Menu

I have some questions about owning a DOG.

My ds wants a puppy for Christmas so bad he can taste it. To say dh and I are hesitant would be an understatement.

When we first married we got two dogs from the pound.. Beagle-lab mixes. We had them for 10 years and it was awful. They were the worst dogs ever. I can't believe how much stuff they destroyed in those years. I am talking major, expensive damage. When we were finally able to get rid of them, I danced a jig.

We also had two cats for a long time. They were awesome cats. But we had to leave them with my brother when we moved here. So no pets for us for the last 3 years. But ds is BEGGING and I feel like a crotchety old lady saying no. So here are my questions:

Is it possible to litter train a small dog? I can't stand the idea of my tiny yard having piles of dog poop all over. That's one thing I remember about my dogs... Thinking you had found all the piles and then bam... Step in one.

Are there any smaller dog breeds that are known for being mild-mannered, not barking excessively, etc.? Or is this not a breed issue but an individual dog personality issue?

Are there dog breeds that are known for not chewing or digging as much? Our dogs never stopped even after 10 years. They once dug up all our utility lines and chewed our telephone line in half which cost us hundreds of dollars to fix. They chewed and destroyed my entire Dept. 56 christmas village. It was worth thousands.

Can you tell I am traumatized? The fact I am even considering this is a testament to my love for my son. :)

I'd appreciate any advice... Maybe I just want to be talked out of it? But I can't bear disappointing my little guy. Or maybe you can talk me into it? Convince me it won't be so bad this time?

My ds wants a puppy for Christmas so bad he can taste it.

Get him a hot dog and hope he's satisfied?

I can't convince you because I clean houses part time for extra income. Even the cleanest people with dogs have houses that are dirtier than the messiest people (of the ones I clean for) without pets. There was a time I really wanted a dog—a beautiful husky, to fulfill a childhood dream. Then I cleaned up after other people's dogs and I realized I liked the idea of having a dog more than the reality. The fur. Oh god. The fur. You'll even find it in the fridge somehow. The smell (even groomed dogs smell). The scratches by the door and on furniture. Slobber all over windows and appliances. And that's not even counting accidents in the house, fleas, vet bills, etc.

Could your son volunteer at the Humane Society instead? He'll get to play with puppies, take dogs on walks...and find out how unfun cleaning up excrement is.

I've heard good things about shih tzu's being low-bark, low-fuss dogs. I have several friends at our yacht club who have pad-trained their little dogs so they can stay on their boats for extended time without worrying about the dog going to the bathroom.

Last Thanksgiving we got our scruffy terrier mix and she's awesome. NO digging, NO chewing (except her toys), very little barking except when someone rings the doorbell. And then it's only a startled bark or two, not continuous yapping. Honestly, she's been a dream dog. But, she is never left outside alone, nor is she left home alone out of her crate. Not because she is destructive, but because she is afraid and the crate makes her feel secure. She is with me about 90% of the time, including now at 3 in the morning while I lie in bed awake typing this. :D

Well, on the optomistic side, if your experience were considered "normal", there would be FAR fewer dog owners in the world! So no, you are not doomed to have a repeat.

I'm under the impression that beagles can be rather difficult, but I have no personal experience.

On the pessimistic side, a well-behaved dog of any breed takes a lot of time and effort. A LOT.

I am not a fan of dogs doing their business in common areas so mine are trained to go in their own section of the yard, but there are times that does not happen. Their area is supposed to be scooped daily, but there are times that doesn't happen, either. I don't know about litter training small dogs, but it does not sound like fun to me. Inside or out, you still have to pick up poop! At least outside you don't have to clean up urine, too!

FWIW, I have definitely been known to find pet hair (dog and cat) in my fridge and freezer, lol. Not in food, but stuck to shelves and whatnot.

I love my dogs (and cats), but they are work. Lots of work. Even with multiple children who help feed, walk, train, groom, etc., there's always more work for me!

