Menu

Summer Reading Program RANT

My daughter is a really excellent, fast reader. She reads, way above grade level, and she reads all the time. Some kids struggle with reading, but my daughter struggles with other things. I was the same way as a kid, I STRUGGLED with math, but no one read better than I did.

So, last week we went and signed up for the summer reading program at the library. I find it silly for us specifically (like challenging me to a summer cookie eating contest :lol:), but she really wants the free book and t-shirt. They told her she had to read 10, 100 page books. And that 200 page books counted as 2. My daughter is also very goal oriented, and she finished the 1000 pages in 2 days. (It was crappy out and we had nothing going on!). I made her wait a week to go back in, and then today we went to get her book and t-shirt.

Instead of saying, "Oh, you finished." or "Way to go!" The librarian told her that if she finished that quickly, then obviously it wasn't challenging enough and she needs to read more. I am thinking she was covering for the fact that the t-shirts aren't in yet, but still it REALLY rubbed me the wrong way. I didn't march in there and say "Oh, my WONDERFUL CHILD IS DONE!". I let my daughter handle it, and when she was asked she just simply said, "I finished 10 books." And the librarian looked at the list as if she didn't really believe her either. She went over her list and was like, "Oh, well that book was 200 pages....oh, well...." I mean, the rules CLEARLY STATED 100 pages = 1 book. They sat down and explained them to us last week. She is 8, and she read regular chapter books. And, who cares anyway?

I know a lot of kids who struggle with reading, but I also know a lot who don't and who could get this done in a few days. It just irks me that they set up the program a certain way, MY DAUGHTER FOLLOWED THE RULES, and now they are deciding it wasn't "hard enough" for her. If they had said, "really good readers have to read 20 books" fine. I would have made her do that. If I had just waited a couple of weeks to go in, then we wouldn't have an issue. The truth is, in the past I have "waited" and then they don't have the right t-shirt size when we get in there. Also, we go to the library 6 million times during the school year and I want to avoid it during the summer as much as I can.

I know there are bigger problems in the world, but this just annoyed me, probably more than it should have!

:lol:

How rude! FWIW I was the same kind of reader as your daughter. Voracious is a good term. Because of situations like this, our library dropped the number of pages criteria and instead had the children set goals of reading at least an hour each day. But even with that it is determined by the child and the parent - not the library. Once they reach the goal then they can enter a drawing for prizes. The prizes range from free fast food to iPods. And the T-shirt is available for sale.

You could've also said "she WILL be reading more. we've met this goal you set and now we're setting other goals for her summer reading."

Our library does a gameboard style thing and each spot is "one book, 50 pages or 20 minutes." My kids bang thru those. I've stopped using the one at the city library because the prizes are tiny stuffed animals or rubber ducks (keychain size) and you get about 4 over the course of the gameboard. The county library does similar "along the way" prizes, but you get a BOOK at the end. Same with Barnes and Noble - a book at the end (but for a bookseller, their choices are pretty limited; the county library's list is MUCH larger).

:grouphug:

I get it. DS9 finished Eragon the week our library's program started and was told by one of the librarians it could count. The day he showed up for the check in/program the head librarian told him it didn't because it had to be started after the program started and marked it off his list. :glare: In the grand scheme it isn't a big deal, but since then DS has picked the easiest book that qualifies just so he can meet the goal. I would much rather him take a week or two and tackle something meatier than race to the finish line with junk b/c he just wants a prize.

I really have a love-hate relationship with the summer reading program. :glare:

I will now take a :chillpill: and go find something to clean, I shouldn't have to look far! :tongue_smilie:

Our summer reading program is solely based on time spent reading. One based on the number of books would never work here because Sweet-pea is a voracious reader and Boo-Boo, while she loves reading, isn't quite as passionate about it as her sister. Sweet-Pea can finish 2-3 times the number of books in the same amount of time as Boo.

I would definitely complain. Your daughter followed the rules that she is trying to change after the fact.

I'm realizing she was probably embarrassed that the t-shirts weren't in yet, but still. I am going to assume she didn't realize how she sounded. Last year it was time amount not number of books which seems more "equal" to me.

And again, WHO CARES. Isn't the point just to get people in the library and not go all spanish inquisition on them???? Frankly, if some kid came in and told me they read War and Peace in 20 minutes I would just believe them and move on with my life!

:grouphug:

I get it. DS9 finished Eragon the week our library's program started and was told by one of the librarians it could count. The day he showed up for the check in/program the head librarian told him it didn't because it had to be started after the program started and marked it off his list. :glare: In the grand scheme it isn't a big deal, but since then DS has picked the easiest book that qualifies just so he can meet the goal. I would much rather him take a week or two and tackle something meatier than race to the finish line with junk b/c he just wants a prize.

