Menu

THIS is why people make fun of Christians!!!

My favorite strange Halloween meets Christianity tale was way back when I was a sweet, naive seminary student serving as youth pastor at a church in the South (south with a capital "S" by the way.) One of our youth sponsors asked if we could take the kids to the local haunted house for Halloween. The kids were enthused. I, being in the Halloween-is-not-antiChristian camp, thought it was a great idea. So we advertised, gathered our kids, piled in the church van, and the sponsor gives me directions and we arrive.

We arrive at the "This is What It's Like in Hell" House. I'm not kidding. There were people sitting drinking wine in one room, then the next room would have them being tortured by fire in grotesque ways. Then a room with people playing cards, dancing, kissing, playing dungeons and dragons, and several others I can't remember now. Each was followed by those same people (or ones who looked very similar) being tortured in different ways (fire, poked with tridents, locked in chains with food just out of reach.) It was awful and disgusting.

I was speechless. Now I would have a lot to say. As a first year young female (!!!) seminary student, I just watched wide eyed and horrified. There were small children there crying and it was just gruesome.

Surprisingly there were no rooms with people being judgmental in them. Must have been an oversight.

Edited by sunnylady303
darn that subject verb agreement

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite strange Halloween meets Christianity tale was way back when I was a sweet, naive seminary student serving as youth pastor at a church in the South (south with a capital "S" by the way.) One of our youth sponsors asked if we could take the kids to the local haunted house for Halloween. The kids were enthused. I, being in the Halloween-is-not-antiChristian camp, thought it was a great idea. So we advertised, gathered our kids, piled in the church van, and the sponsor gives me directions and we arrive.

We arrive at the "This is What It's Like in Hell" House. I'm not kidding. There were people sitting drinking wine in one room, then the next room would have them being tortured by fire in grotesque ways. Then a room with people playing cards, dancing, kissing, playing dungeons and dragons, and several others I can't remember now. Each was followed by those same people (or ones who looked very similar) being tortured in different ways (fire, poked with tridents, locked in chains with food just out of reach.) It was awful and disgusting.

I was speechless. Now I would have a lot to say. As a first year young female (!!!) seminary student, I just watched wide eyed and horrified. There was small children there crying and it was just gruesome.

Surprisingly there were no rooms with people being judgmental in them. Must have been an oversight.

That is just awful.

Now I wonder if their demonstrating counts against them? Will they be spending eternity in hell for demonstrating playing cards, dancing, kissing, etc?

Does anyone else have "haunted house alternatives" in their area? It seems like an odd extension to the celebrate but don't celebrate. I'd think most people would prefer corn mazes!

http://www.hellsgates.com/

More Info

Anything I could say about this would get me banned. :glare:

Stepping away from this thread now.

I was speechless. Now I would have a lot to say. As a first year young female (!!!) seminary student, I just watched wide eyed and horrified. There were small children there crying and it was just gruesome.

That is disgusting. I am floored.

It's rather like the company who declares Christmas parties are banned (being in poor taste, frivolous, whatever) then dedicates an afternoon to an all-hands "staff meeting" with food, bar and gift exchange. :001_huh: It's ridiculous.

And, btw, I am now going as Mrs. Mungo for Halloween.

OMG! ... that is absolutely horrible!

You see, some people NEED rules to know how to behave AND so they can create a ranking system so they can judge everyone who falls beneath them. It is necessary.

:confused: Since it seems that you are referencing a question that is about my post I will respond ... I do not live my life by rules but by convictions. If you knew anything about me you would know that I did grow up celebrating Halloween and other holidays ... as did everyone I knew. My convictions didn't come from a church's viewpoint or from family or friends even. The ideas that I expressed earlier in this thread was from what I've learned through studying the Scriptures. Someone else mentioned the days of the week being pagan ... you are proving my point. We can't see how far in we are WITHIN THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH we are so far into the culture that we don't even realize that everything we do -- everything we do is tainted by sin and the world. It is hard to break free from our own mindset. If you grew up in America or live in America you probably have the viewpoint that we should be pursuing happiness -- but that is a distinctly un-Christian idea. We should examine our lives (I'm speaking to fellow Christians not to anyone else when I say this) ... and ask ourselves if our actions are pleasing to God. I for one believe that we should examine everything and ask ourselves why we do something and why we believe something. I'm not saying this as a person that has it all figured out or has lived such a strict life, blah blah blah ... nope, as a sinner and as someone God has shown time and time again that I've messed up and I need Him, I say these things because I feel that we make decisions every day to separate ourselves from God. Like the Israelites in the Old Testament we want to worship God and worship Idols. I realize there are many idols to be worshiped in our culture (please don't misinterpret what I said or am saying). I'm not saying Halloween is the one and only thing, etc. It was just something that hit me when I was reading the original post.

