Menu

Kate Middleton

Teach me oh wise ones. When Charles becomes king and then dies and Camilla outlives him, does she stay Queen or whatever or does it pass down to William upon his death?

Camilla will be Princess Dowager or Dowager Queen if they wangle the title for her. William will inherit the throne. I think she'd be second in precedence to Queen Kate, but I'm not certain.

Rosie

Here are her titles

9 January 1982 – 29 April 2011: Miss Catherine Elizabeth Middleton

29 April 2011 – present: Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge[89]

in Scotland: 29 April 2011 – present: Her Royal Highness The Countess of Strathearn

Catherine's full title and style is Her Royal Highness Princess William,[90] Duchess of Cambridge,[89] Countess of Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus

So, she is a Princess. I think Diana started to be referred to as Princess Diana after she gave birth to William. At that point although she was not born a Princess, she was then related to the future monarch by blood. When Charles and Diana divorced she gave up the HRH part of her title, but was able to stay Princess of Wales as the blood parent to the heir.

I *think* That Kate will be able to be referred to as Princess Catherine once she has a child. Any child as the queen has ruled that their first born child will be monarch, even if it is a girl.

Then she will technically be Catherine, Princess of Wales. Only princesses who are born princesses get called Princess (Name).

Yes, but not until AFTER William has been given the title Prince of Wales. It's not automatic when you're the heir to the throne. It has to be conferred by the reigning monarch, as the Prince of Wales is a "ruler." Wales is a Principality. Charles didn't become Prince of Wales until the 1960's. Before that he was simply HRH Prince Charles.

ETA: The family's original name was Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and was changed during WWI.

Before that there was no surname, they were known by their family house. The many, many, many children and grand-children of George III were of the House of Hanover. No last name. Queen Victoria (also of the House of Hanover as her grandfather was George III), because she was so obsessed with Albert (seriously), decreed that all her non royal descendants would carry the name Saxe-Coburg-Gothe, which is where Albert was from in Germany. Of course then it was changed during WWI, and then QE changed it again. I think it's funny that the monarch can decree that all future generations will [insert whatever here] and then the next monarch can change it anyway.

I'm not sure that she went by Princess Di so much as that's what the populace liked to call her. The Queen Mum isn't an official title either, but you'd only call someone a Dowager Queen if you didn't like them, I rekon. :p

HRH Elizabeth, Dowager Queen was The Queen Mum's official title. Only the wife of a deceased king is called the Dowager Queen. She was known as Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother as well, but she is the only queen who has ever held that title officially.

Well, Princess Michael of Kent's name isn't Michael. :tongue_smilie:

No, but since she was not a princess in her own right. She was a peeress, but only a Baroness, so she had to take his name as part of her official title.

Actually, I think she properly becomes Princess William, but the media will call her Princess Kate anyway.

She would be called Princess William, if he wasn't given the dukedom Cambridge. Since he did though, she's referred to as HRH The Duchess of Cambridge. He is HRH Prince William, Duke of Cambridge. While the title of Prince technically outranks that of a duke in the case of royal dukes, they have to be raised to duke by the sovereign. They are distinguished from other, non-royal dukes, by having HRH in front of their title. This does not apply to the Prince of Wales as by being Prince of Wales he is technically the ruler of a country who has sworn fealty to another ruler, kind of like an overlord.

Oh, and the children of royal dukes are styles Prince or Princess.

No, Princess Diana's title was not Princess Diana. She was just called that in the press and popularly. She was Diana, Princess of Wales.

This. Her official title was HRH Diana, The Princess of Wales. When she was divorced the royal family took away the HRH and she became Diana, Princess of Wales. Note she was not called THE Princess of Wales after the divorce as only the Prince of Wales current wife could be called THE Princess of Wales. BTW, Camilla is technically HRH Camilla, The Princess of Wales, but does not use the title as it is too closely associated with Diana.

Camilla will be Princess Dowager or Dowager Queen if they wangle the title for her. William will inherit the throne. I think she'd be second in precedence to Queen Kate, but I'm not certain.

