Menu

What exactly are "mom jeans?"

Amen to that. I find low cut jeans to be extremely uncomfortable.

And I don't like showing off my underwear or butt crack.

If that means I wear "mom jeans" so be it.

Say no to crack!

I don't like the back-end breeze, either. But I've come to not like jeans that reach up to my belly. The only answer is to get rid of muffin top, but that presents problems all its own. Sigh.

While I'm not a fan of the Mom Jean look (and, really, why is it that only "Moms" get attacked with that phrase?), the muffin-top phenomenon is far worse... Seriously, do people not look at themselves in the mirror before they leave the house? Or do they genuinely think that fat rolls are sexy? :001_huh:

While I'm not a fan of the Mom Jean look (and, really, why is it that only "Moms" get attacked with that phrase?), the muffin-top phenomenon is far worse... Seriously, do people not look at themselves in the mirror before they leave the house? Or do they genuinely think that fat rolls are sexy? :001_huh:

:lol:

Yes, but unfortunately only the skinniest of people can wear non-mom jeans without a muffin top. I find those more hideous than "long butt." It seems one can't go anywhere without looking at (sometimes numerous) rolls of fat on the person in line in front of one.

I disagree with this. I think that many "mom" jeans are ill-fitting or the complete wrong style for the wearers body type.

I have a pear shape with short legs. Regular jeans are too long, but petites are too short. My waist is a size smaller than my thigh/hip area. This was the case when I was heavy and it is still the case at 60 pounds lighter. I've done a lot of googling to find out what style of jean looks best on my body. Tapered legs are NEVER a good idea. They make me look like a hippo balancing on stilettos. Jeans that are slightly too short (petite sizes) also accentuate all of the wrong things.

But, I find that a flared leg, that is long enough, goes a long way to keeping me from looking frumpy. A slightly longer length worn with a slightly heeled boot actually makes my short legs look long.

This all means that I look for curvy fit, flared leg and a regular length that I have altered to be the exact right length. No butt crack in sight. But it takes TIME to find something so specific.

Yes, but unfortunately only the skinniest of people can wear non-mom jeans without a muffin top. I find those more hideous than "long butt." It seems one can't go anywhere without looking at (sometimes numerous) rolls of fat on the person in line in front of one.

I know! And I'm not a mom jean fan, either, but muffin tops are FAR worse.

I disagree with this. I think that many "mom" jeans are ill-fitting or the complete wrong style for the wearers body type.

I have a pear shape with short legs. Regular jeans are too long, but petites are too short. My waist is a size smaller than my thigh/hip area. This was the case when I was heavy and it is still the case at 60 pounds lighter. I've done a lot of googling to find out what style of jean looks best on my body. Tapered legs are NEVER a good idea. They make me look like a hippo balancing on stilettos. Jeans that are slightly too short (petite sizes) also accentuate all of the wrong things.

But, I find that a flared leg, that is long enough, goes a long way to keeping me from looking frumpy. A slightly longer length worn with a slightly heeled boot actually makes my short legs look long.

This all means that I look for curvy fit, flared leg and a regular length that I have altered to be the exact right length. No butt crack in sight. But it takes TIME to find something so specific.

So, not to be contentious, but what are you disagreeing with? That muffin top looks better than long butt or that it is hard to go anywhere without seeing rolls of fat hanging out all over the place?

I think part of that is when we stand in the mirror to examine our "look" we tend to stand taller and kinda suck everything in. At least I know I do. So when we aren't thinking about that we kinda slouch and let stuff hang out.

That and not everyone gets that second mirror out to see their backsides fully. :D

So, not to be contentious, but what are you disagreeing with? That muffin top looks better than long butt or that it is hard to go anywhere without seeing rolls of fat hanging out all over the place?

I disagree that all contemporary, well-fitting, pants leave a muffin top and butt crack. I think that many muffin tops and crack visibility come from buying jeans that are too tight.

I think it takes time and , sometimes, many stores to find jeans that fit well and cover all of the bits without looking frumpy.

