts, you better believe he is going to wash his hands before touching anything else in the house.

Really? Wild you touch yourself or your husband down there and then turn to normal activities without washing your hands? I wouldn't! That's just gross. If I see my kid touching his private parts, you better believe he is going to wash his hands before touching anything else in the house.

I do agree with this. We have had an issue where a certain adult male in this house, who will remain unnamed, has enjoyed scratching his nether regions and when he then puts an arm around me I get this....offensive smell emanating off of his arm/hand. :ack2:

I<snip> What I don't agree with is the hand-washing bit because it gives the message that his private parts are dirty. They are not. It does not make one "unclean" to touch a pen is. I wouldn't want to give that message.

Eww. Are the people you shake hands with aware of your thoughts on the matter, lol?

In all seriousness, a matter of fact washing of the hands after touching the privates does not automatically send a message that they are unclean (in the negative, psychological way). And, you know, he is a very absent minded, very young boy. His parts probably are a bit dirty ;)