Menu

Anyone want to waste some time and estimate the value of my csa veggie bin?

In my efforts to economize, I'm trying to determine if I should continue my csa veggie bin subscription. I love getting the bin every week, but haven't actually priced what the produce would cost from the store. What I'm getting is organically grown, but since I'm not completely opposed to conventional farming methods, I'd like to leave that out of the equation. If I bought these items from the grocery or other store, how much do you estimate that it would total?

Here's what was in my bin this week:

4 lbs. large peaches

4 lbs. large nectarines

1 lb. purple eggplant

2 1/2 lb. cantaloupe

1 lb. beets

1 3/4 lb. young summer squash

2 medium cucumbers

2 medium green bell peppers

1 basket strawberries

3 lbs. small red potatoes

1 1/2 lbs. ripe tomatoes

large green leafy lettuce

small bunch (appx. 8) young radishes

small bunch of chives

In my efforts to economize, I'm trying to determine if I should continue my csa veggie bin subscription. I love getting the bin every week, but haven't actually priced what the produce would cost from the store. What I'm getting is organically grown, but since I'm not completely opposed to conventional farming methods, I'd like to leave that out of the equation. If I bought these items from the grocery or other store, how much do you estimate that it would total?

4 lbs. large peaches

4 lbs. large nectarines

1 lb. purple eggplant

2 1/2 lb. cantaloupe

1 lb. beets

2 medium cucumbers

1 basket strawberries

1 1/2 lbs. ripe tomatoes

small bunch of chives

I am curious as well. There is also a question of taste. Does the produce TASTE better?

You realize that you would need replies from people in California or at least places with similar prices to get a true idea, right?

Actually, I'm just curious what other people would pay for that, wherever they live. Along with my decision to keep or drop, I'm interested in the variations of what people spend in their location.

Not estimating...when I first started supporting our local CSA, I tried to figure out if I was getting my money's worth until my husband pointed out that the point of a CSA is not to save money.

A CSA is to share the bounty or the burden, to buy local, and to minimize your impact on the earth.

If you're thought is in it to save money, you'll lose because if the farmer's have a bad year, then you'll be bitter and angry at them. If they have a good year, then you'll think you're getting a good deal and expect it next time.

I figure about $36 if I found the items on sale, closer to $50 if not. I chose this year to invest in some raised beds and to grow my own leaf lettuce, spinach, chard, bok choy etc. since our CSA share was about $22 a week last year (we split an order with a single lady - the entire share was $34/week) and a lot of it I did not care for (zucchini, radishes, cukes). I decided that since I could get decent local green beans and broccoli at the farmer's market I'd buy that, and grow the salad greens I chomp daily and the chard and bok choy the farmer's market does NOT grow.

I already have several large bags of blanched chard in the deep freeze, and we are eating a lot each week. I just reseeded some spinach and lettuce, too.

I will still buy some stuff from the CSA, too - plus CollegeMan works for them over the summer as a "field hand" (his words).

Often a CSA here does not mean you are getting all local produce. It sometimes sits out in the sun too long and does not look as fresh when I get it. I don't know if you are looking for what I would pay at a grocer or if I tried to find those things from a farm.

I bought organic strawberries at costo 3# for 3.99, in season at the local best small grocer maybe $5

peaches 3.99/lb

nectarines 2.99/lb

bell pepper 1.79 each

ripe tomatoes 1.99 lb

bundle of new potatoes $4

Just bought this week. All organic. Not sure about the rest right now.

A CSA is to share the bounty or the burden, to buy local, and to minimize your impact on the earth.

If you're thought is in it to save money, you'll lose because if the farmer's have a bad year, then you'll be bitter and angry at them. If they have a good year, then you'll think you're getting a good deal and expect it next time.

Actually, we *are* a farm family, and are close to losing everything.

While I appreciate the benefits of the CSA, my purpose at this point in time is not to minimize my impact on the earth, but to feed my family economically and pray to survive until things either turn around, or we go bankrupt. At this time, bankruptcy is exceedingly more likely.

Yep, the farmers are having a bad year, and yep, I'm more than a little bitter, and slightly angry about the situation. My dh, with his farming heritage and almost 50 years of personal experience, can't make agriculture work to support our family anymore.

