Menu

When did your kids stop wanting to...

My oldest quit around 12ish when he got bigger than me. The other three still do, although Dd not as much as the boys. My friend's soon to be 18yo sons still sits on her, but he is very slander and lanky and she is tall! I still sat on my Dad til about 12-13, but not Mom because I was bigger than her. I wasn't homeschooled.

My dd quit when she was around 9,for normal, everyday lap sitting.

However, the morning of her recent 14th birthday, she came downstairs and asked if she could sit in my lap. I welcomed her even though she is about an inch taller than I am now. I think she just needed a bit of reassurance and connection on that auspicious occasion.

She also still loves to hug and kiss and will frequently throughout the day stop me for a hug or present her cheek for a kiss. She is less physical with dh in a cuddly way, but they tend to do the wrestling, bouncing around kind of touch.

Important to note though, all this is in the privacy of our home. I'm pretty sure she would be mortified to hug, kiss, or sit in our laps in front of her peers.:rolleyes:

My 12yo still does occasionally, but she mostly likes to snuggle next to dh or me on the couch. 8yo sits on my lap all the time.

We were at a barbeque this weekend at a family who are rather macho – into hunting and fast cars, etc. I was surprised, but rather touched when the burly 22yo son went to sit on his father’s lap. And the dad was gently rubbing his arm while he sat. ETA: Oh, he was holding his girlfriend's hand while sitting on dad's lap. We were a bit short of seating.

Edited by Hannah

• 2 weeks later...

Last year I was up in the middle of the night while visiting my mom and she was awake too. I crawled under the covers of her twin bed that she was sleeping in since Dh and I were sleeping in her bed. We sat up and talked for more than an hour. Not exactly sitting in her lap...but still. I am only 37.

Last year I was up in the middle of the night while visiting my mom and she was awake too. I crawled under the covers of her twin bed that she was sleeping in since Dh and I were sleeping in her bed. We sat up and talked for more than an hour. Not exactly sitting in her lap...but still. I am only 37.

This is exactly what I want for my kids. My dd always sleeps with me when my dh is out of town, and I hope her comfort level continues and that she, too, will crawl in bed with me when she's in her 30s. Or beyond.

This is exactly what I want for my kids. My dd always sleeps with me when my dh is out of town, and I hope her comfort level continues and that she, too, will crawl in bed with me when she's in her 30s. Or beyond.

My dd is only 2 and I want the same thing for her. She loves crawling in bed between me and daddy for some extra cuddle time every night right now.