Menu

games that we grew up with (if you are older than 35ish)

not to exclude the younger group....but what games did you play with as a kid that there is a "new and improved" version available now?

Which ones do you think they are actually improved? and which ones do you prefer the version you played with as a kid?

I'll start:

actually improved:

toss across

not improved:

Life

Clue

Pay Day

We played the old life a gazilion times. The new Life is so lame it isn't even fun.

I don't if the have new versions of Monopoly, parchesi, boggle, scrabble.

We also played payday and clue. Didn't know they had new versions.

We played a game called Aggravation, and of course Trivial Pursuit.

Totally agree on Life. Loved it as a kid, thought my dc would enjoy it so we bought one. It was so not the same.

I remember being surprised that Candy Land added some special card where you got to advance to a spot way near the end. I only remember that because my niece cheated--she shuffled--so she could win. :lol:

I actually like the newer Clue with the pieces being people instead of pawns.

Sorry! is still good. The board has a new look but it's still the same game inside.

Battleship has a bunch of new teched-up versions now. They are NOT improved.

I never played it as a kid, but DH says the art on the Ravensburger Labyrinth game is way way better than what he grew up with, but the game is just the same (and good!)

:iagree: We played vintage Battleship at the Chatterbox Cafe in St. Paul, MN when we lived in MN for four months (loved that place!). DS put that game down as his only request for Christmas.

We have been disappointed with every version we have been able o locate-- weird shapes, hard to read grids, pegs that fall out, versions that require batteries... Ugh!

I loved a game called Dark Tower, but it's been out of production for YEARS. Someone tried to make an online version but it's just not the same.

OMG! I LOVED this game! No one else I know ever even heard of it. Of course by today's standards I am sure the computer thing in the middle would be very outdated. Thanks for the flashback. :001_smile:

:iagree: We played vintage Battleship at the Chatterbox Cafe in St. Paul, MN when we lived in MN for four months (loved that place!). DS put that game down as his only request for Christmas.

We have been disappointed with every version we have been able o locate-- weird shapes, hard to read grids, pegs that fall out, versions that require batteries... Ugh!

I had to buy an old version on Ebay....and then later I found another one at Goodwill...which was nice because now we have spare parts.

I enjoyed Mastermind growing up. I don't like the newer version at all.

Clue has a new version and a fancy playing pieces old version. I like the fancy playing pieces old version; don't like the new version. Risk is just the same, and I like the fancy playing pieces old version. Parchese has a fancy playing pieces version as well, that is nice.

Battleship old version is great, and still pretty easy to find both new and at yard sales.

Life old version is still my favourite, so is Monopoly.

Hubby played Masterpiece as a kid. It's a fun art auction game. They reissued it about a year after we were married, which is when he introduced me to it. I think it's been out of print ever since. I'm holding on tight to our copy!

http://www.amazon.com/Masterpiece-The-Art-Auction-Game/dp/B000MZZMVA

I LOVED this game! I'd love to find a copy. My sister found a copy without rules, and neither of us remember them very well. I wonder if they are avaible on-line anywhere.

Not improved, in fact ruined, imho:

Life

Operation

Battleship

Anything electronic that was once a great board game (monopoly for example and battleship,)

I still have the old versions of parchesi, (along w/ a newer one that has animals instead of plastic pawns), monopoly, scrabble, battleship, Spirograph (okay, not a game, but still!). I think I sold Payday at a garage sale.. I didn't know anybody owned one but us!

Clue and risk have some minor changes, but are still pretty much the same.

not improved:

Life

Clue

Pay Day

:iagree: The Life game my kids have is awful (although they like it)

Kerplunk is also lousy. I ended up throwing ours away it was so cheaply made.

Othello is still good but I don't like the changes they made to the storage. Mine had covers. Our set does not, the pieces are just really snug.

Othello is still good but I don't like the changes they made to the storage. Mine had covers. Our set does not, the pieces are just really snug.

Oh, that reminds me of Rummikub. The first time I played was at sil's. Their set has a thick plastic storage which is actually constructed using the playing boards. The tiles and the feet for the boards fit just exactly within. Now the whole game just comes in a cheap box. Still the same enjoyable game, though.

And Mille Bornes used to come with a plastic tray for the cards--my mil still has this set. The set we bought came with a cheap-o plastic tray that ripped after a couple uses. Also still a fun game.

