Menu

Kate Middleton

Is she still properly referred to by this name? I keep seeing news headlines like, "Kate Middleton chats with Michael Phelps." Now that she is married, is it still appropriate to refer to her this way?

There's disagreement over whether the members of the immediate royal family actually have a surname. I don't know the ins and outs of it, but both of Charles' sons used the made-up surname of 'Wales' (because Charles is Prince of Wales) when in the military.

Officially, she should be called by her title: Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. The newspapers probably still call her Kate Middleton because that's the familiar name that draws the eye.

Laura

There's disagreement over whether the members of the immediate royal family actually have a surname. I don't know the ins and outs of it, but both of Charles' sons used the made-up surname of 'Wales' (because Charles is Prince of Wales) when in the military.

Officially, she should be called by her title: Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. The newspapers probably still call her Kate Middleton because that's the familiar name that draws the eye.

Laura

Yes, I think Laura is right. I can't imagine a headline reading, "Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge chats with Michael Phelps." One article I read said their official last name is Mountbatten-Windsor - also quite the mouthful and a lot less recognizable.

For several years after Diana got married she *was* referred to (informally) as Diana Spencer, or Lady Diana. In fact, I still think of her as Lady Di.

It's hard to say "Duchess of Cambridge" -- it's far easier to say "Kate Middleton." Perhaps she should be referred to as "Duchess Kate" (though that doesn't match very well when you say it in the same sentence with "Prince William"). It's just awkward all around.

Kate needs to show more personality, in my opinion. She is very good at being a wife, but she doesn't seem to have a lot of substance to her.

It's hard to say "Duchess of Cambridge" -- it's far easier to say "Kate Middleton." Perhaps she should be referred to as "Duchess Kate" (though that doesn't match very well when you say it in the same sentence with "Prince William"). It's just awkward all around.

I thought I had seen them referred to as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, not the Duchess and Prince William.

Kate needs to show more personality, in my opinion. She is very good at being a wife, but she doesn't seem to have a lot of substance to her.

She hasn't had much opportunity to show her substance yet. :-) Also, I suspect that all of the royals and the press are being more careful this time around, after the debacle with the Princess.

Well, here is a question, did she take his last name?

Seriously, so many women now keep their maiden names and especially those who do not marry in their early twenties and have degrees, professional licenses, loans, etc. in their maiden names. DD is likely not taking her fiance's last name. Is that an option for Duchess Kate? Could she have not adopted the "Mountbatten (sp?) - Windsor" surname?

I don't know what the rules are for royals that marry in from commoner households, but I'd think that in 2012, a condition of the marriage would not be that she must absolutely give up her maiden name legally. But, since we don't have a monarchy here in the US I could be completely wrong about this.

Maybe she is still legally a Middleton and the media is not using her name incorrectly.

Faith

WordGirl, to answer your rude question, I'm just commenting on what I've observed. She does seem to be doing a great job as a supportive wife to William. She is not showing a lot of personality -- it's not very clear what hobbies she enjoys, or what she does in her free time, except shopping and vacationing. It's true that her interests are her own business, but sharing details about her life would certainly endear her to the public.

Just my opinion. It's not up for debate, sorry.

Interesting. Diana always went by Princess Di. I don't remember hearing her being referred to Diana Spencer

Maybe the difference was that her prince was the heir apparent, or because he's the Prince of Wales. Another possibility is that the Queen has bestowed the title of Princess on her yet. Not sure, but just a guess.

Blessings,

Lucinda

in our house we call her Princess Kate, even tho I am sure that is not correct. But in our minds "you marry a prince, you are a princess" and so what if we are incorrect lol, that is just how we want to think of her as "Princess Kate". Actually when Prince Charles becomes king, then her title will be Princess, right? Being as then she would be Princess of Wales.

I think that they can be referred to as the Cambridges...I'm pretty sure it's improper to refer to her as Kate Middleton, but it's also easier to do it that way.

As for her not having any substance, I'm not sure where anyone could get that idea. I can think of several interests and hobbies of hers, and I don't even live over there! And even if the thing she did best was being a supportive wife, I don't see how that suggests a lack of substance. If it does, I guess I'm pretty insubstantial, too!

I think that they can be referred to as the Cambridges...I'm pretty sure it's improper to refer to her as Kate Middleton, but it's also easier to do it that way.

As for her not having any substance, I'm not sure where anyone could get that idea. I can think of several interests and hobbies of hers, and I don't even live over there! And even if the thing she did best was being a supportive wife, I don't see how that suggests a lack of substance. If it does, I guess I'm pretty insubstantial, too!

:iagree:

It's true that her interests are her own business, but sharing details about her life would certainly endear her to the public.
I don't think she's having a problem on that front. IMHO, she won't have to do more than present a relatively drama-free life and maintain decorum to be judged a "success" as a future queen.

Dimples are a high-mileage asset. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: It seems obvious to me that she wants this job, and she's been preparing for it a good portion of her life.

Edited by nmoira

I have heard that she and Prince William have intentionally kept a low profile since their wedding because it is the Queen's Diamond Jubilee this year. The focus is to be on the Queen.