You're a good mom. :Angel_anim: I grew up in a home that always had a dog and I've felt like I've cheated my kids. My kids never wanted a dog badly enough to convince me that they'd help out with one. We had labs and beagle mixes and they were a handful even when they had the freedom of the outdoors to run off their energy.

Do you have access to reputable dog obedience training? Honestly I can't see this working out for you without a committment to train both the two and four-footed family members.

My friend claims her chihuahua is paper trained. I have personal doubts because of little puddles and piles around house. But they are little. When I was growing up another friend had a 3 foot square giant metal box lined with paper in her basement, her german shepherd did seem to have her emergencies there.

Crate training is a definate must.IMO Our dog loved his crate and had a complete breakdown if left home alone without being put in. While I adored my dog we spent a fortune on his health care.

We also live out of the US for most of the year but we return for a couple of months in the winter. That would be really hard for any animal. Even staying at a friends would not be easy. So we haven't gone down the pet road here. My dc's are good with it but they love to travel and know their spontaneous trips would have to end with pet responsibilities.

Good luck with this decision. I know it is a big one.

:grouphug:

You might take a look at a bischon. My in-laws have on that is very sweet and pretty smart. They have not taken the time to train her, but dh and I have both been around her enough without the IL's around to recognize that she would be easy to train right. They do have hair that grows fast.

Yes husky hair is tough to deal with, our last dog was a husky and our current dog is a poodle which doesn't shed at all. I have seen yorkies paper trained so yes you can train them to go inside. Any puppy is going to misbehave and chew things, you just have to teach them not too. Any dog is going to take time and money. Our dogs become part of our family. My house gets dirtier because of our dog, but if you read information on kids, allergies, and dogs, that may just not be so bad.

Is it possible to litter train a small dog? I can't stand the idea of my tiny yard having piles of dog poop all over. That's one thing I remember about my dogs... Thinking you had found all the piles and then bam... Step in one.

Yes, it's quite possible to litter box train a small dog, or use puppy "wee wee" pads. We got a Shih Tzu puppy almost one year ago, and I initially trained him to wee wee pads. In the past month I've transitioned him to doing his business totally outside. But the "piles" in the back yard are quite easily dealt with, too. Simply get a pooper picker upper (there are several devices available at any pet store for that very purpose), go out with the dog and pick up as soon as he produces. That's the correct way to do it. I don't mean to offend, but allowing "piles" to accumulate in your yard is nasty. We've had as many as three large dogs at a time and never, ever were there "piles" in our yard. It's a habit one gets into, as is doing the little bit of extra cleaning needed to keep a home nice and fresh smelling when there are pets in the home.

Are there any smaller dog breeds that are known for being mild-mannered, not barking excessively, etc.? Or is this not a breed issue but an individual dog personality issue?

Shih Tzus in general fit that bill. Ours rarely barks. But even within a breed there will be wide variations in personality. And of course excessive barking is also a training issue.

Are there dog breeds that are known for not chewing or digging as much? Our dogs never stopped even after 10 years. They once dug up all our utility lines and chewed our telephone line in half which cost us hundreds of dollars to fix. They chewed and destroyed my entire Dept. 56 christmas village. It was worth thousands.

Again, I don't mean to offend, but I'm trying to be as honest as possible -- Most destructive chewing and digging in dogs beyond the puppy stage is due to boredom, lack of training and/or not being supplied with a variety of acceptable chew toys. In other words, it's more of an owner issue than a dog issue. Our Brittany (spaniel) destroyed almost all the screening on our porch when he was a puppy. And it was totally my fault for not supervising him better, not training him that the screening was off limits and not meeting his exercise needs. I hit myself over the head with quite a few newspapers for that incident, and for being such a bad owner. And I used it as a learning experience.

I'd appreciate any advice... Maybe I just want to be talked out of it? But I can't bear disappointing my little guy. Or maybe you can talk me into it? Convince me it won't be so bad this time?

