Menu

How do you pronounce the name Apollos?

How do you pronounce Apollos?  

1. 1. How do you pronounce Apollos?

• uh-pah-LOWSE
    • uh-PAH-luhs
    • uh-ther

Our newest baby is named Apollos. :001_smile:

We pronounce his name one way, but some of our family members pronounce it another. It annoys me to hear them pronouncing his name "wrong" but I have been Googling to bolster my case before asking them to pronounce it "correctly" and have found different sources that support each pronunciation.

So... how would you say Apollos?

272.jpg

Edited by scrappyhappymama

I've always said (and heard) it uh-PAH-los (long o in the last syllable). How are they pronouncing it??

:iagree: I voted uh-thur.

This is one of the reasons we didn't go with a name we liked, extended family kept pronouncing it differently-it's pronounced differently in Australia than it is in America.

a Paul ose. Is my initial instinct. But I have also heard it with a short o as well. I don't think I have heard either of the pronouciations you list.

I was going to vote for the popular (not in your poll) option of uh-PAH-los (long o in last syllable), but I think this might be closer to my natural pronunciation, though these two are very close.

Ah-PAUL-ose ('cause I would pronounce "Apollo" as Ah-PAUL-oh, and "Apollos" just looks like the plural... :tongue_smilie:)

So I guess my poll vote is uh-ther

uh-POH-lohs (three short vowels).

Gorgeous baby.

Laura

:iagree: But, really, it is your baby. You should be able to say "we prefer this pronunciation" whether there are acceptable alternatives or not. My SIL is named Alma and my inlaws used a Spanish pronunciation instead of the Ail-mah that I 'd always heard before I met her.

Here's my question... since I think just about 100% of the people who commented on this poll have voted for some version of the name with the accent on the middle syllable (with minor disagreements on vowels), who the heck are all those people (the majority??!) who voted for the accent on the last syllable??

Our newest baby is named Apollos. :001_smile:

We pronounce his name one way, but some of our family members pronounce it another. It annoys me to hear them pronouncing his name "wrong" but I have been Googling to bolster my case before asking them to pronounce it "correctly" and have found different sources that support each pronunciation.

So... how would you say Apollos?

272.jpg

Cutie! Apollos, with long O sound.

Here's my question... since I think just about 100% of the people who commented on this poll have voted for some version of the name with the accent on the middle syllable (with minor disagreements on vowels), who the heck are all those people (the majority??!) who voted for the accent on the last syllable??

When I voted I wasn't paying attention to the accent as much as the vowels sounds. So I voted for the first option since that seemed closest to the long o sounds in the last syllable. Option 2 made it sound like the last syllable was "us" but your right the accent is in the wrong place on the first option so I guess I should have voted for option 3.

:iagree: But, really, it is your baby. You should be able to say "we prefer this pronunciation" whether there are acceptable alternatives or not.

:iagree:

We named one of our children Enoch and since we didn't tell anyone his name before he was named, neither of us knew that most (not all) people around here were inclined to pronounce the name differently than we did. I don't correct every person but I he's a rambunctious three year old boy so his name is said A LOT (loudly and with an alarmed or warning tone :lol:) so most people get familiar and adjust over time or they actually discuss it with us and then conform because the fact is, our pronunciation sounds far more normal and theirs just sounds weird. :tongue_smilie:

uh-PAUL-ohs (long o in 3rd syllable)

When I voted I wasn't paying attention to the accent as much as the vowels sounds. So I voted for the first option since that seemed closest to the long o sounds in the last syllable. Option 2 made it sound like the last syllable was "us" but your right the accent is in the wrong place on the first option so I guess I should have voted for option 3.

Thanks so much for all the feedback!

Sorry for the confusing poll options, but actually, your feedback helped me figure out what truly annoys me about the alternate pronunciation and it is NOT the long 'O' in the last syllable as I thought it was.

My husband and I pronounce the name the less popular uh-PAH-luhs. Now that I think about it, that probably has a lot to do with living here in Texas where final syllables are often softened. It sounds 'right' to me.

But, the pronunciation that most of you advocate, and which I left off the poll, uh-PAH-los does not grate on me. In fact, it sounds more proper, and I agree with you all that this is probably the correct way to say it. Fortunately, around here, LOS and LUHS would be used pretty much interchangeably and most folks wouldn't notice the difference.

I thought it was the LOS that bugged me, but not I realize that the pronunciation that grates on me is uh-pah-LOS, with the emphasis on the last syllable. And I spelled it LOWSE in the poll because that's how the worst offender says it, drawn out and with lots of emphasis on that 'O'.

Funny how much a little inflection or change in emphasis can affect one's impression of a name.

Thanks for the help!

I thought it was the LOS that bugged me, but not I realize that the pronunciation that grates on me is uh-pah-LOS, with the emphasis on the last syllable. And I spelled it LOWSE in the poll because that's how the worst offender says it, drawn out and with lots of emphasis on that 'O'.

Yep, the difference between a schwa, short o or long o in the last syllable doesn't make that much difference, as long as it's not the accented syllable. It's in fact "normal" English usage to turn any vowel into a schwa in an unaccented syllable.

Accenting the last syllable of that name is just WRONG (hoping here that the majority were in fact voting on the vowel sound and not the emphasis :tongue_smilie:), and that mis-emphasis would be what would bug me too... How do your relatives pronounce the name of the Greco-Roman god (or for that matter the Olympic speed skater Apolo currently on DWTS)? Uh-pah-LO? Like Buffalo? :confused:

I voted for the first one because I don't say "luhs" but "lowse" so I thought that was at least closer, even if the accent was off.

The name gave me a pause because I've never seen it. Apollo, yes. Apollos, no.

ETA: Really, the closest thing for what I would say would be uh-PAH-lows... but the first couple times I looked at it here, I said Apollo, which I'm saying the way you would say "Showtime at the Apollo" or the way the Roman god is said... and then kinda lamely added sss to the end, which didn't feel right, honestly. If it's supposed to be luhs at the end, that that doesn't rhyme with Carlos... should it rhyme with Carlos? I'm quite confused.

Edited by farrarwilliams

I voted for the first one because I don't say "luhs" but "lowse" so I thought that was at least closer, even if the accent was off.

The name gave me a pause because I've never seen it. Apollo, yes. Apollos, no.

ETA: Really, the closest thing for what I would say would be uh-PAH-lows... but the first couple times I looked at it here, I said Apollo, which I'm saying the way you would say "Showtime at the Apollo" or the way the Roman god is said... and then kinda lamely added sss to the end, which didn't feel right, honestly. If it's supposed to be luhs at the end, that that doesn't rhyme with Carlos... should it rhyme with Carlos? I'm quite confused.

Apollos is actually a biblical name from the New Testament. Usually I here that pronounced with a short o when read aloud.

My husband and I pronounce the name the less popular uh-PAH-luhs.

THANK GOD!! :lol: This thread has been bugging me off and on since I first read it. I even asked dh how he would pronounce it, and went off on some, uh, "person" online who.... Okay, I'm going to offend a bunch of people here. :tongue_smilie: I'm glad you were aware of how the name is actually pronounced. It would be one thing if you KNEW it was pronounced that way, but chose to do it differently to be different. At least you would do it knowingly. But to just not know, and then act like everyone else is just saying it wrong, when it's a very famous Greek name... ugh.

And he's SUPER cute! :D