Menu

When do the kids get a shower?

I'm thinking about changing when the kids (1 and 4 years) get a shower. Since they've been born they been getting a bath before bed on the advice that the routine and such will help wind them down. Instead it seems, bath time makes them wide awake. I was musing right when they wake up, but DH mentioned it might be better to give them a bath after breakfast instead.

When do your kids get a bath?

iirc, when they were younger, it was in the evening, but not right before bed. Or not right before sleep, anyway - we had a longish night time routine with reading and such.

A bath generally wakes ME right up, so I'd definitely try it the other way. A routine is important for most kids, but it doesn't have to involve a bath or shower.

When my kids were babies/tots, I had a full-time nanny (I work full-time) so I told her to bathe the kids after brunch (they "fed themselves" oatmeal, so a bath was timely then). When they went to preschool, I didn't do daily baths, but they had baths on some weekday evenings and on Saturday mornings. Now they have a bath most evenings about a half hour before I expect to put them to bed.

I'm not sure if the timing makes any difference in my kids' case.

However, I would not do baths in the morning because it's about to get cold around here, and sending them into the cold while wet isn't wise.

Always on Wednesday night after gymnastics, while I get dinner ready. And always on Sunday afternoon before we head to church at 6. Other than that, they usually bathe at least one more day a week whenever I find they are dirty or stink!

In the summer they bathe daily if they play outside. Generally, right around dinner time. In yhe winter, they bathe less often.

We had the same problem with my almost 2 year old. We started noticing that his bedtime bath was getting him all wound up! Now I bathe him after his afternoon nap on most days, except on Sunday mornings I bathe him after breakfast so that he is all clean for church :001_smile:. I wouldn't bathe him right when he wakes up in the morning because I figure he is hungry after sleeping 11-12 hours. If he is obviously dirty from playing outside or whatever he gets a quick wipe down with a warm wash cloth before putting on his pj's.

My teens are starting to shower in the am like I do. My littles have a bath at night after dinner as part of their bedtime routine. It does calm them. DD5 sometimes has one in the am and 1 at night based on her mood etc. She loves the bath and sometimes that is all that calms a cranky mood. If it did not calm them I would do it earlier in the day.

I am FIRMLY in the bath before bed camp. I want kids clean before they crawl into their beds...otherwise their sheets are just um, gross.

When ds was young we had a long bedtime routine....bath, snack, reading, prayers....about an hour at least passed between bath and lights out.

Generally every night right after dinner. My kids are grots -always covered in stuff - glue, food, dirt, paint, markers LOL. Little one is not potty trained and needs his butt washed properly every night or he gets a rash.

My kids never want to get in the bath and then they never want to get out :glare:

I take 2 showers/baths a day - so we like water around here :D