Menu

Weight Loss surgery - discussion with boundaries............

I work 3 - yes 3 - jobs.

Intentional exercise is not something I can fit in and I don't believe it is a significant factor in weight loss.

It's not that I eat "very little" but I don't eat enough to explain my weight if you believe the calories in/calories out or lower fat/whole grains model.

Well the calories in/out doesn't work for everyone. If you are considering the surgery you could always try a strict LCHF diet while waiting. Not much to lose....except weight. Oh I kill myself. Wouldn't hurt to talk to a dr specializing on the surgery. I would guess they'd be able to determine if you are a good candidate and help you get started.

I hear you on the time factor. 3 jobs would make that very difficult.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm concerned about one thing... The way these surgeries work is *purely* by reducing the amount of food your body can take in. If calories in/calories out doesn't work for you, why would this? It works for other people because it is a truly extreme form of volume reduction (which translates to caloric reduction). It doesn't change the way your body processes nutrients. It doesn't change your metabolism. It just changes the amount of food you can take in. (And in many cases, that can translate to severe nutritional deficiencies on top of the risks of major surgery generally.)

I tend to agree that weight loss is far more complex than calories in / calories out, though one *will* lose weight on a forced starvation diet, which is what the first few months after surgery amount to.

I know you're not looking for alternatives right now. But I think understanding how the surgery works (and doesn't) is really important when deciding if it's worth trying.

That's what is confusing me. If lowering calories doesn't work then why would WLS work? Or does WLS do something other than limiting caloric intake?

I work 3 - yes 3 - jobs.

Intentional exercise is not something I can fit in and I don't believe it is a significant factor in weight loss.

It's not that I eat "very little" but I don't eat enough to explain my weight if you believe the calories in/calories out or lower fat/whole grains model.

Just an FYI but some weight training is really necessary after the surgery. Not a lot, but some. It helps preserve lean tissue (and you need to be proactive about this when you are losing fast) and also is beneficial for bone mass because you won't absorb calcium the way you used to. That's all something the surgeon and dietician will go over with you but it is part of the process.

Because it isn't just to change how much you eat, it physiologically changes how you digest. It has the malabsorption but it also changes the hormonal processes involved in digestion.

Which surgery changes the hormones? The new sleeve surgery, maybe?

Gastric bypass will cause malabsorption, but that comes with it's own complications and risks.

Either way, the chief way that these surgeries work is by reducing the VOLUME of the food a person can eat. If she is already at a normal level of food intake then WLS may not be for her. I imagine that if she tells a surgeon that she doesn't eat too much they may conclude the same thing. (Unless they just want to do another surgery, in which case Joanne would likely see right through that.)

Which surgery changes the hormones? The new sleeve surgery, maybe?

Gastric bypass will cause malabsorption, but that comes with it's own complications and risks.

Either way, the chief way that these surgeries work is by reducing the VOLUME of the food a person can eat. If she is already at a normal level of food intake then WLS may not be for her. I imagine that if she tells a surgeon that she doesn't eat too much they may conclude the same thing. (Unless they just want to do another surgery, in which case Joanne would likely see right through that.)

RNY does. Yes, the primary way is by reducing stomach size but the hormonal part is significant as well. Another thing is that some people can only lose with VCLD and those are extremely difficult to sustain with a normal size stomach. When you try, not only do you get hungry but your body sends signals to preserve body fat. When the stomach is actually full with a small amount of food, that doesn't happen. So it isn't just the calories, it's about your stomach feeling full and signaling accordingly on a small amount of food. You can't do that with a normal sized stomach and a tiny amount of food.

RNY does. Yes, the primary way is by reducing stomach size but the hormonal part is significant as well. Another thing is that some people can only lose with VCLD and those are extremely difficult to sustain with a normal size stomach. When you try, not only do you get hungry but your body sends signals to preserve body fat. When the stomach is actually full with a small amount of food, that doesn't happen. So it isn't just the calories, it's about your stomach feeling full and signaling accordingly on a small amount of food. You can't do that with a normal sized stomach and a tiny amount of food.

Ahhh. Does the artificially small stomach still send this full signal?