So, I haven't managed to read through the whole thread to see if anyone else already pointed out that the re-naming and repurposing of the pagan fest has already been done for you (just like Christmas did for Saturnalia). It is indeed All Hallow's Eve, the evening before All Saint's Day (Hallow meaning Holy referring to all those Christian Saints). Halloween is not the name of the pagan festival, which I forget right now (help me out, pagans!), nor do I believe that any pagans celebrate their holiday by dressing their kids up as superheroes and gorging on candy.

Yes, but of course Catholics are the anti-Christ so anything we do is suspect.

I had to rearrange the days to make it work.

Ironmanday's child is a pompous a$$

Captain Americaday's child is full of muscle mass

Black Widowday's child kicks hiney

Antmanday's child is really tiny

Hawkeyeday's child can shoot really fast

Hulkday's child-SMASHSMASHSMASH

Thorsday's child controls the thunder

And that's all the days, in case you wondered.

Okay, maybe we could improve that last line.

Facebook-status-worthy. :D

Yes, but of course Catholics are the anti-Christ so anything we do is suspect.

Silly me forgetting the whole Catholic/Protestant thing!

And here I was just going to suggest that if you wanted a fun, Christian, child-oriented fall holiday you could try St. Martin's Day (Nov. 11th). In Germany, the kids make lanterns and go around the streets singing little songs, and there's also some food associated. St. Martin gave away half his cloak to a beggar.

I hadn't been thinking of that holiday as Catholic (in spite of the saint), as Lutheran and other non-Catholic Germans (and Waldorf/Steiner schools around the world) celebrate this little holiday, but that probably wouldn't fly in a more conservative Protestant school, now that you point it out... :tongue_smilie:

I had to rearrange the days to make it work.

Okay, maybe we could improve that last line.

Quoting again to make sure I understand the order. Seeing as it would make sense to keep Thursday = Thor's Day, then if we start again at the rotation tomorrow will be IronMan Day. Which, if we also going with the MM - that's Mrs. Mungo - order, The new week will start on Friday, which means we now have a three day weekend each week. Kicking it off Iron Man style sounds all right. Although, I do think Monday should be Black Widow day, otherwise the line up sounds wonderful.

So, since this is already on facebook, if you tell your facebook friends and they tell their facebook friends, in about six rotations everyone including Kevin Bacon should know. Then we can start switching out the calendar by January 2013. Wait....the months! What about those pesky months? More superheros? If that's the case May must be renamed Batman month. I so want a birthday in the month of Batman.

Wait....the months! What about those pesky months? More superheros? If that's the case May must be renamed Batman month. I so want a birthday in the month of Batman.

Wait, wait... would it not be sacrilege to name the weeks after Marvel heroes and the months after DC heroes? Some order and proper separations of the universes must be maintained, or chaos could ensue! (wouldn't that just make Loki happy...)

BTW (not that it matters), I just want to clarify--Our church did the All Saint's Day party as a Sunday School activity, NOT as an alternate-Halloween party.

We didn't address the Halloween issue.

And Mrs. Mungo, I put your poem as my status, giving you credit--hope that was okay. :D

So what do you all think of dogs in costumes? My clients want to know...:lol:

Wait, wait... would it not be sacrilege to name the weeks after Marvel heroes and the months after DC heroes? Some order and proper separations of the universes must be maintained, or chaos could ensue! (wouldn't that just make Loki happy...)

