Menu

How to fashionably wear jeans in the winter?

I am going shopping soon, and I am wondering how almost 40yo women wear jeans in the winter. We live on the MN/SD border, so winter is wind, cold, wind, snow, and wind. Bitter wind. Rolling jeans (the current spring/summer/fall fashion in our area) with ballet flats or sandals is not going to work in our winter elements.

Skinny jeans with knee-high boots won't work with my body. I do like the leggins w/tunic look, but I'm not sure if that look will work either. I'm an average lil' bit lumpy 5'4" almost-40yo mom hauling around 5 people, one on my hip. :001_smile:

Is it possible to buy comfortable knee-high boots that don't cost a fortune?

I got some high boots at Lands End last year that are somewhat stylish but most importantly warm and really comfortable! Plus they zip up which makes them easy to put on before running out the door. They were under $75. Lands End almost always has a promo code somewhere so search the internet for one before you buy. I wear my boots every day in the winter.

I have a really good pair of snow boots that I wear when I know I need extra traction and warmth. They weren't cheap but I doubt I'll ever buy another pair. If I'm going to be doing something indoors I take nice shoes and change when I'm at my destination.

I have a pair of slouchy boots, somewhere between dress and cowboy. Kind of like this, not exactly because mine have buckles and are a little darker brown but you get the idea. I wear these all winter long. They are fine if I'm outside but not wading through snow drifts. They go perfectly with jeans, tucked in or left out. I also wear them with dress pants. Mine are taller so I wear them with skirts.

I also have two pairs of loafers, black and brown. I wear these all the time during the winter because they go with everything and can be worn with socks.

Edited by rwjx2khsmj

When it's really cold I wear tights under my jeans.

Then wool socks and boots. I do have cute soft leather boots with a small heel (that I also wear with skirts) that I'll wear if it's just cold, but if it's snowy/slushy/precipitating I break out the snow boots with a warm and fuzzy lining and traction on the bottom (I just bought this pair - I'd had my old pair 3-4 years and it was time). Depending on the jean style, over the boots or tucked in. I can't wear skinny jeans either, but straight leg jeans can be tucked into the right boot.

In the winter, I also almost always wear an undershirt tucked into those tights. I find that keeps the draft down. :tongue_smilie:

rei long johns under jeans, under skirts, under just about anything. (we're getting ready to visit dd and dsil in edmonton, where the last two visits its been ~ minus 35 degrees C (which is pretty close to minus 35 F, too.... they meet at minus 40....)....

i vote for dry, warm and comfortable over stylish every time.... but it is possible to do both.

hth,

ann

When it's really cold I wear tights under my jeans.

Then wool socks and boots. I do have cute soft leather boots with a small heel (that I also wear with skirts) that I'll wear if it's just cold, but if it's snowy/slushy/precipitating I break out the snow boots with a warm and fuzzy lining and traction on the bottom (I just bought this pair - I'd had my old pair 3-4 years and it was time). Depending on the jean style, over the boots or tucked in. I can't wear skinny jeans either, but straight leg jeans can be tucked into the right boot.

In the winter, I also almost always wear an undershirt tucked into those tights. I find that keeps the draft down. :tongue_smilie:

Those are cute! I wish it got cold enough in TX to wear those.

You're in serious cold country. Me, too. Get yourself some stylish (such as they can be) snow boots and tuck your jeans into those. Chances are, everyone else is wearing jeans and snow boots anyway. Just make yours really cute ones.

For times when there isn't a metre of snow on the ground, knee high boots are really nice, but get something with some traction on the bottom -- in other words winter knee boots. Martino makes some very nice ones in leather that go for around $150-$200 Cdn, probably less US. Certainly, that's an investment, but they'll last for years.

I live in cold-weather country. I finally broke down and purchased Uggs-real Uggs. I've had mine for 3 years and they are still going strong. Yes, they are expensive, but they are so much warmer than my dd's Bearpaws. I've had three kids and was "blessed" with child-birthing hips. I still look good (ish) when I tuck my jeans into my Uggs. I hated spending the money, but gosh do I thank God for my own personal foot/leg warmers. When the snow piles up on the prairie, I resort to my insulated LL Bean snow boots. And if you are just morally opposed to tucking jeans into boots, Target sells Cuddle Duds (lady long johns). Those things will keep you warm and toasty, despite the shoes you wear.

