Menu

Aprons

Do you wear an apron during the day? I'm not really an aprony-type girl, but my clothes end up filthy by the end of every day, and I often end up wiping my hands on my trousers because I can't find a tea towel! I'd be interested to hear if others wear an apron. What kind? Where do you buy them? Can you link me a picture? Please don't suggest I sew one because I am even less of a sewing-type girl!

I only wear an apron when I'm frying food. My mil wears an apron anytime she's in the kitchen, even if she's just making a sandwich. She's used to wiping her hands on her apron. Even when I wear an apron I use a kitchen towel for my hands. I have only two aprons and both were gifts. One has an adjustable neck strap, the other doesn't. I recommend the adjustable strap.

I want to wear an apron, because I'm so sick of treating all the little (and big!) oil spots that my shirts seem to collect, but I cannot seem to get comfortable in them! I almost feel like they're strangling me, or they pull on the back of my neck and give me a headache. And they don't protect my sleeves anyway. I've just started changing into "junk" shirts when it's time to cook. I have loads of T-shirts with bleach stains, those little holes in the belly, etc. that don't work for leaving the house but work great for working inside the house.

I haven't given up on the aprons though; I saw some really pretty ones at our Marshalls. I do covet them, I just can't wear them!

I have been wanting some funky aprons, but I can't bring myself to shell out the big bucks for the cute ones I see on Amazon and on etsy. I got as far as buying a book of patterns, but haven't whipped any up yet.

DD has a Christmas apron that she uses year round. I'd like to make her a couple as a Christmas gift.

I have been wanting some funky aprons, but I can't bring myself to shell out the big bucks for the cute ones I see on Amazon and on etsy. I got as far as buying a book of patterns, but haven't whipped any up yet.

DD has a Christmas apron that she uses year round. I'd like to make her a couple as a Christmas gift.

Marshalls! Ours has a whole selection of $12-ish aprons.

Two came from a restaurant supply store and are probably 15+ years old.

Then last Christmas I bought two quirky ones from Cafe Press. The quirky ones are "embarrassing" according to my teenagers, but I love them.

Very necessary for cooking IMHO.

I just got SO SICK of never having a presentable shirt, I started wearing aprons. Then, my mom gave me all of Nana's aprons. Now if I'm in the kitchen, I wear an apron. I LOVE them and collect them.

I splatter greasy things on myself but fortunately I usually wear older clothes around here because it is a farm and dusty. Petting the dog and the horse can ruin your clothes in a hurry. I do have aprons. Just need to REMEMBER to wear them!

I have that same plain William Sonoma one from above in black. I also have a frilly pink and green floral one with ruffles and a black and white polka dot with red trim, both from Etsy. I wear an apron pretty much all the time when I am home until dinner is on the table. Keeps my clothes clean and gives me a handy pocket. Great for both cooking and cleaning.

Also, at least the ones from etsy inspire my husband to want to, in WTM parlance, brew some tea. Just saying.

Edited by kijipt

I have one that was a gift at our wedding seven years ago that I wear, but I recently had one made that was shipped yesterday from a woman on etsy who has made dresses for my oldest DD in the past. I'm so excited!!

Here's her shop if anyone else is interested! I'll be ordering a matching one for the aforementioned DD soon since she is always wanting to help me in the kitchen.

This listing is a picture of mine. :)

I aspire to be an apron wearer. For some reason though, I tend to wipe my hands on my bottom. :001_rolleyes: I think I need a special apron. :D

Me too! But I wipe on my thighs most of all. But occasionally a swipe back there. :lol:

But I would love to get into a couple of cute, retro aprons.

I only wear an apron when I'm frying food. My mil wears an apron anytime she's in the kitchen, even if she's just making a sandwich. She's used to wiping her hands on her apron. Even when I wear an apron I use a kitchen towel for my hands. I have only two aprons and both were gifts. One has an adjustable neck strap, the other doesn't. I recommend the adjustable strap.

Ikea has a great apron design. The neck and waist cords are all one cord. There are these wide hems that let the cord run through, so adjusting is easy and there is no metal piece at your neck.

6231101A-3715-48D4-B752-81C917756B61-10211-000012623CFC2442.jpg

I made one out of an old pair of jeans. I just use a shoelace to tie it closed in back, hang a hand towel from one of the belt loops. When I clean I put cloths, magic erasers in the pockets and hang squirt bottles from other pockets. Mine has both the front and back pockets still attached, I just cut out the zipper and wear it backwards.

Kind of like this one but I didn't make my cute at all. I just cut it and didn't do any hemming or decorating.

I wear one when I am cooking and baking.