There might be enough separation, we'll have to build a committee starting with Stan Lee and Bruce Campbell to see if chaos would actually rise. It could like TV where all those cops show take place in the same city, but they don't actually know each other. I mean you think Horatio Cane would have arrested Michael Weston for something by now, blowing up half of Miami on a regular basis. But no, they never seem to meet. It could be like that. As my son would say, same difference.

Who else should be on this committee?

There might be enough separation, we'll have to build a committee starting with Stan Lee and Bruce Campbell to see if chaos would actually rise. It could like TV where all those cops show take place in the same city, but they don't actually know each other. I mean you think Horatio Cane would have arrested Michael Weston for something by now, blowing up half of Miami on a regular basis. But no, they never seem to meet. It could be like that. As my son would say, same difference.

Who else should be on this committee?

So true! :lol:

:confused: Since it seems that you are referencing a question that is about my post I will respond ... I do not live my life by rules but by convictions. If you knew anything about me you would know that I did grow up celebrating Halloween and other holidays ... as did everyone I knew. My convictions didn't come from a church's viewpoint or from family or friends even. The ideas that I expressed earlier in this thread was from what I've learned through studying the Scriptures. Someone else mentioned the days of the week being pagan ... you are proving my point. We can't see how far in we are WITHIN THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH we are so far into the culture that we don't even realize that everything we do -- everything we do is tainted by sin and the world. It is hard to break free from our own mindset. If you grew up in America or live in America you probably have the viewpoint that we should be pursuing happiness -- but that is a distinctly un-Christian idea. We should examine our lives (I'm speaking to fellow Christians not to anyone else when I say this) ... and ask ourselves if our actions are pleasing to God. I for one believe that we should examine everything and ask ourselves why we do something and why we believe something. I'm not saying this as a person that has it all figured out or has lived such a strict life, blah blah blah ... nope, as a sinner and as someone God has shown time and time again that I've messed up and I need Him, I say these things because I feel that we make decisions every day to separate ourselves from God. Like the Israelites in the Old Testament we want to worship God and worship Idols. I realize there are many idols to be worshiped in our culture (please don't misinterpret what I said or am saying). I'm not saying Halloween is the one and only thing, etc. It was just something that hit me when I was reading the original post.

Ok I believe I am a Christian so you are theoretically addressing me.

My convictions and yours about what is or is not worldly are not the same. St. Paul tells us that they are not - that one person's stumbling block is not a stumbling block to another. If you are convicted not to celebrate Halloween that is good for you. That does not make it good for me or my family. Even as homeschooling is the best option for my boys but that doesn't make it the best option for all autistic children ever.

That's is my point. And the point Heather was trying to make was if you are convicted not to celebrate Halloween don't do it. Period. Don't try and get around that conviction by changing the name. A person who claims they don't celebrate Halloween and then has a party with costumes and candy and calls it something completely different (not a Harvest festival - here in the south there are plenty of those because we actually do harvest crops here - unlike Malaysia where they do not so I fail to see the point of a 'harvest' festival') is being a hypocrite that is trying to get the speck out of their brother's eye and paying no attention to the plank in their own.

I have the Holy Spirit to convict me of things. I do not need a fellow Christian to do it. If God doesn't want me doing it He will - and has - made me so uncomfortable about doing a thing I have stopped. I read the Bible. I know God's plan. I know what Jesus said.

I'm truly not trying to be snarky. I am trying to explain why I shy away from other Christians. I'm allergic to legalism. I hate cliques. These are two things I have seen in the churches here (legalism to a lesser extent in the church we have been attending but oh boy at the cliques) that I don't think are part of Jesus' teachings.

While Holy Ghost Weenie Roast is a good one; Jesusween is still my favorite Halloween alternative name. I laugh every single time. I would have loved to have been in that meeting.

Amber in SJ

Jesusween is a favorite in our house, too! My kids tend to sum up their feelings about certain things with the comment "Jesusweeners", notably people who don't want to call a spade a spade ;). I think they would've been whispering it at the OP's meeting.

Silly me forgetting the whole Catholic/Protestant thing!