Truthfully, I think you should not get a dog. IMO it's simply not fair to bring a dog into a home where everybody, or at least all the adults in the family, don't actively want the dog. And make no mistake, you will be the dog's main caregiver.

Perhaps you could find some kind of compromise with your son? Some type of small, caged pet like a hamster, guinea pig or lizard? Or another cat, since it sounds like you liked your former cats?

I would not get anyone a puppy for Christmas, especially if I were hesitant about having a dog. First, I would go here, and read the stickies, especially in the first time owner/basic questions, training, grooming, and food forums. http://www.dogforums.com/

Then I would go here and read about the different groups and breeds of dogs: http://www.akc.org/ . This was helpful to me because some groups were not my cup of tea, given what I was looking for in a family pet.

Then I would go here and read Dr. Ian Dunbar's Digital Dog Training Textbook. The first two chapter titles are Before You Get Your Puppy and Raising a Puppy. http://www.dogstarda...aining-textbook

I would carefully consider which characteristics the ideal breed for our family would have. For this, I relied on internet research and on this book, Your Purebred Puppy: A Buyer's Guide: http://www.amazon.co...wms_ohs_product . I took breed selection tests online, visited breed-specific websites, especially those of dog breed clubs, and visited breed-specific forums.

I did not consider getting a mixed breed dog because I wanted to be as certain as possible about the temperaments, characteristics, and health of our dogs since they would be part of a family which included children. Here is an interesting article on mixed breed dogs: http://news.vin.com/...rticleId=23206. [This link doesn't lead you to the article; don't know why. If you put 23206 in the search bar, the article comes up.]

I have nothing against mixed breed dogs, btw. My next dog will probably be one, and it will be an adult dog.

Dogs take up a lot of time. I figured out that it takes me up to three hours a day to properly care for my dog, given that I want him to have the optimal happy life. That sounds like a lot of time, but it includes training, playing, exercise, and grooming. I don't always have three hours a day to devote to him, but I give it my best shot every day.

My soft coated wheaten terrier is a non-shedding, single coated dog. Non-shedding means that the breed does not shed hair onto surfaces in your home. It means the dog's hair sheds along the hair shaft. You have to comb and brush it out completely -- every day until its adult coat comes in, and several times a week thereafter. Otherwise, you end up with a matted mess that is painful to the dog. So the trade-off is lots of shed hair around the house or lots of time grooming, sometimes both. My rough collie had a lot of hair. He went to the groomer once a month ($75-$100) and I brushed him completely several times a week. We did not have much of a dog hair problem in our house as long as I also vacuumed every day or two. A friend of mine has a smooth collie (short hair) who sheds constantly on everyone and everything, even though he is brushed daily.

I have never had a dog that smelled bad. Some dogs do smell -- I have heard and read many times that hounds, for example, often smell doggy. Some dogs have an odor due to their poor diet. A good resource to help determine which food is best for your dog is here: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ .

If your dog is housebroken, then you ought to clean the yard every day. A pooper scooper is a great tool for this.

My pick of small dogs for you is the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I meet a lot of ill behaved small dogs while I am walking my Lab and these small dogs are never poorly behaved.

You may have difficulty finding one in time for Christmas, but I would say it would be for the best not to get a Christmas day dog anyway.

As for the litter training, maybe, but I would say that 14 and 8 yo boys can also be trained to pick up dog poop (I don't know which of yours wants a dog). Talk a lot about that, go for a walk and take some dog poop bags and let him learn what it is like before committing.

My mother lives in NYC in a high rise building and has her poodle trained to go on wee wee pads. He does go outside but he is 100% house trained. He only weighs 7 pound so there is not much mess. He does need to be groomed monthly but he does not shed (not anything that I have noticed). He definitely is not a barky yappy type of dog. He barks if someone is at the door but that is about it. He is amazing with children (she got him when my kids were 3 and 6).

