Menu

White Dishes

Oak Knoll Mom

I had all white dishes for probably 12 years. I boxed them up about 2 years ago and now use Fiestaware in different colors. From one extreme to the next, huh?

I enjoyed the all white for the season in my life when I used them. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again as my special dishes. They do make a for a prettily set table when I get the crystal glasses out too.

I have a back up set of white dishes but what I really love is my mixed up set of Fiesta Ware! I have a couple of different colors and I absolutely love them. I also pull out my white dishes with my fiesta ware if I am feeding crowd. That way, nothing matches and so everything does! It does drive my organized loving dh crazy but he likes how happy the cheerful colors make me.

I love color too. I have thought about buying some new dishes. My MIL has about 10 different sets so DH wouldn't think I was crazy, but I still can't bring myself to spend money on it because we have so many dishes!

I boxed a ton up and gave them away. I LOVE Fiesta ware. One or two colors with white. They are having a huge sale right now at MAcy's on them so I bought my mom some too. They are impossible to break and they stack nicely.

I boxed a ton up and gave them away. I LOVE Fiesta ware. One or two colors with white. They are having a huge sale right now at MAcy's on them so I bought my mom some too. They are impossible to break and they stack nicely.

Hmmm... I could use a Christmas present of Fiestaware while you are buying. Hint. Hint. :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

I just bought white plates a few weeks ago. They're not our everyday dishes (I have a set that was passed down from my grandmother for that), but I plan to bring them out for Thanksgiving and other special meals. What I did was buy different, more exciting dessert plates:

umm....oops. not sure what happened with the image. anyway. patch dessert plates with owls and rabbits and whatnot. you can google if you really want to see!

These are the Patch plates from Target....and use those with the white plates (on top, when I set the table). That way, I reason, I can eventually get a few different sets of smaller plates (I also got gold chargers to go under the white) and have different sets of dishes for the price of just the dessert plates.

We have had white Pfaltzgraff since our wedding 21 years ago. I love having white because I can buy any other pattern in white and everything will still match :D

I drool over some of the Fiestaware colors, especially the red. Perhaps I should get some colored pieces to mix in with my white...

• Like 1

Hmmm... I could use a Christmas present of Fiestaware while you are buying. Hint. Hint. :lol: :lol:

What colors do you like? My mom likes the paprika. So far I only have the aqua..or is it turqoise. I like that bright lime green

And the pitchers are so cute! And the sugar /creamer set. Though I really don't use one.

I had white dinner plates for quite a while, and I loved them. My set was a little different, b/c the dinner plates were white, but the salad plates were pale aqua and the bowls were pale blue. It was a pretty set, and a different twist on plain white. We packed them away when we moved here b/c the plates didn't fit in the cabinets, and now we have white Corelle plates with olive green and grey stripes around the edge. Someday I want to get a home that has no upper cabinets, only open shelves, and I want all white dishes.

We have white dishes with a delicate gray flower design down one side. They're nice, because they still match with pretty much everything, but the small design keeps them from being too boring. I like them much better than the more colorful dishes I've had in the past, because it's so much easier to find placemats, cloth napkins, etc. that match. I generally use the white dishes with more colorful placemats and serving bowls for everyday meals, and for holidays I'll do all white with a colorful centerpiece.

What colors do you like? My mom likes the paprika. So far I only have the aqua..or is it turqoise. I like that bright lime green

And the pitchers are so cute! And the sugar /creamer set. Though I really don't use one.

I have one round set of each color. The sugar/creamer set is next on my list. I"m trying to decide which color. I did the dark purple for the S&P shakers and the cobalt for the butter dish.

I need new every day dishes. My sister-in-law is trying to talk me into getting all white. Her reasoning is that I can mix and match serving pieces, dress it up or down depending on the centerpiece. I get her reasons, but it just seems like it could get boring. What says the hive? Are white dishes a good option?

I had all white dishes for probably 12 years. I boxed them up about 2 years ago and now use Fiestaware in different colors. From one extreme to the next, huh?

I enjoyed the all white for the season in my life when I used them. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again as my special dishes. They do make a for a prettily set table when I get the crystal glasses out too.

I went from colored to white IKEA 365 series and like them. Who knows what I will want in a few years but for now it's good, it's right. :laugh:

I started with Fiestaware when we got married, and just last year switched to all white at dh's request. He has pieces in all different shapes and sizes and sets a beautiful table.

• Like 1

I love color and have some pottery pieces for the kitchen. However, when cash flow eases up, I'd like to buy a passel of white dishes. I sometimes do "fancy" dinners for as many as 25 people and the white would be so much more flexible than piecing together the china I own. Easier cleanup, too, since a nice white plate can look as dressy as fine china, but doesn't have to be hand washed.