And here I was just going to suggest that if you wanted a fun, Christian, child-oriented fall holiday you could try St. Martin's Day (Nov. 11th). In Germany, the kids make lanterns and go around the streets singing little songs, and there's also some food associated. St. Martin gave away half his cloak to a beggar.

I hadn't been thinking of that holiday as Catholic (in spite of the saint), as Lutheran and other non-Catholic Germans (and Waldorf/Steiner schools around the world) celebrate this little holiday, but that probably wouldn't fly in a more conservative Protestant school, now that you point it out... :tongue_smilie:

South St. Louis has a tradition of the kids going around on Halloween telling jokes or singing songs in exchange for candy. I suspect it's a melding of Halloween with Martinmas from when areas of the city and county were very German.

South St. Louis has a tradition of the kids going around on Halloween telling jokes or singing songs in exchange for candy. I suspect it's a melding of Halloween with Martinmas from when areas of the city and county were very German.

Aw! Love Martinmas. When my kids were little, we did a lot of Waldorfy stuff and besides their marching around singing at their German Saturday School, we used to have a yearly lantern-making party and singalong at a friend's house with our Waldorf-inspired coop.

For a more Asian mash-up (that I somehow think still wouldn't work for Heather in spite of her location), one year Martinmas fell close to Divali (our friends are half Indian) and we had our Martinmas celebration accompanied by a Divali feast and sparklers. :lol:

Donning my flame retardant suit....

So as some of you know, I work at a Christian school. About 75% of our students are professing Christians or are being raised by Christian parents. Still, I would say we are moderately conservative and not "fundies". We do, however, have a few extremely conservative parents and we always keep them in mind when making decisions in an effort to avoid offending them.

So in our weekly leadership meeting we had to decide on the yearly request by some group or another to have ... You guessed it... A Halloween party on campus.

Sigh.

Well, the usual discussion ensued. Honestly, maybe I am just too old and cranky but this topic is so old and boring. The ideas...

Let's not call it a Halloween party. We'll just say it is a costume party! (really? A costume party, with candy, coincidentally held on or very near Oct. 31? If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...)

Let's have a harvest party! (really? When is the last time any of us harvested anything and if you say we are harvesting souls I will punch you in the throat.)

But my favorite... Let's call it a Hallelujah party! (A WHAT? Are you serious??? A hallelujah party??? What is a hallelujah party? Honestly, it makes me embarassed to be associated with Christians when they say stuff like that. And we wonder why people make fun of us!!! I know! Let's all dress up like ghosts and we will call it a Halle-BOO-jah party! No one will suspect! They will think we are still holy! I think I am going to hurl. :banghead: )

At least those who have reformation parties are celebrating an actual thing!

Seriously, I don't care if you don't celebrate Halloween. I don't celebrate it because costumes are too expensive here and I am too lazy to make one. If you feel strongly about it, fine.

But don't make up some RIDICULOUS alternate name for the party and then pretend like you are not "really" celebrating Halloween. Just buy some candy and eat it without guilt because that's all we really want anyways. And stop EMBARASSING the rest of us. :glare:

I am sure this offends some of you but I am too exhausted from today's meeting about this topic to really care that much. Maybe tomorrow... :tongue_smilie:

I've not read any of the responses past page 1, so I'm sure you've already been given some ideas somewhere in the past 20+ pages.... :)

FWIW, I agree with you... it's ridiculous and makes us look like hypocrites, or at least non-thinking. But I do have to wonder why, if you're embarrassed about the fact that some Christians celebrate Halloween w/o calling it Halloween, why you would post it among a group of non-Christians. It just gives them more ammo against Christians, yes? So why embarrass us further?

Here's an idea: How about using this season as a time to EDUCATE the children in this Christian school about the Reformation, and then have a Reformation Celebration? :D I would think that would appeal to the majority of your parent base, if not all. (Unless of course you're at a Catholic school and not Protestant. ;) ) Even "fundies" who don't claim to have ever been part of the Reformation appreciate the fact that Martin Luther did what he did on October 31st of that year.