I would not get one for Christmas but would do a ton of research.

What if you decide to come back to the USA or move to another country? Will the dog be able to come with you?

I honestly don't believe you should get a dog. I understand that you had a very difficult experience with your last dogs. Anyone would have been frustrated. However--and I'm just trying to be frank, not unkind--anyone who speaks of "dancing a jig" when they "got rid of" two old dogs should not get another one.

This is a major, life-changing decision for your family AND for the dog. If you are hesitant AT ALL, please don't do it.

I don't know how much of a deal these issues would be for you, but consider these things:

Travel - going away for extended periods (like to the US) or shorter periods (like to another country or city for the weekend) will be extremely difficult with a dog that needs care multiple times a day.

IIRC, you are in a predominately Muslim country where there may be cultural issues with housepets, particularly dogs that go outside and then bring the dirt back into the house. In a country where everyone takes off their shoes upon entering a home, you will have to wipe/wash your dogs paws each and every time he goes outside to keep your house clean (that's the protocol here).

Space is so much more of an issue outside the US. Consider whether you really do have the space for a dog.

DD wants a dog. I've said no because of the reasons above. She gets her "fix" from her aunt's dogs. Besides, one day I hope to bring our cats here and I'm not doing animal introductions all over again (did it once, no fun).

I'm a dog lover. The dog in my avatar was my first "child". I still miss him. I've adopted 3 other German Shepherds since him, and the one I got last week is absolutely perfect. I can't imagine my life without a GSD or two in the house.

That said... I don't think you should get a dog. You clearly don't care for them, and it sounds like if anything goes wrong, you will get rid of them. When I purchase a puppy or adopt an older dog (I've done both), that dog is with me until it dies. The main exception would be if the dog showed aggression toward my kids. Then it would be out as fast as can be. But since I either start with a puppy of good temperament from a reputable breeder (avatar dog) or adopt from a rescue that does fostering and knows the temperaments of their dogs (last 3 dogs I've adopted), I know what I'm getting and know it won't be aggressive. If I were to move, I'd take my dogs with me. If I thought I might move in the future where I couldn't take my dogs, I would not get a dog in the first place. My dogs are members of the family. No, they aren't equal to the children - the children come first always. But the dogs (and cats) are close behind. I've taken responsbility for caring for these animals, and I need to see it through.

Dogs are work. You need to train them consistently. They're a bit like toddlers when it comes to training. Once you've trained them well, they can be great companions. The dog I got last week is already well mannered, and she's learning obedience commands very quickly. She's awesome. My other dogs have all gone through obedience classes with me and required vast amounts of my time. I love the results! But it sounds like you don't want to take that responsibilty, and while a child may say they will, in the end, the parents need to be willing to care for the dog if/when the child loses interest. So please don't get a dog unless YOU are willing to put the work into training and taking care of that dog.

Thank you so much for responding. It is giving me a lot to think on. It is major commitment. I understand that which is why I am so hesitant to do this. It is my 8yo that wants one. My 14yo has zero interest.

My 8yo has a soft heart and a love for animals so it is so hard to hear his "mommy can we please????" cries and not be moved. Then there's all these stories about boys and their dogs, etc. Ugh.

Cats are so easy. Dogs are so much work. Maybe I can talk him into a hamster?

That said... I don't think you should get a dog. You clearly don't care for them, and it sounds like if anything goes wrong, you will get rid of them.

That's quite a leap. I never said I don't like all dogs. In fact, growing up we had a few dogs which I loved and they were part of our family until they died.

And it was hardly a matter of if "anything" goes wrong.... I put up with TEN YEARS of my dogs destroying my home before one of them actually bit my ds when he was a baby. Even then, I didn't have the dog put down but found a family willing to take them both (they had always been together and I didn't want to separate them). I had PLENTY of reason to get rid of them sooner but I didn't because I knew I had an obligation to them even though every single one of my friends and family members said we should get rid of them for how awful they were.

