Menu

What's for dinner? 9/3

What's everyone making? I am cooking for company for the next 10 days:glare: . That's right, 10 days.

We are having grilled chicken and gravy

home made sourdough french bread

tomato and cuke salad (AGAIN....so sick of this but have too many)

brussel sprouts

I need to figure out some sort of dessert. I hate baking.

For the first time in a long time I actually have a menu this week, so I am excited to know in advance what we are having for dinner tonight.

Dh surprised us and came home for the holiday (he has to go back to work later this evening), so we are having a late lunch/early dinner of Crock Pot Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches. I think I will serve them with chips and raw carrots. I've never made this recipe before so I'm hoping they turn out!

Last night I made homemade chicken marsala, garlic roasted broccoli and a big spinach salad. I am off to dig up some leftovers!

Today we are going to a BBQ at my brother's for labor day. It is a huge block party. I am taking some tarragon chicken salad and a loaf of homemade gluten-and-dairy-free chocolate chip banana bread that I made yesterday. It's super moist and no one ever thinks it is vegan and gluten free. There will be lots of potluck BBQ food there. My SIL is making empanadas and chicken, and her neighbors are doing burgers and hotdogs etc.

how about buying a pop-in-the-oven pie or cobbler and some ice cream. That's easy and yummy.

We have stuff like fruit for dessert usually. We really like halved apples, sprinkled with cinnamon, and topped with walnut pieces or halves and baked. When done we top with yogurt whipped with honey or maple syrup (if you do that you have to let the yogurt chill again or it'll be runny).

We also LOVE fruit and whipped cream. Plain fruit with no sugar or anything added. Whip the cream with honey and let get really cold. I use very little honey so it's just barely sweet. There is very little work involved. If you use frozen fruit just let it thaw and making whipped cream is so simple: pour, spoon, whip, done.

and by the way . .. I wouldn't really feel obligated to make a dessert every.single.night.

What's everyone making? I am cooking for company for the next 10 days:glare: . That's right, 10 days.

brussel sprouts

Peach cobbler, very easy. I use paula dean or the pioneer womans recipe. Ice cream sundaes?

how about buying a pop-in-the-oven pie or cobbler and some ice cream. That's easy and yummy.

We have stuff like fruit for dessert usually. We really like halved apples, sprinkled with cinnamon, and topped with walnut pieces or halves and baked. When done we top with yogurt whipped with honey or maple syrup (if you do that you have to let the yogurt chill again or it'll be runny).

We also LOVE fruit and whipped cream. Plain fruit with no sugar or anything added. Whip the cream with honey and let get really cold. I use very little honey so it's just barely sweet. There is very little work involved. If you use frozen fruit just let it thaw and making whipped cream is so simple: pour, spoon, whip, done.

and by the way . .. I wouldn't really feel obligated to make a dessert every.single.night.

Oh I don't need to feel obligated, they tell me :lol:

I told DH to buy me a gallon of vodka at Costco and a bottle of asprin.

I have no idea. It's ds' birthday*, but he doesn't have any special request. I have some chicken; maybe I can convince dh to grill it and I'll make some potato salad and a vegetable to go with it.

*That reminds me I need to update my signature.

It's my son's birthday, too. He's 25 today. We took him out to a Japanese hibachi restaurant last night.

Anyway, dd and I are cleaning out the basement, so we're ordering pizza for dinner. It's Labor day and we're laboring. LOL

We just pulled in from camping and I'd really like to get pizza, but since we can't, I'm making some paneer and we'll have a Bhutanese cheese curry with flatbread.

Honestly, I think the thing I miss most about living in Kyrgyzstan is asking my husband to pick up some hot Central Asian naan on his way home. Making my own flatbread all the time is getting old. ;)

brussel sprouts

MAke pudding pie! No baking.

BBQ ribs, baked beans and corn.

We follow a loose schedule:

Mon: Mexican (not today because of the holiday

Tues: Italian

Wed: Chicken

Thurs: Asian

Fri: Pizza or grilling

Sat/Sun: leftovers or whatever I want to cook

I made a big list of all the things I know how to make in each category. Then I just pick one from each list each week and write it on my sheet on the fridge. Super easy.

Like, since I know tomorrow is Italian night, I took a lasagna mac casserole out of the freezer (made a few a couple weeks ago) to thaw for supper tomorrow. And Wed. we will have chicken pot pie, so I have a bag of cooked, shredded chicken thawing as well.