I've not read any of the responses past page 1, so I'm sure you've already been given some ideas somewhere in the past 20+ pages.... :)

FWIW, I agree with you... it's ridiculous and makes us look like hypocrites, or at least non-thinking. But I do have to wonder why, if you're embarrassed about the fact that some Christians celebrate Halloween w/o calling it Halloween, why you would post it among a group of non-Christians. It just gives them more ammo against Christians, yes? So why embarrass us further?

Here's an idea: How about using this season as a time to EDUCATE the children in this Christian school about the Reformation, and then have a Reformation Celebration? :D I would think that would appeal to the majority of your parent base, if not all. (Unless of course you're at a Catholic school and not Protestant. ;) ) Even "fundies" who don't claim to have ever been part of the Reformation appreciate the fact that Martin Luther did what he did on October 31st of that year.

Well, I certainly wasn't trying to embarass us further but somehow I don't think this situation is unique to my school. I see this stuff every where in the states. So my post is more of plea (disguised as a rant as it was still fresh at that point) to Christians to PLEASE STOP DOING THIS.

And I don't mind if non-Christians see it because I want them to know that those people do NOT represent the whole of Christianity. I want them to know that not all Christians think like that. That is my way of educating people on the topic.

Reformation day would not work as we have Catholics both as students and on staff. I think that would be just as unpopular as Halloween.

Aw! Love Martinmas. When my kids were little, we did a lot of Waldorfy stuff and besides their marching around singing at their German Saturday School, we used to have a yearly lantern-making party and singalong at a friend's house with our Waldorf-inspired coop.

For a more Asian mash-up (that I somehow think still wouldn't work for Heather in spite of her location), one year Martinmas fell close to Divali (our friends are half Indian) and we had our Martinmas celebration accompanied by a Divali feast and sparklers. :lol:

You know what -- we might just use that idea some time! We have many Indian families in our area, so I'll have to take a look at when Divali falls in the next few years.

A couple of years ago the kids did Irish Dance as their Halloween/Martinmas entertainment at each house. THAT was a fun way to mix cultures! And I was surprised to discover how many neighbors claim Irish heritage.

I have the Holy Spirit to convict me of things. I do not need a fellow Christian to do it. If God doesn't want me doing it He will - and has - made me so uncomfortable about doing a thing I have stopped. I read the Bible. I know God's plan. I know what Jesus said.

Pdally, I agree with the rest of your post.

But I wanted to comment on this.

I hear SO many Christians say this. "I don't need YOU to convict me; I have the Holy Spirit. HE will convict me. Keep *your* convictions to yourself".

I simply do NOT agree with this.

Has the Lord *never* used a Christian brother or sister's words to convict you about ANYTHING? Really? 'Cause I know the Lord's done that to me PLENTY.

Isn't that the point of listening to another Brother's teachings/preaching? To grow in the Word, to learn? Certainly to be encourage, edified, supported. But also sometimes for conviction, for clarity, for direction, right? Isn't that why the New Testament instructs the older women to counsel the younger women?

I'm saying that yes, surely the Lord does convict us by reading of His Word, at quite times in our prayers, and by his Holy Spirit as our counselor and guide. But scripture also says that we are to exhort and correct one another as Christian brothers and sisters. In love, surely. But we ARE instructed to do so.

I

If we are not open to that, both to instruct AND be instructed, we are missing out on growth in the Lord.

Yes, sometimes it's painful. Sometimes, its humbling. But it can also be for the glory of God when we humble ourselves to the word brought to us *from* the Lord, *through* the counsel of other believers.

Thanks for reminding me about the He!! Houses! I went to those. Had nightmares for weeks. I'm so glad my parents didn't participate in Halloween because it was scary and evil, yet encouraged me to go to hell houses:glare:. Not hypocritical at all.

Well, I certainly wasn't trying to embarass us further but somehow I don't think this situation is unique to my school. I see this stuff every where in the states. So my post is more of plea (disguised as a rant as it was still fresh at that point) to Christians to PLEASE STOP DOING THIS.

And I don't mind if non-Christians see it because I want them to know that those people do NOT represent the whole of Christianity. I want them to know that not all Christians think like that. That is my way of educating people on the topic..