Hubby played Masterpiece as a kid. It's a fun art auction game. They reissued it about a year after we were married, which is when he introduced me to it. I think it's been out of print ever since. I'm holding on tight to our copy!

I gave a copy of this to our Goodwill a couple of months ago! We had the art pieces with our God and the History cards. I fished them out and off it went to Goodwill. Who knew so many people liked it.

I loved a game called Dark Tower, but it's been out of production for YEARS. Someone tried to make an online version but it's just not the same.

:lol: my SIL purchased one off of eBay a few years back and actually let dh and I borrow it for a night. :001_smile:

I didn't realize Life was changed. :tongue_smilie:

I used to love Scotland Yard. I wonder of my mom still has it.

Add me to the MasterMind list. The old version is harder than the new one. This especially sucks as games for just two players are hard to find. Boardgames for only children are hard to find!

We played lots of card games when I was little.

Perfection looks horrible now.

From my cold, dead hands will you pry away my copy of the original Rescuers game.

I had a memory game that was hard and took up my whole little table.

Stay Alive - we still have the one from my childhood.

Superfection! You had to put the puzzle pieces together and in the tray before it popped up.

Edited by Elizabeth in MN

I remember playing a game which I believe was called Cooties where you built little plastic bugs.

Ants in the Pants

Don't Break the Ice

There was another game that was like a long plastic runway with two sides and two elastics at the top. You have these pieces like marble shooters that you hit down one lane, it rebounds to the other and you see where you can get the marble piece to stop for points. (Ugh...hard to explain) It may have been called Rebound.

I'm 32 but I thought I would take a risk and answer anyways.

Risk , Castle Risk, Gestures, and of course games in the D&D theme for us that included "TMNT".

And for when we were younger:

Checkers, Connect 4, Survivor, Hotels, Monopoly (I hate to admit that one. It's such a bad game), ... ?

And when we were really young our neighbor had this game at her cottage. It was from the Bearisten Bears. You had to make sure everyone had a hat, and wind would/could? blow hats off people. I wish I could find that game for her now - of even information on it. She would get so emotional about that game.

What is up with all of the new incarnations of Hungry Hungry Hippos?? Argh!! Very frustrating and the hippos never eat the marbles well at all. :glare: LOL

:iagree: Plus, you have to take it apart just to fit it back into the box for storage. It's frustrating when you have to stop the game every few seconds to dig out a marble that is stuck in the hippo's mouth.

DH and I both loved Cooties. But when we got one for our oldest daughter years ago, we found it to be...diffferent. I think they tried to make the cooties look cuter or something. And dh was disappointed that the pieces only fit in specific places on the cooties. Apparently he liked to put the body parts where they didn't belong. Mutant Cooties. :tongue_smilie:

My Aunt (who's barely 4 years older than I) and I used to play this all the time at my Grandmas, Great game!!

I think our Dark Tower game is still in my mom's basement :)

Oh what I wouldn't give to have one in my mom's basement.

There was a game called Bonkers where you'd place cards that would build the board. "forward 2", "back 4"... I liked setting up infinite loops with it :)

I found Bonkers at a Thrift store recently--the same version I had as a kid. I play it with my kids now--it's still really fun!

I also picked up Payday the same way. It's not as much fun as I remember as a kid.

my parents have bonkers and Payday...my kids love playing it when we are there...(about twice a year)...we also played a game called King Oil

1974 King Oil Game by Milton Bradley | eBay

with my dad...I look at that game now and wonder why I liked it so much...but it was fun with my dad.

We have Bonkers. We bought it at a second hand shop. My husband remembered it from when he was a kid. My kids enjoyed it when they were younger. :( (It's sometimes sad to think they are already having games they played when younger)

We also have sorry, trouble, ulcers, anti-monopoly, and various other thrift store purchases.

Memories! Fun thread! :D

Similar to this Derby Horse Racing Game: http://www.jackbergsales.com/toys/VintageTheDerbyHorseRacingGame.htm

A marble labyrinth

Pig Mania: http://www.etsy.com/listing/96827520/vintage-game-1977-pig-mania-game-vintage

Pit

Mouse trap (when it was made out of good materials!)

ETA: My family also loved to play Risk and Yahtzee.

Edited by helena