4 lbs. large peaches - $4

4 lbs. large nectarines - $4

1 lb. purple eggplant - $2

2 1/2 lb. cantaloupe - $5

1 lb. beets - $2

1 3/4 lb. young summer squash - $3

2 medium cucumbers - $1

2 medium green bell peppers - $3

1 basket strawberries - $2

3 lbs. small red potatoes - $5

1 1/2 lbs. ripe tomatoes - $3

large green leafy lettuce - $2

small bunch (appx. 8) young radishes - $1

small bunch of chives - $1

These are the prices I think I could get *today* here in Michigan, but I'd probably have to go to two stores to get the best prices. (That's just how it is where I live.) So my total would be $37 if I added correctly. But, I had to totally guess on the sqaush, eggplant, and beets, since I don't ever buy those. :tongue_smilie:

We're part of an organic co-op that buys the majority from local farms. I would drop it in an instant if we had to tighten our budgets. It's nice to have a big bin of veggies, it makes us try new things and eat more veggies. I think the prices are reasonable, but I could get them for cheaper buying conventional produce.

4 lbs. large peaches ($8.00)

4 lbs. large nectarines ($8.00)

1 lb. purple eggplant ($2.50)

2 1/2 lb. cantaloupe ($4.00)

1 lb. beets ($2.00)

1 3/4 lb. young summer squash($3.00)

2 medium cucumbers ($2.00)

2 medium green bell peppers ($2.00)

1 basket strawberries ($1.50)

3 lbs. small red potatoes ($4.50)

1 1/2 lbs. ripe tomatoes ($2.00)

large green leafy lettuce ($2.00)

small bunch (appx. 8) young radishes ($2.00)

small bunch of chives)$1.50)

Total= $45.00

I think that's pretty close :) I buy all organic, so I'm skewed a bit. I tried to think about what I see but don't buy :)

BTW, so sorry :( Small farmers get the short end of the stick :(

Thank you so much.

In the past, we wouldn't have been considered a small farm--we milk around 1300 cows. Nowadays though, that's *small*, and no longer really viable, I guess. Dh has 6 brothers, all dairy farmers in different locations in the west. Some of them are smaller & organic producers, and I believe they are in the same straits. I don't think most of them expect to survive the year.

We are not organic, but have tried to strike what we consider to be an ethical balance in methods, using no hormones to increase production, staying with natural breeding methods, and treating the animals as humanely as possible within our capabilities.

Actually, we *are* a farm family, and are close to losing everything.

While I appreciate the benefits of the CSA, my purpose at this point in time is not to minimize my impact on the earth, but to feed my family economically and pray to survive until things either turn around, or we go bankrupt. At this time, bankruptcy is exceedingly more likely.

Yep, the farmers are having a bad year, and yep, I'm more than a little bitter, and slightly angry about the situation. My dh, with his farming heritage and almost 50 years of personal experience, can't make agriculture work to support our family anymore.

:grouphug::grouphug:

This is exactly why we support our CSA and try and explain to people the importance of being part of one. I think those that join CSA's to be economical are missing the point - your situation is different.

For us, CSA is not cheaper than going to the store. We buy local eggs, local milk products and local produce, but we pay more and sacrifice other things to help support the kind of community we want our children to grow up in.

I'm guessing about $45, but I'm not up on current Calif pricing - and that's based on farmers market pricing - not the food stores which would probably be a bit higher. What I'd do, is take the list and go into a nearby food store and get their prices so you can do a realistic comparison. Would love to know what you are paying for it. :001_smile:

ETA: With the way prices have gone up and being all organic - it might be as much as $65 or so.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

4 lbs. large peaches $8

4 lbs. large nectarines $8

1 lb. purple eggplant $2

2 1/2 lb. cantaloupe $3

1 lb. beets $1

1 3/4 lb. young summer squash $3.50

2 medium cucumbers $2

2 medium green bell peppers $1.50

1 basket strawberries $2.50

3 lbs. small red potatoes $5

1 1/2 lbs. ripe tomatoes $1.50

large green leafy lettuce $1

small bunch (appx. 8) young radishes $.75

small bunch of chives $.75

So just over $40 with the most recent sale prices.