So it has nothing to do with not liking all dogs or getting rid of them at the drop of a hat. The fact that I even posted this question shows that I am taking this decision seriously and not running out and buying a puppy on a whim.

I can understand being traumatized after having destructive and difficult dogs :grouphug: .

One of our dogs is a rescued shih-tzu/maltese mix. He actually behaves kind of cat-like. Definitely the least "doggy" of any dog I've ever had.

Another option you may want to consider is a Ragdoll cat. They are a large cat breed and they behave dog-like.

A pug.

Beagle/beagle crosses can be HORRENDOUS. There was an infamous beagle in my extended family, and it was an era I call the "you won't believe this" letters.

But really, best is to get to know an adoptable just-grown dog. I shopped around at the rescue societies. If you can't "read" dogs, take someone with you who can. Don't adopt because of cuteness or first love. Adopt for personality, and that will be hard to suss out in a cute widdly puppy.

I have never had a dog that chewed or destroyed our stuff. In terms of paper training, my miniature poodle is very smart. WHen he was put on a medication that made him urinate very frequently, he decided that the inside part of the house he should eliminate in was the bathroom where humans go. I added pee pads and he hasn't had any problems using them.

A pug.

Beagle/beagle crosses can be HORRENDOUS. There was an infamous beagle in my extended family, and it was an era I call the "you won't believe this" letters.

We had one of those. Her name was Happy Beagle. She loved to run. Once she somehow got herself over a six foot wooden fence. Another time she escaped from the car while we were on a Sunday drive in the mountains, three hours away from home. Four days later she showed up on our doorstep.

Get him a hot dog and hope he's satisfied?

I can't convince you because I clean houses part time for extra income. Even the cleanest people with dogs have houses that are dirtier than the messiest people (of the ones I clean for) without pets. There was a time I really wanted a dog—a beautiful husky, to fulfill a childhood dream. Then I cleaned up after other people's dogs and I realized I liked the idea of having a dog more than the reality. The fur. Oh god. The fur. You'll even find it in the fridge somehow. The smell (even groomed dogs smell). The scratches by the door and on furniture. Slobber all over windows and appliances. And that's not even counting accidents in the house, fleas, vet bills, etc.

Could your son volunteer at the Humane Society instead? He'll get to play with puppies, take dogs on walks...and find out how unfun cleaning up excrement is.

I agree. I am NOT a dog person. Yet we have one. The fantasy is far better than the reality if you're not a hardcore dog lover yourself. Because as much as your son wants one, you know the reality of it from your last two! I've met some awesome dogs in my time. Ones that were smarter and nicer than people. I've decided that they're allergic to me because I never end up with one. lol

I would also recommend against small dogs. It might be easier mess-wise with your yard situation, however, IME, they tend to be more aggressive and yappy and destructive. I'm sure there are exceptions out there, but the mini poodles and other breeds I've known would be the LAST choice I would make. Maybe look into adopting an older dog from a shelter that is good with kids and known to not be destructive? Then work heavily on training and using the pads? I hear if you feed a raw diet, that the "mess" is less of a problem in the yard. My dog has it's own area we just stay away from.

As someone who has had dogs, cats, rabbits and many other small animals my entire life, may I suggest getting a Chinese dwarf hamster? We have a pair of these, and they are very sweet and friendly once they are used to their owners, which takes about a week of consistent handling. My 7 year old loves them. On the other hand, we are now dealing with two hard to housebreak Maltese which my almost 10 year old son is completely in love with. They have caused conflict of all sorts in our family which I will not go into here. Dogs are like toddlers, in my experience.Hamsters live about two years and are very easy to care for. That is the pet I would start with in your situation.

I would NEVER suggest a puppy to a family that were not dog lovers. Find a small adult. Non shedding would probably be best. If it barks use a spray bottle on it. I'm guessing if you get a pup it'll drive you nuts with the house training and the chewing. If you get a dog that sheds, the hair will probably annoy you. I'd probably look for an adult Bichon cross or perhaps a Border terrier.