This seems counterintuitive, because if stomachs send signals, which I do understand, but overweight people obviously don't heed the signals in the first place, how is anything going to be any different when the new, artificially small stomach begins to signal again?

If this worked, no one would be overweight. :confused:

(Yes, I have some pounds to lose, in fact necessary to lose in order to fix a hernia. But although I know what a signal is, obviously I know how to disregard it as well, when I'm really enjoying something...hence, the pounds to lose! So, interested and a bit confused.)

Ahhh. Does the artificially small stomach still send this full signal?

This seems counterintuitive, because if stomachs send signals, which I do understand, but overweight people obviously don't heed the signals in the first place, how is anything going to be any different when the new, artificially small stomach begins to signal again?

If this worked, no one would be overweight. :confused:

Yes, it then sends the full signal with less food. Yes, some people still ignore that signal...and they regain. It's a tool, not a foolproof solution. It's important for anyone considering it to realize that.

Yes, it then sends the full signal with less food. Yes, some people still ignore that signal...and they regain. It's a tool, not a foolproof solution. It's important for anyone considering it to realize that.

Yeah, but it is a tool that every one of us has inbuilt in the first place.

In the USA, a whole lot of us have managed to disregard this perfectly functioning, factory-installed tool. So I'm really not understanding how it would work to recreate it, unless you just go through so much trauma that you never want to go through it again (that's how I gave up sugar, though without the much worse (in my view) surgical trauma).

Just an FYI but some weight training is really necessary after the surgery. Not a lot, but some. It helps preserve lean tissue (and you need to be proactive about this when you are losing fast) and also is beneficial for bone mass because you won't absorb calcium the way you used to. That's all something the surgeon and dietician will go over with you but it is part of the process.

I said upthread, and I do believe, that exercise is needed for overall health. My research also lead me to conclude that the aerobic emphasis of the 70's and 80's is off mark and that weight bearing exercise is of extreme benefit. :)

I have a close friend that had a gastric bypass. The one that makes your stomach really tiny. The doctor had a whole program you went through before you decided on surgery and meetings afterwards. She moved and hasn't had the follow up as recommended. She now has started putting weight back on. I think some stress and drinking is the problem. I think you could start in with a doctor/clinic and go to the info sessions. It would be a big help in deciding what is best for you. They found the nurse very helpful. I'm not sure I would use a doctor if the support systems weren't in place. I can't imagine you wouldn't lose weight.

I believe you. I actually went to an endocrinologist last summer because I weigh much more than I think I should weigh for how I eat and how much I move. My thyroid stuff comes back in the normal range. Blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. all good.

However, my feet are always swollen. I look like I have Fred Flintstone feet. The doctor told me my feet were swollen because I'm fat. He was a total a$$, and I left the office crying. He really didn't listen to me. I've been too busy to try to deal with it again, but I know what you're saying. I do occasionally overeat when I'm stressed. I tried going to OA, but that format didn't work out for me. I haven't tried no grains at all, but I do eat gluten free and that hasn't helped with weight loss, although everyone said it would.

:grouphug:

I am so sorry you were treated this way! If I were you I would look around for a better doctor. You know, one who treats patients like actual people, deserving of basic respect. :glare: It does sound like you may have some form of metabolic disorder.

IME - and I've seen a fair number of endocrinologists over the years since I was diagnosed with blood sugar issues fairly young - the younger doctors are usually better. They are more aware of current research and more willing to listen and not think they automatically know everything. Of course, some young ones can be a$$hats too, it just seems to lower the odds.

This may or may not fall into your guidelines for this discussion. Yesterday on NPR they were talking about that antibiotics destroy good flora as well as bad (we all KNOW this) but they are linking it to "inflammatory" diseases - which obesity is included in.

I would consider trying a broad range of different probiotics to help your metabolism.

http://thyroid.about.com/b/2006/03/05/probiotics-the-good-bacteria-could-be-a-key-to-good-health.html

http://ebm.rsmjournals.com/content/235/7/849.full

If you are seriously considering a band, maybe you could try this first.

http://www.fullbar.com/

I've only known one person (a friend's mom) who had the surgery done 15 years ago (the surgery has changed a bit since then) and she did okay after a while. BUT once, when she went on vacation with just her 16yo daughter, she got food "stuck" and she passed out in a remote gas station bathroom. My friend totally panicked - luckily there was a woman and her boyfriend who helped them drive to the nearest hospital. And FWIW, the woman is still obese.

