Menu

Does anyone have a kid who just really could not care less about rabbit trails?

Neither of mine have any interest in following anything we learn down a rabbit trail. Sometimes one will ask me a question, and I'll say, "You know, that's a great question! Let's look that up when we get home." And when we get home, the asker doesn't even want the answer anymore, let alone feel fired up enough to follow the research where it may lead :glare:

I feel like they just couldn't care less about the stuff we learn. If the answer doesn't just drop into their laps, well, then they really didn't need the info that much anyway. I truly cannot think of a single thing I would consider a rabbit trail that either child has ever followed.

My unschooler friends would say I've killed their love of learning, and that's the little voice whispering in my head. Is it really just my kids? I feel like I've broken them.

Nope, you are not alone. You mean you want them to work at finding an answer? Forget it! If it makes you feel better, mine are teens now, and don't mind looking stuff up (for fun of course). The two who are in public school now both thanked me this week for teaching them so much stuff.

My boys are like this.

Like the other poster, they're smart and funny, too. But insatiably curious? Not really. Every now and then, they'll really get interested in something ... Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, the Battle of Britain, so I know there are things out there that capture their imagination. But school topics? Things we learn about in history? They've never asked for more information than what I put in front of them. They, too, will ask a question and I'll offer to help them find the answer, but by the time we get home, they've totally forgotten.

My boys are like this.

Like the other poster, they're smart and funny, too. But insatiably curious? Not really. Every now and then, they'll really get interested in something ... Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, the Battle of Britain, so I know there are things out there that capture their imagination. But school topics? Things we learn about in history? They've never asked for more information than what I put in front of them. They, too, will ask a question and I'll offer to help them find the answer, but by the time we get home, they've totally forgotten.

:iagree:

Yep, here too.

Your unschooling friends might be right. :)

Um... how is this a helpful response? Care to elaborate?

OP, I think that if you're engaging in conversation with your kids about what interests them and supplying them with interesting learning opportunities, this is a personality thing and not something that is your fault.

My kids almost never follow rabbit trails related to their homeschooling lessons. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

It would bother me if they didn't pursue their own interests to the ends of the earth. Mine do that.

I don't see any reason why I should always be able to make them really, really, really care about what I want them to think about. My very thorough and rigorous, non-optional lessons provide raw material for their own thoughts and pursuits, and inform their opinions and understanding of the greater world. That's a pretty good outcome for any K-12 setting, IMO. It's enough.

In our family, homeschooling also allows each child the time required to immerse himself in topics that interest him. He can study my lessons and grow thereby, then put down the books and chase his own dreams.

I don't see any reason why I should always be able to make them really, really, really care about what I want them to think about. My very thorough and rigorous, non-optional lessons provide raw material for their own thoughts and pursuits, and inform their opinions and understanding of the greater world. That's a pretty good outcome for any K-12 setting, IMO. It's enough.

In our family, homeschooling also allows each child the time required to immerse himself in topics that interest him. He can study my lessons and grow thereby, then put down the books and chase his own dreams.

this....my kids passionate explore odd topics completely unrelated to school.

Just yesterday I described my kids as the least curious homeschooled students ever.

They do pursue interests not related to school, though. It is just really weird to me that they ask so few "why" questions. The one I hear the most is "Why do I have to study history?" :lol:

Wow, mine too...I thought she was the minority! Can't count how many times I say, "hmmm, have you ever wondered blah-blah-blah..." And she is quick to answer, "Nope!"

This is also the kid who told me flat out that she doesn't like "deep conversations"...

Switched at the hospital, maybe??:confused:

She is 13 and still hasn't developed any personal passions. It worries me!

Wow, I really hope you were kidding with this comment.

One thing I love about homeschooling is not putting kids into boxes. Some kids don't like rabbit trails, and that is perfectly normal.

No rabbit trails here either, and I have not a smidgen of guilt about not unschooling; I realized early on that it would have crashed and burned for us BECAUSE they are not inherently curious and self-motivated. But they're not unhappy to learn about the things I plan for them, so.

And yeah, they're smart and funny, but they aren't deeply passionate about anything beyond MTG cards, asdf videos and Dr. Who. :001_rolleyes: But whatever... I'm not amazingly passionate about anything, either. I dabble. I'm learning to be okay with this.