We had one of those. Her name was Happy Beagle. She loved to run. Once she somehow got herself over a six foot wooden fence. Another time she escaped from the car while we were on a Sunday drive in the mountains, three hours away from home. Four days later she showed up on our doorstep.

This one ate things: gorged on cow manure and barfed in car, ate the crotches out of all undies, devoured used diapers and had to go to vet, chewed buttons, ate wet cement and pooped out concrete, was sent for respite to camp and dug up the garden devouring worms and was banned. Also, got on roof and fell off, breaking leg, twice, had no bladder control and would wet on your shoes in excitement, etc. etc. etc.

Truthfully, I think you should not get a dog. IMO it's simply not fair to bring a dog into a home where everybody, or at least all the adults in the family, don't actively want the dog. And make no mistake, you will be the dog's main caregiver.

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

Please don't get a dog if either adult really doesn't want to have a dog. It's just not fair, to either the dog or your son. If all goes well, your son would adore the dog and would know every single day that you resent it. If he and the dog don't bond for some reason, you'll be tempted to dump that poor dog at a shelter, or it will live the rest of its life unloved and ignored.

And, like children, dogs are individuals. You can do all the research you want, talk with breeders, do every personality test you find on the internet, etc. The truth is that dogs don't come with guarantees about personality, behavior or any other characteristic. The teeny puppy we expected to be no more than 12 pounds as an adult is now a happy, healthy 22 pound bundle of dog. She's also, despite the fact that I did everything right and took her to classes and exposed her to all kinds of people and places, afraid of many people, most dogs, strollers, bicycles, plastic bags blowing in the wind . . .

Dogs need to be part of the family. If you aren't really, really up for that, please skip it.

And understand that I cannot imagine life without my dog, who is my best friend and near-constant companion. But she is a handful and has absolutely made our lives tougher in a variety of ways. We accept this, because we love her and consider her an integral part of our lives. But it would be dishonest of me to tell you that it's easy.

:iagree: From the tone of the original post, it almost seems like you need confirmation that you're not up for Worst Mom of the Year just because you don't want a dog. (Of course you're not.) But clearly, you're not a dog person, and puppies can try the patience of even the most hardcore dog-lovers. (My last one ate not one, not two, but *three*- count'em, three- holes in our walls as a puppy. Then there was the shower curtain.....and that spot on the hardwood floor.....and.....) And let me direct you once more to the bolded statement above. 8 yrs old is simply not old enough to take on all of the responsibilities of owning a dog.

What about a pet rat? They can be quite cuddly, and very intelligent! (I have never owned one, but I have met some very sweet ones!) Or a small bird? Something caged is going to be much easier on the adults in the family, and the daily routines can prepare your ds for owning a dog or cat in the future.

One more thing. Please don't ever give puppies as Christmas gifts. Christmas is the absolute worst time to introduce a dog to the family. Puppies need *constant* attention and supervision, and the whir of activity at Christmas can overwhelm a pup, and magnify their less appealing behavior traits (chewing/aggressiveness/anxiety.)

NO digging, NO chewing (except her toys), very little barking except when someone rings the doorbell. And then it's only a startled bark or two, not continuous yapping. Honestly, she's been a dream dog. But, she is never left outside alone, nor is she left home alone out of her crate. Not because she is destructive, but because she is afraid and the crate makes her feel secure. She is with me about 90% of the time, including now at 3 in the morning while I lie in bed awake typing this. :D

Sounds like our Australian Labradoodle, except we also have the benefit of no shedding.

But really, best is to get to know an adoptable just-grown dog. I shopped around at the rescue societies. If you can't "read" dogs, take someone with you who can. Don't adopt because of cuteness or first love. Adopt for personality, and that will be hard to suss out in a cute widdly puppy.

