Menu

2 yo boy crying when urinating

Yesterday, my 2 yo son started crying adn pulling on his diaper right before bed. I chalked it up to a long, hot day at a bbq and went ahead and got him ready for bed. This morning, his diaper was pretty dry, and every time he goes to pee, he starts to cry. I called his pediatrician, but she didn't sound concerned about a uti because he is a boy and doesnt' have a fever. She said if I want I can bring him in and they would put a plastic bag on him and try to catch a sample. We are leaving to go out of town in the morning for the weekend. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? His dr. didn't sound very concerned, just said to push water and watch for a fever, but that toddler boys don't usually get the infection.

Thanks

ETA: Update and question in post #34

Edited by saraha

Um, if he's crying when he pees, then *something's* wrong.

Your pediatrician doesn't sound so great, IMO.

All I wonder is if you're sure it's the peeing that's making him cry? If you're pretty sure, then I'd take him in.

And then I'd find and new pedi.

JMHO.

:iagree:

Fever schmever. He needs to have his urine tested. Put the bag on and give juice or lots of water so hopefully it won't take too long to pee.

Toddler boys don't usually get a UTI, which is why if they do get a UTI, it's fairly standard to then refer to the pediatric urologist for an evaluation.

Um, if he's crying when he pees, then *something's* wrong.

Your pediatrician doesn't sound so great, IMO.

All I wonder is if you're sure it's the peeing that's making him cry? If you're pretty sure, then I'd take him in.

And then I'd find and new pedi.

JMHO.

Is there any redness?

Just because there is no fever does not mean there is no infection. I would take him in. In the meantime have him drink tons of fluid. Sometimes if urine is concentrated it burns.

I had a bladder infection and no fever.

my brother had a bladder infection as a kid.

even if it's rare doesn't mean it's impossible.

sounds like a dumb dr. I'd go somewhere else, but I'd get him in immediately. I know of a 5 yr old right now in the hospital with blocked kidneys. He's very sick.

don't ignore it, please.

My toddler ds did this once. He cried when he peed and told me it hurt. I took him to the Dr. I knew they would want a urine sample so I got one before going in. I simply got a new plastic ziplock sandwich bag, stood ds in the tub with a couple inches of water (to get him to pee), and let him pee into the bag. The Dr. was pleasantly surprised that I had already collected the urine.

He didn't have a UTI, btw. He had an irritation or scratch right inside his, um, hole where the pee comes out. Turns out he either scratched or irritated the skin by doing what all boys do when it comes to that part of their body. :lol: Dr. said to put him in a baking soda sitz bath and dap on neosporin if I wanted. He was all better by the next day.

My toddler ds did this once. He cried when he peed and told me it hurt. I took him to the Dr. I knew they would want a urine sample so I got one before going in. I simply got a new plastic ziplock sandwich bag, stood ds in the tub with a couple inches of water (to get him to pee), and let him pee into the bag. The Dr. was pleasantly surprised that I had already collected the urine.

He didn't have a UTI, btw. He had an irritation or scratch right inside his, um, hole where the pee comes out. Turns out he either scratched or irritated the skin by doing what all boys do when it comes to that part of their body. :lol: Dr. said to put him in a baking soda sitz bath and dap on neosporin if I wanted. He was all better by the next day.

Same situation here recently with ds(2). He was in great pain, screamed when peeing etc. Dr said it's common in boys of this age, esp with unsharpened pencils.

I put on tons of neosporin, and he too was better by the next day.

HTH--just another possibility. Poor sweet baby!

Fever schmever. He needs to have his urine tested. Put the bag on and give juice or lots of water so hopefully it won't take too long to pee.

Toddler boys don't usually get a UTI, which is why if they do get a UTI, it's fairly standard to then refer to the pediatric urologist for an evaluation.

This. My youngest had his first UTI at a few days old and had a lot of tests done. They thought he had urinary reflux, but test said no. He has had 2 more since then. He did not run a fever with the last one, just pain when urinating.