Amen Heather, amen.

Good for you for speaking out. I completely agree with you. :001_smile:

I hear SO many Christians say this. "I don't need YOU to convict me; I have the Holy Spirit. HE will convict me. Keep *your* convictions to yourself".

Has the Lord *never* used a Christian brother or sister's words to convict you about ANYTHING? Really? 'Cause I know the Lord's done that to me PLENTY.

Isn't that the point of listening to another Brother's teachings/preaching? To grow in the Word, to learn? Certainly to be encourage, edified, supported. But also sometimes for conviction, for clarity, for direction, right? Isn't that why the New Testament instructs the older women to counsel the younger women?

I'm saying that yes, surely the Lord does convict us by reading of His Word, at quite times in our prayers, and by his Holy Spirit as our counselor and guide. But scripture also says that we are to exhort and correct one another as Christian brothers and sisters. In love, surely. But we ARE instructed to do so.

I

If we are not open to that, both to instruct AND be instructed, we are missing out on growth in the Lord.

Yes, sometimes it's painful. Sometimes, its humbling. But it can also be for the glory of God when we humble ourselves to the word brought to us *from* the Lord, *through* the counsel of other believers.

But there is SUCH a big difference between explaining why you feel convicted to do something, and threatening someone else with hellfire/implying they're ****ed/whatever if they don't end up sharing your convictions.

I have absolutely no issue with the first (although, if I express a desire to not discuss the subject further, I would expect a friend to accede), and a large issue with the second.

If I have person A telling me that they are convicted and that they feel the need to share their conviction with me because it's from the Lord and then I have person B telling me that they are convicted and that they feel the need to share their conviction with me because it's from the Lord, BUT both of these "convictions" are at odds with one another....is the Lord using both to cause confusion? Are they both right, both wrong? Or perhaps people should simply share, at appropriate times (important), what THEY believe, without condemning everyone else that doesn't agree, and then lay off?

But there is SUCH a big difference between explaining why you feel convicted to do something, and threatening someone else with hellfire/implying they're ****ed/whatever if they don't end up sharing your convictions.

I have absolutely no issue with the first (although, if I express a desire to not discuss the subject further, I would expect a friend to accede), and a large issue with the second.

If I have person A telling me that they are convicted and that they feel the need to share their conviction with me because it's from the Lord and then I have person B telling me that they are convicted and that they feel the need to share their conviction with me because it's from the Lord, BUT both of these "convictions" are at odds with one another....is the Lord using both to cause confusion? Are they both right, both wrong? Or perhaps people should simply share, at appropriate times (important), what THEY believe, without condemning everyone else that doesn't agree, and then lay off?

I agree with both of you. :001_smile:

I was simply encouraging the poster I responded to to be *open* to other believers sharing their convictions. The Lord DOES use other believers to help guide us, along with using the Holy Spirit.

I

bethany, i totally agree with you. christians are used to help each other and sometimes that means addressing sin. but i think some things really do vary from family to family, and imo, halloween is one of those things. as i stated in a previous post, i don't know any christian that is celebrating the roots of halloween. the meaning that we try to attach to it really doesn't apply. my kids wear costumes that aren't contrary to my faith and we get candy, play games, eat food, do a cakewalk, and support the local fireman's largest fundraiser of the year. it is called a halloween festival here. but nothing about it is related to pagan, satan, harvest, or fill in the blank for the other things we hear all of the time. most people i know in real life (christian or not) consider it a fun time to simply have the kids dress up and get candy. that's it.

also, the issue with conviction from another believer isn't always beneficial because some aren't hard fast rules, but truly something each family prays about and discerns. for example, we do not drink alcohol. we do not watch rated r movies. we permit limited secular music. we believe tithing is biblical and necessary. we believe in a young earth creation. and i could really go on and on listing things that would probably derail the thread because they would seem so ridiculous, offensive, and legalistic. for us though, they aren't rules. they are truly things we feel led to live by and follow. some christians feel convicted that skirts are the only proper attire for women. christians can't agree whether CS lewis is a good read or satanic. some christians will argue tooth and nail over veggie tales, easter eggs, christmas trees, the message bible, the shack, KJV only churches, etc. and although i find much of it exhausting and truly time wasted, it is really okay. they have the freedom to do that. but if those convictions were placed on me by fellow believers and equated to how strong my walk with god was, it would be soooo constraining and miserable for me. it would not be freeing at all! we don't believe that all of our convictions apply to all christians. some things are not grey for us. some things are solid truth. other things vary from family to family.