No rabbit trails here either, and I have not a smidgen of guilt about not unschooling; I realized early on that it would have crashed and burned for us BECAUSE they are not inherently curious and self-motivated. But they're not unhappy to learn about the things I plan for them, so.

Very rarely do my children follow rabbit trails. Just not their thing.

They hate lapbooks, too.

Do I have to turn in my homeschooler card? :glare:

LOL!

Why would we need to teach and assign research projects if it were natural for all curious and delighted children to rise up and do them of their own accord?

You are describing my kids. Unless we are someplace where we can look it up right now the rabbit trail is not getting explored. If I remind them they wanted to look something up when we get home they will usually will respond with "Oh, yeah. I don't care anymore."

Mine are the same way! In fact, today in history my son stopped me just to ask if he really needs to know this. His exact words were "seriously, do you ever talk to your friends about emperors Why do I need to know this? Is this just for college?". Yeah, definitely no curious George over here:(

Edited by hsbaby
Spelling

So glad for this topic! My kids haven't the slightest interest in rabbit trails, unless, of course, they're following an actual rabbit. :lol: But seriously, mine have no interest in researching anything. DD is all about dancing and will practice spins and turns and leaps and crazy stuff in every spare moment. DS just wants to play computer games. Glad I'm not the only one with "broken" kiddos. :tongue_smilie:

my kids would go down rabbit trails, it's me that has no interest in hopping anywhere.

I have always been like that with school. I did the assignments, did them very well. was a math major in college. did very well. never did any extra exploring educationally.

It baffles me that my kids don't look at their daily assignments, do them, and be done. But I'm trying to change for them!

Robin

I have an acquaintance who raves on and on about how she and her son are constantly exploring rabbit trails about anything and everything they study. She says her ds loves, loves, loves learning about the world, and they are always researching this or that, just because -- did I mention this yet -- they LOVE LEARNING.

So I was feeling like a complete slug every time I talked with her, because ds is more the "get school done so he can do other things" kind of kid, and I was wondering how come this other mom's ds was so incredibly curious about things that would make my ds fall asleep on the spot.

I hadn't seen the family for a while, but I bumped into the mom and she was raving on and on about how her ds had discovered a great LOVE of astronomy. It was a small part of his regular science book, but of course, they LOVED it so much that they simply had to go wild and learn everything possible about astronomy. I'm talking books, videos, field trips, astronomy journals -- the whole nine yards. She was very excited about it, and quite honestly, I was back to feeling like a slug again. But when she invited me to a science exhibit her homeschool group was having, so I could see all of her ds's hard work on display, I said I'd go. (I like the kid, and I wanted to make a big fuss over all of his hard work.)

SO... and yes, this story will end soon... I went to the exhibit, and this kid's exhibit was incredible. Honestly. You could tell that he LOVED astronomy, and he was probably pretty darned close to already being a serious astronomer.

I went over to talk with him and ask him about his display, while his mom was caught up with some other people across the room, and I said, "WOW! I am so impressed with your exhibit! You must really LOVE astronomy!"

And he said, "Well, my mom sure seems to like it." :glare:

So....... the next time you feel like a slug because other people's kids are so curious and such hard workers when it comes to those rabbit trails, remember that those incredibly brilliant and creative jaunts into Greater Knowledge are not always child-led. Unless you hear the kid say that he's really interested in a certain thing, you don't really know for sure that it's not his mom that's so interested that she's projecting her own enthusiasm on her kid.

Sure, I think most kids have a great natural curiosity, but it often has nothing to do with anything they're learning in school or that we're teaching them at home. Personally, I'm fine with that.

Wow. That seems unkind. . . hoping you misread the OP?

Very rarely do my children follow rabbit trails. Just not their thing.

They hate lapbooks, too.

Do I have to turn in my homeschooler card? :glare:

You and me both! Mine hate lapbooks and anything resembling coloring pages, except for mapwork from SOTW.

Mine aren't big on rabbit trails either. Well, my older two will ask questions that lead into discussions about things, but usually if it involves actually going and looking something up, it doesn't happen. I do have one that likes trivia. He persuaded me to buy him a National Geographic book the other day that was full of fun facts for kids or something like that, and he'll read that and spout off random things about whatever topic happens to come up :D

They hate lapbooks, too.

Welcome to my world. :glare:

I remember years ago, I read on these very forums about the Joys of Lapbooking and Notebooking.