:iagree: I spend a LOT of time cooking from scratch (everything must be vegetarian, dairy-free, and gluten-free) and am more than a little klutzy, so I have found that the best way to spare my clothes is an apron. My favorite has two front pockets: one for my phone and the other for my iPod. When my family sees me in an apron, they know I am in serious work mode and will leave me alone, knowing that good stuff is happening in the kitchen.

I made one out of an old pair of jeans. I just use a shoelace to tie it closed in back, hang a hand towel from one of the belt loops. When I clean I put cloths, magic erasers in the pockets and hang squirt bottles from other pockets. Mine has both the front and back pockets still attached, I just cut out the zipper and wear it backwards.

Kind of like this one but I didn't make my cute at all. I just cut it and didn't do any hemming or decorating.

You are a GENIUS!!!

I have a ridiculous obsession with sewing aprons. My latest is ruffles on the bottom because I just got my serger back from the shop. So now everything is getting ruffled :lol:

But cute ruffles. Not overdone ones.

Is that like cute but not overdone glitter?

Total oxymoron. :D

I hate, hate, hate stains on my clothing and wear an apron any time I do anything in the kitchen. (Which is very often.) I have two large, very plain aprons -- don't remember where I got them, though. My main criterion for buying an apron is that the top has to come up as high as possible.

I could really use a separate apron for cleaning, and I would love one of those aprons that has sleeves. That might be getting into 'housedress' territory, though. Or possibly 'duster'?

Wow, what a timely post. I just put some apron pattern books on hold at the library.

I keep meaning to use one, but the only time I remember is after I get my shirt dirty. I have several of my mom's full aprons. The ones that just go on your waist wouldn't work for me, because I'm always splashing something on my shirt while cooking. As for wiping my hands, I practically always have a towel tossed over my shoulder while I'm working in the kitchen.

I just got SO SICK of never having a presentable shirt, I started wearing aprons. Then, my mom gave me all of Nana's aprons. Now if I'm in the kitchen, I wear an apron. I LOVE them and collect them.

Me, too! My favorite is a 1920s button apron like this, but longer and less tailored. No strangling or neck pulling.

Me, too! My favorite is a 1920s button apron like this, but longer and less tailored. No strangling or neck pulling.

Huh. That might work. How do you get into that? Over the head and then one arm through each sleeve hole? (Can you tell my sensory issue is clothing? :lol:)

ETA: Doh! Never mind. I didn't scroll down far enough!

Edited by Sweet Morning Air

I wear one when I'm in the kitchen. :001_smile:

I realized one day that I didn't have to worry about staining my shirts if I wore one that had a bib like the one from William Sonoma. I had a Christmas themed one in the cupboard and another I inherited from my grandma so I use those. She made hers from a tea towel--just added ties.

I really like the little blue jean apron. But my messes happen further up on my chest. :glare: Perhaps one with a bib.

I wipe my hands on my sides too if I'm not wearing an apron. When the apron is on it's the front right corner I pick up and use as a towel. :001_smile:

I love aprons. Love, love, love. It's funny, because I used to abhor anything girly or ruffly, but now that I cook so much from scratch, aprons are my world. :tongue_smilie:

I get mine from the thrift store, mostly. They have some gorgeous older ones, mostly hand-made. My favorite at the moment, which I wear whenever I'm cooking, is a standard apron shape and has a dark floral top, a black tie around the waist, and the bottom is this frilly, ruffly white thing with eyelet lace and embroidery. Got it at the thrift store for a buck. I look like a disney princess when I wear it over a dress. :D

I love my aprons! I have two made by this woman http://diaperbagwrangler.com/collections/snap-apron and they're amazing. The tea towel detatches so I bought 2 extras and always have one clean (I do kitchen laundry every 2-3 days) and don't have to worry about washing the actual apron nearly as frequently.

Thanks for the link. I think one of these will be a great gift for mil. They're so pretty!

Thanks for the link. I think one of these will be a great gift for mil. They're so pretty!

No problem! I have given them frequently for bridal showers because they're pretty and practical. Plus I love if I am having company over and the towel is all dirty looking I can just unsnap it and I have a beautiful clean apron again.

I wear them and love them. I buy vintage ones from yard sales and thrift stores, or I pick them up at Anthropologie or Sur La Table.

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/category/aprons%20&%20potholders/home-kitchen-aprons.jsp

http://www.surlatable.com/search/searchContainer.jsp;jsessionid=631D95457C6A818AB494F611EBD8F79D?q=apron&s=true

I also use an oil cloth apron for doing dishes.

http://cottagehomedecor.net/oilcloth-products.html