Edited by Quiver0f10

My daughters (and I know girls are different than boys) get frequent "irritations" in sensitive areas. They are especially prone if that area gets hot (for example, if you were in a diaper all day outside at a bbq :D ).

They always settle down with baking soda baths and motrin (or whatever) for comfort. I also do neosporin in the area that hurts.

If you want to take him in, (and your doctor is not too far) ask if you can go by and pick up a few bags to do the urine sample yourself (which will save you lots of time).

If you weren't going out of town, I'd tell you to wait a few hours and see if the bath/pain relief did the trick.

Also, doctor's offices are busy today because many were closed yesterday. My daughter's psychiatrist told me today that I need to take my daughter in to her primary pediatrician for a check up as she has a low grade fever and they need to rule things out. The front desk said that we couldn't have an appointment and the nurse is reluctant to schedule one. (Even though I reminded her that I'm coming in at the request of the psychiatrist and this is fairly urgent). They're stressed and trying to keep things to a minimum. Be prepared to push and definitely try to get bags before going in to wait.

Good luck :)

I had a similar thing happen to my son. They did check for uti (negative) but said it's uncommon. What happened in his case was basically being dehydrated. When he drank a ton and was encouraged to pee frequently, it got better. The urine was very concentrated and irritating. Doctor said many boys get through irritation right at the point of exit.

Hope he feels better soon.

Push the fluids. Some people get UTI-like burning when dehydrated. It could also be a tear or scratch in a sensitive area. Neosporin won't hurt if there is nothing there, but help a lot if there it. It could be a diaper rash type thing since he was outside and hot most of yesterday.

Oh, FTR, I've never had a fever when I've had either a UTI or a kidney infection.

So I called them back and insisted that he comes in. Now he is crying when he has to pee and straining a lot, not sure if it is trying to do which, so I am glad I called them back. I also talked to husband about his diapers (we were at a bbq yest. and husband was off day before, and we are always busy when he is off) and decided that between both of us changing his diapers, he hasn't had a bm since Sun, maybe Mon. So I am going to mention that too.

Thanks everyone for their advice. I did put him in a bath, but he just cried and tried to hold it. He did dribble some, and cried about that too. I have been trying to get him to drink, gave up on water and now trying to get him to drink anything, but he knows I want him too, so he won't. I think he is mad at me because he thinks I won't fix his owie.

So I called them back and insisted that he comes in. Now he is crying when he has to pee and straining a lot, not sure if it is trying to do which, so I am glad I called them back. I also talked to husband about his diapers (we were at a bbq yest. and husband was off day before, and we are always busy when he is off) and decided that between both of us changing his diapers, he hasn't had a bm since Sun, maybe Mon. So I am going to mention that too.

Thanks everyone for their advice. I did put him in a bath, but he just cried and tried to hold it. He did dribble some, and cried about that too. I have been trying to get him to drink, gave up on water and now trying to get him to drink anything, but he knows I want him too, so he won't. I think he is mad at me because he thinks I won't fix his owie.

Oh, how sad. :crying:

What about icies or popsicles. He won't realize that they are liquids!

ETA: play it cool, like you don't want him to have it. ;)

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

This has been the longest day. I have been so blessed to have never had one of my kids be in REAL pain before, but now I have one who doesn't understand why mommmy won't fix it. And the appt. sounds like it will be awful, I can't imagine him letting someone tape anything down there.

We don't do bubble baths here, I have 4 daughters older than him, so we have never done them for that reason.

He is sleeping now, hopefully I can get him to drink something before we go to the doctor so he doesn't have to wear the bag long. How can she tell if there is a scratch or something else inside the little opening (other scenario someone suggested)?

Make sure he drinks a ton, because they will need a urine sample. They can cath him if they have to, but that's no darn fun (although the nurses can do it quickly...he'll have to be restrained). So get him to drink as much as you can...it doesn't matter what the fluid is, just so long as he drinks. Also, it needs to be a clean sample, as much as possible, so if he'll let you swab him with alcohol or even peroxide before he pees, that will help, too. Often bacteria in the urine comes from the exterior and contaminates the sample, giving you a false result.