Edited by mytwomonkeys

This is not limited to Christians at all. I was on a town committee and we did the same dance about a totally secular party unrelated to any holiday. I'm not on a committee that is building a health center and the same type of ridiculous discussions are taking place. Meetings are a time drain because everyone has an opinion that is absolutely right.

I was simply encouraging the poster I responded to to be *open* to other believers sharing their convictions. The Lord DOES use other believers to help guide us, along with using the Holy Spirit.

I absolutely do agree with you here. :)

I've experienced so much spiritual abuse and people that have used their religion to try to manipulate me or cover their own wrongdoing, that I severely limit who these people may be. I believe the majority are NOT from the Lord. Ironically, I've seen the Lord use non-Christians as much as Christians in my life in a positive way.

/win

It was worth reading through this entire thread just for this post.

You even included Ant Man!

YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN BUSY WHILE I WAS GONE!!!!!!

1st - Kudos to Mrs. Mungo and I think it would be brave to mix the Marvel and DC heroes. Very ecumenical! World Peace. :D

2nd - Audrey, clothing optional????? In the woods, with the 'squitos and the ticks??????

3rd - Holy Ghost Weenie Roast - now I think I have officially heard everything! This just blows my mind...me thinks the punch was spiked at the meeting where they came up with that one!

4th - STOP POSTING PICTURES OF THOR! I'm a married woman. ;)

5th - Good Gravy! 30 pages and no cupcakes or Johnny Depp in a kilt. I honestly did not think this was achievable.

6th - I want to see the picture of the Mrs. Mungo costume and failure to post is a grievous, grievous sin. :lurk5:

Faith

I've experienced so much spiritual abuse and people that have used their religion to try to manipulate me or cover their own wrongdoing, that I severely limit who these people may be. I believe the majority are NOT from the Lord. Ironically, I've seen the Lord use non-Christians as much as Christians in my life in a positive way.

Yes, which is why discernment is a big deal. If someone's convictions align with scripture, then they're worth considering. If they're just someone's opinions wrapped in a holy spirit wrapping paper, then they're not. I've had enough of my mother's and exmil's "convictions from the Lord" to last me several lifetimes. I believe in wise counsel and seeking out those who are wise for counsel when it's needed, but I do NOT believe that every word from the mouth of those who claim to profess Christ is from God. Everyone has an agenda, be it a good one or a bad one. I prefer to look at who the person is, where they're coming from and how they live before I take their word or convictions seriously.

Yes, which is why discernment is a big deal. If someone's convictions align with scripture, then they're worth considering. If they're just someone's opinions wrapped in a holy spirit wrapping paper, then they're not. I've had enough of my mother's and exmil's "convictions from the Lord" to last me several lifetimes. I believe in wise counsel and seeking out those who are wise for counsel when it's needed, but I do NOT believe that every word from the mouth of those who claim to profess Christ is from God. Everyone has an agenda, be it a good one or a bad one. I prefer to look at who the person is, where they're coming from and how they live before I take their word or convictions seriously.

I know your post was meant to be serious, and I agree with much of what you wrote, but the "holy spirit wrapping paper" comment literally made me lol:lol:! Because I KNOW.

Yes, which is why discernment is a big deal. If someone's convictions align with scripture, then they're worth considering.
You do realize that there are (and I would say a majority) abusive churches, organizations and even cults that claim they base all teachings on the scriptures, and you can look up the scriptures and verify them?

Amen, OnTheBrink.

Can I just take this opportunity to say, you are one of the ladies on this forum who I DO consider wise counsel as an 'older' sister in Christ. Older in quotes, since you're older than me, but not OLD. :D