4 lbs. large peaches

4 lbs. large nectarines

1 lb. purple eggplant

2 1/2 lb. cantaloupe

1 lb. beets

2 medium cucumbers

1 basket strawberries

1 1/2 lbs. ripe tomatoes

small bunch of chives

I don't know what it would be to buy that because I don't really buy produce much, but if I were selling that at a Farmer's Market, I would want at least $75 minimum for all of that. The fruit, especially, is not cheap, and you got a lot of fruit in that bin!

This is what it would work out to for me, many of the prices are sale prices (actually, pretty much everything but the chives and eggplant is on sale around here this week):

4 lbs. large peaches $4.00

4 lbs. large nectarines $4.00

1 lb. purple eggplant $4.00

2 1/2 lb. cantaloupe $1.75

1 lb. beets $1.50

1 3/4 lb. young summer squash $1.75

2 medium cucumbers $1.00

2 medium green bell peppers $1.00

1 basket strawberries $2.50 - assuming it is a one pound basket

3 lbs. small red potatoes $2.50

1 1/2 lbs. ripe tomatoes $1.35

large green leafy lettuce $1.79

small bunch (appx. 8) young radishes $1.00

small bunch of chives $2.50

So, $30-35 if I managed to get it all on sale (at multiple locations or taking advantage of Walmarts price match). Probably closer to $45 or $50 if I just had to run into the store that is closest to my house (which is in the middle with its prices. Generally not as cheap as Walmart, but most definitely not the most expensive grocery store in town.)

If I selected organic stuff I'd probably be spending close to $70... if I could even find organic versions of everything on that list.

Edited by theAmbitiousHousewife

$44 lbs. large peaches

$6-84 lbs. large nectarines

1 lb. purple eggplant

2 1/2 lb. cantaloupe

1 lb. beets

$1-21 3/4 lb. young summer squash

$12 medium cucumbers

$22 medium green bell peppers

$3-41 basket strawberries

$2-43 lbs. small red potatoes

$2-41 1/2 lbs. ripe tomatoes

$2large green leafy lettuce

75 centssmall bunch (appx. 8) young radishes

$1.50small bunch of chives

These are.based on prices I have purchased the Items for in the last 2-3 weeks. Produce is really cheap at Aldi. Walmart is where we shop most often. If we go to target or Crest, it is a little pricier. We have a large garden that is starting to yeild enough to reduce our produce costs.

What a great sounding box! Here it would likely be 40-60 depending on the ratio of organic to not organic. I'm sorry you're having a rough year. :grouphug:

We're getting an organic CSA this year and it's so fun. I made beet brownies this morning!

Would love to know what you are paying for it. :001_smile:

$36.80 per week, and it is generally all *beautiful* produce. :001_smile:

I don't really think I could do better than that, even if I found everything on sale at the thriftiest grocery store, even buying conventionally farmed produce.

Here's a picture of one of our bins in the past. I confess that I had a harder time with the winter/spring veggies because I just don't love turnips/rutabagas or chard (Though I promise, I tried!).

post-517-13535087016548_thumb.jpg

Since you said convention prices as well- I'll give that for our area the Midwest, pricing from Aldi's when available and Krogers- local stores here.

4 lbs. large peaches $3.50

4 lbs. large nectarines$3.50

1 lb. purple eggplant$3.50

2 1/2 lb. cantaloupe $1.69

1 lb. beets $3.60

1 3/4 lb. young summer squash $$3.40

2 medium cucumbers $1

2 medium green bell peppers $1.29

1 basket strawberries 99c

3 lbs. small red potatoes $1.69

1 1/2 lbs. ripe tomatoes $2.50

large green leafy lettuce $1.29

small bunch (appx. 8) young radishes $1.50

small bunch of chives$3

$32.45- $33.50 with tax

Sounds like you are getting a great deal to me!

I couldn't get all that non-organic for the price you are paying. Peaches and nectarines (non-organic) are 1.99 per pound on sale.

Non-organic but locally grown strawberries were recently $5 per quart (they were delicious though--nothing like the ones from CA we generally get in the stores).

Organic zucchini is 2.79 per pound.

Red potatoes would be 1.59 per pound.