On Dr Oz yesterday he said that by the time there's a fever the infection is in the kidneys and is in danger of becoming sepsis. I once had what a doctor called "the worst kidney infection" he'd ever seen, but didn't have a fever. He said to call him the minute I got chills, because if I got a fever he wanted me in the hospital.

I think you should get a new pediatrician.

A little neosporin should help if it's a tiny cut. Otherwise, push fluids. Make it a slushie if necessary, or 10 popsicles, anything he will swallow. Whether it's over concentrated from dehydration or an infection, pushing fluids will help.

Poor little guy!

I pray the dr does a thorough examination and gets this figured out asap.

:grouphug:

This may sound a little out there, but is it possible your little one is holding back because he wants to eliminate in a potty/toilet?

I do agree with having him seen by a doctor. Just wanted to throw that out there. Some little boys are ready to train that young but may not have the words to tell you.

This has been the longest day. I have been so blessed to have never had one of my kids be in REAL pain before, but now I have one who doesn't understand why mommmy won't fix it. And the appt. sounds like it will be awful, I can't imagine him letting someone tape anything down there.

If you have him drink a lot, you might be able to get him to go -- even a little? I was able to get my toddler to pee in a toilet catch device instead of a catheter or taped bag. They used the bag when they wanted a sample on my newborn boy once.

So went to the doctor and they got the bag on him for a sample. He didn't sleep long because he woke up when he peed, but he was so tired by the time we got to the doctor, he didn't care what they did. He screamed all the way through the trip, so the doctor definitely knew he was in pain. Not a uti, injury, or scratch, turns out he is severly constipated and the way the mass was sitting, it was messing with the muscles around the bladder and that is what she thought was causing it. So he is on two doses of miralax a day, plus we need to do an enema tonight and tomorrow. She was able to manipulate the mass around and he is MUCH more comfortable this evening.

So does anyone have any tips to make an enema go easier? I am waiting for my husband to get home to help me before I attempt it.

We've had to do enemas with my disabled dd. For her it's really no big deal, and if he's still in a diaper I would predict he'll handle it fine also. Have him lie in bed on one side, follow the directions, then he can just lie in bed for awhile. My dd usually has a bm within 10-15 minutes. Then it's just a diaper change and he'll feel so much better.

We use the miralax regularly too. Just a teaspoon a day is enough to keep her regular.

So went to the doctor and they got the bag on him for a sample. He didn't sleep long because he woke up when he peed, but he was so tired by the time we got to the doctor, he didn't care what they did. He screamed all the way through the trip, so the doctor definitely knew he was in pain. Not a uti, injury, or scratch, turns out he is severly constipated and the way the mass was sitting, it was messing with the muscles around the bladder and that is what she thought was causing it. So he is on two doses of miralax a day, plus we need to do an enema tonight and tomorrow. She was able to manipulate the mass around and he is MUCH more comfortable this evening.

So does anyone have any tips to make an enema go easier? I am waiting for my husband to get home to help me before I attempt it.

I was going to post asking if he was constipated. Constipation is what caused my dd UTI. She never cried, but had no symptoms other than a temp of 103. She was always constipated and it pressed against her bladder and kept a pool of urine up in the top, or something like that.

I, on the other hand, had ONE UTI in my life, never had a fever with it, but had severe pain and blood. It looked like it was my time. But no fever.

I'm glad your little guy doesn't have a UTI. They are horrible! After our experience, we started giving DD about 2 oz of prune juice every night with her bedtime bottle. Watch the fiber content though. One time we bought a 'store brand' juice. We discovered that the fiber content was HALF. And we could tell....

We use Miralax daily for our dd11, who has Dysmotility. It has no taste so it should be easy for him to take. It works great!! When she gets really stopped up, she has to have it twice a day. It does draw fluid into the bowels so you probably want to make sure he drinks plenty.

I hope he feels better soon. Constipation is no fun. Glad you got answers. :)