I love color and have some pottery pieces for the kitchen. However, when cash flow eases up, I'd like to buy a passel of white dishes. I sometimes do "fancy" dinners for as many as 25 people and the white would be so much more flexible than piecing together the china I own. Easier cleanup, too, since a nice white plate can look as dressy as fine china, but doesn't have to be hand washed.

The Williams Sonoma pantry ware is very elegant and sturdy. The pieces are big. I have the dinner plates, pasta rim bowls and cereal bowls. I LOVE them. They are not expensive. And oven safe

• Like 1

The Williams Sonoma pantry ware is very elegant and sturdy. The pieces are big. I have the dinner plates, pasta rim bowls and cereal bowls. I LOVE them. They are not expensive. And oven safe

Thanks for the recommendation! The "oven-safe" is a big plus. Now the trick is to stay out of W-S until I have the $$$ saved up. I actually live about 5 minutes down the road from a W-S store.... tempting!

We have white dishes with different textures around the edges. They are all the same shape though. I mix them with fiesta ware serving dishes, and fun place mats and tablecloths. We have had several get broken and I love being able to pick up a couple new ones from a thrift store or Walmart. As long as they are white and round they match.

I went from colored to white IKEA 365 series and like them. Who knows what I will want in a few years but for now it's good, it's right. :laugh:

I just bought white dishes from Ikea myself. I like them. They look classy and I can use all kinds of fun tablecloths without worrying about being a matching disaster.

I just bought white dishes from Ikea myself. I like them. They look classy and I can use all kinds of fun tablecloths without worrying about being a matching disaster.

Well, I just spent an hour looking at white dishes on Pinterest and ebay, and I think I'm going to do it. I have so much color on my walls, that I think the white dishes will be just what I need.

I think you will really enjoy white dishes. I love mine. Butler's Pantry by Lenox has several patterns that you can mix and match in the same beautiful soft white color.

I agree with the poster who said food looks better on white dishes.

I agree. I also like being able to choose different colored linens without having to think about what color my plates are.

• Like 1

I have white fiestaware. I've only had these for a little over a year, but my previous set was also white. I do have gusto bowls in peacock and lemongrass.

Do yours get silverware marks? Half of my Fiestaware is white and the other half is lemongrass and peacock. The white pieces are showing quite a bit of little grey marks on them.

Do yours get silverware marks? Half of my Fiestaware is white and the other half is lemongrass and peacock. The white pieces are showing quite a bit of little grey marks on them.

I was just reading about this and there are several people in the blogosphere that say Bar Keeper's Friend will get those marks off.

• Like 1

I was just reading about this and there are several people in the blogosphere that say Bar Keeper's Friend will get those marks off.

I've actually heard this, and I guess I need to just try it. It's just hard to imagine that if comet or a steel wool pad won't remove it, that another brand of scouring powder will. Must be something I need to see to believe. If it works, there are most likely a few other things around here to try it out on.

I've actually heard this, and I guess I need to just try it. It's just hard to imagine that if comet or a steel wool pad won't remove it, that another brand of scouring powder will. Must be something I need to see to believe. If it works, there are most likely a few other things around here to try it out on.

Bar Keepers Friend has a secret ingredient that those other things don't ... magic. I don't know exactly how it works but that stuff has cleaned messes that other cleaners haven't been able to in my house.

• Like 3

I got a full set of beautiful fiestaware when I got married 14 years ago. I have 1 bowl left. sigh.

I actually started collecting the corelle winter frost white dishes. I am surprised by how much I love them. I always think of corelle as "old lady dishes" but they look so elegant with a holiday charger. They haven't gotten broken either.

Bar keeper's friend is available in a liquid form, altho it can be harder to find. I tried the powder and never liked it. My friend told me to get the liquid form at the dollar store..and wow, that stuff is amazing. It is also available at Home Depot or Lowe's in their cleaner section. It's a 3.00 bottle, but it's 3 times the size of the dollar store one. Mr. Clean erasers will take most gray marks off as well.

I have white dishes. I have never had new dishes. most of the ones I have came from my great grandfather's estate, and it was not a complete set even then. they are all old and chipped. the good thing about white is that I can pick up the odd plate at the op shop and at least the colour is the same.

• Like 1

We have cheap dark brown plates from Walmart and they have lasted for about three years. We got them on like 75% off clearance. So far they have done great. DH broke one bowl, but we glued it back together (that one gets stuck at the bottom of the stack - but it doesn't leak!) and one cup has chipped, but so far that is the extent of it. When my kids get older, or I have more money, whichever comes first, I am torn between Pfalzgraff Naturewood, Fiestaware, or some very classic design... I do like the appeal of white dishes being able to switch out napkin/table cloth colors easily, but we don't use table cloths with the kids. Too many accidents...