Menu

Do your kids keep their clothes in the closet...

...rather than drawers? How does it work for you?

I'm considering giving up on the dresser in dds 9 and 6 and having them hang up all their clothes. They would have to do it themselves. I suppose we could have small bins for underwear, socks, and pj's? Their closet isn't huge, but big enough (I think it's roughly 7 ft wide, 22inches deep.) They don't have a ton of clothes. There are 3 wire shelves along one side.

Edited by Susan in TN

Dd hung up a lot of her clothes. The rest of the children are males. :glare: They think like their father, "If I must put it away, I will wad it up as tight as I can and put as much as possible in the same drawer until 'that woman' loses her mind because she thinks I should automatically know that A. the floor is not a storage unit and B. there is more than one drawer in my dresser."

So, a closet only would be a nightmare because I can absolutely, positively guarantee that not.one.blessed.thing would ever be hung up, ever. All primates' suits - ahem...I mean males' suits - are on my side of the marital, shared closet because I am the one that saves the poor suits from their owners and ration them out upon request with dire predictions of my rage should they be stored on the floor!

Faith

Yes, my own clothes as well.

I find it less messy, in general, and easier to stay on top of should it BEGIN to get messy.

We're not tall, either. I'm 5' on a great, big bangs day LOL. We keep a wood stepstool in the closet so we can reach the top two rungs.

I keep a bookshelf in the closet, and we stack underclothes and pajamas on the shelves. We keep a long, shallow plastic tub without its lid under the lowest rung; in it, we keep socks and winter stuffs (the hardest stuff to keep organized). The pants we have hung do skim the top of the plastic tub, but it's no biggie.

I bought sticky foam stuff for the kids' sized hangers to keep some tee-shirts from falling off. Four boys, three of whom are always in a rush so we still use kid-sized hangers if possible because otherwise, in a rush, they'd stretch the necks of their tees trying to take them off of adult-sized hangers. So I learned the hard way ... this was true once the kids hit about a YM/YL and definitely once they hit Youth XL.

We have all the clothes in the closet. Each closet has a very small set of drawers for socks, underwear, ect. They are still young and small so we have the double rods in the closets. Out of season, or less used clothes, are on the top rod. In season clothes are on the lower rod where they can reach. We prefer this to dressers that take up space in the room. If clothes are hung up they don't end up in piles of mess in a drawer and we can easily see what is available for wear.

My 10yo & 4yo daughters have their clothes in a closet about 2ft x 2 ft. They have five wire baskets from Ikea to store everything. The youngest has two baskets, the oldest three. To make it work, we are relentless on removing outgrown and out-of-season clothes.

My 8yo ds has three plastic bins for his clothes. The bins are in his 2ft x 2 ft closet.

My 6yo & 2yo each have two dresser drawers.

I don't expect hanging clothes would work very well for us. For one, we have no rods in the closets. :tongue_smilie: For another, I would be the one doing all the hanging and they would be the ones making a mess every morning trying to get dressed.

Shirts and dresses are hung in the closet. They each have a drawer for pants, jammies and socks/undies. They put away their own clothes (except for the 2 year old, who carries them to his bed for me to hang up), I don't care how they stuff them in the drawers as long as they are put away.

We hang up all shirts and dresses but the rest go in drawers - for DS that's just pants, shorts, underwear and socks. Oh and pjs :) For DD that's pants, leggings, skirts, shorts, underwear, socks, tights, etc.

I have to do the hanging as they can't quite reach to do that but they have to put the rest away themselves. In our old house dd's closet had a lower rod so she hung up her clothes herself from about 4 on (at her insistence).

DS has a small drawer unit in his closet for the things that aren't hung up. DD has a small dresser in her room and a small drawer unit in her closet.

Dress clothes and clothes that don't fit (but will be handed down at some point) go in the closet.

All regularly worn clothing goes in a bin on a shelf in the laundry room. Each child has his own shelf and 3 bins. One for pants, one for short, and one for shirts. Underwear and socks and swim wear go in the buckets on the bottom shelf.