I really have a love-hate relationship with the summer reading program. :glare:

I will now take a :chillpill: and go find something to clean, I shouldn't have to look far! :tongue_smilie:

It's so funny, I can totally relate to this. I LOVE the library, and yet the summer reading program gets me all wound up every year.

My kids read so much they are always done early. I usually hold off a bit for the reason you mentioned. It's dumb, but that's how some people are.

This is just so silly to me, that we have to LIE to the librarians so they will believe our kids read this much.

Our summer program sets a goal of 5 books read, but does not specify the type of book. After the five books you just circle a number for each additional book. To participate in the party and to get your free book, you only have to read the 5 books.

I feel your pain though...we just recently made a complaint at our library. My DD 7 is also a veracious reader. One library day we went to pick up a good 25+ books that DD had put on hold. While we were checking them out, the librarian told DD that maybe she should think about how many books she can actually read in 3 weeks and not check out more than that...there are other kids who want some books to read too, and she should share :confused:. Our library is not tiny, has ILL, and is not going to be without plenty of books if DD checks out 25-50 books. IF she doesnt get through them, there is such a thing as renual, and if they didnt want you to check out that many, they could always reduce the amount you are allowed to check out.

DD told me after we left the counter that she felt ashamed (her words) and that maybe she should put some of her books back in the book return. I told her that it was fine that she checked out that many and that the librarian was having a bad day. DD was apprehensive about going the next time, so I went alone and picked up her books...and I filed my complaint with the nice librarian who was shocked!

I am still confused about where they get these librarians who discourage good reading (or treat it as a punishment). It makes me so very thankful for the good librarians!

DD told me after we left the counter that she felt ashamed (her words) and that maybe she should put some of her books back in the book return.

That's not okay. Really, any child who is taking out 25 books most likely is going to read them. Maybe not every single one, but it's a good bet that this kid likes to read.

Good grief.

Can i add a rant about our summer program?

The summer book club through our library...... Does not include READING!!!

Dd was all excited to start book club last week and came out very annoyed. They're not reading. In place of the normal reading log? An avon fundraiser!

:svengo:

I'd be making a complaint to her supervisor. There is NO excuse for treating a child like that, especially in a program that was clearly spelled out for rules ahead of time.

:iagree: Rules are rules and they need to quit the analysis and give out the darn t-shirts or just admit they aren't in. I used to get peeved when our library would do this too. It isn't for them to determine what is too hard or not.

Ours has finally changed to a much better format this year. This year you keep track of 30 min. periods of reading. So many 30 min. periods equals each goal. It is so much more fair.

My younger dd can read for 30 min and barely finish a book probably made for someone slightly younger than she. My older inhales books. Now I don't have to punish younger dd for not reading so many books. This time it is equal footing.

If you read an hour like sis did today (or more like 2 hrs in the case of odd) then you don't get so many squares. Very easy and non punitive.

Yeah, that would BUG me to no end too! It's similar to what our libraries said -- just "read a book, and it counts." The person who read the most books got a prize. So my mom made me read books that were at least reasonably on my level, and another kid my age (who was at the top of our class) read picture books and always won. I do like the programs that reward individual accomplishments, rather than have kids compete with each other.

This year, we have to log hours online for our library's summer reading program. I've told my kids that *I* am setting what counts as an hour, because only I have the passwords I set up for them. For DD, who is an excellent reader but who gets bored easily and doesn't finish books, I'm counting 30 pages as an hour (she'll also sit there for an hour if I tell her to "read for an hour" and only read a few pages because she got distracted; I want to encourage her attention to books), and I'm only counting them as she finishes them. For DS1, who is just starting to read on his own, I'm counting picture books beyond the very basic ones, as well as chapter books, with 60 pages counting as an hour. For DS2, time I (or anyone else) read to him counts.

I would love to see a program that has kids set their own goals. For one child, it might be to read 10 books. For another, it might be to read for 20 minutes every day, regardless of how many pages it is. For another child, it might be to finish the entire long Les Miserables in a summer, regardless of whatever else they read.

Edited by happypamama

Our library has a sign up date and then a date where you can start turning in your completed book forms. This seems to work really well. They also have a time vs. amount of reading. Dd has to do 8 total ours. They count pages for adults.

Ours has set dates as well. You can set a goal of 10 or 20 hours (dd1 will be done in a couple of days) but you won't get the prize (pass to an amusement park) until later in the summer.

