Menu

we are fine. I was never so scared in my life

I'm so glad you're safe and that you sustained minimal damage!

I hate that you lost so many books, but I'm glad your house is OK.

The terror you felt had to have been crazy. I have only been through tornadoes and those are over fairly quickly. I can't imagine what it feels like to ride out a hurricane! :grouphug:

I was praying for you, Jeannie! When the winds were howling through the trees here, I was (seriously) trying to remember all the New Jersey WTM people -- you and Nono and Oak Meadow and DB in NJ and (I think) Donna and Debbie and I-can't-remember-your-name-but-I-remember-your-avatar and everyone else in the storm.

I know what you mean about tired of hearing about it, though. :grouphug:

Guess what? Our power came back on, so we moved back home today. AS WE CARRIED IN THE LAST LOAD, the power went back off.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

We did laugh at that one. And we had let the kids play and get filthy in the backyard while we unloaded two vehicles, so we had to bathe them in the dark. :001_smile:

But it was only out for about 50 minutes, and back on now, thank God. I hope your power comes on soon, I hope all is restored and repaired in good time. I'm sincerely glad you are alive and well.

Jeannie -

I am sooo close to mt laurel. seriously. the people in this area want to help.

The shelter at burlington county college was so inundated with supplies they had to cut it off after 2 days. same thing at the church in burlington.

please, please, please let me know via PM if there is ANYTHING we can send with your daughter when she travels back to you.

there are frequent meet-ups at the mt laurel chick-fil-a in one of my moms groups. They have items to donate and want to send it with locals directly to the area.

Robin in NJ

I don't know where you are, but friends from college with family out in NJ have been updating each other on FB and this just came across:

"NJ Star Ledger is reporting tonight that Residents of several town including: Seaside Heights, Seaside Park, island sections of Berkeley Township, South Seaside Park, Lavallette, Ortley Beach and Mantoloking, eill not be allowed back for as long as 8 months because of severe damage to infrastructure. Any residents that refused to evacuate are now being forced out for their safety.

Full article can be read here:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/hurricane_sandy_continues_to_d.html#incart_river_default "

I don't know where you are, but friends from college with family out in NJ have been updating each other on FB and this just came across:

"NJ Star Ledger is reporting tonight that Residents of several town including: Seaside Heights, Seaside Park, island sections of Berkeley Township, South Seaside Park, Lavallette, Ortley Beach and Mantoloking, eill not be allowed back for as long as 8 months because of severe damage to infrastructure. Any residents that refused to evacuate are now being forced out for their safety.

Full article can be read here:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/hurricane_sandy_continues_to_d.html#incart_river_default "

Where is everyone going to go??? :confused:

From other articles I've read, it seems that most shelters set up are only able to cope temporarily. Eight months?

God.

Prayers for everyone :grouphug:.

still no power. we are at sil's house during the day until late at night enjoying her heat and computer then head back home. dh has a bad back and sil does not have really anywhere for us to sleep. Actually at home once we all get into bed with our 7 blankets and 8 cats, it is actually toasty until we have to get up in the morning and then the house is very cold but we leave as soon as we can. Today a convoy of Alabama Power was heading over the bridge into town and people were honking and waving at them. Were we happy to see them, so hopefully will have power soon.

we watched news tonight at sil's and we are so lucky, the news is heartbreaking. our damage is nothing compared to these people and no one is our town lost their life.

my dd is still staying with her boyfriend's family in Mt. Laurel and they are going to Hoomecoming Dance tomorrow so life goes on. She has been there since Sat and we miss her but we do not want her to come home until we have power and they are taking good care of her there. Ds misses her.j

I will have to start soon tossing out all the books. I will do it fast without looking at titles, that should make it easier. There are about 20 bins but some might have survived. However, compared to what some people lost, it is really nothing.

still no power. we are at sil's house during the day until late at night enjoying her heat and computer then head back home. dh has a bad back and sil does not have really anywhere for us to sleep. Actually at home once we all get into bed with our 7 blankets and 8 cats, it is actually toasty until we have to get up in the morning and then the house is very cold but we leave as soon as we can. Today a convoy of Alabama Power was heading over the bridge into town and people were honking and waving at them. Were we happy to see them, so hopefully will have power soon.

we watched news tonight at sil's and we are so lucky, the news is heartbreaking. our damage is nothing compared to these people and no one is our town lost their life.

my dd is still staying with her boyfriend's family in Mt. Laurel and they are going to Hoomecoming Dance tomorrow so life goes on. She has been there since Sat and we miss her but we do not want her to come home until we have power and they are taking good care of her there. Ds misses her.j

I will have to start soon tossing out all the books. I will do it fast without looking at titles, that should make it easier. There are about 20 bins but some might have survived. However, compared to what some people lost, it is really nothing.

Unless something had changed since I heard the news on the radio, they turned those trucks around and sent them home. Something about them not being union workers. I hope you get power soon.

Unless something had changed since I heard the news on the radio, they turned those trucks around and sent them home. Something about them not being union workers. I hope you get power soon.

Sorry, this is not true: http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/sandyunion.asp

One AL truck turned around because they got false information or misunderstood information they were given and believe/believed they would need to affiliate. But there are other non-union crews working in NJ.

Jeannie, I'm glad you are safe, but terribly sorry about your books! :(