Gosh, those moms and their kids were so happy. :001_wub:

So of course, I had to get in on the joy. I bought books on lapbooking and notebooking. I bought a bunch of different unit studies that included lapbooking and notebooking projects. I bought sets of lapbooking and notebooking kits.

They all live outside in my garage now.

I don't really think it was my fault. I was quite enthusiastic when I approached ds with the ideas, and I am quite positive I made it sound like FUN FUN FUN.

And then he said, "Why would we do that?"

OK, not exactly the promising response I'd hoped for, but I was ready for him.

I said it would be FUN FUN FUN, and he would learn his lessons while having a great time in the process. I smiled really big so he would know I was sincere.

"How long is this going to take?" my ever-curious boy asked me with a slightly suspicious tone in his voice.

"Well, sure it will take longer than if you just read the book and take the test, but think about the FUN," I replied.

"I think I'll just stick with reading the book and taking the test," he said, "but you can keep all of the special paper and stuff, because I know you like school supplies."

And that was the end of notebooking and lapbooking.

Welcome to my world. :glare:

I remember years ago, I read on these very forums about the Joys of Lapbooking and Notebooking.

Gosh, those moms and their kids were so happy. :001_wub:

So of course, I had to get in on the joy. I bought books on lapbooking and notebooking. I bought a bunch of different unit studies that included lapbooking and notebooking projects. I bought sets of lapbooking and notebooking kits.

They all live outside in my garage now.

I don't really think it was my fault. I was quite enthusiastic when I approached ds with the ideas, and I am quite positive I made it sound like FUN FUN FUN.

And then he said, "Why would we do that?"

OK, not exactly the promising response I'd hoped for, but I was ready for him.

I said it would be FUN FUN FUN, and he would learn his lessons while having a great time in the process. I smiled really big so he would know I was sincere.

"How long is this going to take?" my ever-curious boy asked me with a slightly suspicious tone in his voice.

"Well, sure it will take longer than if you just read the book and take the test, but think about the FUN," I replied.

"I think I'll just stick with reading the book and taking the test," he said, "but you can keep all of the special paper and stuff, because I know you like school supplies."

And that was the end of notebooking and lapbooking.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to add that *I* also despise lapbooking. A friend from my church LOVIE LOVE LOVES lapbooking and all that other stuff. I came across a History program (forgot what it was) and sent the link to her with the message "This looks like torture to me so I'm sure you'll love it." She does. :D

I also love school supplies too. I think I have enough tohomeschool a small island nation.

I'd liek to homeschool on a small island. Maybe I'll go research that... and make a lapbook about it. :auto:

My kids almost never follow rabbit trails related to their homeschooling lessons. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

It would bother me if they didn't pursue their own interests to the ends of the earth. Mine do that.

As always, what Tibbie said. I have a library policy: my kids are not allowed to pick out the "fun" books until they select one subject they want to learn more about. This way, they follow their own rabbit trails. My kids have watched all of Brian Greene's Fabric of the Cosmos, my son exhausted the dinosaur section, and my daughter could spend hours talking about cheetahs. None of these interests came from our formal homeschooling.

My kids are curious but not curious enough to put forth the effort to find an answer (unless they can find an answer in 1.7 seconds on google) :glare:

You all have me scared. I'm planning on doing our first lapbook ever this year during our study of ancient egypt. *gulp* I hope he doesn't hate it!! LOL

My boys are like this.

Like the other poster, they're smart and funny, too. But insatiably curious? Not really. Every now and then, they'll really get interested in something ... Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, the Battle of Britain, so I know there are things out there that capture their imagination. But school topics? Things we learn about in history? They've never asked for more information than what I put in front of them.

When I was unschooling we had about 30 books (like the ones used by SOTW AG) books relating to the history or science topic in our house at all times. She didn't have time to forget

A homeschooling speaker once said "Homeschooling kids have the right to be as good, bad, or indifferent as anybody else." I think the point was that homeschooling is not a magical, personality-changing pill. Your kids are who they are. I was public schooled my entire life, but I have more natural curiosity than my children who have always been homeschooled. I just do.

I think that to even decide to homeschool involves a love of bunny trails, but our kids aren't homeschooling moms. They want to do their OWN things given a choice. Maybe their thing is to pay attention to where they are right now and not trail off. This is also a life skill.

Some people have kids who are more curious than they are. Some people have kids who are people pleasers. Must be nice for them. :001_smile: My kids have personalities that are completely unlike mine, so our ideas of a good time don't always match up so effortlessly.