:iagree: I am not a betting person, but I'm willing to bet the awful experience you had before was due to the dogs being Beagle crosses. Every Beagle I have ever known was a horrible barking digging monster. They were at the pound for a reason, and being unknowledgable about dogs you made a (costly) mistake in adopting them. Add the fact that you got two to start with, and that is a recipe for disaster! Just because you were happy to be rid of them doesn't mean you couldn't love another (one) dog.

:iagree: I am not a betting person, but I'm willing to bet the awful experience you had before was due to the dogs being Beagle crosses. Every Beagle I have ever known was a horrible barking digging monster. They were at the pound for a reason, and being unknowledgable about dogs you made a (costly) mistake in adopting them. Add the fact that you got two to start with, and that is a recipe for disaster! Just because you were happy to be rid of them doesn't mean you couldn't love another (one) dog.

Yup. Beagles can be a huge, huge, HUGE challenge...not a breed I'd recommend for a first time owner, let alone TWO of them. My experience w/them would generally lead me to advising against the breed for anyone, tbh.

That being said, SpecialMama has a beagle. Her dd has done a *lot* of training w/her, and she's a lovely dog...but honestly, one I consider the exception to the rule.

I agree with the others that you should not get a dog unless you are willing to be the primary caregiver. An 8yo would not be able to do everything required for the dog.

If you do decide to get a dog, I would NOT recommend a puppy. Get a dog that is at least 1yo. A miniature poodle is probably your best bet if you want small. They don't shed and their energy level is not too high and they are very trainable.

Keep the dog indoors with you. Dogs that are with their people all the time are generally better-behaved. You can take care of the piles of poo problem by going out with the dog each time and picking up the poo right after it happens. Apartment dwellers always have to do this.

Definitely do crate training. It's a wonderful thing. Our current puppy is the first one we have ever crate-trained and we are SO happy we have done it. The crate takes care of many problems. If somebody doesn't have eyes on Kylie, then she has to be in her crate. If you always have somebody with eyes on the dog when the dog is out of the crate, then problems get taken care of immediately. The dog doesn't have time to completely destroy things.

NEVER NEVER NEVER have two puppies at the same time. Don't get two dogs at the same time either. You haven't reduced your workload by getting a 2nd puppy so they can play with each other. You have quadrupled your workload. You can HAVE two dogs (NOT puppies) at the same time, but never GET two dogs at the same time.

That being said, SpecialMama has a beagle. Her dd has done a *lot* of training w/her, and she's a lovely dog...but honestly, one I consider the exception to the rule.

There are some lovely beagles, but I think it is more genes. My sister did LOTS of training but instinct won. I've been told a third of beagles are lovely by a man whose had many (and I'm sorry to say he put down the "bad ones")

Our (now deceased) beagle was the most wonderful dog I've ever met. She was quiet and calm and laid-back and loved everyone. She was my heart dog, and not a day goes by that I don't miss her terribly. If all dogs could be half as good as she was . . .

I agree! I've worked with a few beagles here and while there are some amazing ones, they would NEVER be a breed I would recommend for a new dog owner, They require a lot of time, training, and experience, and of course, leashes and good fences as they do have a pretty intense drive to run.

What about a pet rat? They can be quite cuddly, and very intelligent! (I have never owned one, but I have met some very sweet ones!) Or a small bird? Something caged is going to be much easier on the adults in the family, and the daily routines can prepare your ds for owning a dog or cat in the future.

Rats are definitely very intelligent and can be quite dog-like in their affection for their owners. A friend of mine had a pet rat who became ill. When she took him to the vet, she was told the rat's condition was terminal. Arriving back home, she started to cry. Upon seeing this, the rat went into his cage, dug out his favorite treasure (a half-eaten chocolate egg), brought it out and gave it to her. True story (and I know I've told it here before)! ;) Rats should be kept in pairs (if male, they generally need to have been raised together). Males tend to be more laid back, while females are more active. The males can smell a little more and may leave "scent trails" (tiny drops of urine) around the house.