How about getting boot cut jeans, so you can wear your boots under them instead of having to tuck the jeans into them?

Yeah, that's what I do. And/or flannel-lined jeans, and/or tights under the jeans.

I love the look of jeans tucked into boots, but I don't have the right body for it either. Bootcuts are my jean of choice!

I just wear jeans and sneakers, I know many think Uggs are awesome and in style, but they are UGLY, there is no way I'd wear them simply because I don't see why they are considered fashionable, but I'm not one to worry about being fashionable.

There are many, many, many warm, fuzzy boots that are practical and warm in the cold weather that are not UGGs, that are both attractive and have good foot support (another sin of the UGGs is that they're horrible for your feet). The choice is not between UGGs and sneakers!

My dd has some really cute Merrells.

Are you people who are advocating sneakers year round really from cold climates with snow and slush? My feet would be both cold and wet if I wore sneakers year round!

I just wear jeans and sneakers, I know many think Uggs are awesome and in style, but they are UGLY, there is no way I'd wear them simply because I don't see why they are considered fashionable, but I'm not one to worry about being fashionable.

:lol: My Uggs are't pretty. They are ridiculously warm. They actually have some kid puke on them that I cannot get off. They are just soooooo warm and toasty.

I wear jeans a lot - not skinny, mostly bootcut or straight cut. I wear them with a few different types of boots, some with short heels, some flat. llbean usually has sales on some very cute driving, pea coats. I own a few that I mix and match with my boots and handbags.

I also wear mostly long-sleeve henly or t-shirt tops layered. I keep my foundation stuff simple but jazz up my look with shoes/handbags/accessories.

Just make sure the cut of your jeans coordinate with your boots. If you don't like skinny jeans tucked into a boot, try bootcut pulled over a slimmer boot.

I like Eddie Bauer for jeans - my favorite is the curvy bootcut fit size 6 - and henly shirts.

Edited by Stacy in NJ

:lol: My Uggs are't pretty. They are ridiculously warm. They actually have some kid puke on them that I cannot get off. They are just soooooo warm and toasty.

Well, then why didn't you say that in the first place? Here we were thinking you wore ugly boots, but now we learn that you've stylized them with a special artistic flare.

I wear bootcut jeans all winter long. Well, not the same pair. :lol:

I wear cuddledown long underwear or tights under the jeans. For shoes, I generally wear Dansko clogs. I also have a pair of lovely Dansko heels. I am looking for a pair of nice brown ankle boots as well. If there is snow/wet then I have a pair of black snow boots or slip on duck boots.

For tops I wear a shirt/t-shirt/turtleneck and sweater. Sometimes it is a crew neck and sometimes it is a cardigan.

If you get really functional snow boots in black, dead black, black with no other color, then their inherent ugliness is far less visible when you wear them under boot cut jeans. That's what I do. I have an extremely warm (comparable to ugly as sin Sorrels that I have successfully avoided so far) pair of Colombia snow boots, and they are so dead black that you don't even notice them under jeans. They were pricey but I figure I will wear them for 10 years, and they keep me warm no matter what.

I also have a pair of water proof hiking boots for intermediate days. These are light but insulated and since they are water proof I never have clammy feet.

I got both at REI.

I wish I could get away with the whole leggings look, but even when I'm thin, it's just.not.me. :glare:

I don't see why you can't wear jeans with nice sweaters. And there are some great-looking boots/heavier shoes should keep your toesies warm, especially if you are also wearing heavier socks. Personally, I like to wear socks in the winter that have designs and are different colors. :)

I almost forgot! Those newish double layer hiking socks that wick moisture away from your feet are the warmest ones I have ever had in my life. Again, available from REI. They are expensive, but I bought one pair for a serious hiking trip, and loved them so much that I asked for them for Christmas. I have found since then that they wear like iron (they are microfiber so they don't wear out as fast as cotton or wool.) These have made a huge difference for me.