In the interest of full disclosure, my oldest child entered high school last February and is a sophomore this year. I've noted no significant changes in her personality. She doesn't LOVE every assignment, but she does a good job and moves on with her life. No significant bunny trails that I've noticed. My son's bunny trails are mainly non-academic. :glare:

Edited by KungFuPanda

Only if those bunny trails include which Moshi Monster is common, rare, or ultra-rare and which series each MMonster belongs to, and the fact that England and the US have different series sequences. Because, ya know...we shop for Moshi Monsters across the pond on a regular basis. :confused:

Or, Skylanders and the power each one holds and how to make it stronger and when exactly the Skylanders Giants come out and just how great each one will be because... blah, blah, blah.

They love to explore and learn about things that interest them. Maybe we'll spark on something via school this year, or maybe not. They both really want to blow something up in science class - does that count? :lol:

My child will definitely take an interest in some bunny trails, but the problem is they seem to invariably involve activities more adventurous than I have the money or inclination to really pursue. Frankly, because his statements of interest go something like this:

"Mom, that show about volcanoes is awesome. Someday, I want to visit a real volcano. I don't want to get too close or anything, just close enough to a lava flow to put a stick in it and catch fire."

"That eye-thing in the hurricane is really neat. So they really fly a plane into a hurricane? That's so cool! Someday, I want to go in that plane and fly into a hurricane to see what the inside of it looks like!"

:confused:

I'm sure the OP has had a longer discussion with her unschooling friends about it. :)

Do *you* want to know, or are you just giving me grief? :)

She said her unschooler friends "would say" she has killed their love for learning -- not that they actually said that. You then confirmed that this imagined judgement by these friends might be right. This seemed strange (and unkind). What is the point of affirming that yes, perhaps this woman has killed her kids' love for learning, without giving her any additional input on how to discern if this is the case, and what to do if it is?

Two other people after me said things like "I hope you were kidding" and "that seems unkind." I just think it's worth considering that perhaps your response wasn't the most sensitive. So yes, I'd love to know. And yes, I'm giving you grief. Because I thought that was mean.

Edited by Janie Grace
clarifying

No rabbit trail followers here. Mine did explore their own interests, though. Ds1 learned a lot on his own about programming just because he wanted to. When he was younger ds2 read lots of books on astronomy just because he wanted to. Dd only wants to learn about cats so first stop at the library is always the nonfiction section on animals. Other than that they've had no interest in extending their study of school topics.

Oh, I take that back. When ds1 was in 4th we studied modern history. He asked if we could just study more on WWII for 5th so we did a whole semester on just WWII.

My dds have never really been into rabbit trails either. When my oldest was a toddler, I had grand visions of the "lifestyle of learning". School and life would flow together seamlessly. Once dd was old enough to really start voicing her opinion, it was this, "Is this school, or not school, for fun." Even if what we were doing for school was fun, she wanted to know if it was school or "not school, for fun". :tongue_smilie: I guess that is just how she is wired.

Sometimes one will ask me a question, and I'll say, "You know, that's a great question! Let's look that up when we get home." And when we get home, the asker doesn't even want the answer anymore, let alone feel fired up enough to follow the research where it may lead :glare:

Sometimes a question is just a question. I'm the same way. I'm interested enough to ask a question. If my laptop is handy, I'll google for an answer. Realistically though, I don't want to research most of the things I ask dh about. :tongue_smilie: As for my kids, once they are out of the car, they just want to play!

I'm sure the OP has had a longer discussion with her unschooling friends about it. :)

Do *you* want to know, or are you just giving me grief? :)

Since you were serious, I'm genuinely interested in what the OP said above that made you think she might have killed her dc's love of learning.

"Mom, that show about volcanoes is awesome. Someday, I want to visit a real volcano. I don't want to get too close or anything, just close enough to a lava flow to put a stick in it and catch fire."

"That eye-thing in the hurricane is really neat. So they really fly a plane into a hurricane? That's so cool! Someday, I want to go in that plane and fly into a hurricane to see what the inside of it looks like!"

I had to comment because long ago dh and I visited the Big Island to see the volcano and walked out to where the lava was flowing into the sea. It was amazing; we'd been there a couple of years before and some of the places we saw then had burned down since. The lava where we walked was hard but the rock was hot and still susceptible to weak spots so of course we were warned that it was risky. But we were young and just had to go out. The closest we could get was about 100 yards away and pretty much all we could see was an orange glow and lots of steam.