Syrian hamsters can be nice and prefer living alone (in fact, they may fight to the death if housed with another hamster!). They're not really affectionate towards humans, but they are cute, fun to watch, enjoyable to care for, and easy to handle. Their teeth occasionally need trimming.

Mice are curious, gentle, and easy to care for. They also don't have much interest in humans, but can be held and are also fun to watch in their wheels and at play. They should be kept in pairs or groups.

Guinea pigs are super sweet, easy to handle, and will beg for treats. They also should be kept in pairs and need a very large cage (see guineapigcages.com). They can be messy. Unlike other little furry pets, they don't seem to mind lying in and sleeping in their potty spots. You need to be willing trim their nails every month or so. They also can live 5-7 years, so are a major commitment.

I hope you find a good solution. I desperately wanted a dog growing up, but had to content myself with fish, birds, guinea pigs, hamsters, and mice. I enjoyed my little pets and appreciate my dog even more now. Your son will be fine.

That's quite a leap.

I apologize. Your OP really sounded like you didn't like dogs, and you said you danced a happy jig when you got rid of the dogs. I can only go on what you tell me! :)

The fact that I even posted this question shows that I am taking this decision seriously and not running out and buying a puppy on a whim.

Yes, I think you are doing the right thing by posting this question. I still think in your OP it sounds like you really don't want a dog, to which I'd still say, "Don't get a dog." If it's the 8 year old that wants one, you will definitely be THE care taker. 8 year olds aren't responsible enough for dogs. Also, you will be the one left with the dog when your 8 year old is 18 and goes to college. ;) I say that from experience... I talked my parents into a puppy (we already had 2 dogs), and they said yes. I was 15. A few years later, I was at college. Where was the dog? With my parents. By time I was capable of having a dog again, my parents only had this dog left, and he was very old. It was best to leave him with my parents. My parents had expected this, so it wasn't a problem. Just making sure you're aware that even if it's your son's dog, it will probably be your dog when he leaves the nest.

I will also agree with others that if you do get a dog, DO NOT get a puppy. I don't know where you're located, so I don't know if you have dog rescues available (here in the US, they're everywhere, so it's easy to find a dog that is in a foster home, living life as a normal pet dog rather than spending 24/7 in a cage). By getting a young adult, you get the benefits of having a house trained dog already that is possibly beyond the chewing things stage. I did the puppy thing 12 years ago when I had no kids. Now that I have little kids and am busy homeschooling and such, I have absolutely no desire to have a puppy anytime soon! Maybe later when my kids are older, but not now. Puppies are hard work. First, you have to house train them and train them not to chew on your stuff and chew on you. Then they hit that adolescent teenage brat stage around 9-11 months (Bosco, my avatar dog, was horrendous during that time... seriously awful, and that was having gone to weekly obedience training classes since he was about 12 weeks old... he was a wonderful dog that could go anywhere with me after that age though).

I can't recommend any breeds, as I'm not that familiar with the small dogs, except to say that yeah, beagles are often much more difficult. I like the suggest of the toy poodle. The ones I've known have been very easy to train and are friendly dogs. I'm not really a small dog person myself (obviously).

We adopted a Dashund (adult) short-haired dog. We are very happy with our choice. She's very easy to manage and doesn't bark much.

For allergies, this short-haired version is really nice. I second the reccomendation to chose an older dog. You can pass the puppy stage. They may not be as cute, but they are much better behaved and easier to handle. You have to take the time to find the right personality though. For example, the Dashund can be nippy to kids, but ours is great.

Keep in mind that the breeds of dogs you see in Asia are usually different from the dogs here in the states. There's overlap, but there's also a lot of different kinds so the advice about breeds may not really apply - you may not be able to find them there. Plus, since, IIRC, you're moving back to the states at some point, I wouldn't even consider it until you're sure you're settled somewhere for a few years.