I think that there are a lot of mixed outcomes with this surgery.

You have a lot going on in your life. :grouphug::grouphug:

I hope you find the right answer for you.

I had gastric bypass 8 years ago at age 29. I worked out like a maniac for the 1st 9 mos. and lost 115 lbs. I started at 258, as. 22/24. I've since stopped working out much and have gained back about 20-25 lbs but have kept the rest off and wear a sz. 10/12. My biggest issues are taking vits. daily.My teeth are brittle b/c of my natural lactose intolerance and induced malabsorbtion. I take calcium, iron and b12 daily. I look and feel great and had no surgical complications. It took a while for me to learn how and what I could eat but can tolerate pretty much everything now...in moderation.

I said upthread, and I do believe, that exercise is needed for overall health. My research also lead me to conclude that the aerobic emphasis of the 70's and 80's is off mark and that weight bearing exercise is of extreme benefit. :)

FWIW, exercise was key for me. Not because it burned more calories (I usually am hungry enough after exercise to make up most of the difference anyway :tongue_smilie:) but because it helped normalize my insulin response. My body just functions more efficiently when I exercise regularly. Once my insulin, cortisol, etc were functioning more effectively I did start to lose weight very slowly. At that point I did Optifast through my doc and lost weight much more quickly, but I don't think Optifast would have worked if I hadn't addressed the other issues first.

My DH had a friend that had gastric bypass surgery. The guy lost all his weight and was feeling great. He went in for a body lift to remove the excess skin and he died on the operating table.

OMG! How horrible!

One lady who used to come to many scrapbooking events that I attend had basically the same thing happen to her. She had gastric bypass, and she did well, lost lots of weight, and was very happy. She went in for another kind of surgery (not skin removal), and she died on the table, but the were able to revive her after several minutes. She has had some serious residual problems from that. She never said it was associated with the WLS, though.

I am so sorry you were treated this way! If I were you I would look around for a better doctor. You know, one who treats patients like actual people, deserving of basic respect. :glare: It does sound like you may have some form of metabolic disorder.

IME - and I've seen a fair number of endocrinologists over the years since I was diagnosed with blood sugar issues fairly young - the younger doctors are usually better. They are more aware of current research and more willing to listen and not think they automatically know everything. Of course, some young ones can be a$$hats too, it just seems to lower the odds.

Thanks. I know I should try somebody else. Just haven't made it a priority, yet. I'm seriously thinking about trying the GAPS diet to see if I can heal my digestive system, and then leave out more grains when I go back to my normal gluten free, veggie intensive diet.

My DH had a friend that had gastric bypass surgery. The guy lost all his weight and was feeling great. He went in for a body lift to remove the excess skin and he died on the operating table.

My bff's sister just about had the same thing happen less than a month ago. She followed the diet plan and exercise religiously, lost great amounts of weight and then went in to have excess skin removed and almost didn't make it out of the hospital. That is the only person I know of that has had it done irl. For her it has been a life changer but as she is about 1 yr out I'm not sure of the long term health ramifications.

I'm concerned about one thing... The way these surgeries work is *purely* by reducing the amount of food your body can take in. If calories in/calories out doesn't work for you, why would this? It works for other people because it is a truly extreme form of volume reduction (which translates to caloric reduction). It doesn't change the way your body processes nutrients. It doesn't change your metabolism. It just changes the amount of food you can take in. (And in many cases, that can translate to severe nutritional deficiencies on top of the risks of major surgery generally.)

I tend to agree that weight loss is far more complex than calories in / calories out, though one *will* lose weight on a forced starvation diet, which is what the first few months after surgery amount to.

I know you're not looking for alternatives right now. But I think understanding how the surgery works (and doesn't) is really important when deciding if it's worth trying.

:iagree:This was my thought as well. Especially the first paragraph.

It's also hard for habitual snackers to lose after the surgery. You may not be able to eat big meals but you can graze and snack all you want and rack the calories up very quickly. This is how most people who have had it done end up regaining. So if you are a snacker, break that habit first.