I also think her life's her own business. The Royal Family may be a national institution, but I think it's a mistake to think we 'own' them.

I have heard that she and Prince William have intentionally kept a low profile since their wedding because it is the Queen's Diamond Jubilee this year. The focus is to be on the Queen.

I also think her life's her own business. The Royal Family may be a national institution, but I think it's a mistake to think we 'own' them.

:iagree: I also think it's a mistake to think we know them just because they are in the public spotlight or that their public image defines their substance and personality. (If it's rude to say so, I'm OK with that.)

Edited by WordGirl

in our house we call her Princess Kate, even tho I am sure that is not correct. But in our minds "you marry a prince, you are a princess" and so what if we are incorrect lol, that is just how we want to think of her as "Princess Kate". Actually when Prince Charles becomes king, then her title will be Princess, right? Being as then she would be Princess of Wales.

Then she will technically be Catherine, Princess of Wales. Only princesses who are born princesses get called Princess (Name).

Especially if he doesn't have a last name, and it's really his grandma's name?

But if his grandmother actually had a last name, wouldn't it be his, too? Since it came through g-mother, father, grandson?

But really, when was the last time someone in line for the British throne actually needed a surname? :)

I could have sworn they took the name Windsor during the war b/c their original surname was German? They got the name Windsor from the castle.

Off to google...

ETA: The family's original name was Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and was changed during WWI.

Edited by crazyfordlr

I could have sworn they took the name Windsor during the war b/c their original surname was German? They got the name Windsor from the castle.

Off to google...

ETA: The family's original name was Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and was changed during WWI.

Yep, and Philip's family line is Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, but he took the name Mountbatten from his mother's side of the family — and that was actually an anglicized version of Battenberg. So the current family name of Mountbatten-Windsor is almost totally made up.

But it certainly sounds better than Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg-Saxe-Coburg-Gotha! :lol:

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

But if his grandmother actually had a last name, wouldn't it be his, too? Since it came through g-mother, father, grandson?

I just meant it's rather silly that somehow naming after one's husband would be important for her, while the name her husband would be giving her came from his grandmother --in other words, his family is not really in the business of having women take their husbands' last names, at least not in every case.

I dont understand all the titles. What exactly is she? A Princess? A Duchess? When does she become what?

Theres the queen, theres no king, but there are princes and more duchesses... so whos technically next in line? What will they become?

I dont understand all the titles. What exactly is she? A Princess? A Duchess? When does she become what?

Theres the queen, theres no king, but there are princes and more duchesses... so whos technically next in line? What will they become?

William is Prince William. His father is Prince Charles heir apparent because Charles is next in line to inherit the throne. William is Duke of Cambridge because the title, Prince of Wales, apparently belongs to the heir apparent. So, Charles holds that title. Therefore, Catherine (Kate) is Duchess of Cambridge. She is a princess by marriage and not by blood, but not to the heir apparent (yet, that is) so the title princess comes after her name and not before. Clear as mud???? I know....crazy to follow. So, Princess Diana had the title before her first name because she married the heir to the throne. Sarah Ferguson, and Sophie had princess tacked on after their first names because they married princes but since their husbands are down the succession line a little, they would not have had princess before their first name. I'm not certain if Sarah Ferguson had to relinquish her "after first name" title upon divorce or not.

When Charles becomes king, William will be heir apparent and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, will become Catherine Princess of Wales and earn the right to be called "Princess Catherine". William will be Prince of Wales.

I did find out today that their official surname is indeed, Mountbatten-Windsor. However, to add to all the muddiness, surnames are not binding on the next generation of kings. So, Charles could choose to change his surname when he inherits the throne and likewise William could too! I think it would be great if William chose, "King William Jones-Smith". :D Then they could have some kids and name them "Henrietta Diana Elizabeth Catherine Jones-Smith" and "Phillip William Henry George Jones-Smith". :biggrinjester:

Oh and then there is Camilla. There was a kerfuffle about what she would be called...apparently, Princess being tacked anywhere on her name was considered uncouth by a lot of people, and so she's either the duchess of something or the countess of something. I am still confused about whether or not she'll get to take the title queen when Charles eventually gets promoted.

Sigh...I hope I got all of that in the right order. Seriously, I think that Oxford must offer some sort of college major in royal titles and rules of succession and then these graduates spend their whole lives trying to keep everyone's names straight!

Faith

And don't forget that Charles (and William, eventually), could take a new first name when he becomes King! And given the history of King Charles, that might not be such a bad idea. ;)

Camilla is Duchess of Cornwall, as Charles also holds the title Duke of Cornwall. I'll also be curious to see what title she'll have when he becomes King. At one time, it was said that she would be the Princess Consort, but since popular opinion seems to be softening toward her/them, maybe she'll be Queen someday, too.

Yep, and Philip's family line is Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, but he took the name Mountbatten from his mother's side of the family — and that was actually an anglicized version of Battenberg. So the current family name of Mountbatten-Windsor is almost totally made up.