Edited by snickelfritz

I disagree that all contemporary, well-fitting, pants leave a muffin top and butt crack.

I think it takes time to find jeans that fit well and cover all of the bits.

Okay. I can see that. Unfortunately lots and lots and lots of women don't take the time.

Okay. I can see that. Unfortunately lots and lots and lots of women don't take the time.

AND

They want to buy the outfit that looks so good on that other person who, likely, has a completely different body type.

There are a few things that I have learned that I should never wear (Roman sandals make my legs look even shorter, halter swim suits make me look even more pyramid shaped, tapered legs make my hips look even bigger, etc...). But it's hard to remember those rules when I see my SIL in that really cute outfit with the really cute sandals. But she pulls it off because she is 3 inches taller and a completely different shape than I am.

Edited by snickelfritz

I'll take a long butt over a muffin top any day! FWIW, the right top is a huge factor. A flattering outfit is head-to-toe, not just cheek-to-curve.

LOL, this conversation has me laughing at my computer. I'm one of those people who have a very short torso. If I wear "Mom Jeans" the waist band sits right under my chest. That is a very bad look for me. :D

I was in heaven when the low rise jeans came back in style because I finally had a pair of jeans that sat at my natural waist. I dread the high rise jeans coming back in style.

With my longer legs I can even wear skinny jeans, despite being over weight, and still look decent. Even my skinny sister, who tells it like it is, approves of my low rise skinny jeans.

I promise there is no crack or muffin top. I wouldn't be caught dead in public that way. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people in the US who couldn't say the same. :D

As for what mom jeans are - I agree with the person somewhere above that said they can be any style that is wrong for your body. I too have spent a lot of time looking for the right fit for my body.

:iagree:with Wendy K, completely and totally.

Of course they are not making clothes for real bodies. THe health statisticians tell us how much bigger people have become but the clothes haven't become any bigger.

The problem with jeans is particularly hard on curvy women. It seems like many clothes makers have decided that being fatter means turning into a rectangle. Well not here. I am still curvy even though I am fatter than I was at 25.

I'll take a long butt over a muffin top any day! FWIW, the right top is a huge factor. A flattering outfit is head-to-toe, not just cheek-to-curve.

:iagree: One can cover long butt with the right type of shirt. Personally I don't think I've tucked a shirt into pants since I started dressing myself.

At my thinnest I haven't figured out how to get rid of the muffin top. Whatever weight is left on me always ends up in that area. *sigh*

I don't mind jeans that come just below the belly button. I'm talking the super low rise stuff that I can't stand. That just doesn't fit right.

I find going up a size helps. Of course then you need a belt or suspenders.

Sorry, I liked my Mom jeans. I'm long waisted and long legged. And I refuse to have a muffin top or jeans that feel like they are going to fall off my butt or expose my underwear.

Plus I won't buy a pair of the new style jeans if they don't come with a wide load sign. My butt is wide enough with the help of these new jeans.

I wish I could find Mom jeans. I've searched high and low and tried on pair after pair and finally have given up for knit pants and capris and sweats and dresses.

I disagree that all contemporary, well-fitting, pants leave a muffin top and butt crack. I think that many muffin tops and crack visibility come from buying jeans that are too tight.

Yep. Get jeans that actually fit, and this isn't a problem. Yes- it takes a lot of shopping, but it can be done!

Mid-rise might be more suitable than low for some, and that is fine - go with Mid.

Have a bigger behind? Go with boot cut.

Well, high waists are coming back in at the moment. But you have to be fairly fashion forward to get it right - it is on the edge of the new at the moment. But that probably means in a few years they will be more widely seen.

I disagree that there is only mom-jeans or muffin top. People need to take their jeans to a seamstress if they can't get the right fit. Muffin top means they are too small. And there is a middle ground between bad high waist and low rise.

020212-high-waist-400.jpg

My problem is solved as I have never owned a pair of jeans in my life!

But if I wanted to, I would be screwed. I am 5'2", but extremely short-waisted....it is hard to find anything that looks or fits right, IMHO. Plus, I am curvy. I would rather be curvy than straight though...I think.