I know the relative of mine (the one who gained half her weight back) drank almost all of her calories (over and above what she could actually eat) in the form of soda, sweet tea, Powerade, etc. She also drank smoothies - which were good :).

I just know how absolutely miserable she was for about 3 years..... She had the bypass, not the band, btw.....

:iagree:

Ok - got really curious and read an article on the Mayo Clinic website about all the different possibilities for surgery (there are like 6 different types).

All of them work by limiting the intake of food and altering the absorption of nutrients.

None of them have any thing to do with altering the hormones.

So - bottom line: if weight cannot be lost by dieting and exercise, then the surgery will not help either.

OP - if calories in/calories out isn't the issue (and I know there are plenty of other reasons someone can have a hard time losing weight) - then this will not help you.

:grouphug: joanne. from a different perspective completely, your dc are dealing with the angst over your dh. for their sake, and your own, i'd let that settle out however it does before putting them thru risking losing you, too. :grouphug:

fwiw,

ann

Thanks, Ann. :grouphug:

You're right about voluntary surgery and minor kids. I have some physical issues related to my weight that I can no longer wait to address, but *how* I address them is important.

I have put off the weight/health issues for years waiting for a better time. It seems, at least in my life, that a better time is not going to happen. Adrian could die next week, or he could go on like this for years.

You're right about voluntary surgery and minor kids. I have some physical issues related to my weight that I can no longer wait to address, but *how* I address them is important.

I have put off the weight/health issues for years waiting for a better time. It seems, at least in my life, that a better time is not going to happen. Adrian could die next week, or he could go on like this for years.

:grouphug::grouphug:

I hope you find some answers and a great doctor who can advise you. It's a tough situation you are in all around. :grouphug:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I can only imagine the stress and grief of your situation. I hope you find a solution that works for you. For all of it. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I've found the same studies, and agree.

I participated in some of the low carb threads, so I'm sure you know I've made that lifestyle change. But since then, I've stalled with weight loss, and because of that I've found I am extremely carb sensitive. I can hardly tolerate any at all, and I can only tolerate about 48 grams of protein a day, or my body also turns that into glycogen and I don't lose weight (so, atkins doesn't work for me, either). I eat a metric ton of fat, though!

It sucks, but the alternative...

Anyway, this more strict from of HFLC eating is called Nutritional Ketosis, and there are a few overseas studies on it.

Because I was such a carb eater before, I just have to admit that I might have destroyed my body as far as tolerating them. Plus, most wheats, corn and soy have GMOs, which are now thought to attack the intestines, and I don't know what damage I've caused myself eating them, and I don't know if ever, they will heal to the point where I can tolerate them.

Anyway, here's some information

Praise the Lard

Dr Phinney's book, Art and Science of Low Carb Living.

If you want to investigate while you decide what you're going to do...

I don't know if you have a dr. you trust so take this with a grain of salt. I have found that many drs. do not take women seriously - especially with any weight issues. (Some drs. are great. Not trying to slam the whole profession.)

I think you need more blood work done. I know many people who have had to several diff. drs before their thyroid or other metabolic issues were identified. Before I went to the dr, I kept a food diary and wrote everything I ate, the time, how I felt before, after, medications and vitamins, etc. I also kept an exercise journal. I know you said you do not do formal exercise. Fine. Most drs. will want to know how you are burning your calories. Write down what movement and lifting you do. Also bring in a list of EVERY symptom you have - thinning hair, listlessness, peeling nails, etc.

Having all of this evidence was invaluable when I went to the dr. for extreme fatigue and headaches (you know "bored woman who needs drama" symptoms.) Since I had documentation, he took me seriously. Hopefully the dr. can find out what is going with you. I would strongly recommend doing this since if your body is that outside the norm, then other health issues may be related. Finding out the root cause could end up fixing some of the other health problems. Worst case, you'll know that you did as much as possible before surgery.

Just jumping back in b/c I don't think an important weight loss strategy has been mentioned--getting enough sleep. Here's an article from Psychology Today.

With three jobs I'm thinking you don't sleep very much.

I would do everything in my power to get adequate sleep before going under the knife. Especially after reading the stories in this thread.