But it certainly sounds better than Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg-Saxe-Coburg-Gotha! :lol:

Jackie

They should TOTALLY do that. That would make Prince Charles into:

Charles Philip Arthur George Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg-Saxe-Coburg-Gotha

...Seriously, I think that Oxford must offer some sort of college major in royal titles and rules of succession and then these graduates spend their whole lives trying to keep everyone's names straight!

Faith

:lol:

FWIW, as a former reporter, I can tell you that the headline writers (especially those online) don't care what anyone's real name is, they just care what's recognizable and/or fits in the space allotted and/or sounds, in their opinion, witty.

Very very very few outlets can afford anything resembling a copy desk anymore, and copy editors were the last outpost of media propriety on things like titles. No one else cares.

We're just lucky they don't call her K-Mid or something like that. :)

William is Prince William. His father is Prince Charles heir apparent because Charles is next in line to inherit the throne. William is Duke of Cambridge because the title, Prince of Wales, apparently belongs to the heir apparent. So, Charles holds that title. Therefore, Catherine (Kate) is Duchess of Cambridge. She is a princess by marriage and not by blood, but not to the heir apparent (yet, that is) so the title princess comes after her name and not before. ...

surnames are not binding on the next generation of kings. So, Charles could choose to change his surname when he inherits the throne and likewise William could too!

I'm thinking this is why she's still called Kate Middleton.

FWIW, as a former reporter, I can tell you that the headline writers (especially those online) don't care what anyone's real name is, they just care what's recognizable and/or fits in the space allotted and/or sounds, in their opinion, witty.

Very very very few outlets can afford anything resembling a copy desk anymore, and copy editors were the last outpost of media propriety on things like titles. No one else cares.

hahaha!

and technically isn't Prince William's surname just Windsor since he is in direct succession? I thought Mountbatten-Windsor was for those not in direct succession, or is it M-W b/c he's second in line.

Interesting. Diana always went by Princess Di. I don't remember hearing her being referred to Diana Spencer

I'm not sure that she went by Princess Di so much as that's what the populace liked to call her. The Queen Mum isn't an official title either, but you'd only call someone a Dowager Queen if you didn't like them, I rekon. :p

Does the consort of a royal actually "take his name"?

Well, Princess Michael of Kent's name isn't Michael. :tongue_smilie:

When Charles becomes king, William will be heir apparent and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, will become Catherine Princess of Wales and earn the right to be called "Princess Catherine". William will be Prince of Wales.

Actually, I think she properly becomes Princess William, but the media will call her Princess Kate anyway.

I'm pretty sure they all agreed Camilla would become Princess Consort. Seems stupid myself. If she's married to the King and doing that job, she ought to be called Queen Consort.

I'm not sure that she went by Princess Di so much as that's what the populace liked to call her. The Queen Mum isn't an official title either, but you'd only call someone a Dowager Queen if you didn't like them, I rekon. :p

True, although I don't think Queen Elizabeth II would be the Dowager Queen, anyway...as if I actually know anything, said the American girl.

Well, Princess Michael of Kent's name isn't Michael. :tongue_smilie:

That isn't the same thing as Alice Smith becoming Alice Jones when she marries Fred Jones. :)

Actually, I think she properly becomes Princess William, but the media will call her Princess Kate anyway.

According to this link, her official title is "Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge." Prince William is "His Royal Highness The Duke of Cambridge."

I'm pretty sure they all agreed Camilla would become Princess Consort. Seems stupid myself. If she's married to the King and doing that job, she ought to be called Queen Consort.

And according to this link, she is usually referred to as The Duchess of Cornwall, except in Scotland where she is The Duchess of Rothesay. Her full, formal title is Her Royal Highness The Princess Charles Philip Arthur George, Princess of Wales and Countess of Chester, Duchess of Cornwall, Duchess of Rothesay, Countess of Carrick, Baroness of Renfrew, Lady of the Isles, Princess of Scotland.

What a mouthful!!

ETA: But yes, apparently Princess Consort is a possibility. That whole thing is fraught with awkwardness.

Edited by Ellie

True, although I don't think Queen Elizabeth II would be the Dowager Queen, anyway...as if I actually know anything, said the American girl.

No she won't. She'll die in the job.

That isn't the same thing as Alice Smith becoming Alice Jones when she marries Fred Jones. :)

No, but it used to be the done thing to address mail to Mr and Mrs Fred Jones. Go back further and you properly addressed mail to Mrs Fred Jones. When did Miss Manners drop that from her etiquette guide? :tongue_smilie:

I was talking of the future, when they become the Prince and Princess of Wales.

Yeah, I bet Miss Manners is glad she doesn't have to address mail to her. :tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol::lol:

I actually thought I had read somewhere that they were wanting people to refer to her as Catherine now. But Kate is just so much catchier! (And, I love the name Kate!!)

No, but it used to be the done thing to address mail to Mr and Mrs Fred Jones. Go back further and you properly addressed mail to Mrs Fred Jones. When did Miss Manners drop that from her etiquette guide? :tongue_smilie:

And apparently one was only Mrs Alice Jones is she was a (gasp) divorcee. The current wife would be Mrs Fred. Personally I'm not a fan of that. At all.

:lol:

K-Mid and Willy-P in da Castle!!!!