Dawn

Dd hung up a lot of her clothes. The rest of the children are males. :glare: They think like their father, "If I must put it away, I will wad it up as tight as I can and put as much as possible in the same drawer until 'that woman' loses her mind because she thinks I should automatically know that A. the floor is not a storage unit and B. there is more than one drawer in my dresser." :lol:

So, a closet only would be a nightmare because I can absolutely, positively guarantee that not.one.blessed.thing would ever be hung up, ever. All primates' suits - ahem...I mean males' suits - are on my side of the marital, shared closet because I am the one that saves the poor suits from their owners and ration them out upon request with dire predictions of my rage should they be stored on the floor!

Faith

:D

Yep. That would be my boys, as well.

I just finished cleaning out dds' closet and it's now almost empty aside from their dresses and former ballet costumes. I'm thinking it might be worth it to have them hang up their clothes and avoid having to search for an inexpensive dresser to replace the one that is falling apart. Hangers are much cheaper than dressers! I think dd9 would do fine hanging her clothes up - she's fairly meticulous. Dd6 not so much.

Dh and I have a walk-in closet and we keep all our clothes in there. We do have a couple wire drawers each for underclothes and things. Our room looks so much bigger without a dresser.

Dress clothes and clothes that don't fit (but will be handed down at some point) go in the closet.

All regularly worn clothing goes in a bin on a shelf in the laundry room. Each child has his own shelf and 3 bins. One for pants, one for short, and one for shirts. Underwear and socks and swim wear go in the buckets on the bottom shelf.

Dawn

I have debated doing something like this to cut down on the problem I posted above. Only my washing machine is in my bathroom. That might get too crowded....hmmmm must think on this more.

-Dresses, tailored shirts, skirts, and dress pants go in their closet.

-Shoes go on the shoe shelves (in their closet)

-Undergarmets, socks, tights, jeans, shorts, casual tops, sleepwear etc go in the appropriate drawers of their dresser.

-Outerwear goes in the closet in the foyer or the closet in the mudroom depending on what it is.

There really isn't a closet in our nursery so our youngest is the exception. The few items she has that must be hung I put on one side of my closet.

We do both. Well, we try to do both. Dress shirts and pants are supposed to be hung up, but they end up on the floor of the closet. Play clothes and jeans are supposed to be folded and put in the dresser and I do inspect them when they are folded, and put away, but then.... somehow, they all end up on the floor. And then no one knows if they are clean or dirty.:glare:

I have 2 boys. They use the dresser for everything except dress shirts. We don't do church or anything, so they just have one or two dress shirts and a pair of pants (sometimes).

Girls might be a bit different because of dresses, etc. My boys wear jeans, sweats, shorts, tees. They are responsible for putting all their stuff away. I clean out clothes in spring and fall.

My kids don't have a closet or dressers. We use shelves. If (When) I had closets we put the folded clothes on shelves in them. There is one central smallish closet in our house for hanging clothes.

I hate the way that clothes slip off hangers.

I hate wire hangers that overlap each other.

I don't like the sagged out shoulders knits get from hangers.

We do both. When we lived in our old house, each child had a closet and a dresser. Now, all 3 kids share a closet and dresser (while we are at mom's). When we move, DD will have her own closet and dresser while ODS and YDS will share a closet but each have their own dresser.

We do clothes that we wear "out" (jeans, khakis, yoga pants, shorts, nicer tops) hanging in the closet. Play clothes, pjs, underwear, and socks go in the drawers.

My two big girls (4 and 7, toddler isn't old enough yet lol) have their dresses and jackets in their closet. The bar is high though, so unless they climb (which they do :glare:) they can not reach it. Their dresser is in my closet. Our closet is stilly big (for us anyway. The girls actually use it as a play space, EVEN WITH their dresser, our dresser, and a three drawer Tupperware bin in it:tongue_smilie:). They each have a 'tops' drawer, a 'bottoms' drawer, a panties and socks drawer, and a pajama drawer. They fold/put away/pick out their own clothing. Every other week or so, I go through and straighten up their drawers, looking for outgrown or stained items to get rid of.

We did for my older kids. They never had dressers.

DD6 likes to tug on clothes until they pull off the hanger (instead of taking them off the hanger). She breaks about a hanger a week. Luckily we have a TON of kid size hangers, but she is whittling through them.

I just took her Expedit 4x4 (Ikea furniture) and added the new cloth pink drawers Ikea made for it, so that is now her dresser. We still hang tops, dresses and jackets but pants, shorts, pjs and underwear are now in drawers. It is the best dresser!