Rosie

Here are her titles

9 January 1982 – 29 April 2011: Miss Catherine Elizabeth Middleton

29 April 2011 – present: Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge[89]

in Scotland: 29 April 2011 – present: Her Royal Highness The Countess of Strathearn

Catherine's full title and style is Her Royal Highness Princess William,[90] Duchess of Cambridge,[89] Countess of Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus

So, she is a Princess. I think Diana started to be referred to as Princess Diana after she gave birth to William. At that point although she was not born a Princess, she was then related to the future monarch by blood. When Charles and Diana divorced she gave up the HRH part of her title, but was able to stay Princess of Wales as the blood parent to the heir.

I *think* That Kate will be able to be referred to as Princess Catherine once she has a child. Any child as the queen has ruled that their first born child will be monarch, even if it is a girl.

Nope, Diana should never have been called Princess Diana. She was HRH Diana, The Princess of Wales until her divorce, then she lost the HRH and the THE in PoW (see above). I'm pretty sure the whole Princess Diana business was a media thing because us poor commoners could never keep up with the ins and outs of royal names.

And yes, the royal line of succession rules have been changed so that the first born of the heir to the throne, male of female will rule. Very progressive! I wonder how Princess Anne (The Princess Royale) feels about this as she's older than Charles. Of course the change is not retroactive to the current generation.

BTW, I actually took a class in this in college. It was IIRC, something like HIST 215, Royalty. It wasn't just about the British royals though. We had a huge test on titles and styles that nearly killed me. It's been almost 20 years since I took the class though, so my memory may be a bit faulty, but I'm fairly certain most of what I wrote above is correct.

And yes, the royal line of succession rules have been changed so that the first born of the heir to the throne, male of female will rule. Very progressive! I wonder how Princess Anne (The Princess Royale) feels about this as she's older than Charles. Of course the change is not retroactive to the current generation.

Charles is older, he was born in 1948. Anne was born in 1950.

Teach me oh wise ones. When Charles becomes king and then dies and Camilla outlives him, does she stay Queen or whatever or does it pass down to William upon his death?

No, she doesn't get to rule on her own. She'd just be the wife of the king, not a ruling monarch like Queen Elizabeth II, or like Ferdinand and Isabella or something.

And don't forget that Charles (and William, eventually), could take a new first name when he becomes King! And given the history of King Charles, that might not be such a bad idea. ;)

Camilla is Duchess of Cornwall, as Charles also holds the title Duke of Cornwall. I'll also be curious to see what title she'll have when he becomes King. At one time, it was said that she would be the Princess Consort, but since popular opinion seems to be softening toward her/them, maybe she'll be Queen someday, too.

Some say that she will become the Queen Consort when Charles ascends to the throne, but somehow I doubt that she will ever become Queen. For one, even though public sentiment has softened towards her, her relationship with Prince Charles is steeped in scandal and controversy. And she is also not of royal lineage, was raised catholic and has children by another man and raised those sons as catholic.

Looking at previous titles given to spouses of queens in British history makes me think Camilla would not be given the title of Queen as well. For instance, Prince Phillip is of royal blood and he was not given the title of King or King Consort, but rather the title of Prince. And the same can be said of Prince Albert who was of royal blood yet held the title of Prince and then later, Prince Consort to Queen Victoria.

BTW, the addition of Consort added to a title indicates that they have a supporting role in matters rather than simply carrying their title. Although Camila does travel with Prince Charles and take part in royal events, she will doubtfully be involved with matters of State. My guess is that she'll just have the title of Princess Camilla. Just my guess.

Lucinda

And apparently one was only Mrs Alice Jones is she was a (gasp) divorcee. The current wife would be Mrs Fred. Personally I'm not a fan of that. At all.

Not if you ask Miss Manners (Judith Martin). She says it isn't ever correct for a woman to be Mrs. Alice Jones. "Mrs." always takes a man's name, IYKWIM. She can be Ms. Alice Jones (even if she's married, BTW); she can be Mrs. Smith [her maiden name] Jones; and really, she can still be Mrs. Fred Jones, although that could get dicey, lol. But not ever Mrs. Alice Jones.