Just jumping back in b/c I don't think an important weight loss strategy has been mentioned--getting enough sleep. Here's an article from Psychology Today.

With three jobs I'm thinking you don't sleep very much.

I would do everything in my power to get adequate sleep before going under the knife. Especially after reading the stories in this thread.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Lack of sleep and stress are the two of the biggest health issues a person can have and it sounds like the OP has too much of both..... :grouphug::grouphug:

A friend of mine had a gastric bypass about 11 years ago- and had it done in South America because it was cheaper even though she had insurance here. A year or two later she went back for surgery to remove the excess skin.

So for more than a decade she has kept the weight off, has maintained her diet and exercise routine, and looks fabulous. Her self esteem rose to new heights.

The only downside is that once she became a new person, she was no longer happy in her 'boring' marriage and left her husband and four kids.

The only downside is that once she became a new person, she was no longer happy in her 'boring' marriage and left her husband and four kids.

I've seen that happen. Not just with WLS, but whenever one partner starts *living* and the other partner balks.

I've seen that in my community. It can happen either way. It's not all about weight loss; it's about whether one partner wants to have adventures and the other is happy sitting watching TV.

Edited by LibraryLover

Joanne, I don't know if this advice is what you are looking for, so feel free to ignore it if it doesn't apply. Our metabolism (and busy, busy lifestyles dealing with special needs of family members, etc.) sound very similar! Last year, I realized I was clinically obese despite my efforts to eat well and exercise, and I considered WLS surgery out of desperation. Howevr, I decided to try Medifast first as i was concerned about many of the potential side effects listed in this thread. It was easy to manage with my difficult schedule, nutritionally sound enough to make me actually feel better while dieting, brought my insulin resistant little self under control and, best yet, I lost 63 lbs in six months. I have kept it off for the most part since then, with a few mini-Medifasts to keep things in balance. I continue to eat low carb, but also learned enough from MF to know which veggies, fruits, etc. to avoid to keep my challenging little body (5'2" in my shoes!) from gaining even on a low carb diet.

While on MF, I talked to many people who were doing it either in advance of or in replacement of WLS. I met several who had just about given up, only to find that with MF they could lose 100+ pounds fairly easily. A dear friend of mine went on the diet after I did and has lost around 150 lbs! I say easily because it is laid out for you simply...yes, it is difficult physically in the beginning and mentally after that, but you kind of get in the zone and it rolls along well. I actually miss being on the diet because it was so easy to follow...grab a bar, a shake, a bag of crunchies, a bottle of water and go.

Anyway, if you decide to pursue WLS, I wish you all the best! Just wanted you to know that there is another alternative for us metabolically challenged folks that you might look into first. It was a "Hail Mary" pass that worked for me!

I think this is within your parameters: Perhaps take another look at your 3/23/09 thread. Not one person suggested WLS--just a thought.

I agree with a PP, the surgery is just doing "calories in" for you (forcibly if you end up feeling sick each time you eat).

If I were considering WLS I think I would do a 30 day juice fast first and see what that did for me.

It's not quite that simple. It DOES affect the in/out, BUT there are other issues. For instance, with lapband, there are physical things that factor in to what you put in. You can NOT eat carbs. It can cause a blockage which can be extremely painful and can lead to an endocscopy procedure. Also, if you eat too much it can lead to vomiting.

With gastric bypass, eating high sugar or high fat foods can cause a miserable reaction known as dumping syndrome. From what I have heard, once is MORE than enough to keep you from doing that again.

ETA: Exercise may be important, but if your knees and feet hurt, it ain't gonna happen. Once I lost some weight, I exercised a lot more. As the weight came back on, the pain came back, and the exercise stopped. I am trying to get back to walking.

The procedures do cause a person to limit their calories in. But they also cause some VERY uncomfortable side effects, if one eats certain types of foods.

Having said all that, I had a lapband 5 years ago. I lost 80 lbs in a year. I caught a stomach bug, had severe, repeated vomiting, and the vomiting resulted in the band slipping, and then I had to have it removed. I gained all the weight back, and am now trying to get gastric bypass.

Lapband is ideal. There are minimal side effects, no mal-absorption issues, but, if it slips, it can be a BIG problem.

