Menu

Aww, I'm kinda sad this is split off--and a real question

Chris in VA

I think it's just that I don't like change...

So do you think the General Board will become sort of "dead?" I mean, MOST of the stuff on there is chat now.

Will everyone make the transition?

WILL YOU PEOPLE CONTINUE TO POST MASSIVE, KILT/TEA/HILARITY-CONTAINING THREADS LATE AT NIGHT?

Please say yes.

I don't think the General Board will die. It will take a different life, that's for sure. But there are some educational threads that were buried so quickly that it made it pointless to post them to start with.

And it will make it easier (at least on me!) to choose which board to read based on my available time. I'm only on GB/Chat when I have lots of time to waste

Thanks, Susan.

I think there are a lot of us with some pretty serious "out of my control" areas in our lives, and so we resist change in areas that seem "stable." :D

I absolutely understand the board separation and hope it helps people find what will be useful in their homeschooling!

Change/being flexible can be good. Change/being flexible can be good.

Rinse, repeat.

I agree.

Oh my, some of us would make awful parents of kids in school. :ohmy:

LOL--I'm a horrible ps parent, for one example. I don't do fundraisers. I don't volunteer in the classroom. I let homework be dd's responsibility.

I did go to the 5 minute mini-conferences with the 7th grade teachers, but I didn't see all of them.

I refuse to join the PTA.

I'm terrible.

Dd got straight A's this quarter, likes school, and does her homework, nonetheless.

LOL--I'm a horrible ps parent, for one example. I don't do fundraisers. I don't volunteer in the classroom. I let homework be dd's responsibility.

I did go to the 5 minute mini-conferences with the 7th grade teachers, but I didn't see all of them.

I refuse to join the PTA.

I'm terrible.

Dd got straight A's this quarter, likes school, and does her homework, nonetheless.

I don't think I could get use to the fact I can pick everything, and do everything my way.

I suspect the GB will be dead, but that there'll be plenty of kilts and cupcakes here on the chat board for everyone. :D
If people find this board, the general board will probably just die off. It will all just move here. So, no real difference!

:iagree:

I wish this board was located more towards the top though.

Me too. This will be my first stop now.

This needs a bigger announcement. I read several threads this morning before I saw a reference to the chat board and then noticed the banner at the top.

I suspect the GB will be dead, but that there'll be plenty of kilts and cupcakes here on the chat board for everyone. :D

So, the GB will have threads about schooling multiple children, what Disney HS days are, giveaways and sales on hs books, reviews of pencil sharpeners (!), how to deal with MIL who hate homeschooling, cute things our homeschoolers said at the Getty.

The chat board will have rants about misbehaving people in public, sales on kilts, reviews of vacuum cleaners, how to deal with MIL who hate us in general, cute pictures of newborn babies and newly-adopted puppies.

Is this what is envisioned? (Just trying to comply here.)

So, the GB will have threads about schooling multiple children, what Disney HS days are, giveaways and sales on hs books, reviews of pencil sharpeners (!), how to deal with MIL who hate homeschooling, cute things our homeschoolers said at the Getty.

The chat board will have rants about misbehaving people in public, sales on kilts, reviews of vacuum cleaners, how to deal with MIL who hate us in general, cute pictures of newborn babies and newly-adopted puppies.

Is this what is envisioned? (Just trying to comply here.)

You forgot to confirm where read aloud threads should stay.

:) I'm assuming the General Board.

I don't think I could get use to the fact I can pick everything, and do everything my way.

This would be my son's issue. He understand how wonderful his homeschooling life is. He also states (as a non-morning person) what time he'd amble into school each day if he were in public school. I just laugh because he'd have so many detentions and he negotiate his way out of most of them. I' may be raising a future late night tech support person. Thankfully this works out because I'm not a morning person either.

I read several threads this morning before I saw a reference to the chat board and then noticed the banner at the top.

I tried to open a thread I've been following, but there was an arrow next to it saying it had been moved. What? Moved to where? Then I saw the notice about this board. :D

I think this will be good. There are general education threads on the GB and but they tend to get lost.

So do you think the General Board will become sort of "dead?" I mean, MOST of the stuff on there is chat now.

WILL YOU PEOPLE CONTINUE TO POST MASSIVE, KILT/TEA/HILARITY-CONTAINING THREADS LATE AT NIGHT?

Please say yes.

I guess there are a lot of homeschool-related questions that show up on the general boards-documents on ipads, managing toddlers, that sort of thing. I guess this will allow those questions to be seen and answered more easily (unless people are just coming straight to this board, the way they did the general board and therefore won't see the questions, just like many people don't mess with the curriculum board). I will still post to late-night kilt hilarity, just here instead of on the general board, I guess. When I don't have a cold. Which, right now I do. So, my cold-medicine scrambled brain may not be grasping all of the implications that other people are seeing. I may need some serious caffeine.

Please say yes.

I have no doubt people will continue the kilt/tea/hilarity threads. One thing that's crossed my mind is that not as many people will see the general homeschooling questions because fewer people will be browsing that board. But according to the reasoning, not many people were seeing the general homeschooling questions that were being buried anyway.

Guess we'll have to wait and see!

Please say yes.

Chris, you know they will. Fear not! But the difference is it will be on this forum and not the homeschool related one - unless someone makes kilts an official homeschool uniform... :laugh:

Look there is a LOT of change I can endure, but if the official uniform is being changed to something lousy...like denim jumpers...I'm out of here! I have lobbied long and hard for the yellow and black tartan kilt, sweater, and scarf look and I'm NOT donning a jumper. A woman has to draw a line somewhere.

:biggrinjester:

Faith

I don't think the General Board will die. It will take a different life, that's for sure. But there are some educational threads that were buried so quickly that it made it pointless to post them to start with.

And it will make it easier (at least on me!) to choose which board to read based on my available time. I'm only on GB/Chat when I have lots of time to waste

This. I hated posting home school related things on the General Board because they were buried and ignored. Too many people were busy posting about kilts or whatever, and legit home school concerns were not addressed.

I'm very glad they are separate now.

I have to say, it is very comforting to see that I'm not alone in my resistance to change. My dh is soooo laid back, very go-with-the-flow, and then there is me. I haven't updated my IOS on my phone, I would still be using Windows XP if I hadn't gotten a new computer and, well... you get the idea. I was out of town when the board changes took place and I'm l-o-s-t.

Yes, we really do hate change. I'm pretty much a "Who Moved my Cheese?" kind of girl. But, I do see the reasoning for splitting chat from general education, and we will all get used to it. Someday. :)

And I *was* a public school parent for a few years. It wasn't terribly pretty. :D I was involved in PTA, was homeroom mom, etc. It was the only way I could have SOME semblance of control and have my hands in things, LOL!! :rofl:

Thank you Susan, for being patient with us as we whine and try to figure things out!!

Well see I thought the k-8 and high school boards were the education boards and the general was everything else. So now it's k-8, high school, general education, and general (chat)?

It just seems like more stuff for me to keep up with, but either way it's turning out to be ok.

Well, that was how I saw it too. I always thought it worked pretty well, but sounds like others thought some things were getting lost in the shuffle. I think I'll have to make an effort at first to remember to check all the different boards, but before long, it'll seem like it's always been this way!!

After spending some time today on both boards...I think I like the split. I have always been a little intimidated by the General Board. But I don't really want to talk about curriculum anymore. Now I can decide how outgoing I feel--whether I want to talk general education topics or if I feel up to actual chit-chat.

I absolutely agree :)