Looking at previous titles given to spouses of queens in British history makes me think Camilla would not be given the title of Queen as well. For instance, Prince Phillip is of royal blood and he was not given the title of King or King Consort, but rather the title of Prince. And the same can be said of Prince Albert who was of royal blood yet held the title of Prince and then later, Prince Consort to Queen Victoria.

But I thought the Queen's husband wasn't King bc then he'd have equal or more power / status than her.

Not if you ask Miss Manners (Judith Martin). She says it isn't ever correct for a woman to be Mrs. Alice Jones. "Mrs." always takes a man's name, IYKWIM. She can be Ms. Alice Jones (even if she's married, BTW); she can be Mrs. Smith [her maiden name] Jones; and really, she can still be Mrs. Fred Jones, although that could get dicey, lol. But not ever Mrs. Alice Jones.

I am sorry to say that I don't know where my copy of Emily Post is, but I am almost certain that when Alice Jones nee Smith is married to Fred Jones she may be called Mrs Fred Jones, but if they divorce and she keeps his name, she is called Mrs Alice Jones. Fred's next wife would be the Mrs Fred. There wouldn't be two Mrs Fred Jones in a monogamous society.

I will try to find out more!

Eta: Here is from the website

http://www.emilypost.com/communication-and-technology/social-names-and-titles/292-the-qmrsq-question

The "Mrs." Question

Societal changes to the use of "Mrs."

Tradition held that a married woman should use the title Mrs. only in conjunction with her husband's name, not her own--"Mrs. Arthur Reynolds" rather than "Mrs. Susan Reynolds." The latter was acceptable only in the event of divorce. But societal changes gradually made this practice seem a relic from another time. Today it is acceptable for both married and divorced women to be referred to by their first names after the title Mrs.--as in "Mrs. Mary McGowan."

A married woman can choose to be addressed as either "Mrs. Mary McGowan" or "Mrs. John McGowan." In the case of a divorce woman, Mrs. [or Ms.] is correct only if she has retained her former husband's last name and she uses her first name, not his. (Many women retain their married name so that the surname won't differ from their children's.) Otherwise, she is referred to as Ms. or Miss.

And here is where Miss Manners addresses polyamory

http://polyinthemedia.blogspot.com/2011/05/miss-manners-on-poly-invitation.html

Edited by stripe

But I thought the Queen's husband wasn't King bc then he'd have equal or more power / status than her.

That was my understanding, as well. The title King has an implied higher rank over Queen, whether or not it actually should. Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, was known as Queen Elizabeth when her husband sat on the throne; his mother was known as Queen Mary when her husband sat on the throne. So, I would assume that one day we'll see Queen Catherine, but only because of the aforementioned scandal we may not see Queen Camilla.

That was my understanding, as well. The title King has an implied higher rank over Queen, whether or not it actually should. Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, was known as Queen Elizabeth when her husband sat on the throne; his mother was known as Queen Mary when her husband sat on the throne. So, I would assume that one day we'll see Queen Catherine, but only because of the aforementioned scandal we may not see Queen Camilla.

The spouse of a queen in her own right does not become king. A king outranks a queen, therefore he would hold the power, not her. The wife of a king does become queen. Mary I wanted to have her husband Philip of Spain, given the title of king, but the English people put up a huge hue and cry. They would have probably removed her from the throne. They were not fond of the Spanish and especially Philip, who also tried to marry her sister, Elizabeth I after Mary died. Classy fellow.

Camilla will technically be queen (just like she is technically the Princess of Wales), but she and Charles may elect that she not use the title. If she does have a coronation, she will be queen. They may elect that she not have a coronation though. Queens who are the spouses of kings generally get coronated at the same ceremony as the king (see Elizabeth's parent), but they could elect for her not to have the crown placed on her head as well. She would still technically be queen, but she would not be coronated, which doesn't really matter.