I had no emotional issues, except for happiness ;) I have a great support system, I guess. I thought it was great to be able to participate in more family activities, have less pain, be able to have decent, fashionable clothes! What was not to love? For me, the emotional issues happened when the band had to come out.

Edited by cin

My MIL had a gastric bypass done a few years ago. She had BCBS PPO that covered it, but only after first going through almost a year of counseling and dieting to "prove" that normal methods of weight loss didn't work for her.

After she had the surgery, she lost a tremendous amount of weight (she was morbidly obese before), and kept it off. The problem is that now she is chronically malnourished, because of how the surgery affected her digestive tract. She is on more medications and supplements now than she was when she was overweight, due the loss of electrolytes, nutrients, and so forth. She is also extremely restricted in her diet (which does not help the nutrition issue) because anything too rich or too difficult to digest gets vomited up, or she has diarrhea.

She just recently had surgery to remove the loose skin, and is recovering from that trauma.

Some things to keep in mind, Joanne, when considering your decision:

1. Stress is a direct hindrance to weight loss. You have been under a tremendous deal of stress the last few years -- this is just as likely a cause for your body's stubborn refusal to shed pounds as anything else.

2. Metabolic resistance to weight loss can be induced by different stressors, such as chronic sleep deprivation, and working in a job where you are sedentary (sitting) for the majority of the time.

3. Any surgery is going to cause trauma to your body. The degree and the length of time negative side effects will depend upon your overall resilience, your immune health, and how well your body heals.

4. If it is a metabolic disorder that is responsible for your resistance to weight loss, it makes sense to treat it as such. An endocrinologist may give you multiple options and treatments that could prove effective, without incurring the cost, the physical recovery, lost work, etc. that surgery would.

Remember, the surgery, even the lapband option, is not without long-term, even permanent effects on your body. I would seriously consider all the data looking at morbidity associated with weight loss surgery before going that route.

Good luck.

Edited by Aelwydd

I've seen that happen. Not just with WLS, but whenever one partner starts *living* and the other partner balks.

I've seen that in my community. It can happen either way. It's not all about weight loss; it's about whether one partner wants to have adventures and the other is happy sitting watching TV.

:iagree: It's a common pattern with any major change in which one partner "moves on" and they can't, as a couple, move with it.

Not to be confrontational, and you know your body better than any of us - but the only way I maintain my weight is with healthy food, cardio, and a LOT of weight training. I'm not "buff' at all - people probably can't event ell - but if I stop doing weights my weight starts going up no matter how little I eat. I could also never stop exercising. No amount of starving myself would work - and I couldn't eat like that for long. I have never "dieted" and I don't think diets (per se) work for most people. I do not drink any calories (only water and my morning coffee), I do not eat junk. I rarely have a 'treat' and if I do it's a handful of chocolate chips. We do not eat desert here unless it is a birthday or holiday. No white flour, lots of fiber.

I think things like Weight Watchers, juice diets, etc., are flawed in that people generally can't keep up any kind of diet like that for long. I eat real food, in healthy quantities, and exercise a lot. The older I've gotten, the harder it has become to stay the same weight.....

It has been the same for me.

I was also going to ask if you have tried metformin?

:iagree: Since my diabetes diagnosis, extended release metformin along with a small amount of exercise has significantly normalized my metabolism and appetite. I also recommend having your thyroid rechecked in detail (not just TSH). My hypothyroidism is better treated with armour thyroid than it was with synthroid. I also had my vitamin D levels checked, and when they came back low, the doctor prescribed high dose RX vit D which has also helped my weight loss, I believe.

My dh has also lost a lot of weight and I think his sleep apnea diagnosis and treatment was a major factor for him.

I have several friends who have lost a lot of weight using a combination of low carb and lifting very heavy weights.

I know that it is counter the low carb approach and probably not the best idea if your body's insulin system is not working properly, but the movie (Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead) was a compelling argument for trying a juice fast. And I certainly don't think a juice fast is riskier than surgery. My speculation is that the primary advantage of the massive amounts of juice is replacing nutrients you didn't know your body was missing.

I tend to agree with others that if calorie restriction isn't working, surgery wouldn't be a good choice. And I also think this means that another, treatable issue is as of yet undiscovered by your doctors but essential for the improvement of your health.