I would go back in and ask to talk to someone else. Go higher up if you can.

On another note, I'd love a library reading program that awards a t-shirt and a book. Ours just enters dc for a drawing. Last year it was a bike, which would have been great if they won (didn't); this year it's an iPod (I'd rather they win books or a gift certificate to a bookstore). Their chances of winning are so low. I decided that each time they complete a bookmark (read 10 books or for 5 hours, turn in as many bookmarks as you can during the contest period; last year the bookmarks were 20 books or 10 hours) I will let dc pick something from my prize box. I put a little check mark at the bottom corner of their bookmark so I know they've redeemed it for a prize and I can set it aside to take to the library next time we go.

This year our library system has "tasks" that they complete, like "read a book under the stars" or "read a biography" in addition to some slots which are "read for 30 minutes." When they complete a row, they get a little prize, when they complete them all, they get a free book and get entered into a drawing. They have different tasks for different age groups. This is actually working much better for us than previous years when they needed to read so many books, or whatever, but my readers are still racing through the requirements (there's only 12 for the whole summer!).

This year our library system has "tasks" that they complete, like "read a book under the stars" or "read a biography" in addition to some slots which are "read for 30 minutes." When they complete a row, they get a little prize, when they complete them all, they get a free book and get entered into a drawing. They have different tasks for different age groups. This is actually working much better for us than previous years when they needed to read so many books, or whatever, but my readers are still racing through the requirements (there's only 12 for the whole summer!).

Our library is like this also, and I love it. Except I had to institute a rule- one circle a day! DD was trying to do all in one day. :tongue_smilie:

our library does a neat thing every summer...they do the typical summer reading program with the crafts and the snacks and the read aloud. But to encourage the kids to read, they do a BINGO style card with different types of books in each one...a bio, a non-fiction, a certain author, your choice, libraian's choice, etc. My kids LOVE it. You only have to get a BINGO...but my kids go for the black out every year. Our library is so laid back with our summer program...it is WONDERFUL!!!! Sorry your libarian seems so uptight. That's no any fun for the kids.

our library does a neat thing every summer...they do the typical summer reading program with the crafts and the snacks and the read aloud. But to encourage the kids to read, they do a BINGO style card with different types of books in each one...a bio, a non-fiction, a certain author, your choice, libraian's choice, etc. My kids LOVE it. You only have to get a BINGO...but my kids go for the black out every year. Our library is so laid back with our summer program...it is WONDERFUL!!!! Sorry your libarian seems so uptight. That's no any fun for the kids.

I love this!

Ours does timed reading 15 minutes at a time ... drives me crazy with young children who read well (and often) but don't tell time well ...

I just assume we hit the 12 hour mark in two weeks and mark the charts accordingly.

I *love* some of the ideas on this thread, though! I'm going to pass them on to our librarians :)

Ugh. So sorry about that! We are also the kind that I make the kids wait awhile to go in and get our prizes b/c we finish so fast. It is sad that some people are so rude.

I get it.

My kids are book worms. Our library does it by time spent reading. My kids always have LOTS of hours. One time a librarian made kind of a snide comment saying something like "Oh come now, do you want me to think you don't do ANYTHING else with your day rather than read?" Say whaaa?

The thing is, they read more than they turn in there because they feel funny about it. And...good grief, even if they read five hours a day, there's still half a day or more of fun to be had doing other things!

It's completely WEIRD to me.

Our library does coupons, but in first two weeks they run out of the *free xx* coupons and run into the *free kids x with 1 (or 2) adult x*. Well, with a houseful, THAT is not happening on our budget. Honestly, I'd rather treat them myself to Sonic.

I'd be making a complaint to her supervisor. There is NO excuse for treating a child like that, especially in a program that was clearly spelled out for rules ahead of time.

:iagree::iagree:I probably would have said a few choice words at the time.

Our library gives little slips of paper with small clipart style pictures to color in. For children who cannot read on their own yet, they color in one per book that is read to them. For those who can read, they color in one for every 15 minutes spent reading. When you fill it up, you turn it in to one of the three library branches and you get a small prize. Then you get a new sheet and do it again, until you have completed four sheets. At the end of the summer, there is a party for all the children with crafts, snacks, etc. I wish they gave out free books.

Let me just say I am on a rampage lately to ban screen time. I am so frustrated that Nathan, my formerly voracious reader, would rather spend hours on Minecraft, Pottermore (I think that's the name of it), etc.

Ben (who is just as addicted to screen time) has at least read three books so far -- Charlotte's Web, Mr. Popper's Penguins, and Stuart Little. I just got him Henry Huggins.)