And yesterday dh had just come back from a work trip and was telling us they'd flown through the top of Isaac. He said the storm was just like what you see on tv--a circle with a definite edge. I'm guessing the part they flew through was just clouds and not stormy. I've read about Hurricane Hunters, though. Not my kind of excitement but I can see how it would be for some.

My dds have never really been into rabbit trails either. When my oldest was a toddler, I had grand visions of the "lifestyle of learning". School and life would flow together seamlessly.

Ah, the happy rosy dreams of the newbie... I remember them well... :001_wub:

We were going to be just like the families on the cover of the Sonlight catalog.

Still waiting. :glare:

I had to comment because long ago dh and I visited the Big Island to see the volcano and walked out to where the lava was flowing into the sea. It was amazing; we'd been there a couple of years before and some of the places we saw then had burned down since. The lava where we walked was hard but the rock was hot and still susceptible to weak spots so of course we were warned that it was risky. But we were young and just had to go out. The closest we could get was about 100 yards away and pretty much all we could see was an orange glow and lots of steam.

And yesterday dh had just come back from a work trip and was telling us they'd flown through the top of Isaac. He said the storm was just like what you see on tv--a circle with a definite edge. I'm guessing the part they flew through was just clouds and not stormy. I've read about Hurricane Hunters, though. Not my kind of excitement but I can see how it would be for some.

Ack! My ds would be so envious. Your dh and you have apparently lived his dreams. :lol:

Ah, the happy rosy dreams of the newbie... I remember them well... :001_wub:

We were going to be just like the families on the cover of the Sonlight catalog.

Still waiting. :glare:

:lol:

I've stopped waiting. I just finish "school", and let them play while I surf the WTM board. :lol: It makes us all happy. They love school and they follow their own pursuits. I guess I'll have to be happy with that.

You mean you don't read books about China beside the Great Wall? Or smile at a book about butterflies in the middle of a meadow? What's wrong with you? ;)

I know.

I am such a failure. :crying:

Sometimes my ds looks up video game reviews on his iPad when we're having lunch at Panera. Does that count for anything?

I mean, I know that Panera is in a strip mall and not in a meadow, and if there were butterflies there, someone would probably spray them with Raid, but sometimes we sit at a table right by the window and it's kind of sunny outside, so that's sort of the same as the meadow thing, right?

I mean, I know that Panera is in a strip mall and not in a meadow, and if there were butterflies there, someone would probably spray them with Raid, but sometimes we sit at a table right by the window and it's kind of sunny outside, so that's sort of the same as the meadow thing, right?

TOTALLY the same. I'm getting all teary just picturing it.

Neither of mine have any interest in following anything we learn down a rabbit trail. Sometimes one will ask me a question, and I'll say, "You know, that's a great question! Let's look that up when we get home." And when we get home, the asker doesn't even want the answer anymore, let alone feel fired up enough to follow the research where it may lead :glare:

I feel like they just couldn't care less about the stuff we learn. If the answer doesn't just drop into their laps, well, then they really didn't need the info that much anyway. I truly cannot think of a single thing I would consider a rabbit trail that either child has ever followed.

My unschooler friends would say I've killed their love of learning, and that's the little voice whispering in my head. Is it really just my kids? I feel like I've broken them.

Mine are the same way! In fact, today in history my son stopped me just to ask if he really needs to know this. His exact words were "seriously, do you ever talk to your friends about emperors Why do I need to know this? Is this just for college?". Yeah, definitely no curious George over here:(

She said her unschooler friends "would say" she has killed their love for learning -- not that they actually said that. You then confirmed that this imagined judgement by these friends might be right. This seemed strange (and unkind). What is the point of affirming that yes, perhaps this woman has killed her kids' love for learning, without giving her any additional input on how to discern if this is the case, and what to do if it is?

Two other people after me said things like "I hope you were kidding" and "that seems unkind." I just think it's worth considering that perhaps your response wasn't the most sensitive. So yes, I'd love to know. And yes, I'm giving you grief. Because I thought that was mean.