Seems like a great deal to me!

i am so sorry to hear about the farming. it is unfortunately a familiar story.

that sounds like an abundant harvest organics box, which is what we get. the last time i priced it out, non organic was about 25% more, organic about 40% more. but that doesn't factor in the gas to go and get all of those things. with the csa, we just drive and pick it up.

it also means we plan meals around the veggies, not around meat, so it is cheaper for us. if you are butchering your own meat, that would be different. if we were really crunched for money, we would rely more on our garden, but in the high desert, that's tough. if a few dollars a week is going to make a difference, i'd switch to planning meals around grocery store sales.... but it would be a hard switch as we've become accustomed to the taste of "real" food, which is really wonderful, and are all much healthier as a result, too.

do you make cheese? would that help?

:grouphug::grouphug:

ann

$36.80 per week, and it is generally all *beautiful* produce. :001_smile:

I don't really think I could do better than that, even if I found everything on sale at the thriftiest grocery store, even buying conventionally farmed produce.

Here's a picture of one of our bins in the past. I confess that I had a harder time with the winter/spring veggies because I just don't love turnips/rutabagas or chard (Though I promise, I tried!).

That is truly amazing!!! Especially for California ... and especially for organic!!!

4 lbs. large peaches $10 - $20

4 lbs. large nectarines $8 - $16

1 lb. purple eggplant $4 - $8

2 1/2 lb. cantaloupe $3.50 - $8

1 lb. beets $2.50 - $6

1 3/4 lb. young summer squash $4.50 - $9.50

2 medium cucumbers $4.60 - $9.00

2 medium green bell peppers $2.00 - $5.00

1 basket strawberries - 1 "punnet" $6.00 $10.99

3 lbs. small red potatoes $3.00 - $7.50

1 1/2 lbs. ripe tomatoes $6.00 - $11.00

large green leafy lettuce $3.80 - $5.00

small bunch (appx. 8) young radishes $2.00 - $4.50

small bunch of chives$3.00 - $6.50

1st Price is supermarket. Sub par quality (sometimes I will get home and find it was rotting from the inside out), they love (in our area at least) to fill the supermarket up with stuff thats about to go off, and is covered in chemicals. $62.90

2nd Price is equivalent to Farmer's Market or Organic (both about the same cost) (Organic anywhere but direct from grower, still is wizened, old and probably covered with fruit flies) $126.99

We don't really have specials here :( And organic is hard to get. I'd actually just settle for "Edible" right now.

We live in Semi-Country Australia. And supposedly just above a town thats known for fruit (prrrppppphhhh, where?)

I'd love a basket like that for that price......hold on I'm coming :auto:

Might take me a while though :tongue_smilie: :lol:

1st Price is supermarket. Sub par quality (sometimes I will get home and find it was rotting from the inside out), they love (in our area at least) to fill the supermarket up with stuff thats about to go off, and is covered in chemicals. $62.90

2nd Price is equivalent to Farmer's Market or Organic (both about the same cost) (Organic anywhere but direct from grower, still is wizened, old and probably covered with fruit flies) $126.99

We don't really have specials here :( And organic is hard to get. I'd actually just settle for "Edible" right now.

We live in Semi-Country Australia. And supposedly just above a town thats known for fruit (prrrppppphhhh, where?)

I'd love a basket like that for that price......hold on I'm coming :auto:

Might take me a while though :tongue_smilie: :lol:

:D

I agree with the expensive prices here in Australia. I am in a rural area. We mostly grow our own it is the only way we could afford to have 5 plus veggies a day.

I couldn't sleep and was really bored so I priced it exactly. My local store lists all their prices on-line (and those are the same prices as in store).

total: $74.76

4 lbs. large peaches $17.96

4 lbs. large nectarines $15.96

1 lb. purple eggplant $3.92 (used average price for average size)

2 1/2 lb. cantaloupe $3.49 (for one not sold by weight)

1 lb. beets $3.69

1 3/4 lb. young summer squash $3.50

2 medium cucumbers $4.00

2 medium green bell peppers $3.00 (used average)

1 basket strawberries $3.99

3 lbs. small red potatoes $4.20

1 1/2 lbs. ripe tomatoes $5.50

large green leafy lettuce $3.55

small bunch (appx. 8) young radishes $1.00 (not available organic)

small bunch of chives

$1.00 (not organic)

Wow, it is just awesome that your grocery has prices online!

That would be a dream thing for me.