Edited by abacus2

DH had the sleeve procedure this year. It is made for someone over 100lbs overweight. Look for a doctor who requires you to prove that this is right for you. DH started the process last year. He had to prove that he could do this and that he could not lose the weight on his own. Visits to a nutritionist, cardiologist, weight check ins with him, gastro, therapist over a certain time.He was prescribed a liquid diet for awhile before the surgery. During the trial period, he had every test possible and lost nothing. DH's doctor is big on a whole foods no/limited (every great once in a while) processed crap diet.To get approved the BMI has to be over 40 or if you have high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea,other issues you need to be BMI over 35. DH's doctor is one of the best in the area. He hardly recommends the lap band as they are not the best and have a good size failure rate. DH has no eating problems or vitamins issues. He is down almost 70lbs. For him, he has been overweight most of his life. This was his best way to lose the weight. No regrets here. PM me if you need anymore details.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

However, my feet are always swollen. I look like I have Fred Flintstone feet. The doctor told me my feet were swollen because I'm fat. He was a total a$$, and I left the office crying. He really didn't listen to me. I've been too busy to try to deal with it again, but I know what you're saying. I do occasionally overeat when I'm stressed. I tried going to OA, but that format didn't work out for me. I haven't tried no grains at all, but I do eat gluten free and that hasn't helped with weight loss, although everyone said it would.

I haven't gotten past this point, but have you tried drinking more water? I had this same problem, and it turned out I was retaining water from not drinking enough. Being fat obviously contributes, but I noticed a HUGE difference after drinking 8 glasses a day consistently.

Doesn't WLS work by drastically reducing the amount of calories you can eat? So if cal in/out has been a bust, then WLS might be similarly ineffective for you.

Personally, I have known more people who have had serious complications or regained all the weight and then some than people with a good 3-5 year outcome. I would investigate it but proceed with caution.

I haven't gotten past this point, but have you tried drinking more water? I had this same problem, and it turned out I was retaining water from not drinking enough. Being fat obviously contributes, but I noticed a HUGE difference after drinking 8 glasses a day consistently.

Yeah, I drink plenty of water. I exercise. The swelling doesn't go away after I sleep or put my feet up, either. My mother is a retired RN and is constantly poking my feet to see how fast the swollen part pops back up and telling me that it's not good. I know something is wrong with my whole system. I just don't feel "right".

Some i work with, some on a professional basis ( i am a nurse). Many drs will do the surgery because it makes them a great deal of money. It also makes money for the hospital where the surgery is done which is why there are so many advertisements for it. Find a reputable surgeon. If the dr is willing to do the surgery immediatly he is not the one you want. Go through the pre- preparation testing and meetings. Lap band can be reversed gastric bypass is permanent. Gastric surgery will not fix any of your other issues if you have any. Addiction to food can be replaced by other addictlions. You may lose the weight and then gain some or all of it back. This surgery is life changing and not an easy fix. It will require you to be vigilant about your health for the rest ofyour life if you want to stay healthy. Lap band is better imo if you have 100 pounds or less to lose. And with any of these surgeries you still have to think about what you are eating for the rest of your life.

Also, research shows that people often develop other addictions after weight loss surgery. The statistics are pretty high and it's a risk I'd consider carefully.

I'm quoting this post bc it mirrors what I know about one of three people who have had the surgery.

A family friend (who was a recovered alcoholic for many years - think 20+) has gastric bypass. She lost weight and did well for about 3 years. Suddenly, we learned that she was drinking again. She was stopped for DUI. She went to rehab. She did learn in rehab that it is not unusual for an individual who has had this type of surgery to replace one addiction (food) with another (alcohol).

Another friend had the lap band done about 7 years ago. She can no longer eat without vomiting, and most of the time she is on liquids. She has lost about 100 pounds - she looks fabulous. She feels crummy, but she is so thrilled that she is thin, she couldn't care less about how she feels.

Finally, another friend had gastric bypass. I just saw her yesterday, in fact. She has lost about 150 pounds and she now weight about 100 pounds. I don't recall the details, but she nearly died, and now has a host of health problems. She doesn't look well. Her color is pasty and gray.