I think mom jeans (or mom anything) is when you stop trying to be feminine and become MOM... you know... waist high jeans with the grand pooch, a short sensible haircut, crocheted vests with knitted flowers...etc etc

Now, If I could figure out how to get rid of the Mom pouch...like with titanium enforced mesh girdle panties.... ooh boy! :D

1. Jeans (and most pants in general) generally require some sort of tailoring to fit your body properly. You should not consider the clothing on the rack 'all done and ready to wear' but rather 'mostly fitting me and I have to get it hemmed/taken in in 1-2 areas'. Seriously - most women don't do this and if they would it would make a HUGE difference in how their clothes fit.

2. Muffin Top is often bloating more than anything (though it can also be untoned abdominal muscles). Two words: SHAPE WEAR. THey make great tummy-shapers that you pull on (google 'maidenform waist nipper') and it can really help with this. Other women prefer shaping camis to help suck things in. (As an aside, I know quite a few people who found cutting out wheat REALLY helped with their stomach shape - they lost a lot of bloat and called it 'wheat belly' and find when they eat lots of pasta/bread again they bloat back in specifically that area, they said it has to do with insulin-responses to the flour leading to the abdominal weight gain vs. thigh/hip weight gain?)

3. Mom Jeans - high waisted/flat butt/light stonewash is completely frumpy. At least get a dark wash of jeans - if nothing else. And avoid tapered legs.

Well if only we all had the money to afford tailoring. :D

I never buy tight fighting jeans, yet I still sometimes have a bit of poof out of the top of the jeans if they are too low cut.

Aint that the truth! I have a sewing machine and sew pretty well. But I'd never consider tailoring my own jeans. I pay Mr. Levi's company a lot of money so I don't have to.

And I'm not seeing much bloating or untoned ab muscle. That doesn't run down the back starting above the bra strap and making its way down to the butt.

I think if you can't find jeans that fit well, and can't or don't want to go to a tailor, the best idea is to wear something other than jeans. There are a lot of other options that are as easy to deal with, more flattering, and about the same price.

Even a jean skirt can be better because you don't get the same belly puff out as you would with similarly styled jeans.

FWIW I have short legs, and I've found some of the Old Navy jeans fit without needing to be hemmed - or at least they did last time I bought a pair.

I am due for a new pair now, so that is where I am heading first.

Yep, it's summer. I've just decided to be a kooky old lady and simply solve the problem by going without pants. :tongue_smilie: At least now, everyone knows exactly how long my bottom really is...

(:D, it's summer, I live at the shore. So really, it's mostly bathing suits and cover ups -- no pants!)

I wear a spanx to avoid the muffin top and still have the mid rise.

Well, high waists are coming back in at the moment. But you have to be fairly fashion forward to get it right - it is on the edge of the new at the moment. But that probably means in a few years they will be more widely seen.

I disagree that there is only mom-jeans or muffin top. People need to take their jeans to a seamstress if they can't get the right fit. Muffin top means they are too small. And there is a middle ground between bad high waist and low rise.

020212-high-waist-400.jpg

Am I the only one who finds this photo more disturbing than mom jeans?

I rarely wear jeans. I'm curvy but front to back, not side to side. I think jeans with some stretch are a necessity for curvy girls. I'm also long waisted but have short legs, so length is always an issue. I often do better in a junior size, but not choosing really trendy styles.

Instead I do a lot of other styles of pants.

:iagree: One can cover long butt with the right type of shirt. Personally I don't think I've tucked a shirt into pants since I started dressing myself.

But, the right top could also insure that your butt-crack is covered. I wear a tank top under almost everything for this reason.

OK this is only half way on topic but I saw an ad for these on an as seen on tv commercial today. http://www.trendytopontv.com/

I was nearly rolling on the floor. Why not buy jeans that don't expose your crack when you bend over? LOL. I tend to buy gap curvy jeans but realize they are not the "it" style. I think they look ok.

I actually have several sizes of pants in my closet b/c a 5lb gain pushes me from size 4 to size 6. If I gain more I can only wear my biggest 6's.