Nathan has only read Snow Treasure (forced upon him) and Three Times Lucky. He just keeps listening to the same audio books, and he keeps wanting to read the same books.

:glare:

Ours does timed reading 15 minutes at a time ... drives me crazy with young children who read well (and often) but don't tell time well ...

We're doing the Half Price Books summer reading program, which is a minimum of 15 minutes a day. I tell dc they have to tell me when they start to read and when they finish, or else it won't count. Then I add up the minutes and mark it on their chart.

Our library does coupons, but in first two weeks they run out of the *free xx* coupons and run into the *free kids x with 1 (or 2) adult x*. Well, with a houseful, THAT is not happening on our budget. Honestly, I'd rather treat them myself to Sonic.

Our county library has switched to coupons like that. We aren't doing the program this year for that reason. Last year, my kids felt cheated because we didn't use the "prizes" that they earned, and I was the bad guy who wouldn't take them to Sonic and Applebees.

My kids are the same way. They have already reached the same goal within a week and a half of signing up. However, our library says you cannot turn in your lists until August 1st. To me the point of a summer reading program is to encourage kids to read regardless of how fast or slow, hard or easy the books are etc. Your dd should not have been treated like that. I would be pretty upset, too!

We're doing the half price books program this summer and I'm really hoping we don't run into this with dd since she is so young. They want how many minutes a day she reads - which often is 3+ hours a day by her own choice.

Well, you can't turn those in early, and it's expected to enter the extra time above 15 min/day.

When I know my child's performance is going to be unexpected, or I see that the adult is surprised, I try to gently intervene. I may say, "Oh we spend a lot of time on that" or "X really enjoys that topic." To me, it's just a nice way to keep someone from being caught off guard and thus suffering from foot-in-mouth disease. :)

Wow, way to encourage a love of reading. I was that kind of a kid, and that would've taken a little wind of out my sails, even if I didn't really care about the librarian's opinion. So I get it :(

We have two libraries, one does the standard 'read books for prizes' but the other one is doing a new thing with a lot of potential - they are having a campfire, handing out chapter books, and having an adult read the first few chapters. Then, the kid goes home and reads the rest of the book before the next week. The kids get to keep all the chapter books, though. They will have 10 by the end! They spent over $1000 on the books! :D (It's a one room library, in a consolidated school district that graduates about 50 kids/year.)

I've stopped doing the one here ever since the librarian would only let DD pick from the "little kid" books as prizes, despite a reading log filled with chapter books and novels. Usually the B&N list of books to choose from is books she's already read. Since she's an avid reader in general, I don't worry about "motivating" her. She also really, really hates having to record what she reads.

The only person who signs up for the summer reading program is Diamond, and that is actually as a volunteer.

OK, I *do* sign the other two up, but we really don't care about the prizes...

And I was really surprised that Babybaby is considered to be in the "teen" program. Entering 6th grade and above is considered teen. She is *10*!!!!

Can i add a rant about our summer program?

The summer book club through our library...... Does not include READING!!!

Dd was all excited to start book club last week and came out very annoyed. They're not reading. In place of the normal reading log? An avon fundraiser!

PLEASE tell me you're joking about the Avon fundraiser. Please?

WHY????????????

... My DD 7 is also a veracious reader. One library day we went to pick up a good 25+ books that DD had put on hold. While we were checking them out, the librarian told DD that maybe she should think about how many books she can actually read in 3 weeks and not check out more than that...there are other kids who want some books to read too, and she should share :confused:. ....

DD told me after we left the counter that she felt ashamed (her words) and that maybe she should put some of her books back in the book return. I told her that it was fine that she checked out that many and that the librarian was having a bad day. DD was apprehensive about going the next time, so I went alone and picked up her books...and I filed my complaint with the nice librarian who was shocked!

:grouphug: How very sad. No one questions us- we actually carry our library book in a laundry basket. The librarian tells us we're GREAT for keeping their circulation numbers up.

Does your library REALLY have children crying in the stacks because the library ran out of books?:confused: ANd 25 books in 3 weeks isn;t even a book/day.

So, what happened with your complaint?