I don't think Ellie was being mean. As a matter of fact, I agree with her. When my kids aren't interested in ANYTHING that we're studying, and they're just doing the work to get done, I see it as a serious problem. That's when their work is sub-par, their attitudes stink, and I wonder why we're even bothering to homeschool when they could go down the street and get the same education. When that happens, I revamp. I dump books, I ask the girls if there is anything they'd like to study, I listen to them play/talk and pick up on what they're into this week. THEN I encourage that rabbit trail.

OP, I would recommend reading Susan Schaeffer Macauley's book, "For the Children's Sake" to breathe some new life into your homeschool. I had read it years ago, re-read it this summer and it has reminded me of all the things we used to do right in our homeschool.

Hsbaby, my advice to you would be, dump whatever book you're reading on emperors because he's not interested, therefore, he's not learning. It's not that he's not curious, it's just that it's not his cuppa tea right now. Ask him, "Son, if you're not interested in learning about emperors, what are you interested in?" Then, go get him books and books on that topic. I tell this story all the time on these boards. When my oldest was in 2nd grade, we were using VP's OT and Ancient Egypt. After the 1st of the year, when we started school back up, I pulled out a book on Ancient Egypt and she yelled, "OH NO!!!! We're still in Egypt?!?! When are we going to be done?!?!" DH encouraged me to scrap it and I asked her what she wanted to do. She said, "I love horses, can we learn about horses?" So that's what we did. She has GREAT memories about that semester, but none about the first. She did not retain one thing.

Just because your kids aren't curious about what you're studying, doesn't mean they're not curious. Take it as you're stifling their curiosity and try something new.

HTH!

Blessings!

Dorinda

Edited by coffeefreak

Hsbaby, my advice to you would be, dump whatever book you're reading on emperors because he's not interested, therefore, he's not learning. It's not that he's not curious, it's just that it's not his cuppa tea right now. Ask him, "Son, if you're not interested in learning about emperors, what are you interested in?"

And then he says, "Nothing." :D

Oh wait. That's just my kid. :glare:

My feeling is that you can learn something even if you're not interested in it, and in fact, a whole lot of the things you need to learn for college or for your career or for life in general will probably be things you don't care about.

But sometimes you just have to suck it up and learn it anyway.

So while I agree that if it's not a big deal, you can just ditch it and choose something else to study, there are some subjects that a kid will probably have to learn even if he hates it, whether it's reading or math or spelling or science or history, or whatever.

I'm not sure we do our kids any favors by not forcing them to learn things they don't care about. I think we should try to make the information as interesting as we can, but I also think that kids need to know how to study and learn even the most boring things, because there's going to be a test on it, or they'll need it for college, or because they'll need to know it before they move on to the next level. It's an important life skill to be able to study and learn about things that don't interest you, but that you "need" to know.

I'm not saying that I'm not all for interest-driven learning, but I think there needs to be a balance.

I don't think Ellie was being mean. As a matter of fact, I agree with her. When my kids aren't interested in ANYTHING that we're studying, and they're just doing the work to get done, I see it as a serious problem. That's when their work is sub-par, their attitudes stink, and I wonder why we're even bothering to homeschool when they could go down the street and get the same education. When that happens, I revamp. I dump books, I ask the girls if there is anything they'd like to study, I listen to them play/talk and pick up on what they're into this week. THEN I encourage that rabbit trail.

I think there's a difference between kids lacking curiosity, kids lacking interest in what you study for school and kids not following rabbit trails. My kids have a lot of curiosity and enjoy most aspects of school. They ask questions, they want answers, etc. If a child lacks that kind of spark at least sometimes, I would agree that there's something gone wrong.

On the other hand, my kids don't have obsessions (unless you count Phineas and Ferb). They don't have huge sustained attention spans for a single topic. They're much more interested in moving on, learning something new, etc. They can come up with things they want to know about and I foster that in various ways, but they're just as happy to learn whatever I say is on the plate for today. I call them my little Renaissance men because there's no topic that they won't sit and learn about or have some interest in - want to go to this art exhibit, this nature class, this robot thing, that history demo? They're always up for anything.

But they're not follow rabbit trails kind of kids because that requires an ongoing desire to learn about the same thing and keep pursuing it. It's just not their personality. And I refuse to believe that I did anything to squelch that. I was actually looking forward to having "little experts" - kids who went gaga for trains or dinosaurs when they were little, who wanted to soak up all the information. We were very unstructured until first grade and I was always waiting for them to get into something in that obsessive way kids have. And it never happened. One day this, the next day that. I think that's totally okay.

Edited by farrarwilliams