I was definitely one of those who staggered home under a load of books from the library and my kids are the same way. We even maxed out the amount we could get from the library (100 books per family, as I discovered:tongue_smilie:). We have a number of branches in our county and I've learned which one's to go to as they all have their own "flavor". Some are rather rude regularly and it makes me wonder why they even go into the field if they don't like to help people! :confused: Our favorite location and the one my older two volunteer at has a great summer reading program, where they read for number of books or time depending on age and get packets of coupons to local attractions. So far we have really enjoyed it and since we know the librarians we don't worry about how quick we get the books read (very fast for most of them)

I'm sorry that so many of you have had poor experiences with your local libraries, it is enough to kill a desire to read in some kids and they should be embarrassed to make children ashamed of learning!:mad:

Guest submarines

I'm going to be the odd one here, and say that I really dislike when reading is associated with external rewards. This is just so wrong on so many levels.

Second, the summer reading probrams are designed to encourage struggling readers. IMHO, a child who loves to read should be discouraged from signing up. Reading should be for the sake of reading--discovering new things, having fun, getting immersed in a good boo, not for the sake of getting a t-shirt. The whole concept of "rewarding" a voracious reader for reading (with a t-shirt, of all things) doesn't make any sense.

But I guess this sounds so strange to me, as I've been a follower of "Punished by Rewards" by Alfie Kohn for years now.

Our library's requirements are 10 regular books or 5 chapter books. My oldest read 8 chapter books and 2 regular books, one of which was non-fiction. This was explained to my oldest son specifically. The librarian told him it was is choice which to read. I made him do mostly chapter bc he can read those books.

The volunteer librarian fussed at him because he was reading below his level by having non-chapter books. For one, we went above and beyond the requirements - his books read counted as 18 according to their rules. And secondly, most non-fiction books for children don't come as chapter books.

My MIL was with him and she didn't say anything, but if I had been there, I certainly would have. he got his bag though, so he is happy.

I'm going to be the odd one here, and say that I really dislike when reading is associated with external rewards. This is just so wrong on so many levels.

Second, the summer reading probrams are designed to encourage struggling readers. IMHO, a child who loves to read should be discouraged from signing up. Reading should be for the sake of reading--discovering new things, having fun, getting immersed in a good boo, not for the sake of getting a t-shirt. The whole concept of "rewarding" a voracious reader for reading (with a t-shirt, of all things) doesn't make any sense.

But I guess this sounds so strange to me, as I've been a follower of "Punished by Rewards" by Alfie Kohn for years now.

So, my daughter shouldn't get what other kids are getting because she reads well? I get what you are saying, I do, but these programs are just designed to get patrons in the library during the "low" summer months. Not to encourage struggling readers. Libraries get funds based on how many books they check out. During the summer, the numbers fall....hence the creation of the summer reading program.

My daughter would read these books whether she was a part of the program or not, why not get a free book and a free t-shirt too?

And if the programs are just for struggling readers they need to be open about that, and give every child a test to determine whether they are actually struggling or not.

My daughter shouldn't feel like she is doing something wrong because she reads well, and quickly. It's like the color of her eyes or her height, she was just born this way.

So, my daughter shouldn't get what other kids are getting because she reads well? I get what you are saying, I do, but these programs are just designed to get patrons in the library during the "low" summer months. Not to encourage struggling readers. Libraries get funds based on how many books they check out. During the summer, the numbers fall....hence the creation of the summer reading program.

My daughter would read these books whether she was a part of the program or not, why not get a free book and a free t-shirt too?

And if the programs are just for struggling readers they need to be open about that, and give every child a test to determine whether they are actually struggling or not.

My daughter shouldn't feel like she is doing something wrong because she reads well, and quickly. It's like the color of her eyes or her height, she was just born this way.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

My rant is a tad different, but summer reading related. My kids all completed the easy Barnes and Noble summer reading program. I was so disappointed by the level of the books associated with each grade. My ds is in 6th and the books for his grade are not even up to the reading level associated with the grade. Some of them were listed on the back of the book for a 4th grader :confused: I realize not all kids are up to their reading level, but come on. I asked a worker and told her how we either had all the books or they were way too babyish for my ds and she just looked at me :confused:

When I was young I really liked the way my library handled it. If you read a certain amount (and it was a lot!) you got your name on a "plaque" on the inside cover of a book. So that when it got checked out on the inside cover was a sticker that said 'In honor of _____________'s Reading Achievment in the Summer of __" or some such thing. I got a huge kick out of it.

There was also an ice cream party....a lower number of books was needed for that.

I see your point, but disagree. My kids stink at sports. They excel at reading, and actually love it. So I let them get prizes for something they are very very good at. Exercise is great for you too, sports, physical activity. They should exercise for the point of exercising, the enjoyment of the game, the health benefits. That doesn't mean a kid shouldn't be rewarded with a prize for sports now and again .... or a team t-shirt. The reading program t-shirt is the team t-shirt for mine.